All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Love me tonight is a really under rated tune!

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:29 am

I have been an Elvis fan for 3 and a half years, and had never heard of this tune till today. What a stellar performance! He creates a real tender and romantic mood, and his singing? spot on! One of the most beautiful ballads of the 60s i have heard from our man!

BTW, I thought it was a cover of Tom Jone's Love me Tonight, but now i don't care, this is beautiful stuff

Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:41 am

Yes,it's beautiful,but i never liked it,i don't know why.
Maybe because it's too maudlin and conventional. :roll:

There are much stronger songs on 'The lost album' CD,like Witchcraft,
Long lonely highway,Please don't drag...,Devil in disguise,It hurts me,
Slowly but surely,Ask me and so on.
Last edited by Johanesson on Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:45 am

Pretty much everything by Don Robertson that Elvis did features committed performances with beautiful vocals by our man. All the way up to that final I Really Don't Want to Know.

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:37 pm

You´re right, Scott. And what a final!
I really don´t want to know is a country song performed in an almost bluesy way (hoarsy voice included). I wonder why elvis didn´t record any more Robertson material after that. The musical connection between them was close to perfect.

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:23 pm

How many Don Robertson songs did Elvis record?

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:39 pm

1956 i´m counting on you
1961 starting today
1961 i met her today
1961 there´s always me
1961 anything thats part of you
1962 they remind me too much of you
1963 What Now, What Next, Where To
1963 love me tonight
1970 i really don´t want to know

Are there more?

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:42 pm

Yes! A great song and a fantastic Elvis vocal.

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:20 pm

Wholeheartedly agree Scott - great song.

Just like all the Don Robertson numbers. Short but very pretty!!!

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:28 pm

Starting Today
I'm Falling In Love Tonight
Marguerita

3 more with Hal Blair
No more
I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here
I'm Yours

Re: Love me tonight is a really under rated tune!

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:46 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:I have been an Elvis fan for 3 and a half years, and had never heard of this tune till today. What a stellar performance! He creates a real tender and romantic mood, and his singing? spot on! One of the most beautiful ballads of the 60s i have heard from our man!

BTW, I thought it was a cover of Tom Jone's Love me Tonight, but now i don't care, this is beautiful stuff
Come on Scott! :? You've come a long way! I have been watching!! :)

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:47 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:One of the most beautiful ballads of the 60s i have heard from our man!

You need to listen to more of Elvis' sixties ballads.

Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:59 pm

I've heard PLENTY. I think its a warm and tender performance, and a beautiful vocal that is almost effortlessly controlled. The first time i heard it yesterday, i loved it. Top tune!

To JLGB: You have been watching?! I'd better be afraid :shock:

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:12 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:I've heard PLENTY ... Top tune!

Evidently, your version of "PLENTY" is everyone else's version of "FEW."

Yes, the vocal is lovely, and the band plays well, and the production is immaculate ...

but the song is a "C" at best in the Elvis ballads oeuvre.

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:18 pm

My version of plenty Doc is almost every 60's non soundtrack recording, except maybe about 20, and i've heard a good handful of soundtrack songs too.

Opinions are going to differ, but i still believe this is one of Elvis's most beautiful ballads

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:22 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:My version of plenty Doc is almost every 60's non soundtrack recording, except maybe about 20 ...

Give those 20 a good listen, for starters.

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:26 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:My version of plenty Doc is almost every 60's non soundtrack recording, except maybe about 20, and i've heard a good handful of soundtrack songs too.

Opinions are going to differ, but i still believe this is one of Elvis's most beautiful ballads

Scott -

Reading your comments made me feel quite envious !

Just imagine [in 2006] hearing something like Love Me or Anyplace Is Paradise for the very first time !

All those early songs are so much a part of my life, it's difficult to imagine how that must feel.

But a deleriously pleasurable experience, no doubt !

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:31 pm

Its brilliant to hear an Elvis song for the first time

I remember starting back as an Elvis fan in 2002, when my mum got the number 1 hits album. I borrowed it for a listen, and when i heard Heartbreak hotel, it was revolutionary to describe it with one word. I'd never heard anything like it, and never will i'm very sure of that. Listening to almost every track from then on was a wonderful experience. I'm sort of sad, because i played that album till i got sick of it, and listening to it now is nothing like it was the first time.

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:33 pm

jeanno wrote:1956 i´m counting on you
1961 starting today
1961 i met her today
1961 there´s always me
1963 love me tonight

Are there more?
I don't know. But if this is the list; They remind me too much of you is the best, IMO.

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:35 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:Its brilliant to hear an Elvis song for the first time

I remember starting back as an Elvis fan in 2002, when my mum got the number 1 hits album. I borrowed it for a listen, and when i heard Heartbreak hotel, it was revolutionary to describe it with one word. I'd never heard anything like it, and never will i'm very sure of that. Listening to almost every track from then on was a wonderful experience. I'm sort of sad, because i played that album till i got sick of it, and listening to it now is nothing like it was the first time.
I know that feeling. In the Ghetto will never sound as beautiful as the first time I heard it. That was the song that made me a fan about 3-3,5 years ago.

Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:44 am

I love the song: LOVE ME TONIGHT
Its one of my favorites, i like the ballads, Elvis' voice so pure & tender!
the list is very long:
THEY REMINED ME TOO MUCH OF YOU
ASK ME
THERES ALWAYS ME
GENTLY
JUST FOR OLD TIME SAKE
SOMETHING BLUE
IM YOURS
IT HURTS ME
NEVER ENDING...................HEY...IT IS NEVER ENDING (list) :lol:
ELVIS was not only the KING OF ROCKNROLL in my opinioun ELVIS was & he still also ONE OF THE GREATEST BALLADS performer!!!
LIOR

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:15 am

Denman wrote:
jeanno wrote:1956 i´m counting on you
1961 starting today
1961 i met her today
1961 there´s always me
1963 love me tonight

Are there more?
I don't know. But if this is the list; They remind me too much of you is the best, IMO.

I'd put There's Always Me and Anything That's Part of You ahead of that. Those two are two of my fave 60s performances though, irrespective of the writer.

Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:29 am

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:I've heard PLENTY. I think its a warm and tender performance, and a beautiful vocal that is almost effortlessly controlled. The first time i heard it yesterday, i loved it. Top tune!

To JLGB: You have been watching?! I'd better be afraid :shock:
No.

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:37 am

ColinB wrote:
Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:My version of plenty Doc is almost every 60's non soundtrack recording, except maybe about 20, and i've heard a good handful of soundtrack songs too.

Scott -

Reading your comments made me feel quite envious !

Just imagine [in 2006] hearing something like Love Me or Anyplace Is Paradise for the very first time !

All those early songs are so much a part of my life, it's difficult to imagine how that must feel.

But a deleriously pleasurable experience, no doubt !

DITTO

Scott have you got a copy of the Tunzi recording sessions book? If so what material are you yet to hear or watch.

I can remember hearing and watching new Elvis material for the first time when I was growing up (40 years old this month) - fantastic experience!!

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:23 pm

I have'nt got the book, way too expensive, over $100 Australian. I can't exactly remeber how many songs i've yet to listen to, but i'm really only interested in the studio material

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:00 pm

I just want to second the acclaim for this song---one of Elvis's most intimate, most sensitively rendered ballads, period.
If you go to Don Robertson's site (http://www.donrobertson.com/) and click on that song's sub-page you can see that it even non-Elvis fans adore it...