All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:44 am

I don’t give a damn about bootlegs.

Per

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:56 am

Spellbinder wrote:
thekingisalive wrote:Spellbinder, most of the outtakes have never been released before. If you have this release, just check out the booklet for info on what’s been out before. It’s all right there.

Per

In fact, most of them have been released before. The booklet won't help you. The FTD booklets tend not to cover bootleg releases.

And rightfully they shouldn't. Just because something has been released illegally doesn't change the status of the RCA recording from being officially unreleased. The number of sold bootlegs vs the outreached of this new FTD counter this. This music is now more freely available and in the best sound quality possible.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:53 am

Ringrock wrote:I have the feeling somthing in the whole process went really wrong. Or I'm just starting to become deaf since last Friday and need a hearing aid....

Your "feeling" is erroneous, your realization spot-on.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:55 am

I wish I had these discs; I don't yet. But I can't believe Kevan would give us anything less than the best.

confused?

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:07 am

I tried to do some A to B comparisons yesterday using the songs on 24 K Gold (Hoffman), 30 no 1's and 2d to none. To be honest I think I just confused myself more! My feeling is the Hoffman disk has the best sound quality which I guess could be expected as it uses 24 bit technology. However, initially I also preferred 30 no 1's to the FTD but this is where it gets difficult - doing a quick A to B can be misleading. The no 1 disk jumps straight out at you and on first listen sounds more impressive. But on closer listening I think that is misleading. Whilst the FTD doesn't grab you in the same way I think it has a better balance - certainly not as shouty for want of a better discreption.

To be honest I think all four disks make the 50's material sound so much better than you could expect from 50 year old material. It would take quite a bit more time to figure out which one comes out tops (apart from the Hoffman disk) but the bottom line is it's a great FTD release with very good sound quality - albeit perhaps not the best ever?

cheers Jamie

Re: confused?

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:30 am

Jamie wrote:I tried to do some A to B comparisons yesterday using the songs on 24 K Gold (Hoffman), 30 no 1's and 2d to none. To be honest I think I just confused myself more! My feeling is the Hoffman disk has the best sound quality which I guess could be expected as it uses 24 bit technology. However, initially I also preferred 30 no 1's to the FTD but this is where it gets difficult - doing a quick A to B can be misleading. The no 1 disk jumps straight out at you and on first listen sounds more impressive. But on closer listening I think that is misleading. Whilst the FTD doesn't grab you in the same way I think it has a better balance - certainly not as shouty for want of a better discreption.

To be honest I think all four disks make the 50's material sound so much better than you could expect from 50 year old material. It would take quite a bit more time to figure out which one comes out tops (apart from the Hoffman disk) but the bottom line is it's a great FTD release with very good sound quality - albeit perhaps not the best ever?

cheers Jamie

I think that 30#1 hits sounds poor. It's compressed and the eq choices are less than great. The new FTD is far more balanced and not compressed at all to my ears.
24 Karat Hits doesn't use 24 bit technology. It was mastered using vintage tube equipment.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:37 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ringrock wrote:I have the feeling somthing in the whole process went really wrong. Or I'm just starting to become deaf since last Friday and need a hearing aid....

Your "feeling" is erroneous, your realization spot-on.

But that's just too much of a coincidence :?
And other music still sounds like it alway's did.
But last night I listened to the CD again this time with headphones. And then it doesn't sound that bad anymore, although it still misses some of it's details now that I already knew what to listen for.
Are CD's nowaday's made to sound best through headphones instead of speaker systems ?
Is it a coincidence that after only a few day's already a few people have noticed it ? I don't know what it is but I'm 100 % sure something is not ok with these discs. There is something very specific with these discs (and not others) that doesn't make a good combination with my ears and brains.
I'm just very curious what it is :?: The effect is so clearly heard. It reminds me of something that once happened when I recorded a record on my computer to make a CD. The wave forms and amnplitudes were all OK and through headphones the music was OK, but on a car HIFI system of a friend of mine and also on my own speaker system it sounded dead.

:?: :?:

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:24 pm

Ringrock wrote:But last night I listened to the CD again this time with headphones. And then it doesn't sound that bad anymore.

I'm not sure what you think you're hearing (or not hearing) but I think these discs sound great as usual.

