Post Here All Reviews Of Bootleg CD's/LP's etc.

And Then The Lights Went Down

Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:02 am

This is an audience recording (and not bad sounding) from the closing show in Lake Tahoe on May 9, 1976. This had to be the absolute longest show that Elvis ever did. I have heard hundreds of shows and I have never heard one longer than the 2 hours he performed on this night. Rather than describe the entire show, I'll mention some of the highs and lows of the performance.

Fans of J.D. Sumner's dive bombing sounds will love this show because during the I Got A Woman / Amen medley, J.D. does the dive bomb not once, not twice, but three times. :roll:

This is a show that would be very entertaining if you were a member of the audience who has not heard hundreds of shows like we have 29 years later. However, sitting and listening to it through headphones like I do, makes you glad that there were a few highlights to the show in which I will mention later. There is much banter and joking with the audience. More so that the average 1976 show. However, this is closing night and Elvis acted as if he did not want to leave the stage. Kathy Westmoreland gets a big round of applause for her version of My Heavenly Father (you can hear audience members remarking how beautiful the song is) and Sherrill Nielson sings Danny Boy. Elvis then tells him to do another one and he performs Funny How Time Slips Away, which is quite different from his boss' version.

Elvis asks how many people in the audience has a birthday today. Two women apparently do and Elvis has them come on stage and leads the audience in singing Happy Birthday to them. He also sings the Mickey Mouse March. He is in a very good mood and it shows all the way through the entire performance. He talks about Joan Blackman from Blue Hawaii and tells about how they had to shoot the scene twice while performing the Hawaiian Wedding Song because of a cable across the water that almost killed him. He then talks about Ann Margaret in Viva Las Vegas, saying that he thought he was married to her until 2 years later when he realized he wasn't. The same way he talked about Joan Blackman during the Rapid City show over a year later. He performed all of the usual 1976 songs and you can tell by the applause that he received a standing ovation after performing America, The Beautiful. He received many requests from the audience that included King Creole (which he didn't do.)
However, he did do a few of them. Return To Sender, Young And Beautiful, Help Me and The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (which he dedicated to Linda.) He also played the guitar and sang That's All Right and Blue Christmas. He performed Hurt all the way through twice, even though he never went for the higher octave on either time. He made up for it when he sang How Great Thou Art. He performed the last verse twice and each time went as high as his voice would allow. He received another standing ovation for the song.

Again, a very entertaining show for those in attendance that night. As far as the CD is concerned, the rare songs are performed nicely and he is in a great mood for 2 full hours. You can decide for yourself if you would want to pick this up or not. As for me, I'm glad to have it in my collection. However, it is something that I will not go out of my way to listen to again. I've had it for years and have only listened to it twice.

Below is the tracklist for this show.

Lake Tahoe. May 9, 1976 Closing Show (10.00 pm).

TRACKLIST
2001 Theme / See See Rider / I Got A Woman - Amen / Love Me / If You Love Me / You Gave Me A Mountain / All Shook Up / Teddy Bear - Don't Be Cruel / Blue Suede Shoes / Return To Sender / Heartbreak Hotel / Hawaiian Wedding Song / America The Beautiful / intro: Early Morning Rain - What'd I Say / Johnny B. Goode - Love Letters - School Days / Young And Beautiful / That's All Right / Blue Christmas / Hurt / Hound Dog / Micky Mouse Club Song / Happy Birthday To You / Heavenly Father (By K. Westmoreland ) / Love Me Tender / Danny Boy ( By S. Nielsen) / Funny How Time Slips Away ( By S. Nielsen ) / Burning Love / Help Me / The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face / Jailhouse Rock / One Night / How Great Thou Art / Can't Help Falling In Love

Elvis wore the Aztec suit for this show.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:45 pm

:lol: good review..... HOWEVER from memory this release isn't complete and some songs on this arn't running for as long as they really did in the complete show, however one can know that we would NEVER get this complete (Even in FTD had the show) because of all the songs they would have to 'cut' from Sean & Kathy! it's not his best ever show, but certainly 'good' one and the longest ever!!

Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:14 am

To me this release shows that even the "fat and old" Elvis could do a great show. If he felt like it, he could still bring the house down. And on this evening he definitely did!

Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:28 pm

Nice review, Rob. Two weeks ago, I received "Live At The Lakeside" which features another show from this engagement. It's a quite dull and sloppy show in my opinion. Is this closing show better? I guess the rarities alone makes it worthwile... Hopefully FTD will include them if they ever release a show from this engagement.

Keith Richards, Jr.

re TAHOE CD

Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:13 pm

just to let ya know that this was sucesfully recorded on soundboard , and all the tracks , complete show was recorded and it has great sound, I have a copy of the soundboard cassette, it was given to me by SHERIFF, I'm sure you will be seing this released soon by CROWN LABEL.,REMEMBERTHEM?

Re: re TAHOE CD

Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:41 am

the colonel wrote:I have a copy of the soundboard cassette

Do you also have The Pied Piper Of Cleveland which includes the footage that supposedly wasn't fimed?

Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:38 am

It's on the same tape, that contains the complete Little Rock performance filmed in color in multi-angle and with dts sound.

Re: re TAHOE CD

Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:45 pm

Do you also have The Pied Piper Of Cleveland which includes the footage that supposedly wasn't fimed?

Yes, I have that footage Rob. It's at the end of my tape of both shows in Uniondale, NY on July 19,1975 (which are in perfect stereo btw)
Last edited by Big Boss Man on Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:31 pm

From Little Rock in the 50´s I have all the tour at home. Each concert was filmed with multi angle and in color. Note for dl: we must have the same source.

During "Only You" number J.D Sumner is in the audience and Elvis ask him to come on stage. They made a beautiful duet!

Shame that few fans in the world have seen this :cry:

Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:09 pm

Renan -

You wrote:
During "Only You" number J.D Sumner is in the audience and Elvis ask him to come on stage. They made a beautiful duet!

Was this the very first time the 'airplane' routine was performed ?

Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:59 pm

No, they didn´t try this in 1956...unfortunately.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:37 pm

They tried an airplane - routine in 1956 and used real airplaines, wich was way too expensive. It took nearly fifteen years until they discovered that JD could do the sound effects much cheaper!

To Renan: If the 1976 Graceland - Sessions are on your dvd - set, we have the same source (unfortunatly "Hurt" is missing on my dvd, because Elvis had the film destroyed, because he wantet to have a complete version of "America" on the film).

Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:34 pm

dl wrote:They tried an airplane - routine in 1956 and used real airplaines, wich was way too expensive. It took nearly fifteen years until they discovered that JD could do the sound effects much cheaper!

To Renan: If the 1976 Graceland - Sessions are on your dvd - set, we have the same source (unfortunatly "Hurt" is missing on my dvd, because Elvis had the film destroyed, because he wantet to have a complete version of "America" on the film).

Yes, America is cut in my footage. Probably the same source used on FTD.
Feeling is well rehearsed but what really makes me laugh is when Elvis is singing the Italian version of Moody Blue! So funny. I have to comment here the X - rated version of Hurt, it is simply great!

What I most like is the bonus. We have 30 minutes of the rehearsals from MSG and most of December 1973 sessions filmed by MGM.
Promised Land is awesome but the highlight is Love Song Of The Year!!
What a song and this is filmed with multi angle. Thinking About You is terrific too.....

Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:00 am

Renan wrote:
dl wrote:They tried an airplane - routine in 1956 and used real airplaines, wich was way too expensive. It took nearly fifteen years until they discovered that JD could do the sound effects much cheaper!

Yes, America is cut in my footage. Probably the same source used on FTD.
Feeling is well rehearsed but what really makes me laugh is when Elvis is singing the Italian version of Moody Blue! So funny. I have to comment here the X - rated version of Hurt, it is simply great!

