A new Southern Comfort CD will be here soon!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

A new Southern Comfort CD will be here soon!

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

I found some good news on ElvisNews this morning. Normally, I don't care too much about audience recordings, but I will definitely pick up a copy of this CD. A 20 page booklet and deluxe gate fold cover from Southern Comfort - well, that sounds pretty cool to me! Their designer is a genius and I expect to get some interesting liner notes as well. Coupled with two complete shows and some bonus tracks, this release looks like a winner to say the least. It will be cool to have this Las Vegas season covered in this way.

From ElvisNews:

A new import double CD set has been announced. The set, containing two - previously released - remastered concerts from August 1975, comes as a deluxe gate fold set with a 20 pages booklet.

Synopsis:

"After a highly successful tour in July, Elvis was booked for 2 weeks in Vegas, starting on the night of august 18. That opening night was followed by only two more nights and four performances. known among fans as the "Request Box Shows".

On the night of August 20 Elvis left the Vegas Hilton in a hurry, and was flown back to Memphis. Luckily a fan from Japan recorded several of these shows on portable Sony equipment, resulting in excellent sounding tapes. They were released, in part, on both Bilko and Live Archives releases. In May the Southern Comfort label will release two complete shows plus additional songs on a deluxe gate fold double CD set remastered from the original 32 year old tapes. A 20 pages photo booklet will be included with the two CDs.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

etp
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by etp »

These recordings from August 1975 are brilliant!
I prefer stuff like that anytime to a poor sounding soundboard with hardly audible applause ....

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.

etp wrote:These recordings from August 1975 are brilliant!
Cool! I haven't heard these shows on CD but I do have an old vinyl bootleg called "The Request Box Shows" (TCB Records) and that one sounds good. So I don't think I will be disappointed with the sound.

Keith Richards, Jr.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

yes properly put out this can be a great package!- pity FTD didn't get here first! :cry:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.

YDKM wrote:yes properly put out this can be a great package!- pity FTD didn't get here first! :cry:
In my opinion, it's not a pity at all. The books and classic album releases from FTD are simply fantastic and so are some of the regular releases. I love them! But I definitely prefer Madison, Fort Baxter, Straight Arrow, etc, to FTD when it comes to concerts. The booklets really do add a lot to the overall experience.

Keith Richards, Jr.

BigredG
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

etp wrote:These recordings from August 1975 are brilliant!
I prefer stuff like that anytime to a poor sounding soundboard with hardly audible applause ....
Not sure if you are being genuine or not, but I think these shows are very interesting too. I think we have it all covered on Cd already, but I am confident that Southern Comfort will have better sound sources, and the packaging sounds interesting.

I like it when a label comes along with a flair for experimentation package wise RIB :wink:

Post by Guest »

Here is what we got so far:

August 18, opening show Las Vegas In Gypsy Style
August 19, dinner show:
See See Rider Loving You
I Got A Woman / Amen Loving You
Blue Suede Shoes Loving You
If You Love Me Let Me Know Loving You
It's Now Or Never Loving You
My Boy Loving You
Love Me Loving You
Loving You By Special Request, Loving You
Suspicious Minds Loving You
Johnny B. Goode Loving You
Hail Hail Rock 'n Roll/reprise Loving You
T-R-O-U-B-L-E Loving You
Why Me , Lord ? Loving You
How Great Thou Art Loving You
Let Me Be There Loving You
Crying In The Chapel By Special Request, Loving You
Can't Help Falling In Love Loving You

August 19, midnight show:
See See Rider The Request Box Shows, Fast Moving
Blue Suede Shoes The Request Box Shows, Fast Moving
Young And Beautiful The Request Box Shows, Fast Moving
Are You Lonesome Tonight? The Request Box Shows, Fast Moving
If You Love Let Me Know The Request Box Shows, Fast Moving
Softly As I Leave You The Request Box Shows, Fast Moving
It's Now Or Never The Request Box Shows, Fast Moving
Polk Salad Annie The Request Box Shows, Fast Moving
Johnny B. Goode Fast Moving
Hail Hail Rock & Roll Fast Moving
T-R-O-U-B-L-E Fast Moving
Why Me , Lord ? Fast Moving
Love Me Tender Fast Moving
All Shook Up Fast Moving
Love Me Fast Moving
Hound Dog/reprise Fast Moving
My Boy The Request Box Shows, Fast Moving
Can't Help Falling In Love Fast Moving

