Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
KingOfTheJungle
Registered for: 21 years

BMG 2000 TTWII Special Edition An Abject Failure

Post by KingOfTheJungle »

Don't get me wrong- the concert from the 12th is great, but I just recently got a good turntable, and let me say this:

If you have not heard the LP version of this album on a good stereo system, you are at a loss. It's like hearing it for the first time.

I captured samples of the album on my computer, and compared it to the 2000 "Remaster" of this album, and I was absolutely stunned at what GARBAGE this BMG cd is. The poor EQ, crappy noise reduction, and general contempt for sound quality on this CD is downright profane.

So I tried an experiment- I took my Japanese TTWII CD, and matched the EQ as closely as possiblle to the LP version. It doesn't quite capture the warmth of the LP (although it does get rid of the pops), but my version is SHOCKINGLY better than this BMG release.

I haven't any DSD transfers from this album, so perhaps they will be better, but my main question is this:

WHEN are the folks at SONY/BMG going to start treating Elvis's 1970's catalog with some respect.

ERNST has to fix this horrible error with a GOOD FTD version of the TTWII LP (It's gotta be better sound than on Today, and hopefully better than the Japanese version too). This album is one of the gems of Elvis's catalogue, and MUST be given a good official release.

Sorry to vent folks, but if you do this comparison you'll be just as angry- even the non-audiophiles amongst you.

King Of The Jungle

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

What exactly do you think was done differently on the triple CD set issued by BMG in 2000? Who did the job? In your comparison, does it lack the "warmth" of a good, deep-end sound?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
KingOfTheJungle

Post by KingOfTheJungle »

The sound is flat and muffled. I don't know what exactly they did, but it doesn't even sound as good as the 70's box. I know one problem is bad noise reduction. The digital engineers on this were Dennis Ferrante Lene Reidel and James Nichols. I certainly hope Ernst gets someone who pays a little more attention to these things next time.

King Of The Jungle

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

Flat and muffled? Sounds like it was mastered at BMG and not the Sony Studios. Have you heard "You don't have to say you love me" & "I just can't help believin'" on "Love, Elvis"? These were done by Sony. I wouldn't get too excited about any pre-2003 BMG mastering... ;-)

GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by GERRY »

KingOfTheJungle,

Nearest i have heard to the original LP release is it's first outing on cd "ELVIS PRESLEY ELVIS - 'THAT'S THE WAY IT IS' 1970 BMG 74321 146902

This particular CD release was released before Ernst J/Lene Reidel or that Clown Dennis Ferrante started messing with the mixes.

It sounds very close to the original L.P

Damn i wish i still had that TTWII special cd released through Elvis Monthly that was the DB.

You are correct though i remember once hearing From Elvis In Memphis on a top turntable/amp in a hi fi listening room--and the bass extension shook the floor!! i was amazed at the sound--years later all this amazing sound is totally missing on the cd releases--they sound flat. :roll:

PS. I have two 4 grand REL subs and they dont even shift much air on these cd's there just aint nothing for them to get their teeth into it's all been EQ'ed and mixed out--

Unless it's because the mastertapes have aged?

Because that FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS was the mobile fidelity direct master back in the early 1980's could have even been late 70's.

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

The "From Elvis in Memphis" MFSL issue is definitely not the flat mastertape quality, this one has been significantly enhanced in the lows and highs (re-EQ'd). It's downright horrid compared to more recent DSD versions of the same songs. The vocals on that one sound very unnatural...

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I have to take issue with the absurdly over-the-top title of this thread.

I have been enjoying getting into audiphile concerns of late, thanks to JLGB, thenexte, and others here, but I'd wouldn't make it like this CD should be used as a frisbee. :lol: That's the impression I got from the title.

"Abject failure"? How about some overall perspective ...? At least mention that you mean the sound in the title....

Maybe I just listened to too many less-than pristine Elvis Lps, 8-tracks and cassettes over the years to ever get this upset over an otherwise stellar set like the TTWII set of 2000... :D

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

And isn't "abject failure" more like a double negative?

Abject being to lack in pride and therefore when you fail to lack in pride there must be some there.

I dont think there was a lack of pride in the overall package, a lack of ability maybe but then again peoples opinions differ on whats right or the right way in certain areas but not a lack of pride.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

I am not an audiophile, but it is a fact that some of BMG's efforts are way below par. Particularly the live recordings which have Elvis' voice way up front and the instruments buried in the background. The result is music so clean, soft and wimpy that only my 87 year old grandmother could enjoy it! It has no life at all. The drums sound like a whisper.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

O Happy Day sounds amaterish (maybe thats too high a compliment :lol: ) and the rest is ok/pretty good UNTIL you compare the sound of other CDs with same material.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Step forward, those who may have access to a better quality audio-version of "Oh Happy Day"...

I enjoyed it on it for it's content, much like "Hearts of Stone."

And I can't share the disappointment of Keith R. on this post. I know we should always push for the best audio, but not all that long ago (I"m talking about the '80s), we would have shouted from the mountaintops to have such a release. Overall, this remains a great set, people.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality