All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon May 28, 2007 11:58 am

Wow! Amazing! I can´t wait anymore! 51 years after! Hope there´ll be a lot more 50s concerts out there discoverd and released by MRS...
8)
O.S.

Mon May 28, 2007 12:26 pm

This kind of release is a major missed opportunity for FTD. However I did notice a slight timing issue with the synched sound but whoever did synch it (and I wonder if it might be you Keith Flynn) its f@@kin' great!
Despite all of the recent slagging off of this label and MRS 1 & 2 I bit the bullet and was pleasantly surprised by them. They have re-kindled my interest in the Sun period and I can't wait for the EJ/FTD release. Both will compliment one another despite overlapping. I've been into those books every night since last Thursday and back into them tonight.
Slagging of MRS in favour of FTD's upcoming project is like slagging off bootlegs in favour of RCA/BMG product. At the end of the day we all want our Presley product no matter who puts it out so I reckon get what is improved or new where ever you can. Elvis fans are experiencing great times.

Mon May 28, 2007 12:39 pm

Jim Dandy wrote: I did notice a slight timing issue with the synched sound

But, presumably, the synchronisation on the promo isn't a fully accurate representation of what the actual DVD sound/video will be like. :smt034

It's probably the same as watching YouTube clips on the computer where the sound never quite fits.

Mon May 28, 2007 1:07 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote: I did notice a slight timing issue with the synched sound

But, presumably, the synchronisation on the promo isn't a fully accurate representation of what the actual DVD sound/video will be like. :smt034

It's probably the same as watching YouTube clips on the computer where the sound never quite fits.

I hope your right The Purple Gang, it would be a shame, as this could be corrected, as really anything can be done these days with the right program....to correct speed at both ends...

Nevertheless, having audio added to this footage makes the world of difference, only thing now that is missing in my opinion is having this audio over dubbed in the same way the "Little Rock" audio had been done...

PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Mon May 28, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 28, 2007 1:14 pm

Yvosus wrote:I will surely buy this one but I am a little bit disapointed though: it seems that is not direct sound but that images and sound have been mixed using two different sources. In fact the film is a silent movie and they mixed it with sound tapes we allready know for years. Am I right ? what is you opinion on that?

My opinion is that it is a concert from the 1950's with sound. That's all that matters. Enjoy it for what it is and be glad it's available.

Mon May 28, 2007 1:46 pm

That sounds great!

"I Was The One" is worth the price!

Mon May 28, 2007 4:07 pm

Thanks a lot Keith, great stuff.
I always thought I'm too old to get exited about an upcoming release, you've just proven me wrong.

BTW I was told that the sound has to be amazing in 5.1

Mon May 28, 2007 4:36 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:This kind of release is a major missed opportunity for FTD. However I did notice a slight timing issue with the synched sound but whoever did synch it (and I wonder if it might be you Keith Flynn) its f@@kin' great!
Despite all of the recent slagging off of this label and MRS 1 & 2 I bit the bullet and was pleasantly surprised by them. They have re-kindled my interest in the Sun period and I can't wait for the EJ/FTD release. Both will compliment one another despite overlapping. I've been into those books every night since last Thursday and back into them tonight.
Slagging of MRS in favour of FTD's upcoming project is like slagging off bootlegs in favour of RCA/BMG product. At the end of the day we all want our Presley product no matter who puts it out so I reckon get what is improved or new where ever you can. Elvis fans are experiencing great times.

Can I just point out that I didn't synch anything for this release!

If you've seen the afternoon show footage on my site (Which I did synch together) you'll notice that I got the part I thought was from 'Ready Teddy' wrong! It was actually from 'I Got A Woman'. That was an easy mistake for me to make as I was only working with silent footage :wink:

I've been assured that the footage used on "Tupelo's Own" actually has original audio on it.

Mon May 28, 2007 4:37 pm

Yvosus wrote: I am a little bit disapointed though: it seems that is not direct sound but that images and sound have been mixed using two different sources. In fact the film is a silent movie and they mixed it with sound tapes we allready know for years.