August 20, dinner show:
See See Rider By Special Request, Green Green Grass Of Home
I Got A Woman / Amen By Special Request, Green Green Grass Of Home
Hound Dog By Special Request, Green Green Grass Of Home
It's Now Or Never By Special Request, Green Green Grass Of Home
And I Love You So The Request Box Shows, By Special Request, Green Green Grass Of Home
Blue Suede Shoes By Special Request, Green Green Grass Of Home
Green Green Grass Of Home The Request Box Shows, By Special Request, Green Green Grass Of Home
Fairytale The Request Box Shows, By Special Request, Green Green Grass Of Home
Softly As I Leave You By Special Request, Green Green Grass Of Home
Johnny B. Goode By Special Request, Green Green Grass Of Home
Hail Hail Rock 'n Roll By Special Request, Green Green Grass Of Home
T-R-O-U-B-L-E The Request Box Shows, By Special Request, Green Green Grass Of Home
Why Me , Lord ? The Request Box Shows, By Special Request, Green Green Grass Of Home
Until It's Time For You To Go The Request Box Shows, By Special Request, Green Green Grass Of Home
Burning Love The Request Box Shows, By Special Request, Green Green Grass Of Home
Can't Help Falling In Love The Request Box Shows, By Special Request, Green Green Grass Of Home

August 20, midnight show Top Acts In Vegas Vol. 2

(Lifted from http://www.elvisoncd.com.)

Plus an arbitrary amount of samplers/bonus takes containing Loving You, Crying In The Chapel, ...

If they publish the complete tapes now that have been partially published by Live Archives and Bilko, my guess is that we get in addition now the August 19 MS tracks that have been exclusively on Fast Movin' so far.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

What a Vegas Season this could/should have been!!

Makes me weep that he went home after 3 days :cry: :cry: :cry:

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

Gypsy Style is a better source for Opening Night btw.

Post by Guest »

BIGREDG wrote:Gypsy Style is a better source for Opening Night btw.
Much better! Thanks, I've corrected it.

Post by Guest »

BIGREDG wrote:What a Vegas Season this could/should have been!!

Makes me weep that he went home after 3 days :cry: :cry: :cry:
He had health problems in October 73, September 74, August 75, in August 76, and finally in August 77. Apparently, hot and humid summers gave him a lot of troubles. That he used, according to EWH, the air conditioning more like a refridgerator would fit into this picture.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Just a tiny little point..do we now get all the live stuff, we already have.. again....just in a better layout... ??

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

I am sure that Southern Comfort would not just release the same source material.

I do not think they are "smash & grab" merchants, and I am sure I remember Ger mentioning that there were some better generation tapes in the right hands!! :)

Post by Guest »

BIGREDG wrote:Ger [deleted Guideline 13]
There is no such thing like a Guideline 13. The Guidelines are numbered 1-11. Where is Franz Kafka when you need him?

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

THERE IS A GUIDELINE 13, IT'S JUST A SECRET!!!!

IT CLEARLY STAES THAT YOU CANNOT TYPE [deleted Guideline 13] IN ANY POST WHATSOEVER!!

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

BIGREDG wrote:THERE IS A GUIDELINE 13, IT'S JUST A SECRET!!!!

IT CLEARLY STAES THAT YOU CANNOT TYPE [deleted Guideline 13] IN ANY POST WHATSOEVER!!
See, told ya :lol:

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.

Ciscoking wrote:Just a tiny little point..do we now get all the live stuff, we already have.. again....just in a better layout... ??
The high quality reissues gives me a better understanding of Elvis and his concert years. In fact, I'll probably buy the new Madison release "A New Kind Of Rhythm!" just to get that damn booklet (I am happy with the sound on my "Holding Back The Years" CD). I don't expect to ever see a book about Elvis's concert years again so these booklets are the next best thing! :wink:

We also have to keep in mind that the bootleggers don't have too many new concerts left to release. Sure, I guess they could release poor, pointless audience recordings forever - but the best stuff have already been released. When was the last time we got a new soundboard CD? I can't even remember.

Keith Richards, Jr.

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:We also have to keep in mind that the bootleggers don't have too many new concerts left to release. Sure, I guess they could release poor, pointless audience recordings forever - but the best stuff have already been released. When was the last time we got a new soundboard CD? I can't even remember.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Across Country Volume 2 I got today - does that count ??? Awesome BTW.

There are still some cool concert recordings to come, but I am looking forward to a "definitive" August 75 set for now :)

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.

