All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:16 pm

I have all these shows, too and I got to say ...they are made worse than they are...I don´t know where these mags got their infos from..
To be sincere....they aren`t bad at all.
Also in the other thread about the time after Aloha....I got to say the tour shows in 1973 were excellent..with Atlanta 3.7.73 being one of the best.....

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:48 pm

Here's the complete review, with as usual, little attention for the performance itself..

Cheers, RJ

Detroit Free Press
September 30, 1974

17,000 All Shook Up by Elvis
by Lawrence DeVine
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The King came to Detroit Sunday, and the world could have come to a silent halt outside Olympia Stadium. Few of the 17,105 screamers inside would have bothered to notice.

For time, in its way, stood still as Elvis Presley, the regal rock-and-roller, cannonaded onstage in his third decade of breaking hearts and launching dreamboatds.

Olympia looked - and sounded - like an atomic testing ground. Awash in the glare of hundreds of Instamatic flashbulbs, elvis sang "Love Me Tender" and kissed the girls and mae them scream"

IT WAS HIS THIRD visit to Detroit in recent years. He will repeat the concert Friday, a reported sellout like Sunday's appearance.

Sunday the kettledrums were pounding out his theme, borrowed from Richard Strauss".

"Also Sprach Zarathustra," a phalanx of his hefty body guards hustled him onto the stage as if he were heading off-tackle.

Presley sang a couple of notes. And then came the same delirium that has followed the onetime Tupelo, Miss. guitar player ever since his first gold record of "Heartbreak Hotel" in 1954.

Out front, wearing a six-inch rhinestone pin that spelled out "Elvis" in script was Mrs. Darlene Chandler of Romulus . She said she and her husband , Edward, had come to see their idol for the eighth time since high school days

"We drove to Cleveland once to see him," said Mrs. Chandler, "and we went to Las Vegas twice. We're still paying for that. He's awful sexy."

Her husband, who combs his pompadour in late-1950s Elvis-style, nodded approvingly and said his favotite Elvis song as "Poke Salad Annie" Detroit in the black, rented.

PRESLEY, who arrived in Playboy Bunny plane for his concert Sunday, showed up on stage in a pure white jump auit with a stand-up collar. On his back was a red-and-green rhinestone-encrusted Chinese dragon. A testament to Presley's innate good taste, the dragon did not light up or stick out its glass tongue

Presley, now 39, the age at which Shakespeare was writing "Hamlet," sang most of his own rock-and-roll classics with the enduring titles like "Hound Dog," "Teddy Bear" and All Shook Up"

To the sorrow of Mrs. Ruth Ray a housewife from White Lake, Mich., celebrating her 30th birthday, he did not sing her favorite, "You Gave Me A Mountain."

Mrs. Ray was carrying an Elvis Poster, a copy of the "Strictly Elvis" fan magazine, an a lapel button, which the on-stag announcer said was fashioned in "Van Giogh-like erds, Picasso-like splendor and living, loving color"

Presley sang "Fever," quivering in his familiar onstage ecstasy, as if his pelvis were hooked to a live plu. When the magic got too much for him, he fanned himself with the mike.

A pair of 30-ish twin ladies, in identical beehive hairdos, squealed in unison. By unoffical count, Elvis gave away 37 of his trademark neck scarves to graping fans at the stage apron.

Before he left, the lithe, strong-looking Presley gave them a couple of more bumps, and bent down to kiss an adoring blonde at ringside. When her husband's camera jammed, Presley kissed her again for the family's recorded posterity.

detroit disaster

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:49 pm

... If I remember correctly, Rocky announced having seen the light,

and went after the man from Bethlehem. He became a priest later

on. There was a long thread devoted to mr. Barra, about a year ago

on this mb. No, no jokes about religion from me this time. Its too

fragile a subject for some of you...

... Anyway, I still stand firm behind what Rocky had to say about

the concert, on the 29th. He was there, right? Whatever newspaper

people wrote back then, is hogwash most of the time. They sat thru

the opening, and left quickly for the nearest bar, and wrote their

review. So far, nobody has stepped forward with a copy of the show

on tape [ or cdr..] except the guys [ hi Rob!] with the wrong date

on them. And Joe his mate, who said it was a great show, I will take

with a pinch, no, pound of salt. People to this day will tell you how

great his Vegas december 76 shows were... and In Concert wasnt

too bad at all. It was CBS who fokked up, not Elvis...

