All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat May 27, 2006 5:24 am

So glad to still see this thread on the front page.

Ger, count me in on wanting to hear stories about Marion.

RE: PITTSBURG SHOW
Greg, if you are wanting "all" the Pittsburg items, the original vinyl 2lp set first came out with the cover having the flag border. A few years later it was repressed with the cover having the flags in a white border (as I believe is the only picture so far posted in this thread.) Having both pressings, the LP's are the same, and come from the same producer. Strangely, this information was left out of the essential "Jailhouse Rock" book by Lee Cotton. (What is HE up to now, I wonder?) Lee pictures the flags with the border picture in his book as the first and only pressing, but I am sure which one I picked up first. I played it so much, I was wearing it out, and bought another copy 2 years later which had the flag border cover. Now how's that for some nearly useless information to clutter up the old noggin'?

Anyway, The color pictures included on the gatefold cover seemed revolutionary for the time, as coming from the same show. I am so glad new producers like Madison are carrying on the tradition. However, the Pittsburg LP was the first live boot (or legit LP) I ever saw that featured so many wonderfully illustraded pics from the show featured on the record.

Does anyone have an answer to the Doc's question regarding a correction on the FTD CD? I never picked one hoping this would get fixed. Anyone???

Also, does the FTD have the "Elvis has left the Building" announcement? Ed Hill told me he had the original 2LP as well, and wanted it because he claims to have made the announcement for Al that night. Ed was upset the LP fades before the end, so he still had no way to prove it.

I also understand a second different "audience" audio source also circulates, although I don't have a copy, and therefore can't comment on it.

C'mon. We all have stories about getting our collections started. When I found out what the internet had to offer, I looked for a site that dealt with the unissued and collectable Presley. This site was the place, and that was back when the sites biggest calling card (and now somewhat overlooked) was the great database of boot titles that seemed like the CD version of the "Jailhouse Rock" book I wished would come out.

Lets face it, these LP's/CD's and whatever we play tommorow is why we found/came/inducted to this site in the first place. We care about the music above everything else, and we want every scrap we can get our hands on that is worthwhile. If you don't feel that way, and you frequent here at all, you must be in denial.

Sat May 27, 2006 7:29 am

Young'un Sound wrote:... the original vinyl 2lp set first came out with the cover having the flag border. A few years later it was repressed with the cover having the flags in a white border (as I believe is the only picture so far posted in this thread.)

My 1977 copy has a blue border, with the flags next to that. The inside of the fold out has a white border, then the flags around the perimeter.

Young'un Sound wrote:Also, does the FTD have the "Elvis has left the Building" announcement?

IIRC, it does not. Anyone confirm?

Young'un Sound wrote:I also understand a second different "audience" audio source also circulates, although I don't have a copy, and therefore can't comment on it.

It's very good quality, and captures virtually the entire show. With the plethora of the other version out there, it's not likely to circulate or be pressed into a fan CD.

DJC

them damn bootlegs

Sat May 27, 2006 8:25 am

... Just for the record :D , the by me mentioned new- possible- book

on boots, is both about vinyl, and cd! Sorry, if you misunderstood me,

Gregory. Im not at all surprised, cover variations float around, on

the NYE 76 album. Up on release, in early 1977, it sold better than

previous Vic Colonna titles. After August 77, it skyrocketed in sales!

... It was re-pressed numerous times, and ended up, around 17000

in sales. No doubt, the biggest selling boot, ever!

Sat May 27, 2006 8:38 am

Doc,

Thank you for your reply, and information.

It appears you also have a 1977 first pressing of RWENYE as well. If you will check Rob's post on page 2 of this thread you can see a color shot of what I assume is the second pressing with the flags in a white border against the blue. It is possible both covers were manufactured at the same time, as the vinyl is EXACTLY the same down to the last detail (pressing, labels or sound quality), and there is no color loss or photographic loss other than the white border around the flag.

I didn't pick it up for the cover variation, I just happened to notice it when I bought my 2nd copy. I had no choice, in the late 70's I played the sh*t out of that LP. Call it a form of mourning.

Cotten's Jailhouse Rock book only mentions the one pressing, and he pictures the white border version in his book (from 1983) which he says is from 1977. Perhaps he was also on his second copy of the LP too, it is arguably his favorite live concert boot according to the book. I have seen two copies of the white border LP post 1978, but never have seen another blue and flag "only" copy since.