Ringrock wrote:Are CD's nowaday's made to sound best through headphones instead of speaker systems?

I have said many times (too many actually) that you always get the best effect when using headphones. I never listen to FTD's or imports if I can't take the time to sit down and put the headphones on.

If you continue to have trouble with the sound of this great release, click on the link below and it will more than likely help you out.

Good luck.

http://www.beltone.com/welcome/

Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:00 pm

thekingisalive wrote: just check out the booklet for info on what’s been out before.

Per

that's IF you can read it ... :?

Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:57 pm

Rob wrote:
Ringrock wrote:But last night I listened to the CD again this time with headphones. And then it doesn't sound that bad anymore.

I'm not sure what you think you're hearing (or not hearing) but I think these discs sound great as usual.

Ringrock wrote:Are CD's nowaday's made to sound best through headphones instead of speaker systems?

I have said many times (too many actually) that you always get the best effect when using headphones. I never listen to FTD's or imports if I can't take the time to sit down and put the headphones on.

If you continue to have trouble with the sound of this great release, click on the link below and it will more than likely help you out.

Good luck.

:lol: :lol:

I hope I don't need that site for a while but I'm starting to get scared now.

But why especially this FTD ? I'm able to enjoy all other CD's (those of which you might expect a good sound quallity) played through a speaker system (and I agree: often even better with headphones).

Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:37 pm

Just got this release and its great! The sound is awesome! Well done FTD!
I have not stopped playing it since I got it! Love hearing the whole June session in such great sound. It rocks! and looks so cool to! 8)

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:27 pm

Rob wrote:I'm not sure what you think you're hearing (or not hearing) but I think these discs sound great as usual ... If you continue to have trouble with the sound of this great release, click on the link below and it will more than likely help you out.

Good luck.

Rob, as usual, your reply says it all, says it succinctly, and not without a dash of humour.

Thank you for gently nullifying one person's agenda to besmirch this GREAT new FTD collection from the Jørgensen-Semon-Budd team.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:00 am

All old feuds aside, I can't imagine that the folks at FTD, particularly with Kevan Budd on board, would release this '50s classic as anything substandard. I hope I'm not wrong on that.

I haven't been disappointed as a rule. I'll be keeping the Madison release of these sessions (Totally Stung"), but I assume this is now the superior release: better tapes, official release, ...Kevan Budd. :lol:

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:08 am

I just got my copy of this today, and let me first say that the work Kevan did on the acetates here is MAGIC, this has always been his strong suit. This is also the best sound on the June 58 sessions available, and probably will remain so until they are released in a higher-end audio format.

However, the sound on the album masters is somewhat flat (though still good), although I wouldn't call it 'compressed'. This is more a matter of EQ than a matter of compression. Kevan always raises the higher frequencies (10-16khz) to get the cleanest sound on Elvis's voice possible, but in the process some of the low-mid to mid frequencies that give the sound more 'punch' are sacrificed. This really boils down to a matter of taste (nothing you can't adjust with an old fashioned EQ), but the mastering itself is perfectly competent, there are no problems with clipping or muddying of the sound with effects ala Lene Reidel.

On comparison, I do however prefer the sound of the Japanese 24-bit version of this because the out of the package EQ is closer to the LP sound. (I prefer the Japanese 1382 for the same reason, Kevan's 'Loving You' and 1254 are superior to the Japanese versions overall)

All in all, I think it is a good-sounding FTD release worthy of the album it represents (unlike 'Today'), and I am looking forward to the FTD 'King Creole' special edition Kevan, Ernst and Co should do in the future (wink, fingers crossed) especially with the magic Kevan works on acetates.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:52 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:I'm not sure what you think you're hearing (or not hearing) but I think these discs sound great as usual ... If you continue to have trouble with the sound of this great release, click on the link below and it will more than likely help you out.

Good luck.

Rob, as usual, your reply says it all, says it succinctly, and not without a dash of humour.

Thank you for gently nullifying one person's agenda to besmirch this GREAT new FTD collection from the Jørgensen-Semon-Budd team.

