All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:38 pm

Ezzz...case in point. :lol: Inicidently, am I the only one seeing Doc "steaming up" over here?

Pete Dube,

But what about the Country Charts?

Trouble Hit #11, Hurt hit #6, Moody Blue hit #1, and Way Down also hit #1 which may have been before his death.

Still why does it have to be only when he was alive? There was certaintly a "cash in", but it was these songs weren't exactly terrible either.

My Way 2 1977
Unchained Melody 6 1978
Are You Sincere 10 1979
There's A Honky Tonk Angel (Who Will Take Me Back In) 6 1979
Guitar Man 1 1981
Lovin' Arms 8 1981

Still even with these examples, the image is what cannot be measured. KISS were a phenomenon in the 70's yet their chart success was virtually non-existent. Elvis was beyond that. He didn't need "hits" in that way anymore.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:09 am

Ezzz wrote: .... i`d put good money on you guys checking out his posts whenever you see his name.

N880EP wrote:That's a bet you'd definitely lose with me.

Make that two losing bets.

DJC

Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:23 am

Thats right Doc..you go ahead and tell them! :evil: Oh wait, did you just post again? :D :lol:

Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:04 am

N880EP wrote:
Ezzz wrote: .... i`d put good money on you guys checking out (Genesim's) posts whenever you see his name.

That's a bet you'd definitely lose with me.

N8
... just a fan ....

I just waded though this super-long thread and actually found the Hawaii/ drugs/ 50s vs. 70s discussions rather interesting, save for the nastiness that emerged. Steve M. is a good egg who gives back to the Elvis world and for that (and that "site adminstrator" title) deserves a bit more respect.

Some try to say that Doc is the same as Genesim in terms of stirring the pot, but as someone who has locked horns with Genesim, I can sum up (as others might) the problem folks have with the guy. (In turn about Doc, it seems to me some do not catch some of the humor in DJC's snippiness and I can see why it can anger people at times.)

Genesim actually has some undeniably good insights and some occasionally well-placed passion, but at the risk of another feud, he's much more over-bearing, quick to anger yet slow (or unable) to move on.

Is this is unfair, Genesim? I think if there's one thing you can be accused of, it's your inablity to take it down a notch and back off sometimes.

I don't like to see people thrown off the boards, but we don't need 500 pound gorillas either. A little less combativeness would go a long way and I try to remember that myself.

I say all this to be constructive, by the way and bear no ill will. It's probably a futile post, but I had to say it.

I suppose I should lecture DJC, but I find most of his "offenses" usually well-timed jests that help move the conversation on with a touch of humor with an edge.

We all have our faults, right, DJC and Genesim? :D :lol:
Carry on!

Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:52 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Genesim ... (is) much more over-bearing, quick to anger yet slow (or unable) to move on.

Most especially after hijacking a great thread -- like this one.

DJC

Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:34 pm

Doc, although I generally clash with Genesim as well, I have to disagree a bit, if only to be fair after what I said above. "Hijacking" is pretty subjective. As I recall, Genesim had a darker view of those photos which was sort of original, if not something I'm sure I agree with. This spilled over into a greater discussion of Elvis & his demise. I actually think it was an interesting discussion, although the 50th state eventually was lost in all of it.

And so it goes.

For the record folks, I misspoke: Steve M. has not been site administrator since lat year, and the line in his profile just was not updated. Surely his great work at Elvis Crawler http://www.elviscrawler.com/ is more than enough to keep him occupied. It's good to have him check in here.
To contribute just a little back to the Hawaii subject, I'm planning on tackling Jerry Hopkins' Elvis & Hawaii book soon. It's on my "to-read" list and recall it getting mixed reviews. But I liked the tight focus. Like many fans, I'm glad he had such a place to "get away from it all" and it was also such a key part of his career.

I also just found this very cool Hawaii-centered site:

http://www.elvisinhawaii.com/frame.html

Also, check out this link to a great article called "Beyond the Reef:The Elvis-Hawaii Connection."
http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/article ... waii.shtml

Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:48 pm

500 pound gorilla. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Didn't know my words were that intimidating.

