All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Question in regards to the Lack of Jumpsuits by 1977 ...

Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:49 am

Since the only Jumpsuit that seemed to fit Elvis was the Sundial suit in 77...couldn't the designers just take the measurements from that suit in order to create new costumes other than the Sundial one usually used on those tours since Elvis didn't want to be bothered for fittings by 1977 ?

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:31 am

Yes, or the King Of Spades, but I think they did do this.

The lack of suits could have indicated other reasons other than Elvis didn't have any new ones because he didn't want to be fitted, as i don't think he had been for years.

A new suit was made in 1977, Elvis tried it on the day before he died but it was too tight - or he was too big - and it went back for adjustments, I think this was going to be used for the opening performance of the new showroom in Las Vegas, unles another suit was yet top be designed for that.

Also, with them costing a lot of money, why would Elvis necessarily need to increase the amount he already had at the same rate ? There were hardly any new suits at all in 1976 either. Actually, was there a new suit in 76 ? One of the bicentennial ones was used at the end of 75.

The best guy to ask on suits is Ger Rijff :D

That's an on site in joke, please don't ask him :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:42 am

Steve_M wrote: I think this was going to be used for the opening performance of the new showroom in Las Vegas, unles another suit was yet top be designed for that.

He was going to do Vegas again in 1977?

Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:03 pm

Steve_M wrote:A new suit was made in 1977, Elvis tried it on the day before he died but it was too tight - or he was too big - and it went back for adjustments, I think this was going to be used for the opening performance of the new showroom in Las Vegas, unles another suit was yet top be designed for that.

If I'm not mistaken Steve I think this is the suit you are talking about...
The obvious reason for Elvis not having a whole lot of suits made during this period probably did have to do with his weight,...just an opinion of course......

At the same time who knows what the future would of held.....There is a good chance if Elvis would have lived the junpsuits soon would have become a thing of the past for him I'm sure, especially once he entered the 80's...but again just another opinion.

PEP 8)

Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:03 pm

Elvis was booked by the Hilton for the opening of the latest addition of their hotel resort in october 1977.

I guess he didn't care about the suits anymore. By 1977 he definitely had lost interest. When he wasn't stoned or bored the seemed to have mentioned that he was going to chance certain things, that he wanted to update his programme and that he wanted new suits to be made but he didn't make any steps in this direction. He just wore the same suit over and over again. He just didn't give a damn.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:10 pm

dl wrote:I guess he didn't care about the suits anymore. By 1977 he definitely had lost interest. When he wasn't stoned or bored the seemed to have mentioned that he was going to chance certain things, that he wanted to update his programme and that he wanted new suits to be made but he didn't make any steps in this direction. He just wore the same suit over and over again. He just didn't give a damn.

dl you hit another nail there and are certainly adding to the reality of things as they were.

The excitement was gone.....and the jumpsuits certainly appeared to have had there day.....

PEP 8)

Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:14 pm

That's the suit PEP.

Yes, the Mo' Ali fight was put on instead of the opening night show at the new showroom.

The reason there was no early engagement in 77 in Vegas is because the Hilton wanted to "save" his exposure in the state until the opening, or so they said.

The Pizza Sundial suit that Elvis wore almost exclusively in 77 was an old one as well having first been worn in 1974 and also the same for the King Of Spades. Whether those were the only two suits that had been "adjusted" or not I have no idea.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:25 pm

I guess they were adjusted to Elvis weight....

Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:33 pm

Yeah, or more specifically his size, but were they adjusted at all and was there any others that were adjusted in the same way ?

It's not something i'm aware of Bill Belew commenting on, or even the great jumpsuit afficianado Ger Rijff ( :lol: ), but as far as BB goes he always seems to be asked lame questions, though no one has yet gotten around to asking him if how many times he tried to check Elvis' inside leg measurement.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:21 pm

As for that suit, I'm glad he never got around to wear it in public...
I think it is horrendous, and it reminds me of one of those pathetic impersonators. A huuuuge step back from the standard to which his suits had become. If a change should come, I think that the plainer two-pieces from early -75 or the shirt/pants combo of -72 could represent a great interim period until what could have been his style in the eighties. Sadly, we'll never know.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:26 pm

You are right, that suit doesn't look too well. I guess he should have worn just black two piece suits like the ones he hade in Vegas in 1975, but without that ornaments. Just a plain black suit with a high collar.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:58 pm

dl wrote:Elvis was booked by the Hilton for the opening of the latest addition of their hotel resort in october 1977.

I guess he didn't care about the suits anymore. By 1977 he definitely had lost interest.
He just didn't give a damn.

Exactly..he just was fed up..

Question in regard

Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:07 pm

... NO! No more bad jokes on jumpsuits from me, lads! Im a reborn fan, since last night, after having watched Elvis By The Presleys on TV... That good ol Santa has lead me back on that road leading to the City of Light, Las Vegas! " Thou, who pulls up the shades, and let the Light shine in thou eyes, will find the way home..." Aaron 2 , chapter 1, verse 4.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:50 pm

Heard you were not feeling well Ger. But for you to start liking Elvis in his Italian stretch gear is something else.

Please get well soon, I hope you make a full revcovery :wink:

Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:45 pm

He seemed to lose interest in the jumpsuits in those later months.

But didn't seem interested in their replacement !

