All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri May 25, 2007 8:46 pm

Hi Daryl!

I see your point! But, you miss out on the fact that Standing Room Only was promoted on the An American Trilogy single cover. And as would fit into your schedule.
The album had been given cat. no and the content has already been displayed by Kiwi earlier on!
You may stick to your opinion on the issue, but the fact remain!

Fri May 25, 2007 10:13 pm

It's amazing but reading through this thread, I haven't seen one word of thanks for 'Johnny Savage's' excellent review.

This is both disappointing and short sighted in the extreme.

Reviews of this kind take appreciable time and effort to write and are written purely for the benefit of those who read them, often in order to help fans decide whether to make a worthwhile purchase.

In my view, there are never enough good reviews in circulation and if people simply moan about someone's work, this is bound to effect their motivation to write more.

A point to consider in future perhaps?

Fri May 25, 2007 10:32 pm

Point taken Mike! I actually heard the CD before I came across the review!
I liked what Johnny wrote, because it was the way I felt about what I was hearing too!
I like what I like, no matter what other people might say! That's why I'm still a fan!

Fri May 25, 2007 10:46 pm

Good on you Bajo.

As in any area of life, a little appreciation goes a long way.

It just struck me that if I was J. Savage, I wouldn't exactly rush to write my next review which would be a shame for any who appreciate a considered view on these titles.

As well as writing them, I am an enthusiastic fan of reviews myself, as often the thoughts and observations of others can generate enthusiasm and direct you to points you may have missed yourself on casual listening.
Last edited by Mike S on Fri May 25, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 25, 2007 10:48 pm

Hello,

Bajo wrote:

I see your point! But, you miss out on the fact that Standing Room Only was promoted on the An American Trilogy single cover. And as would fit into your schedule.
The album had been given cat. no and the content has already been displayed by Kiwi earlier on!
You may stick to your opinion on the issue, but the fact remain!


Just because the "Standing Room Only" LP was promoted on the "American Trilogy" single does not mean that the single version of "An American Trilogy" would have been included on that LP. Look no further than "I've Lost You" and "Patch It Up" from "Elvis: That's The Way It Is." The studio versions were used for singles only and the live versions were used for the LP. Again the "Standing Room Only" LP was to serve as the soundtrack to the MGM film "Elvis On Tour." "Standing Room Only" was the original working title for for the film "Elvis On Tour." The expression "Standing Room Only" is commonly used on live shows, and has no connotation regarding studio material whatsoever. If you can't figure that out, I don't know what to tell you. Therefore no studio material was to be used and the material from Feb. '72 was to try to find a suitable single release.

Again, the "Standing Room Only" LP was to be a live album culled strictly from the best of the April '72 shows. One of the reasons the LP may have never came off is that MGM never turned all the live April show tapes over to RCA in the months prior to the LP's scheduled release date. This would explain the absence of master serial numbers in regard to the April '72 recordings. In the mid-90's, RCA only had one complete show and part of the Greensboro show. It wasn't until around 2000 when Ernst consulted on "Elvis: That's The Way It Is - Special Edition" that RCA was able to acquire all four shows, the rehearsal material and many other outtakes from Elvis' other MGM films as well as the stereo master of "Memories" used in the end credits of "Elvis On Tour."

Daryl

Fri May 25, 2007 11:06 pm

Daryl, if the "standing room only" was to be the soundtrack to "elvis on tour", then it could have used studio songs as there were studio and rehearsal studio stuff in the film.

The whole point is moot though, since RCA at the time could have changed whatever track listing they were thinking of at the last moment and no one would have been the wiser, at the time.

And concerning "american trilogy" it is difficult to know which they would have used, but I am too leaning toward the april version.
The single version of "unchained melody" was different than the LP moody blue version, as a side comparison.

Sat May 26, 2007 3:33 am

Daryl wrote:Hello,

Getting back to the subject of this thread, I think Sony/BMG should try to recapture the spirit of the "Standing Room Only" LP by doing a single CD of the contents of the album culled from the April '72 live recordings.


A CD could be released with April 1972 material, but it would bear little resemblence to the original proposed Standing Room Album LP - the content which we already know would have contained Feb '72 Vegas recordings and the March '72 studio masters.

Continue to beat your drum!

Adios.

Sat May 26, 2007 12:28 pm

Mike S wrote:It's amazing but reading through this thread, I haven't seen one word of thanks for 'Johnny Savage's' excellent review.

THANKS!

Sat May 26, 2007 2:38 pm

Just my two cents worth, but I don't believe there's any way RCA puts out the single of American Trilogy with the sleeve tag about Standing Room Only and then uses a different version of Trilogy on the album.