Some people apparently can't read. Try to concentrate and don't be blinded because there's a name like Kevan Bud involved. Stay independent. As you read more carefully you might be able to notice that I don't have any agenda other than to solve my own problem with the FTD and am just curious about other peoples experiences. I wonder if you have heard the CD yourself. No info or help whatsoever besides some smirking remarks and mentioning Kevin. A dogs life is not just good because the name of the singer is Elvis. I know what I hear and made it clear it's only my own experience and indeed I'm open to the possibility that something is wrong on my side overhere. Why would I have an agenda. I don't write a lot on this message board but I did because I read some other people also noticed something about the sound that seemed to confirm my own surprise. Well OK, I know you can't help the way you communicate. I think it's the accusation of having an agenda that made me reply. So maybe you have some usefull suggestions about what is going on ? How does this CD sound better than others on your SPEAKER system ?

Probably I (or my stereo system) am somehow more sensitive than others to the equalizer effects that King of the Jungle suggests has happened. It is indeed in that lower to mid-range, and lack of Punch describes my experience too. I wonder if the equalizer on my system will bring back some of the missing detaisl in the vocals like ending of words ( for example the T in some of the Don't )

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:02 am

Confusing and contradictory remarks from the knockers here :?
First, if you check the dynamics you will see this FTD has the widest dynamics released so far, so please give the compression nonsense a rest, secondly the tracks are not dull in the slightest and this can be proven when the eq is compared to previous releases.

Compressed releases will sound better in the car but worse on a good hi fi(especially headphones).

The Japanese paper sleeve is the same as the 50s box but with the dynamics clipped leading to distortion in a bid to win the loudness race. (something common to several of the Japanese paper sleeves that the pro Japanese fans tend to overlook!)It features the same unnatural digital echo, EQ banding, and rolled off HF and bares no relation to the original LP in anyway :roll:

What you like is what you like but some here talk utter nonsense.
Last edited by boppin bob on Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:40 am, edited 8 times in total.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:14 am

I wonder if the album masters on the FTD reissue are the same ones that were featured on the 2005 DSD reissue (as pictured below)?

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Kevan Budd did the remastering folks, don't let uninformed opinions throw you.

And don't throw the uninformed opinions.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bpd

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:39 am

Ringrock wrote:Are CD's nowaday's made to sound best through headphones instead of speaker systems ?
That would be a huge mistake! To mix and master nothing but good nearfield monitors should be used!The most expensive,best headphones in the world do NOT represent music as it sounds through regular speakers. The best masterings sound good in EVERYTHING and that includes headphones. That is a fact.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:49 am

boppin bob wrote:Confusing and contradictory remarks from the knockers here :?

It's a drag, isn't it?

boppin bob wrote:First, if you check the dynamics you will see this FTD has the widest dynamics released so far, so please give the compression nonsense a rest, secondly the tracks are not dull in the slightest and this can be proven when the eq is compared to previous releases ... What you like is what you like but some here talk utter nonsense.

Your astute comments are appreciated.

Are you in any way connected to the great "Boppin' Bob" Jones?

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:51 am

Juan Luis wrote:
Ringrock wrote:Are CD's nowaday's made to sound best through headphones instead of speaker systems ?
That would be a huge mistake! To mix and master nothing but good nearfield monitors should be used! the most expensive,best headphones in the world do NOT reperesent music as it sounds through regular speakers. the best masterings sound good in everything including headphones. This is fact.

Actually you will need three loudspeaker types, headphones for detail work (faultfinding, stereo testing and repairs), near field small monitors to represent most home speakers and large full range speakers, to test complete sound balance and dynamic range.
Last edited by boppin bob on Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:58 am

bpd wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Kevan Budd did the remastering folks, don't let uninformed opinions throw you.

And don't throw the uninformed opinions.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bpd

Glad you caught the reference -- you're the only one, maybe.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:13 am

Not quite.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:47 am

TCB TED wrote:Not quite.

I knew I could count on you, Ted.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:25 am

Oh, I got it, too, as many hopefully did. I always liked that original line, particularly from an apparently "out of it" Elvis.

"But Ringrock's opinion is hot, I'll tell you for sure." :lol:

Boppin' has quite the answer for Ringrock. I just know that some releases really should be bought instinctively, yes, instinctively, because we know it's going to be a classic. That said, it's fine to post honestly on impressions, but I would hope such criticism would be couched in an overall positive context.

Thenexte, I've wondered the same thing about the 2005 "Golden Records Vol. 2" version, although I had never read anything about Budd working on that set, not that it got much attention.