All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

December 31st, 1975

Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:16 am

Over the years I have read reviews of the Pontiac show that are generally negative. Until receently I've had a pretty poor audience recording of the show, but now with a much clearer source I enjoyed this show for the first time and found the only detracting parts of the show was the unrehearsed My Way (you can hear a comment from the audience asking "Didn't he know when to end it"?).
The other odd part was how quickly Elvis ended the show after the one liner of Wooden Heart.
Highlights for me are See See Rider, Trying To Get To You, Heartbreak Hotel, You Gave Me a Mountain, Polk Salad Annie (with extended ending), Its Now Or Never (much better than the 1974 warble versions from Tahoe), How Great Thou Art, America, and Sweet Sweet Spirit by the Stamps. All to me are good, strong, straight versions.
Not since the Astrodome in March 1974 had Elvis had so little contact with the audience. And his lack of visual contact with the band is also apparent in some songs, but overall its a great concert with Elvis admitting on two occasions he's nervous. I am at a loss why reveiws have suggested Elvis put on a poor show.

Re: December 31st, 1975

Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:04 am

Jim Dandy wrote:Not since the Astrodome in March 1974 had Elvis had so little contact with the audience. And his lack of visual contact with the band is also apparent in some songs.

Which is understandable considering the stage set-up. The best recording I've ever heard of this show comes from the Happy New Year From Pontiac CD.

Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:50 am

Well, Elvis did throw some scarfs in the audience.. but he didn't really like the stage set up..
But as discussed here a couple of weeks ago, many statement about this show are not true..

The show had it's limitations, but in general it was a good one.
At least from Elvis' part:

The blue grass opening act is an insult to the stadium crowd and didn't fit in the show at all..
The other opening act (called Freedom?) is nice though..

Cheers, RJ

Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:16 pm

I just got the '74 Astrodome show and it's interesting to hear (due to the recording?) how "empty" it sounds, but I love that it's a stripped down band and he seems to be trying harder, limiting the goofing, etc.

I look forward to getting the Pontiac show.

Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:49 pm

My friend, who wasn't an EP fan at the time, attended this show and thought it was "very good".

Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:55 pm

I,too, was at this show, and we left fully satisfied. It's only been in recent years,that I've heard it described as the "disappointing" or "weak" '75 New Years show. I've heard the audience recording, and it sounds good to me. I don't remember any negative reviews in the paper the next dat,either.
spike

Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:16 pm

Do you have any pictures of 31/12/75 Spike?

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:56 pm

I found some pics a long time ago from 12/31/75, should I post them in the pic thread, instead of this topic?

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:35 pm

It's hard to believe that from 62.000 people only 1 person recorded
this show.
We won't get a soundboard,but maybe one day we'll get a better
audience recording.

30,000 Empty Seats For Presley Concert Tonight at Pontiac

Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:47 pm

Detroit Free Press, Dec. 31, 1975
Headline:
30,000 Empty Seats For Presley Concert Tonight at Pontiac
Story:
"Elvis Presley's New Year's Eve concert at Pontiac Stadium billed as "sold
out", will actually draw fewer than 60,000 fans to the 90,000-seat arena.
Presley's representatives last week stopped ticket sales short of 60,000,
Chuck Stone, one of Presley's promotion men, said: "We decided to not sell
tickets to the upper deck in the stadium so that the fans can get a good
view of Elvis".
The decision seems to conflict with the original plans of Presley's manager,
Col. Tom Parker. One source said that during negotiations for the Pontiac
concert the question was raised whether Presley could draw a capacity crowd.
Parker reportedly replied, "Elvis has never played to an empty seat in his
life and he won't start now".
Richard M. Kelly, a member of the Anthony Franco firm that handles public
relations for the stadium indicated that the decision to stop ticket sales
was made by Elvis Presley Enterprises and that the concert still will gross
receipts in excess of $450,000. The stadium will receive a percentage of the
gate receipts with a guaranteed minimum of about $100,000.
The concert is scheduled to start at 8:30 p.m. The gates open at 6.
The show will feature several warm-up acts including the vocal group Sweet
Inspirations and a comedian, Jackie Kahane.
The show will be similar to Presley's recent apperances in Las Vegas with a
New Year flavor. Presley is expected to take the stage at 11 p.m. through a
tunnel espessially constructed for the occation. He will be onstage at
midnight and the show is expected to end around 12:30 a.m.
The performing stage, 14 feet high and 64 feet across, is in the center of
the stadium. Presley will perform in the round, unlike the Who at the
stadiums first concert. That group's stage was at the south end of the
arena.
Presley will be surrounded amplifiers and 7,000 chairs on the field. All
seats are reserved.
Beer will be available at the concession stands, but there is still a ban on
cans and bottles.
Those attending should dress warmly since temperature in the stadium is kept
at about 65 degrees and the field seats are usually even cooler."
--
T.

Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:56 pm

I remember watching the footage I have and watching Presley walk back down the stairs, during James' See See Rider solo, because he'd forgotten his guitar pick! Elvis must of been livid!

Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:49 pm

Robert wrote:Do you have any pictures of 31/12/75 Spike?

I do. I believe they're by Bob Heis.If I get some time I'll post them and my ticket stub and some ads from the show, that I saved.
spike

Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:37 am

Jim Dandy wrote: I am at a loss why reveiws have suggested Elvis put on a poor show.

Probably because he no longer had a 32 inch waistline. This show is actually a good example of the misinformation that often gets put out there. I recall reading years ago that this show was a poor performance that only lasted a 1/2 hour. Then the audience recording was released featuring a relatively long (for Elvis) show and an overall decent performance (from what I've read. I don't have the show and have only heard a few excerpts from it).

Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:37 am

Pete Dube wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote: I am at a loss why reveiws have suggested Elvis put on a poor show.

Probably because he no longer had a 32 inch waistline.

That'll do it every time. Once that waistline hit 34 and above, he was incapable of a good show. They (the critics) just loved an overweight Elvis on stage. He could have performed a total kick ass show and the crowd could have went into a frenzy. However, many critics never got past the waistline. How well he performed had no bearing at all.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:26 am

Rob wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:

Probably because he no longer had a 32 inch waistline.

many critics never got past the waistline. How well he performed had no bearing at all.

This is really sad, to have a man giving it everything he has to please his audience and still the critics never really have anything positive about the show :evil:

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:59 am

Pete,here's the show.

http://www.wonderful-world-of-elvis.com ... c1975.html

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:11 pm

Thanks for posting the audio!

He looks in decent fettle here, at least the top photo:

I like the idea of him playing stadiums as in many ways it befit his stature as a one of a kind legend. It also might have been a gateway to touring the world and "thinking big." Alas, it was not to be.

Rod Stewart's Brazil concert: world's largest ever
Millions of people flock to Copacabana Beach each year for the city's New Years' Eve celebration, which features fireworks, tributes to Afro-Brazilian spirit deities and bands on several stages. In 1994, 3.5 million people hit the beach to see Rod Stewart in what The Guinness World Records Web site describes as history's largest live concert.
But Rio Mayor Cesar Maia is among the city officials already touting Saturday's Stones appearance as the biggest live concert ever, arguing that many of those counted at the Stewart show were on the beach to celebrate New Year's.
Stones fans were expected to fill fully half of the 4-kilometer (2.5-mile) beach. Eight video screens and 16 sound towers will give fans far from the action a glimpse of the sexagenarian rockers.

More than 50,000 people wearing Stones T-shirts and wagging-tongue tattoos lustily welcomed on Tuesday night the top-grossing rock tour that kicked off in the United States in August.

It wasn't the more than 1 million people who thronged Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday, but fever for the "Estones," as they are known in Spanglish slang, gripped this capital in the dog days of the hot South American summer.

The Rolling Stones' less-than-record breaking Feb. 2006 show in Rio,
ImageImage

Imagine what the King could have done?

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:28 pm

Rob wrote:However, many critics never got past the waistline.

That's not true. Most of them also wrote about the scarves, the screaming women and the fact that Elvis was 40 years old! :D I don't think I have seen a review that mentions the music or his voice, though...

I don't pay any attention to newspaper reviews, since they were not written by people who knew anything about music, and I feel this is the only "mistake" in Stein Erik Skar's brilliant book "The Concert Years": he included too many newpaper reviews. I'd much rather see more of Skar's own words because he has intelligent opinions and relevant information and he expresses himself very well. A truly gifted writer. Skar is a real journalist. And most of the reviews look exactly the same: the first part is a couple of words about Elvis's rise to fame, the second is about the scarves, women and waistline, and they always end with something about Elvis being or not being The King. Elvis wasn't, and still isn't, regarded as a serious artist by most people.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:37 pm

You and President Bush apparently keep away from reading newspapers! :lol:

Seriously, that's one of the reasons I do want to get THE CONCERT YEARS book. We do need to have (or at least read once) reviews of non-fans and journalists, no matter how out-to-lunch they are...

