Post here all reviews related to Offical RCA/BMG/FTD releases

Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:05 pm

thekingisalive wrote:Manhattoe, your review is flawed in many ways, as the Doc has pointed out. I have to agree with the Doc on this, because he is right.
Per


Maybe the Doc is right but was his intention to educate or humiliate.

Someone who shares a common interest with me that is a big part of my life, such as Elvis, is a gift to me. When I treat a gift with disrespect it says more about me than any words can.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:02 pm

Lester B., your first post was not lost on me. But why do you assume I was trying to humiliate the poor chap? If that had been my intention, I would have told him exactly what was wrong with that review in no uncertain terms, instead of just supporting the Doc’s criticism. I don’t want to add fuel to the fire, but the Doc is spot on, something our German friend doesn’t seem to grasp. I have also taken into consideration that English is not the reviewer’s first language, so I won’t point out the grammatical errors in his review, although there are quite a few of those.

Manhattoe raises a few valid points, but he lost all credibility as a reviewer with me when he wrote that stuff about "Are You Horny Tonight?" To claim in retrospect that this was meant as irony … well, that could very well be the case, but if so, it is misplaced, as there is nothing ironic about that passage. He can always excuse himself with the fact that English is not his mother tongue, that something was lost in the translation, but that kind of argument won’t cut it with me.

Manhattoe, Ernst’s book is old. Many new discoveries have been made since then. Just compare the recording information in, say, Elvis Is Back! or Elvis Today with what is written in Ernst’s recording sessions book to see what I mean.

Per

Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:23 pm

LesterB wrote: Maybe the Doc is right but was his intention to educate or humiliate.


Hi thekingisalive

I think that you have read my comment incorrectlly. I do not think that you are trying to humiliate anybody :)

As I said - I think the Doc is right in his facts but not his manner

Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:43 pm

Then you should have quoted him, not me, placing your comment where it belongs. He’s got a sharp tongue, and sometimes he is too harsh, but I don’t think that’s the case this time. In fact, the Doc was being lenient with Manhattoe. He could have ripped him a new a-hole. Yet he did not. I think that was pretty compassionate. Don’t you?

Per

Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:00 pm

Per - I quoted you to say that I agreed with you in your comments about the Doc being correct in his facts.

It then led on to me saying: was his intention to educate or humiliate?

I have no wish to embarass or be sarcastic in any way to you :?

Anyway - it was obviously a misunderstanding.

Regarding the Doc being less harsh than usual does not get him a medal in my book.

When a mugger takes an old ladies handbag and doesn't hit her - I don't say he was compassionate because he could have hit her as well as taking the bag.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:13 pm

thekingisalive wrote:If that had been my intention, I would have told him exactly what was wrong with that review in no uncertain terms, instead of just supporting the Doc’s criticism.

Would that you had. But you could have told me (and you still can) in quite normal terms without that you-are not-privileged-to-write-a-review behavior. This is a messageboard, ain't it? I thought it would be fun to start a discussion here, but it is running into the wrong direction.

thekingisalive wrote:Manhattoe raises a few valid points, but he lost all credibility as a reviewer with me when he wrote that stuff about "Are You Horny Tonight?" To claim in retrospect that this was meant as irony … well, that could very well be the case, but if so, it is misplaced, as there is nothing ironic about that passage. He can always excuse himself with the fact that English is not his mother tongue, that something was lost in the translation, but that kind of argument won’t cut it with me.

Sorry, thekingisalive, but there is no sense in what you write here. And there is no need to excuse myself for anything. As it seems, you still havn't grasped the irony, which has doubled in the meantime.

thekingisalive wrote:Manhattoe, Ernst’s book is old. Many new discoveries have been made since then. Just compare the recording information in, say, Elvis Is Back! or Elvis Today with what is written in Ernst’s recording sessions book to see what I mean.

One reason more to give us with a few liner notes here. Thank you for supporting my review here.

thekingisalive wrote:Lester B., your first post was not lost on me. But why do you assume I was trying to humiliate the poor chap?

Why do you refer to me as "poor chap", Per? Because I do not share your opinion, because I interpret some things differently than you do or because you think my knowledge of Elvis is so poor that it has an ill effect on my whole life?

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:13 pm

Sure, Lester, I realize this was a misunderstanding. No hard feelings on my part. :lol:

Manhattoe, I don’t mind your review at all. However, I do not agree with a large portion of it. I may come back to that later. Right now, I don’t have the time to go into detail. There is a family dinner soon, then there’s a hectic work week. I’ll get back to your review if I can find the time.

There is no irony about that song reference at all. Making ironic remarks in a foreign tongue is harder than you think.

Liner notes are for the most part unnecessary, but we could certainly do with a short explanation once in awhile. For instance, I have no idea whether the master of "I Can Help" is take 1 or 2 after the Elvis Today album was reissued on FTD.

"poor chap" is a literary reference. I take it you haven’t read Fitzgerald or Hemingway? There was no malice or ill-intent behind my comment. Quite the contrary.

Per

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:26 pm

thekingisalive wrote:Manhattoe, I don’t mind your review at all. However, I do not agree with a large portion of it. I may come back to that later. Right now, I don’t have the time to go into detail. There is a family dinner soon, then there’s a hectic work week. I’ll get back to your review if I can find the time.

That sounds much better than your previous postings, Per.

thekingisalive wrote:There is no irony about that song reference at all. Making ironic remarks in a foreign tongue is harder than you think.

It was irony in the purest and truest, that is Greek, sense of the word.

Liner notes are for the most part unnecessary, but we could certainly do with a short explanation once in awhile. For instance, I have no idea whether the master of "I Can Help" is take 1 or 2 after the Elvis Today album was reissued on FTD.

You say it. For Ernst, the new FTD was a good opportunity to clarify some ambiguities concerning the TV special. Where will he do that now?

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:50 pm

thekingisalive wrote:Sure, Lester, I realize this was a misunderstanding. No hard feelings on my part. :lol: Per


Thats good news - its horrible to fall out with a fellow Elvis fan :D

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:36 pm

let yourself go (track 3) is a compilation from:

section 2 take 5/6 - section 2 take 1 - section 3 take 6;

section 2 take 1 was released on LP A legendary performer vol. III as the first part of the song;
listen to the lyrics and you'll notice that verse 1-2-3 was done twice on the CD.

colonel snow

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:21 am

hell with teh dispute!
I'm getting this CD next week and that's FANTASTIC!!!!! :D :D :D

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:52 am

Guys can anyone help me with the front and back cover of Let Yourself Go?

The CD's just marvellous

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:54 am

Narek wrote:Guys can anyone help me with the front and back cover of Let Yourself Go?

The CD's just marvellous

Odd -- my copy of Let Yourself Go (FTD) came with the original front and back cover.

Any FTD dealer who doesn't include that with your disc should give you your money back.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:47 pm

Narek wrote:Guys can anyone help me with the front and back cover of Let Yourself Go?

http://www.shopelvis.com/nshop/product.php?view=listing&dept=music%2C+movies+and+books&groupName=MULTIftd&navLabel=FTD%20collectors

You're welcome.