Had he lived, and regained his health, I feel sure he would have soon opted for a complete change in his stage presentation, including the outfits.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:48 am

What a freaking paisley nightmare that jumpsuit is :P

Absolutely horrendous.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:09 am

but it would have looked better in use with the desired effect of the lighting.

Maybe Elvis was being kind when he said it was too tight, maybe it was okay in size but he didn't want to say that felt he looked like a right queen in it.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:02 am

It is hard to imagine Elvis wearing the jumpsuits as the 80s got closer in view. It is interesting to guess what his stage presentation would have consisted of wardrobe-wise. One can also assume that a lot of changes could have occurred had he lived. If he continued to abuse drugs at the rate he was, it is a mute point because he would have inevitably passed away. However, if for some miracle he did seak treatment and was clean, many changes could have been in store. 77 was a trainwreck, it is hard to see how the current state of his career could have continued. Would he have toured over seas finally? Probably, especially considering Parker had contacted Peter Grant to discuss the possibility of his assistance in the matter. A new manager? Possibly, Hookstraten certainly was willing to help with this. Any number of major managers of the era could have reinvented his career with regard to material to record, touring, and possibly acting. Parker was out of cards to play by 1977, especially with Elvis in his condition. He was going down in flames. He could still sell out arenas in small and middle markets, but that is all he had left.

But, back to the topic at hand, while the proposed "new" suit for the 1977 Vegas gig looks pretty bad, it couldn't have been anymore unflattering as the famous sundial suit. His jumpsuits got worse and worse and with him carrying so much weight, they only increased the perception that he was fat. If he insisted on some sort of jumpsuit, at least the 2-piece suits from his 1975 Vegas run were more presentable. Just an opinion....

Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:11 am

I don't particularly like that suit either...but maybe, just maybe some of us don't like it because we'd never seen Elvis in it. Would the Sundial suit or the blue & white ones from '76 look nearly as good if Elvis had never actually worn them? I guess we'll never know for sure.

As far as the jumpsuits sizes, I remember hearing somewhere that Elvis often had two or three of a suit in different sizes, so that no matter if he'd gained or lost weight on a tour or Vegas run, he'd have a suit that fit. That makes sense to me. Looking at the December 76 tour, in almost every picture I've seen, the suits look too big for him, baggy and loose. It was also the slimmest he was all year.

Axe

Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:47 pm

I guess Elvis wanted to make a few changes. The jumpsuit differs quite a bit from the designs Elvis has used the past years. I don't like it, but maybe Elvis had a different taste then most of us have. In the Memphis Mafia book it is stated, that Elvis was about to make some changes regarding the people he surrounded himself with. Some where about to be fired. But if Elvis really would have done it is doubtful, because he seems to have told a lot of things and done completely different things. But he seemed to have been fed up with quite a lot.

Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:45 pm

PEP wrote:
Steve_M wrote:A new suit was made in 1977, Elvis tried it on the day before he died but it was too tight - or he was too big - and it went back for adjustments, I think this was going to be used for the opening performance of the new showroom in Las Vegas, unles another suit was yet top be designed for that.

If I'm not mistaken Steve I think this is the suit you are talking about...
The obvious reason for Elvis not having a whole lot of suits made during this period probably did have to do with his weight,...just an opinion of course......

At the same time who knows what the future would of held.....There is a good chance if Elvis would have lived the junpsuits soon would have become a thing of the past for him I'm sure, especially once he entered the 80's...but again just another opinion.

PEP 8)

They just kept getting uglier and uglier, didn't they? Almost clownlike.
spike

Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:11 pm

Absolutely..I think Elvis was really fed up with these suits ..7 or 8 years were enough..that`s why he didn`t care anymore..
The suits had done their job..

Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:11 am

As with any of EP's jumpsuits, ........ only EP could have worn them & pulled it off.

I'm sure he would have looked fine had he had a chance to wear the above. With a laser mock-up prototype in the works, ........... some surface indications point away from EP getting tired of the jumpsuit-look.

Then again, ......... it is quite possible that EP (in keeping with his usual manner of dealing with issues - by avoiding them directly) was looking for a way to get away from the jumpsuits by not cooperating with measurements & not getting involved with the development of "new" ones. (He also made some private derisive comments after trying one out in '77).

I lean towards the latter, personally.

N8
... just a fan ....

Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:41 am

Steve I didn't read every post after yours so if I am repeating I apologize. To answer your question, I believe the Flame suit in the fall was a new suit to 1976. I am not an expert on suits but I can't recall him wearing that one before that time.

As far as the suits getting worse I don't agree.. All throughout the 70's and all the suits, I liked some of them and some I don't like. There is no pattern that I can see that they got worse as time went on. I do like the Sundial suit. I think its pretty cool. The king of spades suit is not over the top either. Nice suit.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:18 am

I tend to agree with the opinion that Elvis didn't seem to care about much besides performing for his fans at the end... He might have been just as happy wearing his jogging suit on stage in 1977.

I never cared much for the mexican sundial suit...if he had to wear only one , I would have preferred the White Blackbird Jumpsuit that he wore for his New Year's Concert in Pittsburgh ..I think it was a more tasteful design and would have been a better choice for his CBS TV Special.

Would appreciate if one of the Elvis experts on this board could supply the information regarding which Jumpsuit was the last one to be premiered by Elvis?