All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:35 am

Pete Dube wrote:
As for his appearance, his face has that sickly, weak-eyed look that it took on in '76, and never really lost.

You are so right Pete. I was thinking the same exact thing the other day. What got me to thinking was the last year of my dads life he had that same look (he died at 47). There was just a sickly look to him that was so unlike anyother time in his life. Our boy was in such need of a good rest and medical attention not dictated by him or the former Dr Nick but a team of doctors to put Elvis in his place and make him get better. Just writing this makes me sad....

Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:51 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:... is it just me, or does just about every time GeneSim posts, we get a argument?

No, it's not just you.

DJC

Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:24 pm

JLGB wrote:Check out tcb site. More Hawaii shots and Elvis looks much better (in those) than the ones posted on this thread so far.

It is also a good site for coloring-by-the-numbers, playing with pictures without permission AND taking credit, & discussing Elvis' body parts. That said, ....... their hearts are in the right place, though.

-----------------------------------

Sorry, ........... just couldn't resist.

Please excuse my own brief OFF-TOPIC additions to this thread.

-----------------------------------

N8
... just a fan ....

Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:36 pm

You are a grumpy little bear tonight N880EP....lol

Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:41 pm

Blue-Gypsy wrote:You are a grumpy little bear tonight N880EP....lol

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! :lol:

N8
... just a fan ....

PS - You can also consider my remarks about that site as "Insider Information", too. :lol:

PPS - ...... growl ........... !!

Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:58 pm

N8, earlier in the thread you mentioned, I believe,there are more pictures from the Hawaii vacation with Elvis looking "Happy & Healthy" are these pictures available on the web anywhere or in the hands of private collectors?

Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:14 pm

Liverbobs wrote:N8, earlier in the thread you mentioned, I believe,there are more pictures from the Hawaii vacation with Elvis looking "Happy & Healthy" are these pictures available on the web anywhere or in the hands of private collectors?

"Liverbobs"

Greetings.

The pics. of which I speak are definitely not available on the web and they are in the private hands (my own). I'm positive I own the only copies of some, too.

I picked them up in Hawaii myself and virtually scoured the place (when I lived there) over a number of years.

There are also lots of untold stories surrounding EP's Hawaiian visits - lots - including from '77. I doubt there are many more pictures to be found (for a number of reasons), but ............ as I learned long ago in The Elvis World ----> anything is always possible.

N8
... just a fan ....

Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:53 pm

It is nice to see some different responses other then the..."fantastic pic" "great pictures of E"

The "happy" pics definetly have a darker shadow, and I just can't help it.

I am glad I am not the only one that sees this facet.

Elvis was a complex character though and he continues to be more facinating to me as time goes on.

Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:06 pm

N8
Thanks for the (mouthwatering :lol: ) reply

Elvis was a complex character though and he continues to be more facinating to me as time goes on.
geneism,
My sentiments EXACTLY!!!!

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:17 am

Liverbobs wrote:N8

You're quite welcome, "Liverbobs."

To be honest, however, ............... your candid comments do come as a bit of a surprise to me.

I didn't think that anybody else really cared about the 70's EP (especially '77) on this MB; you know, because E is certainly far-removed from the "cool-as-a-fridge" image of the 50's and all that.

N8
... just a fan ....

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:27 am

The "fat Elvis" is the image that means the most to me. Call it the classic tragedy story...etc. But it is the HUMAN Elvis that we have really come to love....warts and all.

May he R.I.P.

Liverbobs,

Great minds think alike. :lol: :lol:

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:40 am

[quote="N880EP
I didn't think that anybody else really cared about the 70's EP (especially '77) on this MB; you know, because E is certainly far-removed from the "cool-as-a-fridge" image of the 50's and all that.

N8
... just a fan ....[/quote]

Really? I thought there was more appreciation for Elvis in the 70s than any other period on this board. I'm a big fan of all periods, but the 50s Elvis will always have the edge for me. Pretty sure I am in the minority on that. There are very obvious exceptions of course, not least Mr Tall Hair :)

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:41 am

Guys,

I'm just joking about my '77 EP comments.

There is a huge interest here, ................. despite the denials by some.

N8
... just a '77 EP & EP-Hawaii fan ....

Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:49 am

i'm a total 70s elvis aficionada. i would honestly rather watch eic than 50s elvis on tv appearances, any day of the week. i just happen to relate more to the later elvis, problems and all (the depression and people using you are things i relate to).

when i look at pictures/watch videos of the later elvis...something always pops out at me that's just a tiny bit more special, and he already is a very special guy.

in '77, i see a sad sweetness in the guy that just endears me to him in that last year.

personally, i don't give a flying f*ck about his weight, because he still had that inner beauty...he never lost that. that's why REAL fans of his, love him even when his physical beauty has taken on a sickly appearance...because the true fans don't just see a 'cool cat', but a 'beautiful man with a beautiful inner soulfulness'...i honestly don't see elvis any differently between the earliest footage to the latest, because the same inner glow is there.

vocally, my favorite and the most moving performance, is without a doubt the june 21, 1977 version of unchained melody. and i'm not afraid to say my favorite footage of him is sitting at that piano...he turns his head and smiles. for me, it's all about that smile. the way he sings that song is felt...you feel the words and you know he's meaning them. for me, it was the best way he could have said goodbye to the world.

eic is extremely underrated. his vocal performances in that show (and in a lot of the outtakes) surpass many performance footage where he appeared more attractive. unfortunately, the world is cruel and looks only to tear him down without opening their ears.

i know a lot of 40 year old people who don't look nearly as attractive as he did. let's face it. it's almost like people want to make him guilty of not being immortally young. he's human--a human who shared his life with us...few people ever do that, and few people ever gave so many people that one hour of happiness while it came across.

and yes, call me a victim of the rose-colored glasses, but i still think he was beautiful in his last years. and i was born 10 years after he died...how many people in history have the same affect on fans (even the drooling female ones) after they become but a memory as they did when they were alive?

james dean and rudolph valentino used to be found very sexy by female audiences. is there much left to those fanbases, if at all?

yet look at the elvis world. i wasn't the only one screaming at the theater screen when they played that '68 special in theaters. in fact, the audience sounded like they were watching a live concert, like elvis could actually hear them.

yes, i prefer ttwii and eot as my favorite eras of elvis. but i may be one of the few to prefer eic to '68--the vocals do it for me. '68 doesn't have quite the songs i like yet, either, which downgrades it a bit. the '50s hits (minus the ballads--which is the best part of his '50s music by far) don't do it for me the way the '69-'77 gems do.

so yeah...give me just pretend or how great thou art...give me every amen and karate kick...that's the elvis i always see in my mind. i'm definitely a jumpsuit junkie at heart.

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:17 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:i'm a total 70s elvis aficionada. i would honestly rather watch eic than 50s elvis on tv appearances, any day of the week.
so yeah...give me just pretend or how great thou art...give me every amen and karate kick...that's the elvis i always see in my mind. i'm definitely a jumpsuit junkie at heart.

Are you married? :D

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:35 am

You could go to jail for that, Tony. If I remember correctly, she's quite young. A great little gal, maybe.....but quite young.

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:51 am

So that means she's not married!

YES!!

Just teasin....

not really
really
Not really

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:52 am

Anyway I'm not but 17 years old Rob!

Jeez!

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:29 am

update--i'm 18, nearing on 19 in 3 months...and probably still too young for the lot of you. :lol:

really, i think i'm going to have to find some elvis fan if i'm ever going to get a relationship (which is unlikely due to my wackiness)...seriously. whoever i date/marry is going to have to put up with quite a lot of my interests (elvis being the biggy). :wink:

nah, i'll stick to my cat, mittens. he loves me no matter what. ;)

ok, now back to elvis (instead of whether i'm legal or not).

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:55 am

Oh well, I am really 37 anyway. Besides I can't imagine what kind of house this would be with two Elvis fanatics...lol

Christmas sure would be fun though! It is very hard getting non Elvis fans to understand what I want in my stocking.

I ask for some FTD's last Christmas and I had flowers delivered to me on Christmas day!

Cha, Cha, Cha....I still got it!

For those of you that are wondering that is the dialouge Ralph Mouth and his father (from Happy Days) would have with each other whenever they would tell a joke. Something my dad and I used to do with each other when we were joking around.

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:30 am

18....19....I don't care. I not superficial about such things.

Re: .

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:34 am

Blue-Gypsy wrote:For those of you that are wondering that is the dialouge Ralph Mouth and his father (from Happy Days) would have with each other whenever they would tell a joke.

Ralph Malph, Tony. Not Mouth.

C'mon, get with it!

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:40 am

N880EP wrote:

To be honest, however, ............... your candid comments do come as a bit of a surprise to me.

N8
... just a fan ....

N8...........have we met??? I'm certain we have :wink: .

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:15 am

N880EP wrote:

N8
... just a fan ....

I Know you're comments are said with tongue firmly implanted in cheek, but give me EP's last decade including '77 over the 50's anyday of the week!.I've also said before that this period in Elvis' life (apart from August 16th) hasn't had the in depth coverage it so deserves, even Guralnick's 2nd book doesn't go as in depth as it shoud've ( Plastic Priz musty've fluttered those eyelashes at Peter or something :lol: ) N8, you could be "Da Man" to correct this :lol: :lol: :wink: (The in depth book about the 70's not Priscilla's fluttering eyelashes!!!) Seriously though, I still feel there is a DEFINATIVE book still waiting to be written about my favourite period in EP's life

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:24 pm

Liverbobs wrote:... give me EP's last decade including '77 over the 50's anyday of the week ... my favourite period in EP's life

It never ceases to amaze me.

How can decline, depression and early death from drug abuse be the "favorite" period of any fan, when one can choose innovation, triumph, happiness and vibrant life?

DJC