All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:40 pm

PEP Wrote:-

I laid it out for the person and the way they
end up coming back with what they know
and remember.


Look forward to hearing-hope they actually seen the footage that would be cool.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:13 pm

News?

Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:01 am

Ok, here's what I was waiting for,
It isn't much, but it's something
I guess....... :D

I was able to track down
Debbie Lynn Gobins.

She was the female fan who wrote the article for the
"Strictly Elvis" fan magazine which appeared in the
No.33 January 1971 issue.
Image
Debbie at the time was 12 years old soon to turn
13 years of age, she is now 49 years of age and
still living in Phoenix, she is a Marathon Runner
so she's in pretty good shape mentally and physically
for her age.

I mentioned this because it's not like she is over the
hill or anything like that..... :lol:

She has moved on in the sense, it appears she doesn't
keep track of what's been happening in the Elvis World
so much anymore......if not at all....

She saw Elvis the one time in Phoenix and a few years
later in Las Vegas......

I had hoped for maybe a little more information, but
it is what it is, nevertheless Debbie' response leaves
a little bit of hope that more was filmed that night
then what we are made to believe....

Now keep in mind, a memory can play tricks on
a person, as we have found out in the thread about
Elvis' afternoon 74' show in College Park...... :wink:

But the difference here, is there is No motive I can think
of for Debbie to go out of her way to say something that
she believes wasn't true...still at this point there is nothing
which has come forward to have us believe there is more.

Hope is all we have for now.... :wink:

Anyway here's how things went.....
Image
Hi Debbie, it took me a while to track you down, but it
appears I finally did, thanks for taking the time to talk
to me.....for the Elvis Fans on the FECC board.....
which is an exclusive for them.....

First I should explain why I contacted you....

Back in 1970 not only did you see Elvis in Concert
in his prime on September 9th 1970 in Phoenix Arizona
where you still live to this day , but you also wrote about
your experience in a Article which you ended up submitting
to the "Strictly Elvis" fan club run by Rocky Barra back then...

I should also point out you were only just 12 years old at the
time, soon to turn 13...

Right?

Yes, that's right....

It must be hard to believe looking back, that
was 36 years ago? But what a great
thing to remember for you I hope.....


Yes, I have a fond memory of
the experience....


Well, Debbie I'm not one to beat around the bush
so I will just cut to the chase with you.....

In your article called "Lucky 13" you mention
you saw camera's at the show, but you weren't
pacific as to how many cameras were there....

Was there more than one camera there that night
which you saw being set up and being used to
film the Elvis Concert?


I think that there were three cameras.

Where were the cameras located?

One in the aisle to the left of me,
one in the aisle to the right of
me and one upfront on Elvis.


Did you continue to pay attention to what they
were doing with the cameras through out the
concert?

No, not really.....


Do you believe from what you remember that
inreturn the crew from MGM ended up filming
more or less the whole concert?

Sure, I can't see why they
wouldn't have, they were there right till the
end....
The camera to the right of me shot the audience
occasionally.


What else can you add, which I haven't asked
about Debbie...?

My Mother was also recalling
the evening..

(by the way her mother is 67 years
of age and also a marathon runner)
There was a delay before Elvis came on.
She was thinking that there may have been a
bomb scare that night.


Your Mother was right Debbie..
there was a bomb scare that night...
great memory......

By the way, you saw Elvis one more time
didn't you?

Yes....

How many years later and Where.....

I saw Elvis in Las Vegas a year or so later.

Which was the better concert the Phoenix Concert
or the Vegas Concert?

I liked him better in Phoenix.
He seemed heavier and out of shape in
Las Vegas.


Well, once again Debbie thank you so much
for your time...it's much appreciated....

Your welcome....

Take care.....


londonflash wrote:I've already said there's film from both concerts, according to a couple of collector chaps I've spoken to. Just can't remember the exact details for the Pheonix film...but there is film from that show of Elvis.


londonflash out of curiosity do you have anymore information
since you last posted, what you brought up?

PEP 8)

Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:42 am

I would question her reliability after she said she saw him approximately a year later and he was heavy and out of shape. Does she know what out of shape looks like???

