All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:33 am

boppin bob wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
Ringrock wrote:Are CD's nowaday's made to sound best through headphones instead of speaker systems ?
That would be a huge mistake! To mix and master nothing but good nearfield monitors should be used! the most expensive,best headphones in the world do NOT reperesent music as it sounds through regular speakers. the best masterings sound good in everything including headphones. This is fact.

Actually you will need three loudspeaker types, headphones for detail work (faultfinding, stereo testing and repairs), near field small monitors to represent most home speakers and large full range speakers, to test complete sound balance and dynamic range.
Nearfield is first though. And the first to be heard by engineer...if it sounds crappy no headphones etc yet even considered unless it was for a correction and a given that everything else is ok.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bpd wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Kevan Budd did the remastering folks, don't let uninformed opinions throw you.

And don't throw the uninformed opinions.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bpd

Glad you caught the reference -- you're the only one, maybe.
Not really....I just thought it was way too easy! :lol:

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:50 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Oh, I got it, too, as many hopefully did. I always liked that original line, particularly from an apparently "out of it" Elvis.

Elvis might have been more than just nervous when he said his little joke in 1977, but he was anything but "out of it" when he ran the same joke down in Vegas back in August 1970.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:51 am

This is one i intend to purchase at one time or another. Great songs, lots and lots of great outtakes, and the sound is bound to be good
By the way, i almost never listen to cd's through head phones. I like it better through the speaker system, becuase i feel i can close my eyes and think the band or artist is playing in front of me. The best release i ahve for that is The Doors Perception boxset. The sound is so equal and good you feel The Doors are playing in front of you. Another great one is Elvis: Afternoon in the garden.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Oh, I got it, too, as many hopefully did. I always liked that original line, particularly from an apparently "out of it" Elvis.

Elvis might have been more than just nervous when he said his little joke in 1977, but he was anything but "out of it" when he ran the same joke down in Vegas back in August 1970.

Yes, I've head that, too, years later, though. Where can it be heard?

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:11 am

Either TTWII, TTWII-SE or The Lost Performances. Can't recall right now.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:19 am

Hello,

Doc, a self-proclaimed Elvis expert like you can't recall where Elvis said this at. It was in the original TTWII prior to performing Love Me Tender.

Daryl

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:40 am

Daryl, admit it. You just popped the VHS tape in the player and found out where the dialogue was from.

Ok, Daryl for bonus points. Before what song, did he say it in the 1977 footage?

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:55 am

That's an easy one. It's between See See Rider and That's All Right.

Daryl

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:24 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:becuase ahve.

Please translate.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:38 pm

Rob, you have heard of typing errors on your planet, right? :P :lol:

Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:08 pm

boppin bob wrote:
The Japanese paper sleeve is the same as the 50s box but with the dynamics clipped leading to distortion in a bid to win the loudness race. (something common to several of the Japanese paper sleeves that the pro Japanese fans tend to overlook!)It features the same unnatural digital echo, EQ banding, and rolled off HF and bares no relation to the original LP in anyway :roll:

What you like is what you like but some here talk utter nonsense.

At last.....someone else realises what the Japanese are doing.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:17 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:
boppin bob wrote:
The Japanese paper sleeve is the same as the 50s box but with the dynamics clipped leading to distortion in a bid to win the loudness race. (something common to several of the Japanese paper sleeves that the pro Japanese fans tend to overlook!)It features the same unnatural digital echo, EQ banding, and rolled off HF and bares no relation to the original LP in anyway :roll:

I can't help but think that this is not the only 24bit reissue that has been tempered with, the 24bit version of "Elvis is back" sounds very loud also. There is a purity to the sound on the FTD releases of "Elvis is back" or "50 Million Fans" that's very refreshing as it runs so contrary to the trend of loudness maximization in the digital age.

The problem we are having now is that most of us have been conditioned by the overcompressed and over-EQ'd sound on 30#1 Hits and it seems hard to go back to listen to something that actually has room to breathe (aka dynamics), and which requires attentive listening, rather than being constantly inundated by maximum levels.

As was previously mentioned these releases really need to be played back on a good stereo system at high volumes to be fully appreciated. If that's not an option for you or you are in the mood for the 30#1 Hits "signature sound" simply press the loudness button on your stereo (boy, could the producers have saved some money here)!
Last edited by thenexte on Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:53 pm

thenexte: "Loudness maximization." I like that term. Very appropriate.
That's also my number one complaint about the digital age and CDs generally.

Commandment #1 of the digital age seems to be: "Loud is good and all else is secondary."

Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:06 am

Some of the pictures are not that good, but both CDs more than make up for that. The sound is incredible, as usual. Hats off to Kevan Budd.

There are 34 unreleased takes here, which is amazing.

The way he sings "another gu-huy" is just awesome. Long live the King!

Per

Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:19 am

That Elvis Sails EP is the perfect ending to this fantastic FTD edition, because it sets the scene perfectly to Elvis’s return two years later and the Elvis Is Back! LP.

Without FTD, there would be nothing.

