All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

DVD-R's sold as factory made DVD's

Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:55 am

The so called Star "releases" are not factory made but DVD-R's. Sellers on Ebay may not tell you this so just beware.

EDIT: I changed the title of the thread to make it more accurate as it was pointed out that none of these dvd's are available as factory made ones.

EDIT 2: I have removed the name of the seller. The seller gave me a full refund.
Last edited by Marko on Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:15 am

Just took a look at the seller's list and there's no reason to expect that they would be factory DVDs. They seem to be all releases that are only available on DVD-R in the first place. Good luck getting factory versions of Star releases Marko :)

Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:45 am

TJ wrote:Just took a look at the seller's list and there's no reason to expect that they would be factory DVDs.

Apart from the fact that it is not told anywhere in the listing that they are DVD-R's?

When I buy a dvd I expect it to be a factory pressed one unless otherwise indicated. Even if Star-releases are all DVD-R's doesn't change that, TJ.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:59 am

Normally, the seller only states that it is a factory pressed silver CD or DVD if it actually is. If it is not stated, don't expect it. You'll often be disappointed.

Also, you have the option to ask before buying. By all means....use it.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:11 am

So, even though it's been brought to your attention that Star only supply DVDr's, you'd like factory pressed versions?

It sounds like you might have bid on the genuine article, ie DVDs that were supplied by Star, but you're still not happy?

My suggestion is you enjoy the excellent DVD's that are now in your possesion, and don't worry about it, especially as she only sells her DVD's for $11.99 - hardly extortionate!

Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:51 am

Again we have to note the difference between a release that is cdr or dvdr and a cdr/dvdr copy.

There is a World of difference IMO.

The Star DVDrs are just great, and the fact that they are not factory pressed really does not negate the fact that they are excellent work and a real "gift" for any fan.

DarrylMac is 100% correct when he says that $11.99 is a reasonable price indeed, and that is Buy It Now - hang around for the end of the auction, or just stick in a bid and you can get 'em for $8.99!!

Having said all that, I have no idea whether this seller has "real" Star DVDrs or is churning out their own copies!!! Like Rob says, just click the button marked "ask seller a question" and ask away!!

Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:18 pm

Factory made dvd's and dvd-r's are very different items. If one sells dvd-r's they should implicate it clearly. That's my point. Oh, BTW, the prices have dropped now from what it was before.

Yes, I guess, it's stupid to believe that someone actually descripes the items correctly on Ebay. ;)

Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:30 pm

Marko - it it Star themselves that are at fault then? Perhaps this seller thought that anyone who buys a Star DVD would know there is no such thing as a factory pressed Star DVD.

As far as I can see, her listings are accurate.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:41 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Marko - it it Star themselves that are at fault then? Perhaps this seller thought that anyone who buys a Star DVD would know there is no such thing as a factory pressed Star DVD.

Yes, damn Star for putting out all this sh#t :wink:

If they can't find a pressing plant that will make boots for them, well they should jolly well keep all their great material to themselves!! MFs :wink:

Ebay sellers have to be a bit careful when listing that they do not alert ebay to the fact that the item is not "authorised" etc. I am not condoning fake recordable media items as I am vehemently opposed to such items unless it is made VERY clear that it is a copy.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:42 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Marko - it it Star themselves that are at fault then? Perhaps this seller thought that anyone who buys a Star DVD would know there is no such thing as a factory pressed Star DVD.

Then she thought wrong, Darryl. You're really missing the point. I don't mind buying a DVD-R if that is told to me before I buy it. If Star "releases" are DVD-R's then it should told clearly. It is always the sellers responsible to desrcipe the items correctly. The difference between factory and home made DVD is important. In fact, I do not consider home made CD's or DVD's as "releases" at all.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:46 pm

BIGREDG wrote:

Yes, damn Star for putting out all this sh#t :wink:

If they can't find a pressing plant that will make boots for them, well they should jolly well keep all their great material to themselves!! MFs :wink:

Good idea. :wink:

Or maybe the sellers should just come clear about it? No, wait, that would be just too much trouble, wouldn't it? :lol:

Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:35 pm

You will hardly find anyone who openly states that he sells recordable media via Ebay, since that is forbidden by the rules of Ebay. Therefore, anything that is not labelled as "original" or the like is quite likely a CDR or DVDR (unless you know in advance that the seller sells only originals). And there are differences in DVDRs as well: factory made DVDR, home made DVDR that work, home made DVDR ...

