All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

I Really Don't Want To Know, Live 1972

Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:31 am

During the latter part of his June 1972 tour, Elvis performed I REALLY DON'T WANT TO KNOW live. This was - to my knowledge - only done once. Never before or after this occasion (except the few rather short 1977 intro versions) did he perform this song live as far as I know. Leave all these concerts aside, where we do not know of the set lists yet.

My question, was the June 1972 live rendition the complete song? I just wonder, and by way, wouldn't it be great to have a full live version of this song in good quality available?

Re: I Really Don't Want To Know, Live 1972

Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:52 am

Burger King wrote:During the latter part of his June 1972 tour, Elvis performed I REALLY DON'T WANT TO KNOW live.

Can´t find it..sorry..when was this..??

Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:57 am

I've never heard this show. However, it is rumored that he performed the song on the last night of the tour on June 20th in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Last edited by Rob on Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I really dont want

Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:58 am

That's the tracklist I have found on elvisconcerts.com.
Also the song is mentioned in Elvis The Concert Years as performed during his June 1972 tour.

June 20, 1972 (8:30 pm) Tulsa, OK. Civic Assembly Center .
TRACKLIST

2001 Theme / That's All Right / I Got A Woman - Amen / Love Me Tender / You Don't Have To Say You Love Me/ You?ve Lost That Lovin? Feelin? / Polk Salad Annie / Love Me / All Shook Up / Heartbreak Hotel / Teddy Bear - Don't Be Cruel / One Night / Blue Suede Shoes / How Great Thou Art / Little Sister ? Get Back / I Really Don't Want To Know/Hound Dog / Suspicious Minds / Introductions / For The Good Times / American Trilogy / A Big Hunk O'Love / Funny How Times Slip Away / Can't Help Falling In Love / Closing Vamp

Is this show available anyway?

Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:51 pm

All shows where we don´t have the audio proof is pure speculation...

...and so is this one..no audio is availile at the moment..

On the site you mention there once was a setlist with For The Heart..after many complaints it was removed..the site isn`t bad thou...lol..

As for The Concert Years..nobody`s perfect..many mistakes have been found there, too....Elvis gave 14 shows during this tour..12 have been recorded and can be heard and the moment....no I Really Don`t Want To Know....how can one say it was performed (regularly)..

Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:57 pm

I Really Don´t Believe This.. :lol: Though, I really wanted to..

WAY DOWN LIVE

Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:25 pm

I remember reading once (it may have been in "Elvis monthly"), that Elvis performed "Way down" at one of his final shows. Also Roy Orbison's "It's over" was allegedly performed during the '70's according to more than one reviewer. Yeah, right! And what became of the february 1970 performance of "Bad moon rising"?!

Really

Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:29 pm

About Bad Moon Rising.
This one should have been performed in 1969, although a short version only. Could as well be a oneliner.
I read that many years ago in different publications.

About I Really Don't Want To Know.
Just check the setlist of the June 1972 tour. It is quite impressing.
There are also some rare goodies such as SOMETHING in Chicago. It might well be, that he performed I REALLY... out of the blue.
He did "only once" performances quite regularly.
You Can Have Her, Where No One Stands Alone, Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues, a short but cool Detroit City, Pieces Of My Life, Danny Boy, to name just a few.

About Danny Boy. Not even the most knowleadgable Elvis collector did know of this live rendition until it was released on FTD. I Really... could as well be part of the June 20, 1972 show. Maybe a recording of the song will turn up.

Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:55 pm

That setlist looks suspect. The line-up of the first 6 songs is more like 1971.

Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:37 pm

Pete Dube wrote:That setlist looks suspect. The line-up of the first 6 songs is more like 1971.

Yes but no :lol: . I mean, it's pretty different when compared to the January Vegas engagement or April 72' setlist, but remember that during this particular tour, starting with the MSG shows, Elvis brought back some standard songs from 1971, e.g. That's all right, You don't have to say you love me, You've lost that lovin' feelin'

Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:42 pm

According to The Concert Years, "Danny Boy" was done as a one-liner. Guess it was a little longer than that. :wink:

I suspect "For the Heart" is a one-liner, though. As for "I Really Don’t Want to Know", we’ll just have to wait until a tape surfaces.

Per

Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:07 pm

Burgerking wrote: About Danny Boy. Not even the most knowleadgable Elvis collector did know of this live rendition until it was released on FTD.

This had been rumored for years and not as a one liner. I still have an article written in Goldmine 15 years ago that listed it as an unreleased performance.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:33 am

The first known version of "I Really Don't Want To Know" is from Jacksonville on May 30, 1977.

