All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue May 22, 2007 1:20 am

The Madison project would not have proceeded had Standing Room Only been deemed worthy of issue!

Tue May 22, 2007 1:39 am

midnightx wrote:Yeah, except for the part "...the improvement in audio quality by engineer Lene Reidel, as with the entire CD, is terrific." It is plainly obvious that Lene's work on this CD (and in general) is very questionable.

No mate, this time, she's really done great work. The tracks come in much better sound quality than on the "Live In Las Vegas" box.

Tue May 22, 2007 1:46 am

KiwiAlan wrote:STANDING ROOM ONLY LSP 4762
Side One (Live)
BPA5 1142 Never Been To Spain Feb 14 '72
BPA5 1143 You Gave Me A Mountain Feb 15 '72
BPA5 1144 A Big Hunk Of Love Feb 15 '72
BPA5 1145 It's Impossible Feb 16 '72
BPA5 1146 The Impossible Dream Feb 16 '72
BPA5 1147 An American Trilogy Feb 17 '72
BPA5 1148 It's Over Feb 17 '72

Side Two (Studio)
BPA3 1149 Separate Ways Mar 27 '72
BPA3 1150 For The Good Times Mar 27 '72
BPA3 1151 Where Do You come From Mar 27 '72
BPA3 1257 Burning Love Mar 28 '72
BPA3 1258 Fool Mar 28 '72
BPA3 1259 Always On my mind Mar 29 '72
BPA3 1260 It's A Matter Of Time Mar 29 '72

Release date May 1972

As mentioned The album was noted on the An American Trilogy single released April 1972.


Now this would make a great 'classic' album on FTD. Use the mockup artwork along with the An American Trilogy single artwork. I don't think there would be too much of an uproar that the image is the same as Madison Square Garden. Besides, how else will the March '72 studio material be fitted into the series?

Tue May 22, 2007 1:53 am

KiwiAlan wrote:STANDING ROOM ONLY LSP 4762
Side Two (Studio)
BPA3 1151 Where Do You come From Mar 27 '72

Whoa! This might make for interesting listening.

Tue May 22, 2007 2:13 am

While you mention it Matthew, reminds me of the CD I came to think of when the SRO LP was mentioned. The album that contain all the tracks that was suppose to make up that LP plus some extras:

"Burning Love"
1. Burning Love
2. Never Been To Spain
3. You Gave Me A Mountain
4. I’m Leavin’
5. It’s Only Love
6. Always On My Mind
7. It’s Impossible
8. It’s Over
9. Separate Ways
10. Fool
11. Hound Dog
12. Little Sister/Get Back
13. A Big Hunk O’ Love
14. Where Do I Go From Here
15. For The Good Times
16. An American Trilogy
17. The Impossible Dream

This is a much underrated album imo. But, I've always liked it and the mix between studio and live recordings works very well here!
As such, maybe "The classic" album you were searching for?

Tue May 22, 2007 3:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:STANDING ROOM ONLY LSP 4762
Side Two (Studio)
BPA3 1151 Where Do You come From Mar 27 '72

Whoa! This might make for interesting listening.


Right. You are the only one to notice my deliberate error :D

It should be of course "Where Do I Go From Here"

Tue May 22, 2007 3:51 am

bajo wrote:While you mention it Matthew, reminds me of the CD I came to think of when the SRO LP was mentioned. The album that contain all the tracks that was suppose to make up that LP plus some extras:

"Burning Love"
1. Burning Love
2. Never Been To Spain
3. You Gave Me A Mountain
4. I’m Leavin’
5. It’s Only Love
6. Always On My Mind
7. It’s Impossible
8. It’s Over
9. Separate Ways
10. Fool
11. Hound Dog
12. Little Sister/Get Back
13. A Big Hunk O’ Love
14. Where Do I Go From Here
15. For The Good Times
16. An American Trilogy
17. The Impossible Dream

This is a much underrated album imo. But, I've always liked it and the mix between studio and live recordings works very well here!
As such, maybe "The classic" album you were searching for?


