Excellent E.I.C commentary.

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Post by 3577 »

midnightx wrote:
All this ''respect'' and ''care'' for his legacy is of course bull-s*it. Dont judge people who are in favour of EIC.
And don't judge people who are not in favor of an official release of EIC. Your lack of "respect" and "care" for Elvis' legacy is quite sad.

Maybe Eric Clapton's concern for his "legacy" should be ignored and he should just release the controversial 1978 documentary/film Eric Clapton's Rolling Hotel where he is drunk and stoned off of his ass and travling around Europe in a Nazi train.

Not everything that exists on film or tape should be released. If an artist or an artist's estate has "respect" and "care" for their legacy, deal with it.
Do i need to explain everything? Especially for.......his name just escapes me.

Anyway, i didnt come up with respect and legacy, God of this MB did. Its just so overreacting. Like there's been World-War III coming when EIC should come out. Respecting his legacy, everyone has their own idea's about that. You think its sad. I dont. You cant think for me.

Media + common people ''are not band-members''. Who's the Einstein here? :evil:

As for the Estate, it's their opinion for not releasing it. Not a fact. Got that, God?.............ehhhh djc, now i remember. Please, take a nap for the next few years.

Topic author

ELVIS IN CONECRT-Article

Post by Guest »

A reminder that iIwrote a piece on the CBS special you may want to check out titled HE WILL ALWAYS BE THE KING NO MATTER WHAT for my column ELVIS STRAIGHT UP--check it out in the ELVIS SQUAD section back at the main page--Needless to say,I think it can be "re-imagined" as a much better looking piece than CBS was able to throw together by October of 1977

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Needless to say,I think it can be "re-imagined" as a much better looking piece than CBS was able to throw together by October of 1977
The CBS version is really not a poorly executed program on paper. The producers included all the fan favorites that would have been expected by Elvis' audience. It wasn't their fault that Elvis' lackluster performances were the problem. Everyone who is pro-EIC thinks that recutting the footage will miraculously show these 2 concerts in some sort of positive light. And face it, a recut version would not please the pro-EIC crowd, they want the 3-4 hours of uncut footage in clearly remastered form and in 5.1 surround sound. Totally bizarre.

In the end, it will be astonishing if Lisa Marie Presley ever allows an official release of the bulk of this footage. A few select performances may see the light of day in future projects, but she is not going to approve a release.

sam

Post by sam »

midnightx wrote: but she is not going to approve a release.
You know this for a fact???

Stick around for the I told you so!!! :wink:

:lol:

Topic author
Larry Dickman

Post by Larry Dickman »

midnightx wrote:
In the end, it will be astonishing if Lisa Marie Presley ever allows an official release of the bulk of this footage. A few select performances may see the light of day in future projects, but she is not going to approve a release.
Does LMP still own the rights to this footage, or is it in Sillermans hands?

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Putting aside the rights or wrong of releasing EIC. I think we all know where each of us stand.

Is there any commercial justification for such a release?

As we know the lack of sales for TTWII SE has not been conducive to an Elvis On Tour DVD.

One would think that EOT had more sales potential than EIC.....but if EIC can't make the cut....why would EIC?

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

KiwiAlan wrote:Putting aside the rights or wrong of releasing EIC. I think we all know where each of us stand.

As we know the lack of sales for TTWII SE has not been conducive to an Elvis On Tour DVD.

One would think that EOT had more sales potential than EIC.....but if EIC can't make the cut....why would EIC?
Commercial? No way...

FTD? Yes.

To me, that's the ONLY way.

Rich

ImageImageImage

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

Larry Dickman wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Does LMP still own the rights to this footage, or is it in Sillermans hands?
LMP still has the final word on any decisions.

Yes, LMP / EPE owns the footage.

Rich

ImageImageImage

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Rich_TCB wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:Putting aside the rights or wrong of releasing EIC. I think we all know where each of us stand.

Commercial? No way...

FTD? Yes.

To me, that's the ONLY way.

Rich
FTD is a record company.....the cost of producing a DVD project for limited FTD sales would be prohibitive without general distribution to amortize expence.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

Hmmmmmm.......

A good point, something that's been mentioned a few times.

I can see it now - the whole project would come to a halt, as soon as they try to get clearance for "Are You Lonesome Tonight".

We were lucky enough to finally have it included in the new DVD's of '68 and Aloha.

Rich

ImageImageImage

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

The odd thing to me is that this footage is being treated as if we are the only ones who have seen it, and therefore we must guard it lest the general public see it.

The public has already seen it.........which renders the argument that we must protect Elvis to the level of the argument a drooling imbecile might proffer in regards to protecting his brain with a tin foil hat from the aliens.

Perhaps we should ban the Zapruder footage as well........we must protect JFK. Sure everyone has already seen it ad nauseum...........but apparently that makes no difference.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Scatter wrote:The public has already seen it.........which renders the argument that we must protect Elvis to the level of the argument a drooling imbecile might proffer in regards to protecting his brain with a tin foil hat from the aliens.
Your postings are starting to get a little weird.