... Rocky wasnt out to write lies. He adored the man.

So maybe the show run for 45 minutes, with Elvis doing 30 of them.

As far as I know, outside of Vegas, Voice were only to be heard/ seen

as part of the pre- Elvis show. Gettin no less than 3 non Elvis

performances thrown at you, in the midst of Elvis his performance,

must have been one blow in the face. The Stamps, okay. But

Voice was something straight out of gay club nightmare!

... Anybody found the concert yet?!

Re: detroit disaster

Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:00 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote: Gettin no less than 3 non Elvis

performances thrown at you, in the midst of Elvis his performance,

must have been one blow in the face. The Stamps, okay. But

Voice was something straight out of gay club nightmare!

:lol:

In fact it is a rip off, a 45-60 minute show is very short, also by 70's standards.
And if 10 minutes are filled with 3 sleeveless gaylords.. I can imagine some people expected a little more that evening.

detroit disaster

Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:53 pm

... Nothing wrong with gay people though!

Re read The article by Rocky once again... Heres how it ends.

Cisco, put your reading glasses on, and leave the rose colored ones on

the table. > "Now I am well aware that there are some readers who

do not like for us to print anything that is the least bit against Elvis...

for any reason. But this is not just my opinion.

It is fact! I received literally hundreds of letters from people who saw the

shows [ one or the other] that asked, "What happened,"

"Whats the matter with Elvis?" or told how disappointed they were...

and these are 100% fans, people who have followed Elvis

for years. " <

... Had we, the fans, at the time understood what was written, as far

back as 1974, would "What Happened" have had the impact it had,

back in 77?

... Im not taking a stand here. Ive been drunk more than once, in

my wild days. So drunk, I would fell of my bike, trying to make

it to my house. To me its clear, Elvis was on a 3 day drugs rush,

two days at College Park, and in Detroit, the 3rd day.

Popped out of it for a few days, and fell back into it again in

Indianapolis. And he didnt get stoned to ease the pain of a [ possible]

twisted colon. He got stoned because he liked being stoned.

... Trouble was, he forgot he had to do shows.

Why is this problem, that Elvis had, so hard to swallow, for many?

... Its pretty okay to get loaded in a bar. Totally accepted by most.

But gettin stoned? Nooo way!

Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:20 pm

Ger, it sounds to me like you get great delight out of pointing EP's addiction problems in the seventies, that's pretty sad if you ask me. What's also sad is your bias has gotten so bad, that you're almost to the point of being embarrassing. He had a problem, nobody's saying he didn't. But the fact that you show absolutely no compassion for a man you supposedly love, makes me question your intentions with these kind of posts. There have been several posts you have started with this kind of tone, most notably your Elvis/Beatles thread which blew up in your face. I swear you start these posts on purpose, just to get under everybody's skin. Perhaps you're a schill for this site, who knows.

Re: detroit disaster

Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:37 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:He got stoned because he liked being stoned.

I got no prob with this.

I once read he made his best dialogues on stage when he was stoned.
Perhaps he was stoned during over 90% of his shows...who cares..he was good anyway..

I still say the 74 shows aren`t bad...I do agree that the 76 tour shows till November are boring yes and bad due to his illness ..

Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:44 pm

okay I have been doing some checking and I think Ger (actually Rocca Barra) is right.
First thing I've done is re-reading the whole article from Stricly Elvis Dec 1974.

Then checking my CDs (formerly known as tapes). I did find I have a much shorter show in Detroit dated Oct 4th (I only have 11 minutes and many missing and incomplete songs).

Which could mean that probably the dates of these two are interchanged. I am relistening to that show right now. However hard evidence is inconclusive.

Elvis is saying he doesn't remember the words either at the end of Heratbreak hotel.
Verifiable songs: 9 (plus a guess of I got a woman and counting medleys as a single song).

I have to state that I myself do put more trust in an article that was written at the time of the actual shows by a fan then tapes surfacing 30 years later. The article of Rocca states that he is sorry to write about these two shows and stresses that it's only these two shows that were bad. Not others of the tour.

I have a show of Indianapolis on Oct 5th as afternoon show, but based on the review it probably should be the Evening show.

So therefore it does make sense that the show currently knows as Detroit 29 Sep could be in fact the Detroit 4th of October.