Those buying/hearing the single would have expected that version on the album, and that's they would have gotten.

Sat May 26, 2007 3:34 pm

Hello,

Matthew wrote:

A CD could be released with April 1972 material, but it would bear little resemblence to the original proposed Standing Room Album LP - the content which we already know would have contained Feb '72 Vegas recordings and the March '72 studio masters.


Where exactly has anyone written that the "Standing Room Only" LP was to consist of the Feb. '72 masters and the March '72 studio recordings? How do you know for sure that the "Standing Room Only" LP would have used the Feb./Mar. '72 material?

JerryNodak wrote:

Just my two cents worth, but I don't believe there's any way RCA puts out the single of American Trilogy with the sleeve tag about Standing Room Only and then uses a different version of Trilogy on the album.


Let me guess Jerry. You would have also expected to see Elvis perform "I've Got A Thing About You Baby"/"Take Good Care Of Her" in the 1974 Easter television special, had that television special occured. Also, the single version of "An American Trilogy" didn't appear on an LP/CD until 1995's "Walk A Mile In My Shoes - The Essential '70s Masters." So what you're suggesting actually happened far longer than what it should have.

MSG LP - not the single version
Aloha LP - not the single version
Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis LP - not the single version
Silver Boxset LP (2 versions of "An American Trilogy" - neither version is the single version, however one is an alternate performance from the Feb. '72 engagement
This Is Elvis - not the single version
The Alternate Aloha - not the single version
The Great Performances - not the single version

Daryl

Sat May 26, 2007 9:16 pm

Hello,

What happened to your post, Jerry? Did you take it off or did the moderator?

So in case anybody missed it, Jerry wrote:

Nobody has any idea what the Easster Special would have been or contained.


In case you weren't following along, RCA released several religious singles throughout Elvis' career just prior to Easter or right around Easter. That's a hint.

"Peace In The Valley" Extended Play - Apr. '57
"Crying In The Chapel" single - Apr. '65
"Joshua Fit The Battle" single - Feb. '66
"Milky White Way" single - Feb. '66
"How Great Thou Art" single - Feb. '67
"You'll Never Walk Alone" single - March '68
"His Hand In Mine" single - March '69
"You'll Never Walk Alone" Camden LP - Mar. '71
"Life" single - Apr. '71
"He Touched Me" single - Feb. '72

So to spell it out for you, Jerry, there's a good chance that the Easter special would have contained many of the religious songs that Elvis had just recorded in December '73 ("Talk About The Good Times", "If That Isn't Love", "I Got A Feeling In My Body", and "Help Me"), gospel songs Elvis had previously recorded '57-'71 and religious songs already in Elvis' live repertoire ("How Great Thou Art") and those recently added ("Why Me, Lord?").

Oh, and leave Tunzi's books out of this discussion. I sense some frustration/anger in your deleted post. Even Ernst's books don't draw the conclusion that the Feb./Mar. '72 material was for the "Standing Room Only" LP. So it's not just Tunzi.

Daryl

Sat May 26, 2007 10:51 pm

Also, the single version of "An American Trilogy" didn't appear on an LP/CD until 1995's "Walk A Mile In My Shoes - The Essential '70s Masters."


Not true - it appeared on the album Elvis - Hits Of The 70's, released in, I think 74, with an aloha pic on the front and a yellow sleeve. I'm leavin, albeit in mono was also included, along with the studio version of I've Lost You.

Image

Sat May 26, 2007 10:55 pm

Hello,

DarrylMac, I was referring to U.S. releases, not U.K. releases. Elvis was after all an American artist.

Daryl

Sat May 26, 2007 11:01 pm

Perhaps you should have specifically said, in that case, that these songs didn't appear on a US album up until the 70's boxset.

Sat May 26, 2007 11:08 pm

Hello,

DarrylMac, is that really necessary. Alterations to the catalog outside the artist's home country are usually considered secondary. For example, here in the U.S. the Beatles U.K. output on LP became the status quo beginning in 1987 I believe when their catalog first appeared on CD. In the last couple years Capitol/EMI has reissued 2 respective boxsets pertaining to the Beatles' U.S. album output, as many American fans clamored for their release because that's how they remembered the Beatles albums.

Daryl

Sun May 27, 2007 12:06 am

We will never know* what was the album to be. And the classifications were paper work that needed to be done and do not necessarily have to be part of one package.... Whats the friggin fuss about an album that never was? Also since it was never assembled...it is not even an unreleased album..just another fantasy album like the "lost" one...albeit weaker..much weaker. Wait a sec!! Its not like had EP lived etc...geeez..the album was just a THOUGHT!!