Yes and no. I do really like listening to this CD but whilst it contains all the scheduled material for Standing Room Only I think the original planned running order and track selection would make a more "authentic" release on FTD. Several songs on Burning Love are out of place: It's Only Love, I'm Leaving, Hound Dog, and maybe Little Sister/Get Back. Certainly I would have bumped out Hound Dog and included The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face as this was the b-side to An American Trilogy. Plus I do believe the Burning Love album works better with It's A Matter Of Time prior to An American Trilogy 8)

Fri May 25, 2007 1:25 am

Hello,

Much like the February '72 recordings, the March '72 sessions done in Hollywood were for the distinct purpose of finding a hit record, which they did ("Burning Love" #2 / "Separate Ways" #20). Never would RCA use up all of those potential singles on one album, given that they'd only made one pairing so far ("Burning Love"/"It's A Matter Of Time" - Aug. '72). The "Standing Room Only" LP wasn't to come out until October and the next single "Separate Ways"/"Always On My Mind" didn't come out until November.

RCA didn't include "Suspicious Minds", "Don't Cry Daddy", or "Kentucky Rain" on "From Elvis In Memphis." One of the reasons RCA didn't do this is because you hurt potential singles sales. It would serve no purpose whatsoever to release all of those March '72 studio recordings on an album in October and then start releasing singles afterwards of those same recordings. The fans that had already bought the album would have thought to themselves, 'Why the he!! do I need this new single. I already got it on the "Standing Room Only" LP. I can't think of one time in Elvis' career where that many future singles ("Separate Ways", "Always On My Mind", "Fool") were to be released on an album before they appeared on singles. That's because the plan was for the "Standing Room Only" LP to be a live soundtrack LP to "Elvis On Tour." Therefore, no studio material. The March '72 studio material was originally strictly for single consideration. "For The Good Times" fell by the wayside once the MSG LP was released and "Where Do I Go From Here" was originally the B-side of "Fool", with "Fool" taking the A-side. However, once RCA received popular demand for "Steamroller Blues" from the Aloha LP (The Aloha LP was released in Feb. '73, "Steamroller Blues" in March '73), the decision was made to drop "Where Do I Go From Here" in favor of "Steamroller Blues" as the A-side with "Fool" as the B-side.

Daryl

Fri May 25, 2007 1:27 am

Daryl wrote:Hello,

Much like the February '72 recordings, the March '72 sessions done in Hollywood were for the distinct purpose of finding a hit record, which they did ("Burning Love" #2 / "Separate Ways" #20). Never would RCA use up all of those potential singles on one album, given that they'd only made one pairing so far ("Burning Love"/"It's A Matter Of Time" - Aug. '72). The "Standing Room Only" LP wasn't to come out until October and the next single "Separate Ways"/"Always On My Mind" didn't come out until November.

RCA didn't include "Suspicious Minds", "Don't Cry Daddy", or "Kentucky Rain" on "From Elvis In Memphis." One of the reasons RCA didn't do this is because you hurt potential singles sales. It would serve no purpose whatsoever to release all of those March '72 studio recordings on an album in October and then start releasing singles afterwards of those same recordings. The fans that had already bought the album would have thought to themselves, 'Why the he!! do I need this new single. I already got it on the "Standing Room Only" LP. I can't think of one time in Elvis' career where that many future singles ("Separate Ways", "Always On My Mind", "Fool") were to be released on an album before they appeared on singles. That's because the plan was for the "Standing Room Only" LP to be a live soundtrack LP to "Elvis On Tour." Therefore, no studio material. The March '72 studio material was originally strictly for single consideration. "For The Good Times" fell by the wayside once the MSG LP was released and "Where Do I Go From Here" was originally the B-side of "Fool", with "Fool" taking the A-side. However, once RCA received popular demand for "Steamroller Blues" from the Aloha LP (The Aloha LP was released in Feb. '73, "Steamroller Blues" in March '73), the decision was made to drop "Where Do I Go From Here" in favor of "Steamroller Blues" as the A-side with "Fool" as the B-side.

Daryl


:roll: It never ends.

Fri May 25, 2007 1:30 am

What never ends, Matthew?

The fact that you can't look yourself in the mirror and just admit that I'm right.

