All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed May 31, 2006 1:30 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:Scatter, I listened to radio serials in the early 50s have you never heard of "Dick Barton Special Agent"? Even movies were made of his daring do.

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/radio/dickbarton.htm

A crude and outlandishly transparent rip-off of America's own Dick Tracy.
Shameful.........the Brits steal our serial radio heroes, our music, but keep the Royal Family. Blimey........ :lol:

"Ger: The Movie" is long overdue!

Who plays Ger??? Has to be Kramer from "Seinfeld"..........no one else could pull off the hair :lol: :wink:

http://press.xtvworld.com/article11751.html ANOTHER SERIAL :lol:

them damn bootlegs

Wed May 31, 2006 4:10 pm

... If he can be shrunk, to a little under 6 feet, and add a few

kilos in weight, then, Yes! Kramer is my choice! Love his hair! :D

... Wasnt this a topic on bootlegs?!

Wed May 31, 2006 7:03 pm

Yes, the bootleg scene has certainly changed since those 'glory days' of the late '70s. These days only the Madison CDs excite me. I can't stand those Memory label rip-offs. Flashy packaging but crappy sound. Who buys this junk?

Wed May 31, 2006 10:57 pm

Tits McGhee wrote:Yes, the bootleg scene has certainly changed since those 'glory days' of the late '70s. These days only the Madison CDs excite me. I can't stand those Memory label rip-offs. Flashy packaging but crappy sound. Who buys this junk?

I think the fan scene changed a lot. The bootleggers still want to deliver a good job (at least the serious ones), but they just can't do it anymore.
The day you release a bootleg, you'll find it somewhere on the internet to download for free. "Fans" are trading and selling CDR copies of bootlegs.
Nowadays a fan wants to have everything, in superb quality, with great packaging and almost for free. Otherwise they'll go for a CDR.
If you consider that Pittsburgh sold 17.000 and today a good bootlegs sells 700-1000, you'll understand why nothing great can be released.

So even if you don't like the sound quality of the Memorie CDs, if there's something on it you don't already have .... be happy to have it now.
You can't expect from a bootlegger to invest a lot of money in remastering when most of the copies sold will be CDRs.

PS don't take this personal Tits, I wasn't talking to you :wink:

Wed May 31, 2006 11:04 pm

Some bootleggers make money by producing counterfeits. Here is one of them.

This is the original 10" record (no sleeve was made)

and here's the counterfeit

Find the differences yourself :smt110

Wed May 31, 2006 11:10 pm

At 45 rpm ? how many songs are one it ? any outtakes or just masters ?

Wed May 31, 2006 11:35 pm

memphisflash wrote:At 45 rpm ? how many songs are one it ? any outtakes or just masters ?

There are no alternate takes or complete songs on it.
It's a promotion record for Blue Hawaii that could be played in cinemas.
You'll hear an announcer plus segments of No More, Blue Hawaii, Moonlight Swim and Almost Always True.
At the end the announcer says: Coming soon in this cinema (in German).

It's a one sided records by the way.

Wed May 31, 2006 11:45 pm

KempoDick wrote:
memphisflash wrote:At 45 rpm ? how many songs are one it ? any outtakes or just masters ?

You'll hear an announcer plus segments of No More, Blue Hawaii, Moonlight Swim and Almost Always True.

cool ! bootleg or not, i'd like to have one 8)

Wed May 31, 2006 11:52 pm

memphisflash wrote:
KempoDick wrote:

cool ! bootleg or not, i'd like to have one 8)

Could be expensive 8)
As I remember well only 100 copies were made of the bootleg, must have been in the early 80s.
I've only once seen a copy for sale, that was about 10 years ago and the price was around 175 euros.
Forget about the original record. :(

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:11 pm

I have to jump in here on the different sources of Pittsburg 31 dec 1976.

This second source has the COMPLETE show (okay missing a little bit of Polk salad that has been edited in from another recording).
For the best balanced sound and best quality, this second source is THE BEST!
The person who recorded this imho deserves GREAT credit for recording this show the way he did.