I guess my opinion may change when i have to wade through them all, but I'm so glad we have such a resource around. Even bad ones add flavor to the experience of re-living a particular show.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:52 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:You and President Bush apparently keep away from reading newspapers! :lol:

Seriously, that's one of the reasons I do want to get THE CONCERT YEARS book. We do need to have (or at least read once) reviews of non-fans and journalists, no matter how out-to-lunch they are...

I guess my opinion may change when i have to wade through them all, but I'm so glad we have such a resource around. Even bad ones add flavor to the experience of re-living a particular show.

I see your point, Greg, and I also want to have as much information as possible about each show. But like I said they all look pretty much the same and these reviewers almost never go into details about the show or the songs.

I once emailed Skar asking him - no, begging him - to write another book like "The Concert Years". It could be about a specific tour, or perhaps the Madison Square Garden shows, it doesn't matter. But he said it took him so many years to write and collect information for "The Concert Years" that he wouldn't even dream of doing it again! :D

I never listen to a new soundboard without this book in my hands. It really adds something extra to the experience.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:53 pm

I've restrained myself from venturing into doing some of the import reviews I'd like to do because I still don't have that great book you mention.

I'd like to think that another person can pick up the ball for the next project. Quite a few sites on the internet are so handy and useful that I'd love to see a true book form (Elvisconcerts.com, Elvis In Norway, ElvisSessions' page;Master & Session, etc.).

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:48 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Elvis wasn't, and still isn't, regarded as a serious artist by most people.

I wouldn't go as far as to say most people. However, let's say it is true. We can't really blame the people.

Can we, Colonel?

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:37 pm

Keith's take is troubling but all too realistic.

We take comfort from how the Elvis legend (even the junk) seems to never go away but I wonder at one point will that all run out of mileage?

They'll be a ten year old (surely there is) who will be coming of age in the next decade who may not ever half to learn what catchphrases like "Elvis Has Left the Building" mean and perhaps theyll be a shrinkage of impersonators who can get gigs.

I personally think Elvis' legacy will benefit from less of some of that, but it will require us getting used to Elvis at a lower wattage. How many times can Sony/BMG or Turner or whoever make an Entertainment Tonight want to do an Elvis story? They'll be a point when someone born in 2010 who is becomes a network exec who says, "uh, Elvis is so 20th century and he's very dead."

The only thing left will be his real legacy, which will live on: his music and films, the best embassadors for new fans ultimately.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:04 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:The Rolling Stones' less-than-record breaking Feb. 2006 show in Rio

I was going to attend this show. But unfortunately I had to work.
Well, I think Elvis would have done the same.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:21 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:Over the years I have read reviews of the Pontiac show that are generally negative ... I am at a loss why reveiws have suggested Elvis put on a poor show.

Factors in a less-favorable review:

- Elvis not at his physical best
- unusual stage set-up ruined chemistry of band and singer
- cold made band's instruments go out of tune
- pre-show was crap
- main show shorter, less "hit-filled" than perhaps expected

And he had to leave the stage to change his outfit after the pants ripped. That couldn't have helped the flow of the evening.

Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra
C.C. Rider
I Got A Woman / Amen
Love Me
Trying To Get To You
And I Love You So
All Shook Up
Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel
Heartbreak Hotel
One Night
You Gave A Mountain
Polk Salad Annie
Introductions by Elvis of vocalists, band
Sweet Sweet Spirit (Sweet Inspirations)
What'd I Say (James Burton)
Drum solo (Ronnie Tutt)
Bass solo (Jerry Scheff)
Piano solo (Glen D. Hardin)
Introductions by Elvis of vocalists, orchestra
School Day (Joe Guercio Orchestra)
My Way
Love Me Tender
Auld Lang Syne
How Great Thou Art (w/reprise)
It's Now Or Never
America The Beautiful
Hound Dog
Wooden Heart (partial)
Can't Help Falling In Love

-----

He did better 365 days later in Pittsburgh.

DJC