I take it the 2nd audience source also does not have the "EHLTB" announcement on it either. Isn't that funny. So many pictures, videos (6 sources known at last count!!!), and multiple audio documents of this show, and yet the show was so long, we still have no record of the last seconds!
Last edited by Young'un Sound on Sat May 27, 2006 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat May 27, 2006 8:42 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:... the fact that this stuff was illegal was part of what made it so "sexy" ...

That`s true..

Another point was that it was easier these day to have all released stuff.
I was 17 and had all Elvis LP`s and there were - besides The Legendary Performer Volumes- just repetitions (Greatest Hits etc) to come.
The release of A Golden Celebration marked a change in trend I think.
The first time we had Elvis live in the 50`s ..I was blown away...!!!
But what had we before..? Next to nothing..always waiting for a album with new stuff..so buying boot vinyls was like entering paradise.
Man I was so happy when I had new songs like The Lady loves me, Dominic Oh Happy Day etc...instaed of Elvis Greatest Hits Vol.324563.
Nowadays it`s different ....we have FTD we had Essential Elvis.we have deluxe editions of movies, shows..even on DVD.
The worth of imports has declined compared to these days...
Anyway I still have 60of these gems and I am very proud of them..the cover art alone makes them worthwhile and still some tracks are only availible on boot vinyls (see Jailhouse Rock sessions).

Sat May 27, 2006 10:08 am

I thought at the begining you could not play the bootlegs too loud or the police would take you away!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Really crossed my mind!

Sat May 27, 2006 12:03 pm

I have a real question mark in my collection. Some 30 years ago (by then living on some pocketmoney on weekly basis from my mom/dad) i saved every Guilder (Woow i miss you) to spend on Elvis. I was actually aware of bootleg's but they were high priced then, and not easy to get your hands on. So i was walking in to some Elvis collector. He asked if i was looking for anything, i was. So finally i made a deal of a special version of The Hillbilly Cat 1954-1974. Special in any way because it had no sleeve and the label had no mentioning of any kind regarding the album. So after coming home and listening to it , it had all the songs : the Ed Sullivan shows and the 70's songs etc. But i tell you what's on the label. It's a soft yellow label, with (capital's) SPINDIZZIE by Bruce Dillon, near the hole in the middle left side is: SD 841 and on the right side side 3 (19:35) on the lower part are listed 5 song titles, underneath that marks: all selections by Bruce Dillon, on the other side is the same info except side 4 (21:27) and other song titles. IS there anyone known with this lp (in the mentioned version)? The label is an original placed one, no faked one. Do i have a real collectable here.

Sat May 27, 2006 12:09 pm

Who knows????

8)

them damn bootlegs

Sat May 27, 2006 6:52 pm

....... Part 5 : RUMBLE IN THE HILTON!

wondering if hes the guy, selling them bootlegs? Word, must have

been going around, in the bar...

... Vic, invites all, and were off to his Hotel room. Bizniz is good!

In less then half a hour, he sells more Dorseys and Waist Up, then

during his film & video show, earlier that evening. For those who

had missed the rare footage, they are invited to find a place on

the bed, or floor, and its showtime again! He clicks on the video,

and ... Whhoow!... Unseen 68 perfomances! ... In brilliant sound,

and picture quality!!!

... "Gerry, this one is for you, buddy...!"

Not knowing what to exspect, I eagle eye the tv screen.

... O my god! Its Elvis his 2nd Berle appearance... straight into

"You Aint Nothin But A Hound Dog!"

... Twenty years, after it was first shown on tv, we, the lucky

ones, witness the incredible power of his performance, that

shocked many Americans, that night, back in 56!

... And it hasnt lost any of its impact, 2 decades later, in a

Holiday Inn hotel room in Vegas!...

..... to be continued tonight...

Sat May 27, 2006 7:16 pm

Great! Thanks Mr. Tallhair!!! :smt023

them damn bootlegs

Sat May 27, 2006 8:10 pm

__________________ RUMBLE ____________

... "One more time, please, Vic?!"

While he rewinds, I rush to my room, grab my super 8mm

camera, and rush back! "Okay, let it roll, Vic..."!

...I focus in on the tv screen, and film the mother!

Its early in the morning, when, totally exhausted, we make

it back to our own room. What a great day... and night!