What I most like is the bonus. We have 30 minutes of the rehearsals from MSG and most of December 1973 sessions filmed by MGM.
Promised Land is awesome but the highlight is Love Song Of The Year!!
What a song and this is filmed with multi angle. Thinking About You is terrific too.....

You guys do realize of course, that there are actually people who are believing this and you will probably be receiving PM's from people begging you to burn them a copy (if you haven't already.)

Believe me, it happens.

re the lights went down

Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:11 pm

well, be assured that the COMPLETE SHOW will be transferred to cd on the CROWN LABEL, I'm not surprised at the reaction and jealously from second rate so called fans who can only obtain CD'S that other REAL FANS like me HAVE SUPPLIED, especially fans who have nothing of value, or rarity in their so called collections. And who needs dull and shitty revue of an audience rec/ cd, that was put on album some 18 years ago. What a real fan this guy is eh

Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:06 pm

Is somebodys ego going through the roof?

:smt021
Last edited by dl on Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: re the lights went down

Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:48 pm

the colonel wrote:well, be assured that the COMPLETE SHOW will be transferred to cd on the CROWN LABEL, I'm not surprised at the reaction and jealously from second rate so called fans who can only obtain CD'S that other REAL FANS like me HAVE SUPPLIED, especially fans who have nothing of value, or rarity in their so called collections. And who needs dull and shitty revue of an audience rec/ cd, that was put on album some 18 years ago. What a real fan this guy is eh

Blah, blah, blah....

Get a life.

Joern

re the lights went down

Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:54 pm

again a perfect example.

Re: re the lights went down

Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:52 am

the colonel wrote:well, be assured that the COMPLETE SHOW will be transferred to cd on the CROWN LABEL, I'm not surprised at the reaction and jealously from second rate so called fans who can only obtain CD'S that other REAL FANS like me HAVE SUPPLIED, especially fans who have nothing of value, or rarity in their so called collections. And who needs dull and shitty revue of an audience rec/ cd, that was put on album some 18 years ago. What a real fan this guy is eh

A prime example of what results from brothers and sisters mating.

RE ROB

Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:13 pm

YES WELL, this from a guy who fantasiszes about 90 year old actresses, hmmmmm......... total xxx, probably a pencil pusher with a gigantic belly and the girth to go with it. Aso called expert on rehashed material, nothing original eh?

[color=red][size=9]Post edited for offensive term.[/size][/color]

Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:58 pm

@ Colonel:

You act like you've fallen from a tree...

Joern

Re: RE ROB

Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:05 am

colonel dipshit wrote:YES WELL, this from a guy who fantasiszes (sory but I cante aven spael itt) about 90 year old actresses

Your mother is not that old and she never mentioned she was an actress.

Look peckergnat, I don't know what your problem is, but you already have people not caring about anything you have to say because of your "look at me, I'm a dumbass" attitude.

Just because I post a review on here does not mean I just now heard the show. I heard this show many years ago. However, there are a lot of new collectors on here who are interested to know about certain CD's they are thinking about buying. If I can help them to make a decision, I will. Trust me when I say that I have no doubt that I have more original material in my collection than you will ever see.

It's pretty obvious that people think you are an idiot and it won't be long before you'll be booted out of here.

Now, go back to your pathetic little one room trailer and pull the wings off of some more flies.

I've wasted enough time on you already so I'm finished. Take some advice though. You also might want to think about getting "hooked on phonics" or better yet, just stop posting entirely. Each time you post, you just make yourself look dumber.

"eh?"
Last edited by Rob on Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:19 am

Come on, Rob. Don't be so rough on him. It's not his fault. He dosn't know better (mabe they are all that way in his family). I think it's good to describe an older release and although I have it in my collection for quite some time, it's always interesting to hear the opinion from other fans.

re rob

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:25 pm

well, well, As i said jealousy is a very bad quality, and by the way you bin upstairs in E.P.'S ROOM too long, STOP SNIFFIN his shorts, and CHARLIES, oh i get it you and CHARLIE are both up there, EH..HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

rob

Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:16 pm

by the way , i had your mom in my backseat and she broke the damn thing that bitch was just to FAT, SEE YA!