Speaking of import DVDs: is there a DVD-list as comprehensive as the CD-list on http://www.elvisoncd.com somewhere? The list on this site is somewhat short. And there are things you want to know in advance, for instance if the songs are interrupted every 10 seconds, or if it is a submarine shot.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:09 pm

The difference between factory and home made DVD is important. In fact, I do not consider home made CD's or DVD's as "releases" at all.

And yet, you were still looking to buy them! If the issue is so important to you, surely a little research on this very MB would have given you the info you needed.

There are, unfortunately, many ebay frauds that happen, but this certainly isn't one of them.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:32 pm

DarrylMac wrote:
The difference between factory and home made DVD is important. In fact, I do not consider home made CD's or DVD's as "releases" at all.

And yet, you were still looking to buy them! If the issue is so important to you, surely a little research on this very MB would have given you the info you needed.

I'm not the one who is required to find out whether something is factory made or not. It is responsible for the seller to tell this on the listing. Please point to me excatly where does the seller say in her listing that she's selling dvd-r's. If you can't do that please don't waste my time anymore.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:46 pm

As an ebay seller/buyer, I think he should make it clear they are DVD-R
Rick

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:53 pm

rickeap wrote:As an ebay seller/buyer, I think he should make it clear they are DVD-R
Rick

Thank you. Great to see that there's at least someone with some common sense here.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:57 pm

No problem Marko. It's a thing called honesty. I've got more than 300 e-bay feedbacks and 100% positive and I am to keep it that way by being honest and accurate in my descriptions of items.
I've purchased a DVD-r horror movie (that, along with movie poster collection is another of my habits) that wouldn't play on my machine. At least the sller refunded me.
Cheers
Rick

Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:41 pm

I'm not the one who is required to find out whether something is factory made or not. It is responsible for the seller to tell this on the listing. Please point to me excatly where does the seller say in her listing that she's selling dvd-r's. If you can't do that please don't waste my time anymore.

Marko, as others have pointed out, it's illegal to sell DVDr/ CDr material on ebay, so if she had have pointed this out, you wouldn't have had the opportunity to see this great material in the first place.

Also, it's probably technically illegal for Star to be releasing bootleg DVD's in the first place, but you were still happy to buy them. Perhaps you'd like her ad to read " Illegal Bootleg DVD, illegally supplied on DVDR"?

I say to you again, the seller sold you genuine Star DVDs that were exactly as described in the listing, at a very reasonable price, which is why she has the 100% rating you seem so upset about.

As for wasting your time - as I said earlier, if you'd asked on this board are all Star DVD's supplied on DVDr, you'd have had your answer in 2 minutes, and then you would never have bought them, as you don't consider DVDr's "releases" :roll:

Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:56 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Marko, as others have pointed out, it's illegal to sell DVDr/ CDr material on ebay, so if she had have pointed this out, you wouldn't have had the opportunity to see this great material in the first place.

This has nothing to do with the issue in hand.

DarrylMac wrote:Also, it's probably technically illegal for Star to be releasing bootleg DVD's in the first place, but you were still happy to buy them. Perhaps you'd like her ad to read " Illegal Bootleg DVD, illegally supplied on DVDR"?

No, that wouldn't be necessary. The DVD-R bit would be just fine. ;)

DarrylMac wrote:I say to you again, the seller sold you genuine Star DVDs that were exactly as described in the listing, at a very reasonable price, which is why she has the 100% rating you seem so upset about.

Upset? I don't think so.