... On the night, of the 6th, Vic joins up with us for the show.

While standing in line, in the Hilton lobby, Vic runs to the

front of the line, loudlly cursing : " #*+!!^ ! Lichter, you son

of a bitch! Out of the line, Lichter and his lady - dressed in

unisex denim outfits - run for their lives! Vic, only a few feet

behind them! This is fun! :lol:

...After a short while, Vic joins up in line again. "The fokker

owns me a lot of money, you know...! " "Did he pay you ?"

I ask. "Enough, to get good seats, for tonights show..." Is his

reply.

... Inside the Showroom, Vic tips the waiter a hundred bucks...

It gets us a table, halfway from the stage.

When my lady and I want to sit down, Vic runs after the waiter,

ready to seriously kick the guys ass!

... "You seat me and my friends, halfway this room, when I tip

you one frikkin hundred!?" Vic is ready to explode! :twisted:

Stopped by some strong Hilton safety people, Vic makes it

back to our table. It takes quite a few stiff drinks, before hes

calmed down... "why the fok is Elvis playing this rathole, he

mutters.

... The show is a good one. And thats quite a relief, after the

one, from the 5th...

.... to be continued... 8)

Re: THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Sat May 27, 2006 9:57 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Mike C. thanks again for mentioning that book on bootlegs which you've mentioned before. It's on my "to get" list. Here's the cover of the original 1995 version. There is now a 2004 update, with a new subtitle:

ImageImage

Bootleg: The Secret History of the Other Recording Industry aka
Bootleg: The Rise and Fall of the Secret Recording Indusry
New York: St. Martin's Press, June 1995 1st ed. (hb)
Description: 442 p., 23.5 cm. with B/W photos of many bootleg albums & CD's.

Notes: A detailed history of the popular music bootleg recording industry, from the first bootleg Dylan album (Great White Wonder) in 1969 until July 1994. Contains many interviews of insiders in the industry, including many who produced Dylan boots. Chronicles the evolution of international laws targeting the illicit trade, and reviews the content and importance of many boots of artists such as Dylan, the Beatles, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Springsteen, and many others. Includes a glossary, Heylin's list of the top 100 boots for 60 different artists, a bibliography, notes, and index. Essential for anyone who wants to find out about this underground industry.

This book was first published in the UK as The Great White Wonders: A History of Rock Bootlegs (image on the left), where it won the Record Collector award for Best Book of the Year.

Subjects: Bootleg recording industry

ISBN: 0-312-13031-7; HB $29.95 US, $39.95 Canada

Review: David Fricke, of Rolling Stone magazine: "...highly entertaining" Peter Doggett of Record Collector magazine: "...a fresh perspective" and "...it's a damn good read." Hot Wacks: "...if you're interested in bootlegs, you'll enjoy this book."

Thanks Greg. Its an awsome book and I am planning on getting the revised version. I think the revision deals with the rise of Cdrs and online trading.

Sat May 27, 2006 10:00 pm

mr. Tallhair, your stories doesn't belong in this forum ... they are to good, you should have a daily column !! Willem !!! Give this guy his own spot !!

Re: them damn bootlegs

Sat May 27, 2006 10:07 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:
... A question, to you, guys. On the topic "From Sunset Blvd..."

an Aussie, by the name of Ray, mentioned the FTD release, of

The Pittsburgh NYE 76, is less in quality, compared to the

old boots. I dont know. I sold the double vinyl - original-, and

Mac cd [ in fold out cardboard sleeve ] , ages ago.

According to Ray, all labels involved, used the same source...!?

Any thoughts on this?

The original, was a Vic Colonna product, released circa march 77.

I doubt, later releases used his cassette tape, for mastering ?!

Far as I know, the Mac cd was made from a mint vinyl copy.

I have the Auld Lang Syne Cd release from the 1990s and its is better sounding than the FTD release, which is porbably a mastering error as DJC noted. However, the FTD is complete on Can't Help Falling in Love, while the import CD is not. It is alleged that that both releases derive from the John Herman tape - indeed, the same comments are on each release from the fans.

If you want the best sounding version of the show, get the Auld Lang Syne two disc set. Funny thing is that its thanks the "Glendale Ghost" on the back, since he made it happen the first time!!