You're right. It's a crappy release with audio and film coming from different sources. What a ripp off! I think I pass this release and buy the new Kissin Cousins dvd instead. It must be superior in everyway to this piece of crap.

NOT! :wink:

Mon May 28, 2007 5:00 pm

This is going to be fantastic - but I wonder what Ernst has up his sleeve? Perhaps a colorized version?

Either way, I'm looking forward to adding both sets to my collection

Mon May 28, 2007 5:24 pm

[quote="Keith F"][

I've been assured that the footage used on "Tupelo's Own" actually has original audio on it

OK very interesting thanks Keith

Mon May 28, 2007 10:52 pm

Sorry, I just got the word from them that this product has no license for USA so will likely not be available here. US fans will no doubt have to get their European buddies to buy it for them and ship it to them on the cuff.
C'est la Vie!

Mon May 28, 2007 11:45 pm

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I just got the word from them that this product has no license for USA so will likely not be available here. US fans will no doubt have to get their European buddies to buy it for them and ship it to them on the cuff.

This is very interesting you say this because when I looked it up on Amazon.com it is listed as region 2.

Mon May 28, 2007 11:51 pm

That looks awesome. Thanks keith 8)

Mon May 28, 2007 11:55 pm

Keith F wrote:
I've been assured that the footage used on "Tupelo's Own"
actually has original audio on it.

Wow, Keith excellent news.....even better....I was a
little worried there :wink:

...Not really... :lol:

This release is really going to be tough to beat this year....

By the way I noticed a little debate whether or not this
was a colorized photo or not....
I noticed this small flaw, which proves it has been colorized
Notice the the guitar bridge it is colored RED as well... :shock:

PEP 8)

Tue May 29, 2007 12:19 am

The film quality loks good and I would hope they are complete songs.

Not too taken with the overdubbed sound though.

Only about a tenth as good as the Ed Sullivan release of last year (how quickly some have forgotten)

Will pass on this and collect the video on YouTube...I already have the sound and have an objection to someone who has just stolen off RCA!

Tue May 29, 2007 1:19 am

KiwiAlan wrote:The film quality loks good and I would hope they are complete songs.

I thought Keith already explained the footage has original sound on it - not overdubbed.

And there are four complete songs, together with some others not complete.

Tue May 29, 2007 1:19 am

KiwiAlan wrote:The film quality loks good and I would hope they are complete songs.

Only about a tenth as good as the Ed Sullivan release of last year (how quickly some have forgotten)

Will pass on this and collect the video on YouTube...I already have the sound and have an objection to someone who has just stolen off RCA!

oh brother! i take it Alan you don't own any bootlegs?

Tue May 29, 2007 1:50 am

Kylan wrote:

oh brother! i take it Alan you don't own any bootlegs?

Yes I have heaps of bootlegs......but none of them are straight rip offs of previously released RCA material.

The logical extension of cheapo labels copying material from RCA/FTD will be that one day Sony?BMG will just not bother to release any material.

In most cases the crappy sound transfer and the crappy packaging hurts rather than enhances Elvis image!

Tue May 29, 2007 1:51 am

KiwiAlan wrote:The film quality looks good and I would
hope they are complete songs.

Song Performances:

1. Heartbreak Hotel
2. Long Tall Sally
3. Presentation to the City
4. I Was The One
5. I Want You, I Need You,
I Love You & I Got a Woman*
6. Don’t Be Cruel
7. Hound Dog*
* Songs available in parts as no footage exist

By looking at this list, One can assume Numbers 1 to 4 will be
complete, Number # 5 will be in parts not complete,
Number # 6 complete, number #7 incomplete

I don't think any of us have forgotten KiwiAlan,
As good as the Ed Sullivan shows were 95% of
what was there relating to Elvis
most had all seen it before over the years, certainly maybe
not in the same quality, but what had been available
had been acceptable for the time period....

This footage in someway's is even more exciting, because
Number One it will be the first time we will be able to see
this footage with matching sound and not just footage we have
seen for years either, but brand new footage, plus you have to keep
in mind this is how Elvis really was in concert without any restrictions,
which also makes this footage exciting to watch an watch and watch
all over again.....!

PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Tue May 29, 2007 1:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tue May 29, 2007 1:52 am

ekenee wrote:Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is very interesting you say this because when I looked it up on Amazon.com it is listed as region 2.

someone else said their site listed it as Region 0. Regardless, I emailed them directly and asked if it would be available in the US and their response was as I already stated, "Sorry No, this product has no license for USA"

That's all I got.

Tue May 29, 2007 2:05 am

PEP wrote: By the way I noticed a little debate whether or not this
was a colorized photo or not....

Further, here's a scan from DJ Fontana's book I noticed the other day that had a cropped version of the original photo.

Tue May 29, 2007 2:07 am

KiwiAlan wrote:

:roll: Amazing you critize them for taking from RCA as
tho they are getting what they are getting for free, which
is wrong, but here you are admitting you will be doing the
same thing....

Kinda ironic isn't it?

oh brother! i take it Alan you don't own any bootlegs?[/quote]

Yes I have heaps of bootlegs......but none of them are straight
rip offs of previously released RCA material.
There is No indication if you read between the lines
that the audio will be coming from RCA material...

The logical extension of cheapo labels copying material from
RCA/FTD will be that one day Sony?BMG will just not bother
to release any material.
Personally I doubt that, if anything this type of
release should encourage RCA/FTD to do better....

In most cases the crappy sound transfer and the crappy
packaging hurts rather than enhances Elvis image!
Good grief, do you know how silly that sounds... :roll:

For whatever the reason I can maybe understand maybe why
some people may not like Joseph Pirzada, but outside looking in,
I'm strickly looking at what is going to be available to any Elvis
fan if they want it at a reasonable price.

At this stage of the game also we do not see
SONY/RCA/BMG/FTD stepping up to the plate with
something of this nature, if they do, they will be
supported too, The SUN project is not too far off,
however in the mean time this is available now an
I certainly will not be passing it by, because of politics
behind the scenes.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G03dEnaZl1k

PEP 8)

Tue May 29, 2007 6:59 am

Given that the audio (if not the newsreels ) is border-line public domain material (depending on where you sit), it's really hard to get bent out of shape over the prospect that RCA /Sony/BMG (or EPE, for that matter) is somehow being robbed of a potential goldmine. Most of us will gladly hand a wad of cash to any soul who could sit down and mate up the RCA Gold box material to the audio - or in this case, find the original audio that went with it.

Besides, it's only through the ingenuity of the import / bootleg market that fans have been able to press the official label to come up with the specialty FTD label anyway. At this point, the import world has probably spurred official releases like the '68 or "Aloha" deluxe editions to be as good as they were.

I look forward to this new MRS release, having previously bought Vol. 1 and having not yet gotten Volume 2. It's a shame that the MRS label has a bit of a cloud over it due to the serious allegations of publishing rare Elvis photographs "without permission," that is, effectively stolen, if the story is to be believed. The impact of this set may help erase such memories...

Roy, as another American I can say that through various channels, including the on-line sources mentioned, us Yanks should have no problem acquiring this set.

In a better world, I agree: it would be on BEST BUY shelves here in the USA right next to the Ed Sullivan set.

I have to say it is really weird to finally hear sound along with this familiar Tupelo footage, although I recall Keith's work with some of it as well. When I showed up in Tupelo in 1993 (making a sidetrip en route to Joplin, Missouri from Atlanta for work reasons), I came across the construction workers who were doing the demolition of these very stands / fairgrounds. :cry: They looked at me at me wearily when I asked if these were the same fair old county fairgrounds that Elvis once played at in the '50s but confirmed that they indeed were...

As with the much somewhat criticized projects like "Live in LA" book / cd or some of the import audience tape shows ("why bother" " goes one refrain), it's great to see all aspects of the King's career being documented, particularly something this historic and primary to Elvis's career.

Tue May 29, 2007 7:37 am

Audio issues aside, previously-unissued, live footage of Elvis Presley is an essential purchase for any serious fan of the man and his music, whether it's from EPE, SOFA/Image or MRS.

One would assume longstanding members of this MB fall into that category, but perhaps that is wishful thinking.

As for distribution issues discussed above, I will be amazed if it is not released in the U.S.!