Detroit Sunday 29 September 1974 2:30 pm (verifiable songs only)
formerly known as 4 Oct 74.
Opening theme (incomplete)
See see rider (incomplete)
I got a woman (missing)
Amen (missing)
Love me (missing)
If you love me (ending only)
Love me tender (incomplete)
Hound dog
Introductions
Burton solo
Tutt solo (incomplete)
Bardwell solo (missing)
Glen solo/Lawdy miss Clawdy (false start)
Lawdy miss Clawdy
Guercio’s theme
All shook up
Teddy bear
Don’t be cruel
Heartbreak hotel
(incomplete show)

Detroit Friday 4 October 1974 8:30 pm (new form)
See see rider
I got a woman / Amen
Love me
Blue suede shoes
It’s midnight
Big boss man
Fever
If you love me
Love me tender “scarve turn blue”
Hound dog
Introductions
Burton solo
Tutt solo
Bardwell solo
solo Glenn hardin’ / Lawdy miss Clawdy
Guercio’s theme
All shook up
Teddy bear / Don’t be cruel
Heartbreak hotel
Why me, Lord? “my singer is in your hands”
Let me be there (fs) - Let me be there - Reprise
Hawaiian wedding song
Johnny B Goode
Steamroller blues
Funny how time slips away
Can’t help falling in love.

PS: Ger, especially for you:
Voice CAN be heard outside Vegas INside the Elvis show:
(at least 5 times)
College park Friday 27 September 1974 8:30 pm
College park Saturday 28 September 1974 8:30 pm
South Bend Monday 30 September 1974
Indianapolis Saturday 5 October 1974 (ES)
Uniondale (Long Island) Saturday 19 July 1975 Afternoon show

Keep rocking!

Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:06 pm

PS: the show formerly known as 29 Sep 74 Detroit, sure is a show in Detroit as Elvis can be heard saying before unny how time slips away:
I'd like to turn the houselights up and take a look at you in Detroit.

Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:26 pm

Ger is probably right indeed..
The formerly 29/9 known tape does not contain Ok, all right, you win..
This sounds being performed during Glenn D's solo..

So the "complete" Detroit tape is from October 4th..
Thankfully Elvis made up for this poor gig a week later. :?

Cheers, RJ

detroit disaster

Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:40 pm

... Joe, no matter what you think of me, Im defending Elvis in

this thread. Its clear you wanna push my views in another

direction. Im very much aware this drugs issue is hard to swallow

for many of you. And if I remember correctly, you once told us

about drugs related problems in your family. Im not out to put

Elvis down in any way. Im trying to understand why he did it...

Something, others here should try to. Instead of the on going

denial. Like, prescription drugs, written out by a bunch of medical

crooks [ doc feelgood, in Vegas, to name but one] , are less

harmful than street drugs?! Get real people! Were talking American

showbiz here! Elvis could get ANYTHING he wanted... over or under

the counter. And who ever said no, to Elvis?!

The drugs helped to put up great shows in the 2nd half of 76

[ dallas, birmingham], and whacked him a couple o months later

in Vegas. And by 77, they didnt really worked anymore.

... Explaining the highest peeks, and the lowest lows because he

was sick and depressed doesnt make sense to me.

... Elvis had junkfood and drugs brought in to his hospital room

on a daily basis. He knew what he was doing, and didnt want it

any other way. His choice.

...Right or wrong? I dont know? But I will be the last man on earth

to say he did wrong.

OK

Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:44 pm

OK so lets say that both "Detroit" tapes, incomplete edited one and more complete one, are identical show and not 29.09.74 bur 04.10.74. But this is not a proof that Elvis was singing some 30 minute show. I read such "reviews" about Elvis being on stage for barely 45 minutes in Tuscaloosa 76 etc and when CD was released, everyone can hear it is over 60 minutes show.

Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:01 pm

Stone or not. I give a damn. Cickoking put it right!! I have heard, examined and played for other Elvis fans about 700 Elvis shows since 1980. The response are the same. All the shows we have from sept/oct 74 tour are more entertaining and better than most of the shows we have from ex lackluster shows he gave in Vegas as early as last half of Vegas aug/sept 71, last half of aug/sept 72, all the jan/feb 73 shows, last half of Vegas aug/sept 73, boring june 75 tour, most of the shows in 1976/77. Elvis did quite often perform lackluster and uninspired shows during the 70s. Many shows from nearly every Vegas/Tahoe season/tour are too often lackluster performances. From the recordings we have the only season/tours i find nearly every show entertaining and spiritful are only from 69/70, November 71 tour, june 72 tour, Vegas aug/sept 74 sept/oct 74 tour, Vegas march/april 75, july 75 tour, Vegas desember 75 and dec 76 tour.

