All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:26 pm

great song hated the movie its got to have had some of the worst lines in movie history.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:01 pm

Charro has always been one of my favourites....it's simply a great tune, and is really perfect as the opening song of the movie!

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:34 pm

likethebike wrote:Don't love it, don't hate it. It sounds like what it is a movie theme, not a particular challenge to Elvis' vocal or interpetive skills.

OK, who are you, and what have you done with likethebike? :shock:

I think the evocation of mood is very powerful. This is a song that needs greater coverage. While it definitely sounds very attached to the movie itself, that's no slight against the song; it's a strength. A very underrated theme song!

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

The public gave their verdict to Charro!

While Elvis was making waves with In The Ghetto, Suspicious Minds, Kentucky Rain and Don't Cry Daddy along comes the turkey retard Charro.

Enough said.

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:27 am

KiwiAlan wrote:The public gave their verdict to Charro!

While Elvis was making waves with In The Ghetto, Suspicious Minds, Kentucky Rain and Don't Cry Daddy along comes the turkey retard Charro.

Enough said.

Charro don't go, Charro don't go.......! :lol:

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:42 am

CHARRO ! what a great , special & very unique song, in my TOP 60 songs
there is kind of mystery in the music , elvis' voice sounds great
just like EDGE OF REALITY , CHANGE OF HABIT , ALMOST, GOIN' HOME...
LOVE IT ! LOVE IT ! LOVE IT ! :wink:

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:20 am

"the turkey retard"? How dare you, KiwiAlan? :shock: :lol: It's a great song!

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:23 am

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist. I dedicate this to Kiwi Alan!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-J1krzyqSA
Last edited by Joe Car on Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:37 am

Great slide show Joe Car, I`m glad you couldn`t resist :D

Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:46 am

Scroll further down on that YouTube site and check out Jailhouse Rock (68 Special).

Compare that to Charro.

Now you know what a turkey retard is :D :D :D

Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:18 am

I think that numbers like Charro and Edge of Reality helped to lay the groundwork so to speak for the big, dramatic, orchestrated ballads of the 70's such as You Gave Me a Mountain. Charro is one of Elvis' best movie songs.

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:55 am

It just doesn't seem right to compare this melody, very derivative of the other western themes of the era, to "Suspicious Minds", "True Love Travels on a Gravel Road". The lyrics to me don't make any kind of statement outside of the movie like say "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance". Elvis' singing is fine but I can't find any inspired moments in his phrasing like in his best stuff.

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:07 pm

It certainly not the worst song Elvis ever sang! I think Old MacDonald gets that crown :D

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:11 pm

a very good song with good vocals from Elvis.

- :P

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:16 am

Very dramatic track. I like it. Not a classic by any means but not a turkey retard either.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:21 am

likethebike wrote:It just doesn't seem right to compare this melody, very derivative of the other western themes of the era, to "Suspicious Minds", "True Love Travels on a Gravel Road". The lyrics to me don't make any kind of statement outside of the movie like say "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance". Elvis' singing is fine but I can't find any inspired moments in his phrasing like in his best stuff.

Oh, I don't know.

I love it when he sings, "Your past is catching up and CLO-sing in"...

He has a very stark, ominous edge to his voice throughout, and little affectations, like the one above, really bring the desperate feel of the song out.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:30 am

My favorite line is "There's something hanging in the wind." Reminds me of my streakin' days in my miss-spent youth.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:58 am

Love the song. It's very much of it's time and has a Frankie Laine feel to it.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:15 am

Personally I think because this song comes out of a poor movie, it gets taken for granted that the song is poor itself. I love his voice and the haunting background music, well done imo.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:46 am

Cryogenic wrote:OK, who are you, and what have you done with likethebike? :shock:

:lol: :lol:

I think it's a silly exercise to mention his '69 Memphis tracks in comparison. Artistically, they shouldn't be in the same sentence, perhaps, but I think they coexist nicely, for many of us grew up with and maintain a fondness for the original campy movie tracks as gathered so well on RCA Camden releases. "Charro," of course, found it's rightful home on "Almost in Love."

There's something about the flavor of the track that nicely matches tunes like "Edge of Reality" and others. Once again, I so much enjoy the wide variety of the man's music. Listen to the song too much, however, and the dated, orchestral, "movie" sound does not withstand much scrutiny. Never play this for novices, folks. (But as a "guilty pleasure," 'natch, I love it !) :lol:

Almost in love
Long legged girl (with the short dress on)
Edge of reality
My little friend
A little less conversation
Rubberneckin´
Clean up your own backyard
U.S Male
Charro!
Stay away

I enjoyed the "Charro" 'video," but I believe Star has put out an even better one, with actual clips smartly put the music...

Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:52 pm

When it came out on the Almost In Love LP in 1970, I knew it was, after all, a soundtrack song- but it was a very good sountrack song. It was really a guilty pleasure. It wasn't a song I would have showcased to my friends to introduce them to Elvis. It was a different in a good way. Still love it today!

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:56 pm

A great song. Elvis voice is very powerful and it has the musical sound of end 60's, i mean wall of sound with lot's of of strings and Mexical influences. In the movie the song goes over in the movie score which can be heard in the fade out of the song. I don't think after, Girl Happy, Easy come, Easy go, Tickle Me, etc that Charro is a bad movie. If there hasn't been a voilence code in movies in that time it could have better.

I hope i get this one later this year in a proper dvd version, including the neckburn scene and including the nude scene, complete as it was filmed.

Besides Elvis i love the Billy Roy caracter.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:08 pm

Great song I think - shame that the movie wasn't as good.

I think what really pushed this film to unbelievable limits is the opening scenes where Charlie Hodge is trying to look threatening :lol:

Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:41 pm

I don't regard Charro and Edge of Reality as guilty pleasures. They may be movie tunes, but they stand up quite well. There is no cringe factor to these songs. You can't say that about the clam, papaya, yoga, shrimp, shack, and chamber of commerce tunes.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:28 pm

Good song good singer performance lost in very heavy arrangement.
I alway think that song lost between in time zone off 60's and /70's (sound wise)