BTW, your avatar makes me hungry, "Burger King."

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The first known version of "I Really Don't Want To Know" is from Jacksonville on May 30, 1977.

I think so, too....

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:09 pm

the tracklist for 20 june 1972 is in general the same as the other concerts from this tour.
I have no idea where this tracklist originates from (newspapers??/ library??)
as there is no audio available I doubt if "I really don't want to know" is a complete song. perhaps a one-liner?

I can mention a lot of one liners but these are no complete songs and fill the rumours about recordings in publications:
- Goldfinger : 07-09-70 closing;
- Young and beautiful : 12-11-71;
- By the time I get to Phoenix : 09-09-70 and more;
- I'lll take you home again Kathleen : 23-02-73 D;
- It's over (Roy Orbison song) : 04-12-76 D;

colonel snow

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:09 pm

the tracklist for 20 june 1972 is in general the same as the other concerts from this tour.
I have no idea where this tracklist originates from (newspapers??/ library??)
as there is no audio available I doubt if "I really don't want to know" is a complete song. perhaps a one-liner?

I can mention a lot of one liners but these are no complete songs and fill the rumours about recordings in publications:
- Goldfinger : 07-09-70 closing;
- Young and beautiful : 12-11-71;
- By the time I get to Phoenix : 09-09-70 and more;
- I'lll take you home again Kathleen : 23-02-73 D;
- It's over (Roy Orbison song) : 04-12-76 D;

colonel snow

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:39 pm

The first known version of "I Really Don't Want To Know" is from Jacksonville on May 30, 1977.

Sorry Doc, but the first known version is in fact 7th June 1970, as released on Elvis country! :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:32 pm

The last shows from this June 1972 have a very exiting tracklist. Elvis are in great shape too and have lost weight and looked so great compared to the april tour. These last shows in June along with the Hampton 72 shows are for me the only shows after 1971 which can compare to my all time favorite November 1971 tour. The earlier shows in the June tour are not that exiting. Elvis sings good, but Elvis seems to be loosend up after the MSG-shows and want to "have a ball". A lot of footage from this tour are great to have and proved a good rocking Elvis.

So come on with the soundboards, Joe Tunzi , especially from the Tulsa-show with I REALLY DON'T WANT TO KNOW,8)

Have a great day :)

Kenneth

Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:48 pm

Spanish_Eyes wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:That setlist looks suspect. The line-up of the first 6 songs is more like 1971.

Yes but no :lol: . I mean, it's pretty different when compared to the January Vegas engagement or April 72' setlist, but remember that during this particular tour, starting with the MSG shows, Elvis brought back some standard songs from 1971, e.g. That's all right, You don't have to say you love me, You've lost that lovin' feelin'

True, but where are Proud Mary; Never Been To Spain; Until It's Time For You To Go? These were almost always performed on this tour. Is it likely that he would drop all three on one night? And as far as I know Elvis never did Love Me Tender as the third song in '72.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:50 pm

Spanish_Eyes wrote:

True, but where are Proud Mary; Never Been To Spain; Until It's Time For You To Go? These were almost always performed on this tour. Is it likely that he would drop all three on one night? And as far as I know Elvis never did Love Me Tender as the third song in '72.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Joe Tunzi refers to a show, in the latest interview posted on this site, which is on the 17th June where Elvis apparently dropped the setlist, and performed a great, loose set. Therefore, it's not without precedent on this tour, and maybe Elvis did the same again on the 20th?

Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Pete Dube wrote:
Spanish_Eyes wrote:

the tracklist changed 17 june 1972 and following days where Love me tender is the third song;

colonel snow

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:51 pm

The original newspaper review of the 72 show, written the next day, states that "Elvis sang "Really Don't Want To Know" from his COUNTRY album of last year, giving an inclination of his real roots". So who knows.

Remember what a surprise it was to see and hear the live cut of Twenty Days And Twenty Nights when LOST PERFORMANCES video was issued!!!

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:51 pm

The original newspaper review of the 72 show, written the next day, states that "Elvis sang "Really Don't Want To Know" from his COUNTRY album of last year, giving an inclination of his real roots". So who knows.

Remember what a surprise it was to see and hear the live cut of Twenty Days And Twenty Nights when LOST PERFORMANCES video was issued!!!

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:38 am

DarrylMac wrote:Sorry Doc, but the first known version is in fact 7th June 1970, as released on Elvis country!

Was Elvis Country a live record?

I Really Don't Want To Know, Live 1972.

Sorry, couldn't resist.