All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:02 pm

"I don't think you can regard Elvis or his work as a complete entity without considering every decade in which he lived and performed."

errrr ok.... :shock:

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:17 pm

That people prefer the 70's Elvis is one thing. But the Elvis of 54-58 shook up the world. The 70's Elvis started the decade back on top as a viable and vital recording artist and performer, but by mid-decade was basically a somewhat predictable perform by rote Vegas-oriented entertainer and human jukebox. The last 18 months or so saw a marked decline in both performance level and physical/emotional/mental health and well being.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:25 pm

The Elvis of the 70's was the same guy that started it in the 50's. Just with a better voice!!! :P

8) :lol:

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:31 pm

If the Elvis of the 70`s is so good, home come the releases from this period did`nt do as well as in the"golden period" ?....... :D

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:13 pm

Ezzz wrote:If the Elvis of the 70`s is so good, home come the releases from this period did`nt do as well as in the"golden period" ?....... :D

It's a fact of life that 'golden periods' don't like repeating themselves !

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:20 pm

I've always enjoied these pics, because they show the man not the legend.

What we have here it's a man living a "normal" life, wearin "normal" clothes.

In some way, these pics are moving and intense.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:45 pm

Ezzz wrote:"I don't think you can regard Elvis or his work as a complete entity without considering every decade in which he lived and performed."

errrr ok.... :shock:

In the words of the good Doctor: Thanks for your concise and worthwhile contribution.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:28 pm

Oh, you might want to fix your 70s Elvis quote "signature." It's incorrect.

The "joke" Elvis often made in the middle of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" was:

"If this suit weren't too tight."

Or, to be even more correct, "If this suit wasn't too tight."

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:32 pm

Nice twist Doc, so someone prefers the 70's so therefore they don't appreciate the accomplishments between 53 and 63??? :roll: :roll:

I don't think anyone on this board said that.

Still Elvis babe has great points, and actually the "depressed" Elvis at 42 is the rest of the story. Like it or not.

To me, the comeback is the more important aspect and that is why Elvis separates himself from all the other 50's icons...and yes even Bing Crosby.

A statement that perhaps surpasses even his accomplishments early on.

Pete Dube,

Actually what you say is not true. Elvis saw a couple of number one songs and was actually heading to yet another incline in his career. The Country charts reflect this.

Ezzz,

Actually the golden period when looked at from another angle didn't match up to the other said decades. While it is true that he recieved more #1's and on a proportion outlook had more hits, at the same time I posted stats to show that E in the 70's was actually breaking into yet more territory by tackling the Easy listening charts as well as going into the "new" country route in a very convincing way.

Hell I could agree with you more if it wasn't for one other thing....the Elvis "image" which cannot be denied. This is what separates him from the 50's Elvis, and yes the "depressed" "fat" Elvis is just as viable in that capacity.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:27 pm

He really doesn't look bad at all to me.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:17 am

[quote="genesim"]

To me, the comeback is the more important aspect and that is why Elvis separates himself from all the other 50's icons...and yes even Bing Crosby.

I agree that no 50's idol made as large a comeback as did Elvis in '68 and '69.
However, Sinatra had a decent comeback with "From Here To Eternity", Rick Nelson scored a big comeback with "Garden Party, Cliff Richard had a string of hits in the '70's, Johnny Cash in the 90's, and Roy Orbison in 1988 with Mystery Girl and Travelling Wilbury's.
Elvis may have had the most dramatic comeback, but other 50's singers had some pretty amazing comebacks.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:35 am

I agree that no 50's idol made as large a comeback as did Elvis in '68 and '69.
However, Sinatra had a decent comeback with "From Here To Eternity", Rick Nelson scored a big comeback with "Garden Party, Cliff Richard had a string of hits in the '70's, Johnny Cash in the 90's, and Roy Orbison in 1988 with Mystery Girl and Travelling Wilbury's.
Elvis may have had the most dramatic comeback, but other 50's singers had some pretty amazing comebacks.[/quote]

That may be true, but none of them sold out Madison Square Garden 4 times in a row, did a concert for the world via satellite, sold out the Houston Astrodome several times, the Pontiac Stadium, the largest showroom in Las Vegas about 120 times a year now did they? :)

Elvis made his fame in the Fifties, no question about that, he was huge, with one number one after another, but to me the Elvis of the Seventies will always be the greatest. Just look at the accomplishments I wrote above! And yes, I think he looked fantastic in those outfits that only he could wear.
Let's face it, he was simply sublime.

Cheers
Simon

Ito Eats ...............

Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:31 am

Nine pages and still going strong off into Tangent-Land.

It Never Ceases To Amaze Me !! :wink:

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:31 am

TCB,

There are a lot of great comebacks..but like you say, none like the KING. Which of course is like I said. It separates him from the rest. No other comeback was near as convincing. That is just my opinion though.

N880EP,

Call it going off on a tangent, but I call it discussion. How many more "wows" of the photos do we need?

Everything that is being debated is a direct link to what is contained within the images.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:55 am

genesim wrote:N880EP,

Call it going off on a tangent, but I call it discussion.

How many more "wows" of the photos do we need?

Everything that is being debated is a direct link to what is contained within the images.

No, it's called thread hijacking.

Aloha ! (A shame you're so short-sighted).

No, it's OFF the TOPIC of this thread and the reason it was started. (Just ask Jim Dandy, the thread starter). :wink:

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:07 am

Give me a break. Why post pictures if you can't take the comments on them! What is the point otherwise???

Meanwhile, lets ignore all the intelligent discussion that happened after(of course I mean outside the name calling "ignorant" comments that sidetracked it for a while).

This is a discussion board after all. But hey I am game. Lets just post more pics taken from other peoples sites and just look....no discussion...just look. :roll: :roll:

Oh wait..are only WOW...GEE THATS GREAT...NICE, only allowed???

Did it ever occur to you that my comments were actually me enjoying them as well? Do I have to say "oh gush gush" to appreciate them?

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:12 am

genesim wrote:Give me a break. Why post pictures if you can't take the comments on them! What is the point otherwise???

Meanwhile, lets ignore all the intelligent discussion that happened after(of course I mean outside the name calling "ignorant" comments that sidetracked it for a while).

This is a discussion board after all. But hey I am game. Lets just post more pics taken from other peoples sites and just look....no discussion...just look. :roll: :roll:

Oh wait..are only WOW...GEE THATS GREAT...NICE, only allowed???

Did it ever occur to you that my comments were actually me enjoying them as well? Do I have to say "oh gush gush" to appreciate them?

SNAP !!

(Thanks for that Kodak Moment).

--------------------------------------------------------

Have a good one.

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:14 am

Glad you liked. :D

Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:30 am

genesim wrote:Call it going off on a tangent, but I call it discussion.

N880EP wrote:No, it's called thread hijacking..

Yes, indeed, N8.

And he is likely the member who does this the most, ruining topic after topic for the rest of us.

If we could eliminate such nuisances, this MB would really be a pleasure, wouldn't it?

DJC

Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Yes, indeed, N8.

And he is likely the member who does this the most, ruining topic after topic for the rest of us.

If we could eliminate such nuisances, this MB would really be a pleasure, wouldn't it?

DJC

Much agreed.

That's something that I would indeed vote for.

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:14 pm

"Thread highjacking" ?......."eliminate such nuisances" ?..hmmm..you guys take yourselves and these topics way too seriously.

I may not always agree with Gene, but he sure injects some debate into this board. And i`d put good money on you guys checking out his posts whenever you see his name.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:22 pm

Ezzz wrote: .... i`d put good money on you guys checking out his posts whenever you see his name.

That's a bet you'd definitely lose with me.

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:58 pm

N8 -

You wrote:
That's something that I would indeed vote for.

You mean you want a poll on it ?

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:01 pm

genesim wrote:Pete Dube,

Actually what you say is not true. Elvis saw a couple of number one songs and was actually heading to yet another incline in his career. The Country charts reflect this.

Genesim -
I had his performance career in mind. In the 70's Elvis did have significant success on both the country and adult contemporary charts. He rarely gets credit for this, as it's an aspect of his 70's recording career that rarely gets discussed.

That said, the demographic for country and a.c. was smaller back then. An artists could have a #1 country or a.c. hit single with sales of 200,000-300,000 units. Elvis was no longer the pop chart force he'd been in the 56-63 period, or the 68-70 comeback period. He did have some respectable top 20 showings on the pop chart 72-75 (and Burning Love was his last smash), but after My Boy his singles failed to crack the top 20, and even the top 30 (with the exception of Hurt). His death affected the chart positions of Way Down and My Way.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:10 pm

Wow, their are some truly "Awesome" pictures there that I have never seen before. Thank you so much for sharing. These pictues are so great!!!!!!! :D