Kenneth

OK so you said

Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:04 pm

Barra: For the Detroit show, which was the first show I saw on the tour, Elvis sang 14 songs ( instead of the usual 23-25 ) and was only on stage 30 minutes.

- please show me any Sept.Oct 74 show where Elvis sung 23/25 songs!

It was always 17-22 songs for this tour. I do not count I Got A Woman / Amen as two of course. But I count Teddy Bear and Dont Be Cruel as 2 which is too much anyway. So no way 25 songs, Rocky :-). And no way USUALLY 23, it was 20 or less - USUALLY.

Now timing ... OK you have said 30 minutes show. So 9 minutes is this I Got A Woman s%%t. Plus 3 minutes of C.C.Rider. This is usual running time for these. 10-11 minutes is Intros and solos. You have 22-23 minutes filled, plus there are 12 songs remaining. Do you think they run under 1 minute each? Pls 3 tracks by vocal groups. No 30 minute show, Barra, sorry ;-)

Re: OK so you said

Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:56 pm

deadringer wrote:Now timing ... OK you have said 30 minutes show. So 9 minutes is this I Got A Woman s%%t. Plus 3 minutes of C.C.Rider. This is usual running time for these. 10-11 minutes is Intros and solos. You have 22-23 minutes filled, plus there are 12 songs remaining. Do you think they run under 1 minute each? Pls 3 tracks by vocal groups. No 30 minute show, Barra, sorry ;-)

30 minutes on stage cannot be true.
I do believe something was very wrong during the three opening shows of this tour..
Elvis reportedly had the flu.. I have to admit his voice sounds different during this tour, that's an indication he was sick allright.

To me the ultimate proof he was overmedicated are the weird monologues. :smt011
I have to admit some of these speeches are entertaining though.. sorry guys.

It's getting painful when E isn't able sing straight anymore.. (College Park) :oops:
When I first heard College Park I almost fell out of my chair.

One thing though, if Detroit was a complete disaster.. 30 minutes on stage etc.. why didn't the paper review mentioned anything about that?
The newspaper dude sat through the whole thing according to the review..
Why did some audience members loved the show?
Because Elvis was on stage? That's it? maybe true...

But all 17000 audience members would have felt ripped off after a 30 minute show right?

Cheers, RJ
Last edited by Robert on Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:08 am

About the stange language..
College Park, just before the first disk is fading out, after a plain awful "How Great Thou Art", you can hear Elvis saying to Bill Baize:

"I got a bigger hand on that than you had Bill, but I'm sorry..
I'm the star of this damn show!" :twisted:

That comment almost killed me!

Even this embarassing show has it's moments folks..

Cheers, RJ

Re: OK so you said

Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:17 am

Robert wrote:
deadringer wrote:Now timing ... OK you have said 30 minutes show. So 9 minutes is this I Got A Woman s%%t. Plus 3 minutes of C.C.Rider. This is usual running time for these. 10-11 minutes is Intros and solos. You have 22-23 minutes filled, plus there are 12 songs remaining. Do you think they run under 1 minute each? Pls 3 tracks by vocal groups. No 30 minute show, Barra, sorry ;-)

30 minutes on stage cannot be true.
I do believe something was very wrong during the three opening shows of this tour..
Elvis reportedly had the flu.. I have to admit his voice sounds different during this tour, that's an indication he was sick allright.

To me the ultimate proof he was overmedicated are the weird monologues. :smt011
I have to admit some of these speeches are entertaining though.. sorry guys.

It's getting painful when E isn't able sing straight anymore.. (College Park) :oops:
When I first heard College Park I almost fell out of my chair.

One thing though, if Detroit was a complete disaster.. 30 minutes on stage etc.. why didn't the paper review mentioned anything about that?
The newspaper dude sat through the whole thing according to the review..
Why did some audience members loved the show?
Because Elvis was on stage? That's it? maybe true...

But all 17000 audience members would have felt ripped off after a 30 minute show right?

Cheers, RJ

Detroit is known for it's great crowds, especially at concerts. If he would have performed only 30 minutes, they would have booed him off the stage, Elvis or no Elvis. As far as lacklustre goes, 102 temperature would do the trick.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:39 am

Most everyone has had their moments with their drug of choice, be it alcohol, pot, cocaine, pills, whatever. But the period of August-October 1974, where drug abuse is undeniably affecting Elvis Presley's ability to do his job, is not just showcasing a guy who "likes" to tie one on -- it is evidence of a man desperately unhappy with his life, and unable to figure how to fix what is troubling him.

The reviews of the time, both personal and professional, all bear at least one common trait -- an affirmation of Elvis' tremendous charisma. For most of his adult life, it enabled him to do many things, including shielding an out-of-control drug habit.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:46 am

Deadringer, I like your calculations. Going by your numbers it is obvious the show was longer than 30 minutes.

Elvis even said in the previous Vegas visit that he "could not get sick", because they would say he was high.

Of course it is because obvious after these shows that Elvis could not do afternoon shows. It makes sense. He was normally asleep at this time.
He should never have done them. Elvis was the star he could've set the times. Since he normally did 60-75 minute shows on average he could've did an early show at 5 pm and his second show at 9 pm.

The guy had algeries and got sinus infections and the flu like everyone else in the world, but he had the added pressure to go on stage even if he was sick, so he figured, that the medications would help him thru it.

But being on the tail end of sleeping pills, or just plain worn out doesn't too me, equal, "stoned". The word "stoned" is more associated with halucigenic type street drugs.

Being sick, as you know runs your body down....you get fatigued, and under this condition he would be handi-capped without any medication in him.

So does anyone concede that Elvis was actually ill, ie fever, flu, etc. at any time during any tour?

Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Most everyone has had their moments with their drug of choice, be it alcohol, pot, cocaine, pills, whatever. But the period of August-October 1974, where drug abuse is undeniably affecting Elvis Presley's ability to do his job, is not just showcasing a guy who "likes" to tie one on -- it is evidence of a man desperately unhappy with his life, and unable to figure how to fix what is troubling him.

The reviews of the time, both personal and professional, all bear at least one common trait -- an affirmation of Elvis' tremendous charisma. For most of his adult life, it enabled him to do many things, including shielding an out-of-control drug habit.

Beautifully and compassionately said Doc.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:56 am

I never heard Detroit, but Dayton wasn't really that bad. Far away from any "worst" show.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:02 am

ekenee wrote:The guy had algeries and got sinus infections and the flu like everyone else in the world, but he had the added pressure to go on stage even if he was sick, so he figured, that the medications would help him thru it.

Oh, please ...

ekenee wrote:The word "stoned" is more associated with halucigenic type street drugs.

No. "Stoned," originally a synonym for being drunk, became even more popular as a reference to smoking pot for the THC high. Additionally, some of Elvis' prescription pills were rated as powerful as illegal, street-type drugs like heroin. So the term is applicable here.

ekenee wrote:So does anyone concede that Elvis was actually ill, ie fever, flu, etc. at any time during any tour?

Here we go again.

Elvis was abusing prescription drugs to a point where his shows were an embarrassment to all involved.

You're trying to delude yourself with flimsy excuses, which is pretty sad, given that the facts of this era are very clear in the 32 years since they happened.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:40 am

>>>>>>>>>Elvis was abusing prescription drugs to a point where his shows were an embarrassment to all involved.

- you was there so you know this so well ? You are THE REAL ELVIS EXPERT.
Last edited by deadringer on Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:57 am

All I know is these type of threads are too common on this site. The man left such great a body of work behind and was the greatest entertainer, performer the world has known. Why can't the jist of more threads be about the many positives.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:15 am

deadringer wrote:>>>>>>>>>Elvis was abusing prescription drugs to a point where his shows were an embarrassment to all involved.

- you was there so you know this so well ? xxx you are THE REAL ELVIS EXPERT.

Say what you want about the Doc: when it comes to the point then I'll know whom I should believe - and it ain't you.

Also, I think there's no need to have been there to claim that some of his shows (or working seesions in the studio) were embarrassing to the ones who were involved.

What about the Sweet Inspiriations leaving the stage in Norfolk in 1975 during the introductions (at least 2 out of 3)? What about Joe Guercio crying his eyes out after the second concert at College Park? What about Glen D. Hardin leaving the band? What about the miserable STAX sessions in the summer of 1973?

I think there are a few more hints here and there that shows that not all were happy with the progression to say the least.

Joern