All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:15 pm

Long Legged Girl was just too short like her dress I guess. :)

Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:30 pm

Xaykev wrote:I am tired of everybody say that Elvis should never recorded Old McDonald.....

Of course its not a classical song of his, but when I one day will be a father I will love to play the song for my children.


Playing it for the kids is wonderful. It's when you're in a room full of adults and that song comes on when things get a little dicey. :wink:

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:11 pm

Without purposely replicating the other suggestions, the following movie songs are good, too (my apologies if there are some I've listed that were previously mentioned):

Rock A Hula Baby (Blue Hawaii)
Can't Help Falling In Love (Blue Hawaii)
Return to Sender (Girls, Girls, Girls)
Kissin' Cousins
Tender Feeling (Kissin Cousins)
Spinout
Follow That Dream
I'm Falling In Love Tonight (It Happened at the World's Fair)
They Remind Me Too Much Of You (It Happened At the World's Fair)
Once Is Enough (Kissin Cousins)
Relax (It Happened At the World's Fair)
Frankie And Johnny
I'll Be Back (Spinout)
Double Trouble
Stay Away (Stay Away Joe)
All That I Am (Spinout)
What'd I Say (Viva Las Vegas)

The double cd Command Performances, which is from the mid-90s and was linked to contains a number of the above, as well as quite a few of the suggestions that have already been made.

Marco, you mentioned that "You Don't Know Me' was cut from Clambake. I recall, though, the song being in the movie - in a scene toward the latter half of the film where the song plays in the background (i.e, in Elvis/Scott Hayward's head) as he forlornly looks over his speedboat while thinking about Shelly Fabares.

I could be wrong, though.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:53 pm

Spinout wrote:cut from Clambake. I recall, though, the song being in the movie - in a scene toward the latter half of the film where the song plays in the background (i.e, in Elvis/Scott Hayward's head) as he forlornly looks over his speedboat while thinking about Shelly Fabares.

I could be wrong, though.


No, you're correct. I was thinking How Can You Lose What You Never Had which was cut.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:03 am

Xaykev wrote:Physical ill my ass.


You really should see someone about that.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:11 am

Xaykev wrote:Physical ill my ass....

Of course he would liked to record songs that could bring him back at the top instead of a song like Old MacDonald, but I still don't think it would have bothered him to record that song


It`s a matter how you bring up this song...Sinatra had real good version.....JMO..

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:58 am

Xaykev wrote:Physical ill my ass....



Elvis said exactly that when interviewed in 1972 in reference to the bad films and songs.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:14 am

I think the Spinout sessions are way underrated. The ballads are throwaways and "Smorgasboard" should have been left on the cutting room floor but is really the only time that Elvis addressed the rock and roll that was coming out of LA at that time. Elvis sings with gusto and the band plays with flair and speed. The title track is majorly underrated as is the crash and burn rocker "Stop, Look and Listen" that growl on the transition is worth the listen in and of itself. That the song stops dime only increases its impact. "I'll Be Back" a very fine pop blues in the tradition of "Mess of Blues" and Pomus and Shuman's "Never Say Yes" are also worth having as is "Adam and Evil" although that song is more satiric in intent.

I'm glad TJ pointed out "In My Way". It's brevity has kept this song from getting its due.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:16 am

TJ wrote:
Xaykev wrote:Physical ill my ass....



Elvis said exactly that when interviewed in 1972 in reference to the bad films and songs.


Except for the "ass" bit, that is! :wink:

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:16 am

TJ -
You're right. That's where I got my info from. He makes his feelings very clear in the interview that is now featured on the All That I Am CD.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:27 am

Oh yeah, here's my list, sorry about repeating some songs already mentioned...

Starting in '69 and going backwards:

Change Of Habit
Let Us Pray
Rubberneckin'
Almost
Clean Up Your Own Backyard
Charro
A Little Less Conversation
Edge Of Reality
All I Needed Was The Rain
Let Yourself Go
Have Can You Lose What You Never Had
I'll Take Love
City By Night
Stop, Look And Listen
Adam And Evil
Sand Castles
Hard Luck
Hey Little Girl
So Close Yet So Far
Animal Instinct
Poison Ivy League
Hard Knocks
Tender Feeling
I Need Somebody To Lean On
You're The Boss
Viva Las Vegas
Marguerita
Bossa Nova Baby
Relax
They Remind Me Too Much Of You
Because Of Love
Return To Sender
Girls Girls Girls
King Of The Whole Wide World
Follow That Dream
Can't Help Falling In Love
Blue Hawaii
In My Way
Wild In The Country
Flaming Star
Pocketful Of Rainbows
Shopping Around

Combining songs from the different, excellent lists on this thread would make a much better movie compilation CD than "Command Performance", which I thought was a rather poor effort!