Per

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:17 am

So, finally I've got it! I've only been through CD1, watching football.
But, Kevin "my buddy", has done it again! I can't wait for Elvis' Golden Records!! (Vol.1)
I've been on this train for so long now, and having Elvis' Gold Records Vol. 2, in the original running order, not to mention the sound, like this...!
Memories are made of this!
Thank you Kevan! I don't know how long you've been on this train, but this one and the other 50¨'s deliveries are beyond call!
This is so close to what I remembered hearing, the first time I heard these recordings!
I'm in awe...
..in no running order: Doncha Think It's Time, A Big Hunk O' Love, Your Cheatin' Heart with outtakes...ooohhh...This is Classic Ernst!
Thanks!!!

Mon May 07, 2007 9:22 pm

I finally recieved my copy of this FTD and I'll be damned if it ain't one of the best FTDs ever!

As always, Mr. Budd is the man - the sound is wonderful. And I am so glad that the artwork department is back on the right track again. To be honest, I didn't like the booklets to Elvis Presley, Clambake, Loving You and Something For Everybody too much. Weird use of colors and so on... But this one looks fantastic, just like His Hand In Mine did. Very stylish layout, plenty of nice photos, ultra cool memorabilia, and it's also much easier to read the text now. This looks as good as the booklets to Elvis Is Back, Harum Scarum and other early FTD classics. Well done, friends!

There are a couple of photos of Elvis in his gold suit that I hadn't seen before. And some publicity shots in glorious color. Very, very cool. And I simply adore the covers for Elvis's 50s singles. Art doesn't get any better than that...

And it was a nice touch to include the Elvis Sails EP at the end. I had never heard that one before. Cooool!

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Tue May 08, 2007 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 08, 2007 12:49 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I finally recieved my copy of this FTD and boy it's good! In fact I'll be damned if it ain't one of the best FTDs ever!

Glad you like it and I totally agree with you.

Anyone passing up on this gem has deprived themselves beyond comprehension.

Tue May 08, 2007 3:25 am

thekingisalive wrote:

Per

Can you clarify what you wrote above thekingisalive? Is that 34 previously unreleased (officially) outtakes?

Tue May 08, 2007 7:16 am

thenexte wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:
boppin bob wrote:

I can't help but think that this is not the only 24bit reissue that has been tempered with, the 24bit version of "Elvis is back" sounds very loud also. There is a purity to the sound on the FTD releases of "Elvis is back" or "50 Million Fans" that's very refreshing as it runs so contrary to the trend of loudness maximization in the digital age.

The problem we are having now is that most of us have been conditioned by the overcompressed and over-EQ'd sound on 30#1 Hits and it seems hard to go back to listen to something that actually has room to breathe (aka dynamics), and which requires attentive listening, rather than being constantly inundated by maximum levels.

As was previously mentioned these releases really need to be played back on a good stereo system at high volumes to be fully appreciated. If that's not an option for you or you are in the mood for the 30#1 Hits "signature sound" simply press the loudness button on your stereo (boy, could the producers have saved some money here)!
Very foolish to put all 24bits in one basket! Plenty of good ones like Elvis Today and Gospel cds!.... thenexte you are republican one day ..democrat, independent..so I will no longer agree with you cause your opinions seem to have expiration dates!! :lol:

Tue May 08, 2007 8:41 am

Pete Dube wrote:
thekingisalive wrote:

Per

Can you clarify what you wrote above thekingisalive? Is that 34 previously unreleased (officially) outtakes?

Yes - most of the material has been out on bootlegs. But not in this sound quality!!

Tue May 08, 2007 9:37 am

I hope they'll release Elvis, Speedway, Rouastabout, Kissin' Cousins and Girls, Girls, Girls in this series. Yes, I know there are (almost) no outtakes - but who cares? The main attraction for me is to have these albums in perfect sound quality and perfect packaging. The outtakes are nice of course, but they are not the most important thing.

It was a stroke of genius on FTD's part to use the 7" format for this series!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue May 08, 2007 9:56 am

Keith Richards wrote:
I hope they'll release Elvis, Speedway, Rouastabout, Kissin' Cousins and Girls, Girls, Girls in this series. Yes, I know there are (almost) no outtakes - but who cares? The main attraction for me is to have these albums in perfect sound quality and perfect packaging. The outtakes are nice of course, but they are not the most important thing.

I also hope that they will release these albums in deluxe format because i still don't have 3 of them in any form. They have several outtakes and i don't mind if the running time will be only around 45 minutes.
For 'Elvis' they can use interviews recorded in the second half of '56. There are several,i hope they own at least a few of them. There was a nice radio ad (or something so) on october 25th when he introduced his new album,'Elvis'.
Last edited by Johanesson on Tue May 08, 2007 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 08, 2007 9:59 am

Johanesson wrote:I also hope that they will release these albums in deluxe format because i still don't have 3 of them in any form. They have several outtakes and i don't mind if the running time will be only around 45 minutes.
For 'Elvis' they can use interviews recorded in the second half of '56. There are several,i hope they own at least a few of them. There was a nice radio ad (or something so) on october 25th when he introduced his new album,'Elvis'.

Good idea! Interviews are always interesting. And for Kissin' Cousins and Girls, Girls, Girls they can add the mono version of the album as bonus. There are many options.

Keith Richards, Jr.