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:40 am

Me wrote:I would question her reliability
after she said she saw him approximately
a year later and he was heavy and out of
shape. Does she know what out of shape
looks like???


Well, you have to remember she comes from a family
that appears to be into physical fitness....

Outside looking in my quess would be when the people
around here gain the least amount of weight they would
look even heavier to them....

You have to remember also she first saw Elvis when he was
at his thinnest....by 72' Elvis was far from fat or really
heavy, but there was a period there prior to Aloha
where he did gain a little bit of weight and didn't look
as good as he did in 70....Not to say that, that is a bad
thing either...

But to a young teenager maybe it was something she
right away noticed....because of her back ground...

Just a guess....

PEP 8)

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:44 pm

Great info PEP!

Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:04 pm

Nice work, PEP.

Unfortunately, that's all I can remember from what I was told.

Pheonix filmed, at least in part (quite a portion), but the quality isn't fantastic. Of course, that may be becasue the collector had film that wasn't early generation. Like I said, there may not be any sound.

Boston, much better. Test film for MGM. Possibly just one camera like the Buffalo show filmed early April. That begs the question, why film the Buffalo concert in that way too? Extra practice? A mate who's seen the Boston film told me it was brilliant. Once again, film quality not tremendous (and remember Elvis was wearing black). Thing is, there seems to be no record of the gig being filmed in MGM's paperwork.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:33 pm

Nice article just gimme all the 69/70 stuff screw all the rest of it :D

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:10 pm

Maybe Ernst can shed some light on this subject at some point in the future. He knows what footage is in the vaults, but he does like to keep certain things under wraps so-to-speak as well.

If the show or the majority of the show was filmed, it seems strange that it has not leaked into the underground market after all these years (as someone else pointed out). However, great things strangely stay in vaults for many years. Who would have thought it would have taken BMG almost 30 years to release a complete show from 1970....

Who knows, maybe it will be some sort of big surprise for the upcoming DVD the estate is working on (if they own the phantom footage).

Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:43 pm

londonflash wrote:Nice work, PEP.

Unfortunately, that's all I can remember from what I was told.

Pheonix filmed, at least in part (quite a portion), but the quality isn't fantastic. Of course, that may be becasue the collector had film that wasn't early generation. Like I said, there may not be any sound.
Hi londonflash, not sure if I'm understanding you correctly are you saying, your contact does have Phoenix footage where one sees Elvis on stage, but it's not the best quality, yet it is MGM film ...not 8mm footage, and you personally haven't seen it, only what you have been told, is that correct?

Boston, much better. Test film for MGM. Possibly just one camera like the Buffalo show filmed early April. That begs the question, why film the Buffalo concert in that way too? Extra practice? A mate who's seen the Boston film told me it was brilliant. Once again, film quality not tremendous (and remember Elvis was wearing black). Thing is, there seems to be no record of the gig being filmed in MGM's paperwork.


Regarding Boston footage, I am aware and I'm sure some of you are aware as well, there has been some footage floating around for years, where we see a right hand angle waist up footage, the quality is extremly bad tho, like sixth generation and is slient footage, not a problem there of course anymore.

However it looks to me as tho it is 8mm, not 16 mm....
however I do not think the close up footage is from Boston tho.

Does anyone know the footage I am talking about?

There is also a long shot which is of the Boston show, however it is definitely 8mm not 16 mm......

This footage can be seen on Christian M site

http://elvis-rare-footage.forumactif.com/

http://elvis-rare-footage.forumactif.co ... .forum?f=6

PEP 8)

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:54 am

londonflash wrote:Possibly just one camera like the Buffalo show filmed early April.

Buffalo on April 5 was videotaped, not filmed.

Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
londonflash wrote:Possibly just one camera like the Buffalo show filmed early April.

Buffalo on April 5 was videotaped, not filmed.


Has this video been making the rounds yet?

I asked this question pretty well know the answer...

Still, I ask the question just in case something
has changed that I do not know about...