Fri May 25, 2007 1:36 am

Daryl wrote:What never ends, Matthew?

The fact that you can't look yourself in the mirror and just admit that I troll.


Fix'd.

Fri May 25, 2007 1:41 am

Are you intoxicated, Matthew? Are you constantly tripping over empty bottles trying desperately to make your way to the mirror, only failing each time.

I understand you a whole lot better.

Fri May 25, 2007 2:07 am

Daryl wrote:Are you intoxicated, Matthew? Are you constantly tripping over empty bottles trying desperately to make your way to the mirror, only failing each time.

I understand you a whole lot better.


You are right Daryl, I've seen the error of my ways. How could I have been so blind. Your postings on the life and works of Elvis Presley are peerless and thus you do not need to substantiate any of the information you post for your reputation alone is enough.

Thank you for pulling me through these trying times.

Fri May 25, 2007 2:14 am

You're so very welcome, Matthew.

The only substantiation I need is the fact that "Johnny Savage" hasn't posted on this thread. I don't need any reputation to state fact.

Daryl
Last edited by Daryl on Fri May 25, 2007 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 25, 2007 2:24 am

Daryl wrote:I don't state fact.

Daryl


Indeed. Small steps.

Fri May 25, 2007 3:01 am

I though modifying someone Else's posts was a big No No on this board???


:wink:

Fri May 25, 2007 3:01 am

Please refrain from misquoting me so as to make your post look smart/witty/charming/etc. It comes off as childish.

Fri May 25, 2007 3:05 am

sam wrote:I though modifying someone Else's posts was a big No No on this board???

Matthew just neglected to include ellipses. His humour was never in doubt.

Fri May 25, 2007 3:08 am

Hello,

Dr. John Carpenter wrote:

His humour was never in doubt.


Sometimes I wonder about that (and a few other things regarding Matthew).

As Sam brought up, where is the moderator, Doc? Don't you have him on speed-dial by now.

Daryl

Fri May 25, 2007 3:16 am

Hi Daryl!

Calling for the moderator? What is this?

"Are you intoxicated, Matthew? Are you constantly tripping over empty bottles trying desperately to make your way to the mirror, only failing each time."

Sorry to say, but your opinions doesn't change facts!

Fri May 25, 2007 3:20 am

Hello,

Bajo, I only asked if he was, I didn't say that he was intoxicated.

Notice the subtlety in that I asked in the form of a question. Therefore no name calling.

Daryl

Fri May 25, 2007 6:43 am

Hello,

Getting back to the subject of this thread, I think Sony/BMG should try to recapture the spirit of the "Standing Room Only" LP by doing a single CD of the contents of the album culled from the April '72 live recordings. It could even be billed as Elvis' truly lost album. Use the original mockup. Why can't it be billed sort of like what Capitol/EMI did with "Let It Be...Naked" a few years ago. Only in this case, it would be the album that never was, instead of the album the way it should have been. Build up some publicity behind it and also use it in tandem with an "Elvis On Tour" - Special Edition DVD set. Maybe even do a 5.1 DVD-Audio/SACD release of the album for the audiophile. Maybe Sony/BMG could even license a few filmed performances from Warner Brothers. Why not make the album a music video album, consisting of the 15 tracks listed below. If marketed with the right publicity, it would sell. Has any artist ever done a new album of filmed performances on DVD? But the sound got to be kick-ass first and foremost. Heck, even give it the same catalog number LSP-4762.

"Standing Room Only" - LSP-4762

Also Sprach Zarathustra (2001 Theme) / See See Rider / Proud Mary / Never Been To Spain / You Gave Me A Mountain / Polk Salad Annie / I Can't Stop Loving You / An American Trilogy / It's Over / Burning Love / For The Good Times / A Big Hunk O' Love / Funny How Time Slips Away / Can't Help Falling In Love / Closing Vamp

Just an idea.

Daryl

Fri May 25, 2007 11:15 am

Daryl,

Your argument about singles loses credibility, as throughout the rest of the 70's, his singles would appear on the albums too. Who's to say that Standing Room Only wouldn't have been the first?