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:39 pm

likethebike wrote:I think the Spinout sessions are way underrated. The ballads are throwaways and "Smorgasboard" should have been left on the cutting room floor but is really the only time that Elvis addressed the rock and roll that was coming out of LA at that time. Elvis sings with gusto and the band plays with flair and speed. The title track is majorly underrated as is the crash and burn rocker "Stop, Look and Listen" that growl on the transition is worth the listen in and of itself. That the song stops dime only increases its impact. "I'll Be Back" a very fine pop blues in the tradition of "Mess of Blues" and Pomus and Shuman's "Never Say Yes" are also worth having as is "Adam and Evil" although that song is more satiric in intent.


I basically agree with you here Bike, except that I like the Spinout ballads. All That I Am is an attempt at something different, and Am I Ready, while trite lyrically, is melodically pretty, and beautifully sung by Elvis. I'm very fond of Adam and Evil,it's sort of a combination of Hard Headed Woman (lyrically) and Devil In Disguise (musically). I agree that the title song is very underrated. The only truely rinky-dink tunes from this soundtrack are Smorgasborg and Beach shack.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:26 pm

I've managed to get hold of a lot of the tracks mentioned so far. I put them on a compilation and listened to it today. It made my journey to work quite fun.

Thanks all. 8)

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:46 pm

Oh my! All soundtracks are good now!! :shock: :roll: :lol:

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:53 pm

Pete Dube wrote:
likethebike wrote:I think the Spinout sessions are way underrated. The ballads are throwaways and "Smorgasboard" should have been left on the cutting room floor but is really the only time that Elvis addressed the rock and roll that was coming out of LA at that time. Elvis sings with gusto and the band plays with flair and speed. The title track is majorly underrated as is the crash and burn rocker "Stop, Look and Listen" that growl on the transition is worth the listen in and of itself. That the song stops dime only increases its impact. "I'll Be Back" a very fine pop blues in the tradition of "Mess of Blues" and Pomus and Shuman's "Never Say Yes" are also worth having as is "Adam and Evil" although that song is more satiric in intent.


I basically agree with you here Bike, except that I like the Spinout ballads. All That I Am is an attempt at something different, and Am I Ready, while trite lyrically, is melodically pretty, and beautifully sung by Elvis. I'm very fond of Adam and Evil,it's sort of a combination of Hard Headed Woman (lyrically) and Devil In Disguise (musically). I agree that the title song is very underrated. The only truely rinky-dink tunes from this soundtrack are Smorgasborg and Beach shack.

Personally I like them both.

To me Spinout is not only Elvis' best post-1964 musical comedy (I mean in an "Elvis-film" kind of way, otherwise it'd be The Trouble With Girls) but also has one of the most consistent soundtracks of the 1960ies. Together with the outstanding bonus cuts this really must have been a ray of hope in 1966 that something at least could happen. Dave Marsh lists it as one of his Top 40 albums of 1966. :shock:

By the way: If you can get the LP version. It sounds great IMO.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:58 pm

Image
Pete Dube wrote:
likethebike wrote:I think the Spinout sessions are way underrated. The ballads are throwaways and "Smorgasboard" should have been left on the cutting room floor but is really the only time that Elvis addressed the rock and roll that was coming out of LA at that time. Elvis sings with gusto and the band plays with flair and speed. The title track is majorly underrated as is the crash and burn rocker "Stop, Look and Listen" that growl on the transition is worth the listen in and of itself. That the song stops dime only increases its impact. "I'll Be Back" a very fine pop blues in the tradition of "Mess of Blues" and Pomus and Shuman's "Never Say Yes" are also worth having as is "Adam and Evil" although that song is more satiric in intent.


I basically agree with you here Bike, except that I like the Spinout ballads. All That I Am is an attempt at something different, and Am I Ready, while trite lyrically, is melodically pretty, and beautifully sung by Elvis. I'm very fond of Adam and Evil,it's sort of a combination of Hard Headed Woman (lyrically) and Devil In Disguise (musically). I agree that the title song is very underrated. The only truely rinky-dink tunes from this soundtrack are Smorgasborg and Beach shack.


Good points. I don't know where Keith Richards Jr. gets all of his antipathy toward the SPINOUT soundtrack, to say nothing of the studio bonus tracks that garnered him from fine notices, setting the stage for '68 in some respects.

I'm not alone in being fond of so many of the movie songs, although we should never forget how many dogs also were recorded. Still, there is a "fun factor" to so many of these songs.