Sun May 28, 2006 1:24 pm

Mike, don't forget that although Can't Help Faling In Love is complete on the FTD, the FTD has parts missing on Are You Lonesome Tonight (some pre-song dialogue removed) and there is also dialogue removed from the end of I Got A Woman. Strange to have a 'complete' FTD with dialogue removed :shock:

Of course those fans that would not get there hands on bootlegs are doing themselves an injustice as the boot release of the New Years Eve show does NOT have this 'mastering error' (sound is similar to 'sizzling sausages on a frying pan').....unless of course the person doing this recording was cooking sausages at the same time he was recording Elvis with his tape recorder :lol: :shock: :roll:

Re: THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Sun May 28, 2006 4:29 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:The worst vinyl boot I ever bought, must have been "Live In Atlanta".

The sound was recorded from super 8mm films. One could actually

hear the KRRRRR [ noice :lol: ] from the filmprojector, recorded

onto a cassette deck!

The blanc cardboard sleeve, came with 2 red colored stiickers,

the customer had to apply himself! One was a publicity shot from

Aloha :roll: Those were the days!

Sun May 28, 2006 4:41 pm

A while ago, somebody was talking about those early bootlegs of which only a few exist. Here are 4 of them.
They are all 10" records.

The Janis & Elvis album was also released with a red background with SUN labels. (Doesn't look too good, to be honest)

Sun May 28, 2006 8:47 pm

memphisflash wrote:mr. Tallhair, your stories doesn't belong in this forum ... they are to good, you should have a daily column !! Willem !!! Give this guy his own spot !!

Yes, looks like it.
I will go this week to Ger with a scanner (when I have some spare time), so I'm sure he can add some great pics too :D

Mon May 29, 2006 1:55 am

Ray wrote:Mike, don't forget that although Can't Help Faling In Love is complete on the FTD, the FTD has parts missing on Are You Lonesome Tonight (some pre-song dialogue removed) and there is also dialogue removed from the end of I Got A Woman. Strange to have a 'complete' FTD with dialogue removed :shock:

Of course those fans that would not get there hands on bootlegs are doing themselves an injustice as the boot release of the New Years Eve show does NOT have this 'mastering error' (sound is similar to 'sizzling sausages on a frying pan').....unless of course the person doing this recording was cooking sausages at the same time he was recording Elvis with his tape recorder :lol: :shock: :roll:

Perhaps that was Lamar preparing a snack too close to the tape recorder.

Mon May 29, 2006 2:04 am

Scatter wrote:
Ray wrote:Mike, don't forget that although Can't Help Faling In Love is complete on the FTD, the FTD has parts missing on Are You Lonesome Tonight (some pre-song dialogue removed) and there is also dialogue removed from the end of I Got A Woman. Strange to have a 'complete' FTD with dialogue removed :shock:

Perhaps that was Lamar preparing a snack too close to the tape recorder.

:lol: :lol:

Mon May 29, 2006 10:18 pm

For all vinyl-lovers another rare 10" boot.

Mon May 29, 2006 11:35 pm

Nice boots - am talking about the Sweets here!! :-)

Tue May 30, 2006 12:13 am

Just an update on my earlier post about the maker of Elvis Greatest S**t LP. Richard left the bootleg world beyond in the late 1980s as CDs took hold and went to work legimtaely for a music label.

them damn bootlegs

Wed May 31, 2006 11:37 am

__________ And Now The End Is Near... _____________

... After Vegas, Vic and I met up, at least another 3 times,

at his house in Glendale, California. The last time, would

have been in the summer of 1980...

Already, rumours had spread, RCA and the FBI, were

closing in on him, and his mates... Things were getting

very tense, at the Colonna house. For nights he would

be on the phone, non stop.

... The happy go lucky days were coming to an end.

In 81, not so long after his final release - The Million

Dollar Quartet - the FBI struck!

... All involved, with bootlegging got arrested.

It was the end of an Era.

Meanwhile, in Europe, my boss, and some friends

were having a beer, while listening to outtakes of

the title song Loving You. Fast and slow...

... A new Era, was just to begin...

Wed May 31, 2006 11:49 am

This is getting to be like one of those radio serials from the thirties.....

"Tune in next week when Ger will say..........."

" The FBI then dragged Vic outside his Glendale pad and began beating him about the head and neck with broken shards of the LP "Our Memories Of Elvis".

Hey Ger...........where do I send the cereal boxtops for my secret decoder ring??? :lol: