All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

50 million FTD

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:58 am

Apart from the "Doncha Think It's Time" takes and the slates for "Your Cheatin' Heart" take 9 and "I Got Stung" take 24, has anyone else spotted anything new on this release?

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:02 am

What are slates? Pieces of the song?

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:04 am

The count-in and the announcement of the take number which precedes it.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:38 am

50 million Elvis fans - new

3 unreleased takes of `dontcha think it’s time`, two with slates and Elvis comments, and one with part count in.

Slate plus Elvis comments for `cheatin heart` 9

Slate plus Elvis comment for `wear my ring`

First official release of the complete June 1958 sessions.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:04 am

Apart from the "Doncha Think It's Time" takes and the slates for "Your Cheatin' Heart" take 9 and "I Got Stung" take 24, has anyone else spotted anything new on this release?

No, did you expect anything more? I'm glad whit this release, as mentioned it's the complete june session in RCA sound quality. This offers more fun than the annual gospel release or greatest hits compilation.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:13 am

How much of this release is officially previously unreleased?

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:30 am

Officially unreleased takes

Dontcha think its time
39, 40, 47

I need your love tonight
1, 3, 6, 8, 10b, 11, 14, 15, 16, 17

Aint that lovin` you baby,
2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 10

A fool such as I
1, 2, 6, 7.

I got stung 2, 3, 9, 10, 11, 15, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:38 am

boppin bob wrote:Officially unreleased takes

Dontcha think its time
39, 40, 47

I need your love tonight
1, 3, 6, 8, 10b, 11, 14, 15, 16, 17

Aint that lovin` you baby,
2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 10

A fool such as I
1, 2, 6, 7.

I got stung 2, 3, 9, 10, 11, 15, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23

When considered in this light that make a very healthy helping of unreleased material.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:42 am

Spellbinder wrote:The count-in and the announcement of the take number which precedes it.
Thanks! I did not know those slates were unreleased. :)

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:17 am

this is obviously another one to collect and savour the QUALITY! from FTD! :lol:

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:16 am

Why do we have to invent new words! Slates should be confined to video or film.

There is nothing wrong with count-in.

I struggle to imagine Chips Moman saying "ok..do the slate"

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:00 am

Kiwialan wrote: Why do we have to invent new words!

I agree.... there is no falthsdor for this. It's completely crumbiuos. I think they should ozbituate anyone who does this. If anyone else feels the same way go ahead a RM me.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:41 am

they are called slates in music too not just movie or tv. not just invented words kiwi.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:38 am

Kevan Budd did the remastering folks, don't let uninformed opinions throw you.

And don't throw the uninformed opinions.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:54 am

woodleyjohn wrote:It's a great collection but on first listen it sounds to me like the tracks have been quite heavily compressed. Anyone else noticed this?

Sorry, what do you mean by "compressed" ?

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:54 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Kevan Budd did the remastering folks, don't let uninformed opinions throw you.

And don't throw the uninformed opinions.

And WHO did the artwork ?? Man ! again a recreation of the cover, why isn't the original, first edion cover used ? with the gray cornerbox and the original typesetting of the title !! I really hate it when they ass up a cover, esspecialy a classic like this one !!! And the booklet, what wrong with the photo's ?? All those hallo's around Elvis, again with a 'new' backround pisses me off too ... otherwise, it's a very, very fine release - Kevan did true wonders with 'Doncha' think it's time' excellent stuff ! ... [PS I will be turnig 40 this year, and I do have a reading problem with the small typesetting in the booklet ...

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:54 am

boppin bob wrote:No! Because there’s not a trace of compression in sight, not even the slightest hint. Do you actually have the CD?

Thanks, Bob.

Like I always say, folks -- trust the doc!

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:18 pm

I can't wait for this release - the outtakes on Totally Stung were amazing, but now to hear them from the original tapes will be great.

I am flying to San Francisco on Monday so i will have plenty of time to listen to the entire session uninterupted!

Andrew

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Kevan Budd did the remastering folks, don't let uninformed opinions throw you.

I just listened to this great release. The sound is superb. I would have loved sitting in on this and any other recording session. Listening to this CD the next best thing.

If the thought of passing on this one has entered anyone's mind -- you'd better think again.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:09 pm

Can't wait to get back home to listen to this beauty! The songs from those sessions have always been great favourites of mine, as have the LP album itself!

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:58 pm

Just started listening to this and it sounds great. Plenty of top and bottom end so no compression to my ears. Fantastic session and top notch material.

Not everyone has or buys bootlegs so to suggest that there isn't much new here is to me erroneous. No offence spellbinder.

Also, i've not compared the original artwork to me this looks great. Worth every penny of 15 quid IMO.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:51 pm

Jamie wrote:Just started listening to this and it sounds great. Plenty of top and bottom end so no compression to my ears. Fantastic session and top notch material.

Not everyone has or buys bootlegs so to suggest that there isn't much new here is to me erroneous. No offence spellbinder.

Also, i've not compared the original artwork to me this looks great. Worth every penny of 15 quid IMO.

I was not trying to make any point about the quantity of new material. As a sad completist I was merely asking others what they had spotted that hadn't been made available before in case I missed something. I think the release is terrific.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:00 pm

It's a great selection of songs but....
Yes indeed, it doesn't sound ok to me. Indeed maybe it sounds compressed but I'm not an expert on that. And I don't know whether it's good or bad or if it's my bad taste or not, but personally I was very disappointed too. There is a lot high and low but is does sound dul and empty. Often I can't clearly hear the last letters of words anymore especially in the middle to lower regions, from Elvis as well as from the backing vocals and also the base guitar. Overall it sounds dead in comparisson with what I already had. I noticed it the first tme I played the CD and thought I needed to go to a different CD player but it didn't help. It even destroyed the pleasure of listening to it again because once I became aware of it I can't help but notice the lack of many details that my ears are expecting and wanting to hear after having listened to the released songs thousands of times from other sources during the last 30 years............But also the unreleased ones don't sound good to me.
If this is what it should sound like I hope I will get used to it....
I have the feeling somthing in the whole process went really wrong.
Or I'm just starting to become deaf since last Friday and need a hearing aid....
Last edited by Ringrock on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:02 pm

Spellbinder, most of the outtakes have never been released before. If you have this release, just check out the booklet for info on what’s been out before. It’s all right there.

Per

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:06 pm

thekingisalive wrote:Spellbinder, most of the outtakes have never been released before. If you have this release, just check out the booklet for info on what’s been out before. It’s all right there.

Per

In fact, most of them have been released before. The booklet won't help you. The FTD booklets tend not to cover bootleg releases.