PEP 8)

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:37 am

Hi PEP,

This guy isn't a contact, just someone I spoke to via pms about this a couple of years ago when a similiar post apeared on here.

Yes, Elvis is seen on stage in the Pheonix film, and it's defintiely MGM film.

No, I've never seen it, but this chap can be believed.

With these kind of things, the key is patience. It's bound to come out one day, like the other TTWII and EOT film. As time goes on and more collectors buy it, it the chances are one of them will produce copies for a wider audience.

Doc - or anyone else - what's the difference between film and videotape? Cameras etc is not really something I know much about.

Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:13 am

Some of the videofootage from Buffalo is included in EOT.

Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:20 am

londonflash wrote:Hi PEP,

This guy isn't a contact, just someone I spoke to via pms about this a couple of years ago when a similiar post apeared on here.

Yes, Elvis is seen on stage in the Pheonix film, and it's defintiely MGM film.

No, I've never seen it, but this chap can be believed.
Well, lets hope what you say is true, meaning the fellow who PM you was telling you the truth.... :wink:

Are you able to describe some other things about this fellow without giving him away as to why you might believe him?

What sort of collector is he?

Are you still in contact?

How did the contact start?

Why you? :lol: :wink:


Doc - or anyone else - what's the difference between film and videotape? Cameras etc is not really something I know much about.


I guess the easiest way to explain about film verses video is film
needs to be developed like the 35 mm film in your own personal
click click camera at one time, ( I say at one time because you
may be digital at this time) the film in your camera couldn't be
seen until you took it to your local camera store for development...

The same holds true for film used in movie camera's the film would
be developed in a production house owned in most cases by the studio...

Home 8mm camera's became popular for home use in the
early 50's maybe earlier...used extensively by the Elvis fans
in the 70's, of course, there were a few people who had
opportunity to film Elvis during the 50's and 60's as well.

The quality of 8 mm film is actualy really poor when you
compare it to the video camera's of today, the cameras
and the film lacked depth, and detail quality, and not
until the late 70's did sound really become either available
or affordable for one to have it included in their camera's...

Major studio's would normally produce their movie's using
35 mm film not the same type of 35 mm film found in
your click click camera of course but based on the same
principal..except of course it would be so many
frames per second...recording motion instead of
one stop action..16 mm was used to produce EOT
and 35 mm was use to produce TTWII.....
the higher the number the better the quality.....
I believe today they go as high as
75 mm if not higher....

When video was being used to record or test how Elvis
would look on film for EOT, Sony U-matic 3/4 inch video
tape recorders were used, which at the time was still fairly
expensive none the less but a lot cheaper than using 16 mm
film cameras plus one had the advantage of seeing the
results instantly using the U-matic 3/4 recorder, so that's
why they did it, however keep in mind the quality would
not hold up in editing for a normal major production.

Even tho they may have used a few seconds in the
Elvis on Tour movie, we are only talking seconds...

As, 1 inch or 3/4 inch video tape would not hold up
in a technical sense for its in quality in depth or
detail when one compares it to either 16 mm film
or 35 mm film...

Broadcast station's at the time would have been
probably using One inch reel to reel.....
for the time period the higher
the number the better the quality in video tape....
but if I'm not mistaken units were not portable....

Beta would soon be available in the next few years
and then of course VHS would follow however both
formats were meant for the consumer market only,
quality of course would never even come close to
what 3/4 or 1 Inch could produce...for the time period...

However there was different levels of Beta formats
which were developed for the broadcast market as
well and still used today for some of the smaller
broadcast companies...nevertheless that's
another story.....

The whole world has gone digital to a certain degree....

Film is still used today of course because of the
quality it can produce......eventually it will be replaced....
to some degree... if not all the way :wink:

PEP 8)

Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:05 pm

Thanks PEP. Hope you get my PM ok.

Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:20 pm

I have to agree PEP...thankfully both TTWII and On Tour were shot on film......as you have pointed out, the resolution of film (even 16mm) leaves the videotape of the day for dead.
Ironically Sony came up with High Band videotape in the early '80's, which replaced alot of 16mm work (news and TV)...although 16mm is still used today by many documentary makers and for high quality TV productions (and some film makers)

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:35 pm

Apparently a bit of the April 5 Buffalo videotape is seen in "This Is Elvis" -- during the karate montage set to the song "Kung-Fu Fighting." It may also have been used in EOT. The entire tape would certainly make for a nice 80 minute "bonus" on a DVD release, wouldn't it?

BTW, if you're going to improve the back cover of LSP-4445 ...

Image

... why not flip the reverse-image in the lower right hand corner ("4. Stranger In The Crowd") as well?

Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:29 pm

Buffalo footage was used during the karate opening scene of "On Tour"
Also, during CC Rider, Elvis was filmed from the back of the stage.
(With all the camera flashes.)
In Hampton Roads Elvis was not filmed from the back.
This could be Buffalo also..

Small part of Indy'72 can be seen halfway (split screen with Vernon)
It's a different show because suddenly the stage is lit up by small spotlights. :shock:

It's not easy to see all differences, as Elvis wears the same suit at these shows.

This footage screams to be released, but I'm affraid we can forget about 2007.
Because it's just damn near!

Cheers, RJ

Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:08 am

This footage screams to be released, but I'm affraid we can forget about 2007. Because it's just damn near!


Well, 2007 would be the 35th Anniversary of the On Tour film and the 30th Anniversary of Elvis' passing, so there is as good of a chance as ever for the On Tour footage to finally get a proper DVD release. Doubtful, but possible.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Apparently a bit of the April 5 Buffalo videotape is seen in "This Is Elvis" -- during the karate montage set to the song "Kung-Fu Fighting." It may also have been used in EOT. The entire tape would certainly make for a nice 80 minute "bonus" on a DVD release, wouldn't it?
Absolutely !

Doc, I'm was not trying to suggest we as fans wouldn't be
happy with what we would see....if shown to us....

It sometimes can be a technical issue with the people involved
depending on whether or not they are anal about this type of
material being released....because of the quality difference
involved....between 3/4 inch magnetic tape verses 16 mm
film....

On its own merit personally I wouldn't see a problem an nor
would too many people...however there sometimes
can be a problem for the powers that be, for them
in an artistic sense....and possibly in a technical way....

Their problem, not ours... :evil:

Still technology is so advance now these days, improvements
could be made if needed...to satisfy...I would like to
think so anyway....


BTW, if you're going to improve the back cover of LSP-4445 ...

... why not flip the reverse-image in the lower right hand corner ("4. Stranger In The Crowd") as well?


Didn't notice this before, did this within minutes to post....
Nevertheless now corrected... :wink:
Image
PEP 8)

Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:07 am

Good work! Which 1970 show is the center pic from?

Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:54 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Good work! Which 1970 show is the center pic from?


It is listed as Portland Oregon, November 11 1970 Memorial Coliseum.

PEP 8)

Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:20 pm

It is listed as Portland Oregon, November 11 1970 Memorial Coliseum.


Great show. Does anyone know of BMG has a soundboard of it? Does Sessions III list it as a possible board? Don't have the book handy at the moment....

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:52 pm

midnightx wrote:
It is listed as Portland Oregon, November 11 1970 Memorial Coliseum.


Great show. Does anyone know of BMG has a soundboard of it? Does Sessions III list it as a possible board? Don't have the book handy at the moment....


Tunzi does suugest in his book...
Image
The Oregon, November 11 1970 show was recorded as
a sounboard, along with Phoenix on the 9th of Sept 1970...
and so many more.....as you all can see :shock:
Image
I'm a little surprised FTD isn't releasing some of this
material, if they do have it in their vaults.... :evil:

midnightx here's a little surpise for you if you haven't
seen this....I'm assuming you are a Bowie fan... :wink:
here's a cool version, I think anyway, of Bowie
singing his song "Heros" in Germany 2002
The quality of sound is pretty good....
phpBB [video]


Sorry people for sidetracking a bit...
but I think we will be OK, and get through it :lol: :wink:
Triva note:
Bowie was born on January 8 1947..
so there is a little Elvis association here.. :lol: :wink:
Just not on topic... :D

PEP 8)