If the cap fits, wear it. For the record, many of those who were horrified by the 1977 or 1978 broadcasts are no longer with us. It's not 1979, it's 2006. With every year that passes, the stigma of "Elvis In Concert" diminishes. And I'm sure EPE and LMP are happy about that.

Now, if we can rid the world of the jumpsuit fools, the restoration will be complete.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scatter wrote:The public has already seen it.........which renders the argument that we must protect Elvis to the level of the argument a drooling imbecile might proffer in regards to protecting his brain with a tin foil hat from the aliens.
Your postings are starting to get a little weird.

illustrate absurdity with absurdity I always say.........

If the cap fits, wear it.

Ahhhhhhhh, there's the rub. The cap isn't for people who dwell in reality. It's for those who construct their own reality.

For example......"If we don't release EIC , people will forget what happened to Elvis"........or "If we don't release EIC, somehow the multitude of copies out there will cease being distributed on eBay, YouTube, Google, etc., so no NEW people will see it and people will forget what happened to Elvis". Tin foil hat territory.

For the record, many of those who were horrified by the 1977 or 1978 broadcasts are no longer with us. It's not 1979, it's 2006. With every year that passes, the stigma of "Elvis In Concert" diminishes. And I'm sure EPE and LMP are happy about that.

Please cite evidence of this, for this is the crux of the issue. You seem to labor under the delusion that if EPE doesn't release it, it will no longer be seen. And, while I agree that the folks who have died won't see it any more, the succeeding generations will ALL see it whether EPE likes it or not. The tape is out there...........it is being viewed all over the web even as we speak.

Therefore, how will the withholding of the tape diminish the stigma, when the tape held by EPE is no longer necessary to perpetuate the stigma??

It's out there............it's being seen in crappy audio/video every day by millions. I can take you to a dozen outlets where it's available to view right now on the web.

That is why I contend that to defend your position is tantamount to sporting a metallic chapeau . It's an alternate reality. That view is only defensible if the EPE boycott of EIC would be capable of stopping the tape from being seen. Clearly that cannot happen. Therefore, I ask again......what do you hope to accomplish by resisting the release of this film?? It will still be seen. It will still be sought, since it's the last quality footage we have of Elvis. It will be seen in GREATER numbers every year regardless due to the exponential increase in computer access that is inevitable. As I said, the boycott of this tape accomplishes nothing.

Now, if we can rid the world of the jumpsuit fools, the restoration will be complete.

There's just as much chance of that happening (unfortunately) as there is of EPE keeping the CBS Special out of the hands of the masses. Put it out on FTD...........minimize the exposure (who the hell would know it was there to review?? ), and present it in a respectful format.

I guarantee you that it will come out. Guaranteed. Better sooner than later. Eventually, EPE's barrel will run dry, and this video will be viewed in precisely the same manner that EPE views everything else from ducks to dolls. A revenue stream.

sam

Post by sam »

Nice post scatter.
Nice to see some intellect on this topic.

8)
Last edited by sam on Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Larry Dickman

Post by Larry Dickman »

Scatter wrote:[
That is why I contend that to defend your position is tantamount to sporting a metallic chapeau . It's an alternate reality. That view is only defensible if the EPE boycott of EIC would be capable of stopping the tape from being seen. Clearly that cannot happen. Therefore, I ask again......what do you hope to accomplish by resisting the release of this film?? It will still be seen. It will still be sought, since it's the last quality footage we have of Elvis. It will be seen in GREATER numbers every year regardless due to the exponential increase in computer access that is inevitable. As I said, the boycott of this tape accomplishes nothing. [/color]

I guarantee you that it will come out. Guaranteed. Better sooner than later. Eventually, EPE's barrel will run dry, and this video will be viewed in precisely the same manner that EPE views everything else from ducks to dolls. A revenue stream. [/color]
[/quote]

With those two paragraphs, it's game, set and match.

Post by 3577 »

Great reply, Scatter. My compliments.

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

I’ve always been against a mainstream release of this footage, and like many other people that post here I find the majority of it painful viewing.

Having said that now that we have a collector’s label, I see no reason why the footage shouldn’t be made available via the collectors label for those that want to own it.

As others have already pointed out this footage is not particularly difficult to find. There are clips available via you tube, and there are also fan sites that are streaming the whole thing. If the media wanted access to the footage I order to put Elvis down, it’s already out there for them to tap into.

We don’t see articles in Mojo and Q each month telling us that the “Spring Tours” or “Dragonheart” CD’s show Elvis in a less than positive light, because these releases were put out by the collectors label, and outside of the fan base nobody else is interested.

I feel the same would apply to the CBS footage if it were to be issued in this way.
Think about it – if any magazine or newspaper were planning a Goldman style expose on Elvis’ legacy, after less than five minutes on Google they would already have all the material they need, irrespective of whether the CBS tapes ever see the light of day officially.

Yes, it’s a sad final chapter in a great career, and many fans myself included, don’t like to sit and watch it too often, but for those that do a limited FTD release (it doesn’t even have to stay in the catalogue indefinitely like the majority of the titles that have been issued so far) wouldn’t do any harm in my opinion.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Excellent article Scatter and valid points made on both sides. Has LMP ever talked about EIC in any fashion?

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

I'm against all of the footage being released to the mainstream market. The Omaha show is by & large pitiful. However, I do think a compilation of the best performances (mostly from Rapid City) carefully edited would be a viable release. Think the original special with additional performances such as I Got a Woman/Amen; If You Love Me Let Me Know; It's Now Or Never; Trying To Get To You; Hawaiin Wedding Song; Unchained Melody; and perhaps Fairytale and Little Sister included. I'd also like the backstage presentation included as well. He is so sweet to that child, and if people see that it may deflect some of the "he's a fat redneck druggie" garbage.
I would prefer it be a limited (FTD) release, but on the other hand if such a product was to be released into the mass market I believe it would surprise a lot of folks. I suspect the general attitude would be "he doesn't look too good, but man could he still sing!" Some folks will even see that he wasn't the Jabba-the-hutt that he's often made out to be at this time.

Having said all this, I still think EOT needs to come first.

ClintReno

Post by ClintReno »

Since several points I made in a another recent 'CBS' topic never did receive any kind of plausible rebuttal from those on the opposing side of the argument, I make no apologies for repeating some of the same points here again in my reply.

In short, I'm curious as to who some of you think the shallow people are that supposedly need spoon feeding the 'thin as a rake and handsomer than 10 movie stars' image whilst at the same time require shielding from the CBS Special Elvis image, in order that they take an interest in the man and his music. What a bizarre notion that people like that should be a consideration, if indeed any are that shallow.

Are we to believe that the 'A Little Less Conversation' remix would have been shunned by the public and not been the astonishing success it was had Omaha and Rapid City been available as a deluxe DVD package available through some sort of collectors label release at the time of the singles release - come off it !

One could be forgiven for wondering if some of the cases being made for the shows to continue to be hidden away are being made on the shaky foundation of long held biases regarding the material, or indeed long held biases of Elvis' later career output in general.

The absurd lambasting in some recent topics on the forum directed at such tracks as 'I'll Never Fall In Love Again' and the Olivia Newton John songs Elvis covered would further substantiate that long held biases theory.

Regardless, to suggest that the availability of such material through official channels would be colosally damaging to Elvis' reputation is one tired old dog of an argument that just wont hunt.

A collector label type release over 2 or 3 DVD discs of both complete shows together with perhaps an expanded special, Indianapolis airport footage and anything else around that period which may be available would be a welcome release for many I'm sure.

It's all Elvis and even those that don't 'get' the 76 and 77 stuff shouldn't be concerned that it negates anything that went before.

Lastly, to suggest that those who want these 1977 shows want them for selfish reasons to 'have them in a collection' is a fallacious argument.

I suggest most of us that would like an official edition of these shows want them because we actually want to 'play them' and can actually look beyond the aesthetics and enjoy Elvis' performances, unlike those of you who are against the shows being available (some of whom by your own admission don't watch the copies of the shows you already have anyway !).

official member of the Harum Scarum Soundtrack Appreciation Society

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Clint, you make valid points, thanks!

Topic author
Larry Dickman

Post by Larry Dickman »

Clint, you will recieve no rebuttal from me. A most articulate post....thank you.
Hope EPE are paying attention.

Pete I'm with you regarding Omaha......a 'best of' would be good, although, Omaha could be included as an Easter Egg.....maybe not as well publicised as the recent '68 and Aloha eggs.

Dan The Man

Post by Dan The Man »

We(Elvis Fans) all have it one way or the other. FTD could be ok but mainstream would be a disaster. No one would look at it and say " Damn he's good". Just think of the advertisement trouble: "The King, Like You Never Seen Him Before ..." or how about "23 Years Right Down The Drain: Elvis In Concert". Don't get me wrong on this, I see it once in a while but there's no point in showing it global. It was shown on tv here in the E.U. every August from '78 to mid 80th's, and I don't think it served his legacy.

sam

Post by sam »

Good post Clint. I agree entirely!!! :D

8)

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Scatter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:If the cap fits, wear it.
Ahhhhhhhh, there's the rub. The cap isn't for people who dwell in reality. It's for those who construct their own reality.
Right.
Scatter wrote:It's out there............it's being seen in crappy audio/video every day by millions.
"Every day by millions"??? Hope the cap is not too tight a fit.

The "EIN Note" at the end of the essay in question provides the perspective so many of you lack. I suggest all you advocates of this tragic period read it.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!