***************************************
Related thread about the often-maligned '60s movie set "Command Performances, the Essential '60s Masters II":

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:48 am

I like a lot of movie songs, and i think there are more than just 5 or 10 good songs from the '60 movies :

1. CHARRO ! a very very good and special song, sounds like no other Elvis song
2. EDGE OF REALITY , same as above, i like the opening
3. LET YOURSELF GO ! , very good beat
4. FUN IN ACAPULCO , most of the soundtrack album is great Elvis' voice is very good and clear
5. THEY REMIND ME TOO MUCH OF YOU 1962, so beautiful and tender song
6. HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS 1961, same as "They Remind".....
7. ROUSTABOUT soundtrack is great!
8. GIRL HAPPY , PUPPET ON A STRING, DO NOT DISTURB, CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE TO DIE, IVE GOT TO FIND MY BABY
9. CHANGE OF HABIT ! great! i really like it, all that drums in it !
10. From : KISSIN COUSINS: THERES GOLD IN THE MOUNTAINS, CATCHIN ON FAST, TENDER FEELING, ONCE IS ENOUGHT, ANYONE(not included in the film)
11. ANGEL ! GREAT !
12. WHATED I SAY ! great version of ELVIS !
13. PLEASE DONT STOP LOVING ME ! mmmm....YAMMIE !
14. IN MY WAY , LONELY MAN from: WILD IN THE COUNTRY
15. and finaly all the songs from: TICKLE ME ! 8)
there are more songs but thats what i picked
Enjoy it
LIOR

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:01 am

JLGB wrote:Oh my! All soundtracks are good now!! :shock: :roll: :lol:


And this includes Old Macdonald, Ito Eats and my favourite of all time CONFIDENCE. :lol:

Elvis should have considered Confidence for the Aloha concert. :)

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:22 am

Likethebike: Smorgasbord on the cutting room floor? No great sax solo?
Well, gotta run. I've got a craving for Smogasbord.

Re: Quality Movie Songs

Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:53 pm

I'm bringing this old thread back from the depths.
I think the movie songs have been overlooked lately on this forum. I like a lot of the movie songs. I think there are lots of gems from the 1960's movie output.
I had a break from Elvis for a few years until I realised there were many movie recordings by Elvis I'd never heard.
This led me to start collecting the Double Features releases of 1993, 1994, 1995 and 1996. I've collected all but one.

Here's my 1960's movie favourites:

G. I. Blues
Doin' the Best I Can
Shoppin' Around (fast version)
Wooden Heart

Flaming Star
Summer Kisses, Winter Tears

Wild In the Country
Lonely Man
I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell

Can't Help Falling In Love
No More
Rock-A-Hula Baby

Follow That Dream
Angel
What a Wonderful Life
I'm Not the Marrying Kind

A Whistling Tune
Home Is Where the Heart Is
I Got Lucky
King of the Whole Wide World

Girls! Girls! Girls!
Where Do You Come From
Return to Sender
A Boy Like Me, A Girl Like You

Relax
They Remind Me Too Much Of You
One Broken Heart For Sale

Almost the whole "Viva Las Vegas" soundtrack (including the songs not featured in the movie)
I don't care much for "What'd I Say", "If You Think I Don't Need You" and "Santa Lucia".

Once Is Enough
Catchin' On Fast
Anyone (Could Fall In Love With You)
Kissin' Cousins
Tender Feeling

(I'm A) Roustabout
Little Egypt
There's a Brand New Day On the Horizon
Wheels On My Heels

Girl Happy
Puppet On a String
Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce
Do Not Disturb

So Close, Yet So Far (From Paradise)
Wisdom Of the Ages
Kismet
Animal Instinct
Mirage

Please Don't Stop (Loving Me)
What Every Woman Lives For
Hard Luck

Sand Castles

Am I Ready
Spinout

City By Night
Could I Fall In Love
Double Trouble
I Love Only One Girl (A silly song, but I like it :)
Long Legged Girl (With the Short Dress On)

Easy Come, Easy Go
She's a Machine
The Girl I Never Loved
You Don't Know Me

Speedway
Suppose
Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby
Let Yourself Go

All I Needed Was The Rain
Goin' Home
Stay Away

Wonderful World
Edge Of Reality
A Little Less Conversation
Almost In Love

Charro
Let's Forget About the Stars

Clean Up Your Own Back Yard
Swing Down, Sweet Chariot
Almost

Change Of Habit
Rubberneckin'


As you can see I've skipped Fun In Acapulco and Clambake. Tickle Me was skipped because the soundtrack overdub versions are inferior to the original studio recordings of the same songs.
That's it! A long and boring list, but It proves to myself that there are many lovely soundtrack tunes.

I even enjoy a few quite crappy songs which I haven't listed ("Ito Eats", "A Dogs Life" "Scratch My Back", "Queenie Wahine's Papaya", "Smorgasbord", "Confidence" and "Yoga Is As Yoga Does" is not amongst those (: to name a few of the worst that comes to mind.)

That "Smorgasbord" is a catchy tune, I'll have to admit, in spite of the stupid lyrics.