Also this recording DOES have the entire Elvis has left the building announcement.
PLUS an extra 23 seconds of further announcements about souvenirs.
"We'd like to remind you that for a short while .. Elvis super souvenir concession stand will be open.
If you didn't get your souvenir of your evening with Elvis please be sure to do so before you leave.
Thank you for coming.
Be careful driving home.
Goodnight.

This is the only source that is totally complete and has NO weird hamburger cooking sounds in it.

The quality IS BETTER then the Auld lang syne 2cd.
Only slightly noisier then the FTD, but then again the sound has been untempered with and is the raw original recording.

Just my 2 cents on this show.

Young'un Sound wrote:Doc,

I take it the 2nd audience source also does not have the "EHLTB" announcement on it either. Isn't that funny. So many pictures, videos (6 sources known at last count!!!), and multiple audio documents of this show, and yet the show was so long, we still have no record of the last seconds!

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:14 pm

KempoDick wrote:Some bootleggers make money by producing counterfeits. Here is one of them.

This is the original 10" record (no sleeve was made)

and here's the counterfeit

Find the differences yourself :smt110

This was also recently released on a CD

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:19 pm

merry77 wrote:I have to jump in here on the different sources of Pittsburg 31 dec 1976.

I won't comment on the second source... :wink:

But by the way, don't make it that the FTD is that bad. Despite those few "crackin' good" moments (and that's all they are), from what I understand, it's still the best source ever used (other ones are once removed generationally), although they may have waited to too long to do the remastering...

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:28 pm

I'm not saying the FTD is bad.
You're right that other sources are a 1st generation copy.
I have a 1st generation copy of that 2nd source. (I'm not going to reveal who made the master. That's up to the source itself)
And I do believe it is better sound wise (Elvis voice and instrumentals and background singers is better balanced) then the FTD source. If FTD had used the master tape of that source I am willing to bet on it that the quality of the FTD would have been even better.

For that reason I've never bought the ftd.

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
merry77 wrote:I have to jump in here on the different sources of Pittsburg 31 dec 1976.

I won't comment on the second source... :wink:

But by the way, don't make it that the FTD is that bad. Despite those few "crackin' good" moments (and that's all they are), from what I understand, it's still the best source ever used (other ones are once removed generationally), although they may have waited to too long to do the remastering...

31-12-76

Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:43 pm

Basically, the source that FTD used is very good sounding. It is the same source as used for vinyl release and then ROCKING NEW YEARS EVE CD and AULD LANG SYNE 2 CD set. AULD LANG SYNE sound is pretty bad - due to denoising and other manipulations, actually old vinyl is sounding better than this.

FTD - unfortunately there are stupid mastering errors in several places.

2nd source that merry 77 mentioned - independent tape, the sound is excellent, possible say better than the 1st source (better fidelity), in any case different with audience not so prominent in places. Btw it was released on bootleg CD (real CD) too - this rip off bootlegger used your own CDR, merry 77...

them damn bootlegs

Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:16 pm

... The Auld Lang Syne double, on Live Archives was mastered

directly from a mint set of unplayed Test Pressings, from the

Vic Colonna collection. My boss, handed these over to the

guys, behind this project. Even was nice enough, to throw in

the cover design. He cant remember, ever having heard the

final result. And no copy is available, in his library...

... Mr Flash, is you still on holiday? Im sure, some here like

to see the photos. Especially the one of Ernst and Peter

Guralnick, posing in the room, that once was the NY RCA

Recording Studio! It would be ever so nice, if you can put

them up here...!

Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:47 pm

This second source has the COMPLETE show (okay missing a little bit of Polk salad that has been edited in from another recording).
For the best balanced sound and best quality, this second source is THE BEST!
The person who recorded this imho deserves GREAT credit for recording this show the way he did.