DarrylMac wrote:As for wasting your time - as I said earlier, if you'd asked on this board are all Star DVD's supplied on DVDr, you'd have had your answer in 2 minutes, and then you would never have bought them, as you don't consider DVDr's "releases" :roll:

Yeah and if she had mentioned it in her listing I would have had my answer in matter of seconds. The only thing that has any relevance here is her listing and I don't see you pointing out anything new there.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:48 pm

Marko wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:]
As for wasting your time - as I said earlier, if you'd asked on this board are all Star DVD's supplied on DVDr, you'd have had your answer in 2 minutes, and then you would never have bought them, as you don't consider DVDr's "releases" :roll:

Yeah and if she had mentioned it in her listing I would have had my answer in matter of seconds. The only thing that has any relevance here is her listing and I don't see you pointing out anything new there.

The relevant point, which you don't seem to be catching on to, is that if it was mentioned in the listing, the listing would be closed and those who want to buy would be deprived. The listings do not say they are factory pressed and the vast majority of fans know they are only available in DVD-R. That's even stated in magazine and online reviews. Sure, putting DVD-R in the listings would have made this more clear for the minority that don't know, but unofficial items have to stay under the Ebay radar or none of us get hold of them. Besides, now you know that they are only available in DVD-R, aren't you satisfied that you don't have an inferior copy? Or would you rather be without the great material, just because they aren't available in factory pressed format? You might not consider DVD-R releases to be proper releases, but I think the countless fans who love these fan-produced efforts from Star would disagree. They are probably the best unofficial DVDs currently being released. Deprive yourself if you want, but I'm sure the rest of us will continue to enjoy them :)

Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:58 pm

Marko wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:Marko, as others have pointed out, it's illegal to sell DVDr/ CDr material on ebay, so if she had have pointed this out, you wouldn't have had the opportunity to see this great material in the first place.

This has nothing to do with the issue in hand..

Errr how can this have nothing to do with the issue at hand???

You are complaining that the listing did not tell you everything you needed to know, DM is telling you that the listing cannot tell you what you needed to know without being removed by ebay. Sounds very relevant to me.

Therefore ask what you need to know!! It is no good quoting the ebay rules!! If all sellers followed those, there would be no such items factory pressed or DVDr on ebay.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:23 pm

TJ / BigRed - thanks for the support. Marko - enjoy your DVDs, as others have said, they are excellent.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:29 pm

TJ wrote:The relevant point, which you don't seem to be catching on to, is that if it was mentioned in the listing, the listing would be closed and those who want to buy would be deprived. The listings do not say they are factory pressed and the vast majority of fans know they are only available in DVD-R. That's even stated in magazine and online reviews. Sure, putting DVD-R in the listings would have made this more clear for the minority that don't know, but unofficial items have to stay under the Ebay radar or none of us get hold of them.

BIGREDG wrote:You are complaining that the listing did not tell you everything you needed to know, DM is telling you that the listing cannot tell you what you needed to know without being removed by ebay. Sounds very relevant to me.

I've bought loads of stuff from ebay and I know how the system works. There are ways of letting you know whether the item is dvd-r or cd-r without getting caught.

ebay

Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:34 am

I've bought from this person time and time again, and I have no complaints. She sent what was ordered, replaced what didnt work, and refunded what I didnt like. NO questions. Besides, with an exception to maybe 3 titles tops (Time Warp, TTWII Sessions, EOT Sessions) NO ELVIS IMPORT DVD HAS BEEN SILVER PRESSED! I spoke with the seller and she said she ordered directly from STAR, MEMORY, and other labels she has. This means you got what the label itself is putting out. Quit whining or stick to just the BMG releases.

Re: DVD-R's sold as factory made DVD's

Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:47 am

Marko wrote:EDIT: I changed the title of the thread to make it more accurate as it was pointed out that none of these dvd's are available as factory made ones.

so why are you still complaining? If none are even available as silver-pressed dvds, then you knew full well what you were buying. Meaning you would be purple holding your breath for any BMG releases like these. Go enjoy your same Aloha show over and over, I like the rare stuff.