Your right though. I don't "move on" very easily, especially when it comes to personal attacks.

Though please note back a few pages. Did I not submit whenever Elvis Babe compared me to Goldman?

Of course someone had to start it up again, just like what is kind of going on here.

Still I am glad you at least saw the discussion that came afterwards and have laid to rest the whole "hijacking" comment. I can take the "overbearing" comment toward my views, especially again when people personally attack. If my opinions are strong, then that is a YP not an MP. Disprove what I say, and I will submit as I have in the past. Many times.

Now in closing take a look at the post. How many times has the Doc tried to stir it again?

p.s. Two things. Yes I can admit I have faults, and I admit when I have made an error, and have even apologized. Also Steve M is frickin crazy. :lol:
Last edited by genesim on Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:50 pm

Fair enough and I'll refrain from further comments on this. Let's not extend this discussion though. You make a good defense of yourself just as surely Doc can also defend himself. The rest of us grow weary.

Otherwise, there's always an off-topic thread for you guys to create & go head-to-head on.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:52 pm

Beat me on the edit..note above.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:55 pm

If he's crazy, it's a good crazy, as fans of his video footage can attest.

Okay, I'm done here. :lol:

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:10 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:To contribute just a little back to the Hawaii subject, I'm planning on tackling Jerry Hopkins' Elvis & Hawaii book soon. It's on my "to-read" list and recall it getting mixed reviews. But I liked the tight focus.

I also just found this very cool Hawaii-centered site:

http://www.elvisinhawaii.com/frame.html

There really isn't much to "tackle" as far as this book is concerned, as it is seriously lacking in both substance & focus (no pun intended).

The linked website (elvisinhawaii) also contributed very heavily to the book (as well as some other chaff sources).

I was disappointed in the book, because I expected much more.

The '77 Vacation, btw, ............ only gets a brief mention in terms of treatment.

N8
... just a fan ....

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:18 am

that hopkins book is a 100% dissapointment considering who wrote it and how good is should have been- a real lost opportunity to do that book properly.

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:24 am

Yes, that's what I heard. He gave us the first bio so it's hard to not have expected more.

Maybe someone will pick the ball up and run with it someday the way Guralnick did with Hopkins' initial work.

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:32 am

YDKM wrote:that hopkins book is a 100% dissapointment considering who wrote it and how good is should have been- a real lost opportunity to do that book properly.

Much agreed.

---------------------------------------------

Due to some of the chaff sources being used in that book, ........... I myself did not contribute (but had considered it).

Definitely a lost opportunity, on a number of levels.

Hopkins didn't put much effort into that book.

It was thrown together with minimal surface research & a hodgepodge of assorted pics. (some completely irrelevant and woefully obvious that some was used as fluff filler for the book).

N8
... just a fan ....

Re: Hawaii '77 - uncropped pics

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:40 am

Hi people,
does anyone have an cropped verson of the picture of elvis on the beach.
the shot is very wide, has lots of beach in the back ground and a lilttle mountain with 3 peaks in the top left corner.

it's one of these pictures of him on the beach, but most people of cropped the picture taking out the beach and mountains.

can anyone help please..?

alexander

Re:

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:30 am

N880EP wrote:
YDKM wrote:that hopkins book is a 100% dissapointment considering who wrote it and how good is should have been- a real lost opportunity to do that book properly.

Much agreed.

Due to some of the chaff sources being used in that book, ........... I myself did not contribute (but had considered it).

Definitely a lost opportunity, on a number of levels.

Hopkins didn't put much effort into that book.

It was thrown together with minimal surface research & a hodgepodge of assorted pics. (some completely irrelevant and woefully obvious that some was used as fluff filler for the book).

N8
... just a fan ....

See, now that's a damn shame. I didn't even bother picking it up yet because of that. I will eventually, of course, but not with any real sense of anticipation. The really sad part of it extends past the disappointment with Hopkins' shoddy work. What's really galling is that this may well serve to preclude anyone doing a genuinely in-depth examination of the subject in the future because "it's been done".