Also this recording DOES have the entire Elvis has left the building announcement.
PLUS an extra 23 seconds of further announcements about souvenirs.
"We'd like to remind you that for a short while .. Elvis super souvenir concession stand will be open.
If you didn't get your souvenir of your evening with Elvis please be sure to do so before you leave.
Thank you for coming.
Be careful driving home.
Goodnight.

This is the only source that is totally complete and has NO weird hamburger cooking sounds in it.

The quality IS BETTER then the Auld lang syne 2cd.
Only slightly noisier then the FTD, but then again the sound has been untempered with and is the raw original recording.

Just my 2 cents on this show.

Young'un Sound wrote:Doc,

I take it the 2nd audience source also does not have the "EHLTB" announcement on it either. Isn't that funny. So many pictures, videos (6 sources known at last count!!!), and multiple audio documents of this show, and yet the show was so long, we still have no record of the last seconds!

I'm glad you jumped in here and confirmed this... I didn't want to speak out of turn or step on anyones foot... but yea I can also concur with what Merry77 has said...

...and it most definalty has the end announcements.

I think this is why I was so upset with the "New Years Eve" FTD, because I expected it to be at least this good or better... it's not.

JEFF d
EP fan

Re: them damn bootlegs

Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:02 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Mr Flash, is you still on holiday? Im sure, some here like

to see the photos. Especially the one of Ernst and Peter

Guralnick, posing in the room, that once was the NY RCA

Recording Studio! It would be ever so nice, if you can put

them up here...!

I'm back, tanned 'n all ... and here they are ...
Bert & Ernie posing at the once entrance to the RCA recording Studio [1990's], Ernst & Peter Guralnick touching the actual wooden floor of were the Hound Dog session took place...
Dick Baxter [no relation to Fort Baxter] memorizes ... and the session reel containing outtakes from the 60's [released nowadays]
Roger going through the tapevaults in Indianapolis]
©® Ger Rijff 1989

Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:19 pm

Thanks for sharing the pictures are there any more?

Jess

Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:38 pm

Jeff d, Merijn you are 100% correct! sad that FTD wasn't the best and quite annoying you need to actually HEAR the different sources to make up your own mind.Whilst i agree this unrevealed 2nd source is more complete don't you just love the ORIGINAL 'Auld Lang Syne' Package and audience coimments like 'Elvis your the best in the world' sadly ommited before the FTD version of Are You Lonesome Tonight.Yet i do give FTD credit for making Can't Help Falling in Live complete on that project! Recently i wached the recent bootleg dvd release featuring excerpts from 1.7.74,19.8.74,18.8.75 o/s,19.8.75 d/s,31.12.76+18.6.77 footage.Pittsburg was the best quality of the 6, but it was only 40 minutes long and quite incomplete.

Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:51 pm

jess wade wrote:Thanks for sharing the pictures are there any more?

Jess

Yes there is more, it can be found on this site too.

Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:52 pm

memphisflash wrote:
Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:
Roger going through the tapevaults in Indianapolis]

This is NOT what I wrote ?! Is this site cencored ??? Bloody hell, I can't believe it !! :shock:

Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:59 pm

memphisflash wrote:This is NOT what I wrote ?! Is this site cencored ??? Bloody hell, I can't believe it !! :shock:

Yes it is! :evil:

them damn bootlegs

Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:09 pm

... Youre right, Flash. But you didnt use my text either, in the

first place. I had Willem change your "a little too funny caption",

It might have suggested something, that is not. Sorry, but this

topic is my responsibility. Nuff said. Thanks for posting the pix,

Flash. And cut your holidays, a little shorter, next time :D !

Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:12 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Youre right, Flash. But you didnt use my text either, in the

first place. I had Willem change your "a little too funny caption",

It might have suggested something, that is not. Sorry, but this

topic is my responsibility. Nuff said. Thanks for posting the pix,

Flash. And cut your holidays, a little shorter, next time :D !

After this, I'm going on a permanent vacation !

them damn bootlegs

Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:23 pm

... Christ, Flash, dont over react! You know my "bad" reputation,

with certain people. You dont want to make it worse, now do you?!

Im going to watch football, on tv. Bye!