Fool appeared on Elvis, Raised On Rock on the album of the same name, My Boy and Ive Got A Thing About You on Good Times, Promised Land on the album of the same name, Today featured T.R.O.U.B.L.E etc etc.

If all you base your facts on is the speculative nature of Joe Tunzi's work, you've got a long way to go.

Fri May 25, 2007 12:04 pm

Hello DarrylMac,

Again, you entirely miss my point. Never did an album debut with that many future singles ("Separate Ways", "Always On My Mind", "Fool" and nearly "Where Do I Go From Here") yet to be released as singles. The general procedure was to put out the singles prior to the LP. Take Elvis' '70s output from '70-'77 as your example:

"The Wonder Of You" - released in Apr. '70
"On Stage" LP released in June '70

"I've Lost You" - released in July '70
"You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" - released in October '70
"TTWII" Soundtrack LP - released in Nov. '70

"I Really Don't Want To Know" - released in December '70
"Elvis Country" LP- released in Jan. '71

"Life" - released in April '71
"Love Letters From Elvis" LP released in June '71

"I'm Leavin' - released in June '71*

"It's Only Love" - released in September '71*

* -"I'm Leavin'" and "It's Only Love" don't appear on LP until 1980's Silver boxset.

"Elvis Sings The Wonderful World Of Christmas" LP - released in Oct. '71
"Merry Christmas Baby" released in Nov. '71 (one of a few exceptions)

"Until It's Time For You To Go" - released in Jan. '72
"Elvis Now" - released in Feb. '72

"He Touched Me" single - released in Feb. '72
"He Touched Me" LP - released in Apr. '72

"An American Trilogy" - released in Apr. '72*

* - single version from Feb. '72 not featured on an LP during Elvis' lifetime. However, various live versions of "An American Trilogy" appear on the MSG LP (released in June '72), "Aloha" LP (released in Feb. '73) and "Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis" (released in July '74)

"Burning Love" single - released in Aug. '72
"Burning Love & Hits From His Movies LP - released in Nov. '72

"Separate Ways" single - released in Nov. '72
"Separate Ways" LP - released in Dec. '72

"Aloha From Hawaii" LP - released in Feb. '73*
"Steamroller Blues" - released in March '73*

* - Again this was an exception, namely because of the popular demand RCA got to pull "Steamroller Blues" from the LP as a single, which knocked "Where Do I Go From Here" off the single entirely and relegated "Fool" to the B-side.

"Fool" LP - released in July '73

"Raised On Rock" single - released in September '73
"Raised On Rock" LP - released in October '73

"I've Got A Thing About You Baby" - released in Jan. '74
"Good Times" LP - released in March '74

"Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis" LP - released in July '74 (no single release pulled from it)

"If You Talk In Your Sleep" - released May '74
"Promised Land" single - released in Sept. '74
"Promised Land" LP - released in Jan. '75

"My Boy" - released in Jan. '75*

* - "My Boy" is pulled as a single from the "Good Times" LP in the U.S. due to the recent success in England. Here in the states it is paired with "Thinking About You" from the above mentioned "Promised Land" LP

"T-R-O-U-B-L-E" - released in Apr. '75
"Today" LP - released in May '75

"Bringin' It Back" -released in September '75*

* - One of a handful of exceptions. This may be one of many reasons why this single did so poorly on the charts.

"Hurt" - released in March '76
"From E.P. Boulevard" LP - released in April '76

"Moody Blue" single - released in Nov. '76
"Way Down" single - released in June '77
"Moody Blue" LP - released in July '77

Daryl

Fri May 25, 2007 5:59 pm

I do understand that side of your point, ie this would have been the first original album to include a number of possible future singles, including some yet to be released.

However one point you miss is that the singles were only released once the album was shelved. In other words, if the album had gone ahead, perhaps they may have made different singles choices, perhaps pulling no more than 2 A sides, and 2 B sides from the album, which would be more common moving forwards.

The point of the Vegas 72 recordings was to record new material in Elvis' repertoire to add to an album, and once they knew they only had half a dozen songs, Elvis went in to the studio to record enough for the second side - ie the Standing Room Only album.