BIGREDG wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:We also have to keep in mind that the bootleggers don't have too many new concerts left to release. Sure, I guess they could release poor, pointless audience recordings forever - but the best stuff have already been released. When was the last time we got a new soundboard CD? I can't even remember.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Across Country Volume 2 I got today - does that count ???
Doh!! Yeah, it counts. I forgot that one. But we do have two of the most interesting songs on the excellent "Southern Nights" FTD...

Keith Richards, Jr.

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Doh!! Yeah, it counts. I forgot that one. But we do have two of the most interesting songs on the excellent "Southern Nights" FTD...

Keith Richards, Jr.
This is true so it only half counts really!! :wink:

Post by Guest »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote: When was the last time we got a new soundboard CD? I can't even remember.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Yes, Across The Country Vol 2 is the latest. Still waiting for mine!

Other 'new ones' since 2004 :

Holding Down The Fort 1976 by Madison. Released in '06.
Keep The Fire Burning 1975 by Audionics. Released in '05.
Across The Country Vol 1 1976 by Audionics. Released in '05.
El Goes El Paso 1976 by Audionics. Released in '04.
Movin' Mobile 1975 by Madison. Released in '04.
Fly T-R-O-U-B-L-E 1975 by Madison. Released in '04.

It does appear that import lables are running thin on new SBs. And some of the ones we do have(CDs listed above are not complete) and all are from the mid 70s. But not complaining though :D We do have FTD to give us 'new' SBs. Where would we be without them!!! :( :smt102

Rob. :smt025

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Rob V wrote: It does appear that import lables are running thin on new SBs.
Just a matter of time.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.

Rob V wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote: When was the last time we got a new soundboard CD? I can't even remember.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Yes, Across The Country Vol 2 is the latest. Still waiting for mine!

Other 'new ones' since 2004 :

Holding Down The Fort 1976 by Madison. Released in '06.
Keep The Fire Burning 1975 by Audionics. Released in '05.
Across The Country Vol 1 1976 by Audionics. Released in '05.
El Goes El Paso 1976 by Audionics. Released in '04.
Movin' Mobile 1975 by Madison. Released in '04.
Fly T-R-O-U-B-L-E 1975 by Madison. Released in '04.

It does appear that import lables are running thin on new SBs. And some of the ones we do have(CDs listed above are not complete) and all are from the mid 70s. But not complaining though :D We do have FTD to give us 'new' SBs. Where would we be without them!!! :( :smt102
Good question! Some of the soundboards you mention were not all that new, either. Madison had already released the best parts from "Holding Down The Fort", and a handful of tracks on "Keep The Fire Burning" were already out on the "Dixieland Rocks" FTD. I guess "El Goes El Paso" was the last complete, 100% unreleased show. And that was like three years ago.

Bring on the reissues. I prefer that to getting no new CDs at all.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Juan Luis

Re: A new Southern Comfort CD will be here soon!

Post by Juan Luis »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I found some good news on ElvisNews this morning. Normally, I don't care too much about audience recordings, but I will definitely pick up a copy of this CD. A 20 page booklet and deluxe gate fold cover from Southern Comfort - well, that sounds pretty cool to me! Their designer is a genius and I expect to get some interesting liner notes as well. Coupled with two complete shows and some bonus tracks, this release looks like a winner to say the least. It will be cool to have this Las Vegas season covered in this way.

From ElvisNews:

A new import double CD set has been announced. The set, containing two - previously released - remastered concerts from August 1975, comes as a deluxe gate fold set with a 20 pages booklet.

Synopsis:

"After a highly successful tour in July, Elvis was booked for 2 weeks in Vegas, starting on the night of august 18. That opening night was followed by only two more nights and four performances. known among fans as the "Request Box Shows".

On the night of August 20 Elvis left the Vegas Hilton in a hurry, and was flown back to Memphis. Luckily a fan from Japan recorded several of these shows on portable Sony equipment, resulting in excellent sounding tapes. They were released, in part, on both Bilko and Live Archives releases. In May the Southern Comfort label will release two complete shows plus additional songs on a deluxe gate fold double CD set remastered from the original 32 year old tapes. A 20 pages photo booklet will be included with the two CDs.

Keith Richards, Jr.
One of the complete shows from August 75
was recorded by a Japanese fan, in stereo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! request box shows!KOOL~!

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

BIGREDG wrote:THERE IS A GUIDELINE 13, IT'S JUST A SECRET!!!!

:? :shock: :? :( :roll: :twisted: :P :shock: :) :o :D :cry: :lol: :arrow: :wink: