All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

REVELATIONS OF MEMPHIS MAFIA

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:41 am

have you read this book? and whats your view on it

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:58 am

Well, it´s a very honest book, but I know a lot of fans, that don´t like it, because it countains a lot of tough things and because of Lamar´s black humor. But it´s my favourite Elvis book. :roll:

O.S.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:18 pm

I think, along with 'Last Train', it's essential (if you want to get closer to the 'real' Elvis).

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:12 pm

Obviously there are two camps. Essential / Trash. I don't think there is anybody here who thinks the book is middle of the road. You should get the recently re-released paperback and form your own opinion.

In my opinion it is an excellent book. What surprised me the most is that it has a very different tone than any other book. While Billy, Lamar, and Marty do tell stories about Elvis and the things he did, what comes across much more strongly than any other book is this sense of WHO Elvis was. It's like they get inside his head and crawl around and you get a real sense of what made Elvis tick... what kind of person he was, what his sense of humor was like, what his fears were, what drove him, what was important to him, what he disliked. You similarly get a much more candid and revealing look at Gladys, Vernon, and a lot of others in the Elvis story than in other books. You see them more as 3-dimensional people instead of just "the doting mother" etc. It's a refreshing change to have a book that focuses much more on Elvis as a human being caught in extraordinary circumstances rather than as this larger-than-life idol, or saint, or devil. I can see how some people would get upset with some of the things. I admit I didn't like every story, but when I read a book I want to hear the whole story and not a white washed version.

Re: REVELATIONS OF MEMPHIS MAFIA

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:18 pm

jacob wrote:have you read this book? and whats your view on it

Very enjoyable. I wasn't crazy about the "interview" type format at first, but it grew on me. Interesting how the same story had different and conflicting, facts from various people, many times, which just goes to show,you can't believe ecerything you read.Even though the person is being honest, they may just not remember the event correctly.
spike

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:31 pm

I think it's a mistake to take ANY Elvis book as being 100% accurate. I prefer books based on the memories of people who knew Elvis, even though nobody's memory is accurate. Were the MMM out to make money? Yes, they have said so. Did they make up sh*t to make more money? Probably not. Because in RMM you have literally dozens of instances where one member remembers things one way and another one comes in right afterward and says that's not how it happened at all. I actually like the "interview" type format, because you don't have some hack author trying to interpret things based on no sources. You get the actual conversation / answers. My advice is to read everything you can, and when multiple people tell the same story, you can put a little more stock in it being true.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:48 pm

The book "Elvis" from 1971/1972 is based on interviews with people that knew and know Elvis at the time.
The actual interviews can be heard on the 12-part radio show "The Elvis Presley story".
This book IMO is the best book about Elvis' life 1935-1970.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:22 pm

RMM is by far the best book that's been written by any member of MM. It's essential if you want to know about the man. There are some people who dislike the book because it's brutally honest but there are always people that can't take the truth and try to bury they heads in the sand. If you're like that skip this book. Otherwise just enjoy it like I did!

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:30 pm

Marko wrote:RMM is by far the best book that's been written by any member of MM. It's essential if you want to know about the man. There are some people who dislike the book because it's brutally honest but there are always people that can't take the truth and try to bury they heads in the sand. If you're like that skip this book. Otherwise just enjoy it like I did!

Disliking this book has NOTHING to do with the negative things written in it but everything about betraying Elvis' trust and friendship.

I pity anybody who does not know what FRIENDSHIP means.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:36 pm

And the truth shall set you free.

If you can't take the heath stay out of the kitchen. ;)

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:15 pm

Was being close friends with Elvis an ordinary friendship? Heck some of the people couldn't even tell the truth to his face. I think even though I have read RMM and other books, I still have a solid understanding of what real friendship means.

Following this thought, who hasn't betrayed Elvis trust and love? Almost everybody has made a buck out of the relationship. Be it positive or negative. Starting with his uncle, nurse, cook, stepmother. And even though some people might have published white washed books, doesn't that mean betrayal just the same? I mean when Elvis was alive, he didn't want anybody telling private stories to the public. Negative, positive. If you were caught talking to the press you were out of the loop. And the way I see it, you don't have to publish a book to make use of the friendship. What about interviews, Q&A sessions with fans, basically putting Elvis on the resume....

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:16 pm

There is a difference between making money off a relationship with Elvis or telling private stories.
There is a difference between telling anecdotes or telling private stories.
Friends do not tell private things to third parties for whatever reason unless they are no longer regarded as a friend by the person they gossip about and therefore do it only to get even.
I could not care less if anybody tell anecdotes and makes a million dolars in the process. But I object to anybody telling private stories about Elvis and still consider himself/herself a "friend".
Like Elvis said in the New York Press Conference, June 9, 1972:
"I am just an entertainer. I'd like to keep my personal views to myself."

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:21 pm

I think that we all know that EP was a very private person, that's a given. That's why it sickens me that his so-called 'friends" have written books about him, good and bad. Here's a thought, since your employer passed away, go find another job!

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:47 pm

I enjoyed the book , what I didn't like was Lamar's interpretation of the truth on some stories, F'rinstance (if I remember correctly), Lamar says that Elvis threw himself onto Gladys' coffin screaming and crying, whereas Billy refutes this by saying Elvis didn't do that he had more class than that and on more than one occasion Billy says "That'll be one of Lamar's stories".

Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:01 pm

In all honesty, I'd have to say that it was worth the read. You have to take some things with a grain of salt and consider the source. I'm sure by and large when you cut through some of the crap it gives a fairly accurate account of Elvis the person. I mean from everything I read about Elvis personally, this guy [Elvis] was a prick to his friends. There is obviously a lot of bitterness there. But at the same time, who could Elvis Presley really consider to be his friend rather than just an employee. Some of the things they discuss really don't need to be but there are details of Elvis' life that are quite facinating and interesting to hear from those actually present at the time.
My opinion is... you should read this book but while you're reading it, remember who wrote it.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:34 pm

Liverbobs wrote:I enjoyed the book , what I didn't like was Lamar's interpretation of the truth on some stories, F'rinstance (if I remember correctly), Lamar says that Elvis threw himself onto Gladys' coffin screaming and crying, whereas Billy refutes this by saying Elvis didn't do that he had more class than that and on more than one occasion Billy says "That'll be one of Lamar's stories".

That's the great thing about this book. They each get to tell they own view about things. It's a common thing that when people tell about the same incident they can have a totally different view of things. Happens all the time and also one must remember that this books discusses about things that took place 40 years before it was written so I would be more worried if they would all remember things excatly the same. They have also different opinions about certain things. It's a good thing and brings more credibilty to the story.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:14 pm

All in all, for me this is the best Elvis book ever. Infact i bought two copies to give as Xmas gifts a couple of weeks ago.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:39 pm

I liked the book a great deal.

Yes,I was shocked by some of it........learned things I probably would be better off not knowing.......but all told, an essential read.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:48 am

EIN (http://www.elvisinfonet.com) has a detailed review of the re-print of the book. ElvisBookResearch and others have ranked it among the Top 10 Elvis books of all-time.

John

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:27 am

I enjoyed reading the book. It was a revelation. I am waiting for the paperback edition to come out soon. I read a library copy and then tried to purchase it, but it was enormously expensive. At amazon, you can pre-order at about $10 plus S&H. Is this against the rules? Probably. I am off to the start of a terrible 2006!
sue

Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:21 pm

Anybody who likes this book and Lamar Fike's stories should buy Albert Goldman's book on Elvis based on Lamar Fike's stories.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:39 pm

Luuk wrote:Anybody who likes this book and Lamar Fike's stories should buy Albert Goldman's book on Elvis based on Lamar Fike's stories.

No, they shouldn't. Goldman's book is shite. If you want to know the real story without Goldman's twisted view buy RMM.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:50 pm

Marko wrote:
Luuk wrote:Anybody who likes this book and Lamar Fike's stories should buy Albert Goldman's book on Elvis based on Lamar Fike's stories.

No, they shouldn't. Goldman's book is shite. If you want to know the real story without Goldman's twisted view buy RMM.

Both books have the same source yet one is great and the other one sh*t?
Elvis fans never cease to amaze me.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:00 pm

Luuk wrote:Both books have the same source yet one is great and the other one sh*t?

Albert Goldman had his own view that he wanted to present. Lamar helped him in the research but the book is written by Goldman and not Lamar. Besides a lot of the facts in the Goldman book are in fact correct (although there are some clear erros). It is his attitude and opinions and representing opinions as facts that has been critisised the most.

RMM is the story as told by Lamar, Billy and Marty themselfs and actually in some cases they correct some of Goldmans claims.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:59 pm

Marko wrote:
Luuk wrote:Both books have the same source yet one is great and the other one sh*t?

Albert Goldman had his own view that he wanted to present. Lamar helped him in the research but the book is written by Goldman and not Lamar. Besides a lot of the facts in the Goldman book are in fact correct (although there are some clear erros). It is his attitude and opinions and representing opinions as facts that has been critisised the most.

RMM is the story as told by Lamar, Billy and Marty themselfs and actually in some cases they correct some of Goldmans claims.

They even correct eachother! They were all there, they claim, but remember things very different. Very, very, very different!
If it had been a court case and they would contradict eachother that much, there would be no conviction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd gladly have these 3 as witnesses when I kill someone and want to walk away free.
#1. The smoking gun was in his right hand.
#2. No, it was in his left hand.
#3. It was a knife.