Sun May 27, 2007 12:58 am

Daryl wrote:How do you know for sure that the "Standing Room Only" LP would have used the Feb./Mar. '72 material?


How do YOU know it would not have. How do YOU know for sure it would have contained April live material.

Answer: you don't. However, there is more evidence that Standing Room Only would have contained said Feb/March material than there is that it would have contained April material.

Indeed, the Burning Love CD is based on this concept - the album that never was.

Daryl wrote:Hello,

DarrylMac, I was referring to U.S. releases, not U.K. releases. Elvis was after all an American artist.

Daryl


Unfortunately you didn't refer to any teritorial releases, you simple said:

Daryl wrote:Also, the single version of "An American Trilogy" didn't appear on an LP/CD until 1995's "Walk A Mile In My Shoes - The Essential '70s Masters."


Which is of course incorrect. The fact you were proved incorrect cause you to alter you stance rather than admit you were wrong.

Daryl wrote:In case you weren't following along, RCA released several religious singles throughout Elvis' career just prior to Easter or right around Easter. That's a hint.

"Peace In The Valley" Extended Play - Apr. '57
"Crying In The Chapel" single - Apr. '65
"Joshua Fit The Battle" single - Feb. '66
"Milky White Way" single - Feb. '66
"How Great Thou Art" single - Feb. '67
"You'll Never Walk Alone" single - March '68
"His Hand In Mine" single - March '69
"You'll Never Walk Alone" Camden LP - Mar. '71
"Life" single - Apr. '71
"He Touched Me" single - Feb. '72

So to spell it out for you, Jerry, there's a good chance that the Easter special would have contained many of the religious songs that Elvis had just recorded in December '73 ("Talk About The Good Times", "If That Isn't Love", "I Got A Feeling In My Body", and "Help Me"), gospel songs Elvis had previously recorded '57-'71 and religious songs already in Elvis' live repertoire ("How Great Thou Art") and those recently added ("Why Me, Lord?").


My, my, you do like to speculate don't you.

Bye bye Daryl
Last edited by Matthew on Sun May 27, 2007 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun May 27, 2007 1:04 am

Hello,

That's funny, I have a 24 page booklet press release put out by BMG in late 1998 that features the upcoming releases for late 1998 through 1999's Artist of The Century campaign. Throughout this press release the "Burning Love" CD is referred to as a compilation and nowhere is there any mention whatsoever that the "Burning Love" CD was the basis of the lost "Standing Room Only" LP. Surely, if the "Burning Love" CD was the based in part on the "Standing Room Only" LP, it would have been mentioned in it.

Daryl

Sun May 27, 2007 1:11 am

:smt015 :smt015 :smt015


Sincerely MB280E

Sun May 27, 2007 1:13 am

.....
Last edited by Juan Luis on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 27, 2007 1:13 am

Hello,

I wrote:

How do you know for sure that the "Standing Room Only" LP would have used the Feb./Mar. '72 material?


Matthew wrote:

However, there is more evidence that Standing Room Only would have contained said Feb/March material than there is that it would have contained April material.


What more evidence that "Standing Room Only" was the Feb./Mar. '72 material? A compilation CD. You recently seemed to have a problem with Gerry not answering your question. So answer my question:

How do you know for sure that the "Standing Room Only" LP would have used the Feb./Mar. '72 material?

Sun May 27, 2007 1:34 am

......
Last edited by Juan Luis on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sun May 27, 2007 1:37 am

Juan Luis wrote:
Whats the friggin fuss about an album that never was?

Just a guess, but I reckon this comes about through having few friends and far too much time on your hands.

However, as has already been pointed out, this thread serves a very useful purpose for insomniacs.

Sun May 27, 2007 1:37 am

May I ask where you have hidden your evidence then Daryl? Reading this very long (it feels incredibly long) tiresome thread I have not seen any post presenting anything which can verify whether or not the planned Standing Room Only LP was to include material from Febr. ´72 and March ´72 or just live material from the April ´72 tour. Ernst isn´t very clear on the subject either (I´ve just read through the chapter dealing with these recordings in his book "A Life In Music"), so it may be a good idea to pose the question to him. Perhaps he has discovered some new information which can enlighten us on this very subject and present us with some solid facts.


Sincerely MB280E

Sun May 27, 2007 1:38 am

Hello Matthew,

Here's a scan of the page that refers to the "Burning Love" CD.

Image

Note what the page says:

"Two new compilations" (Also referring to "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" on same page.)

Daryl
Last edited by Daryl on Mon May 28, 2007 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.