All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

SUN RECORDS EXPLORED BY THE DUTCH AS EARLY AS 1969 !!!

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:51 pm

... In a topic about Sun Records and drummer Johnny Bernero,our American friend Graceland Gardener, mentioned Elvis early days with Sun did not get the attention till after Elvis his death. Wrong! As early as back in 1969, both Dutch and UK fans of Elvis, and 50s rock n roll in general, traveled to Memphis and Nashville to explore the early days. They interviewed Scotty, DJ Bob Neal Stan Kesler a.o . Dont know if they got hold of Sam, but they did visit his brother Tom in his Record shop in Memphis. It was there the Dutch found the legendary My Babys Gone acetate and a tape containing the outtakes to Blue Moon of Kentucky, I Dont Care if, etc!!! These appeared on two of the very first Elvis boots : Good Rockin Tonight and Please Release Me. When it comes to boots, leave it to the Dutch! These guys went back to the South several more times in the years that followed and had their stories and reports printed in Rockville magazine. All the information on Elvis at Sun saw its way into The Hillbilly Cat booklet by Hans Langbroek. A groundbeaking piece of research back in the 70s! And a major influence on the future doings of Ernst, Guralnick, and me. Need I say more?!

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:03 pm

Thanks for this interesting insight.
Fans like me who where not around in the 70's must rely on information like this and I really do appreciate people like you passing it along.

Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:13 pm

Who started all the rumors about Uncle Pen ect? I think Hans claimed he heard it, right?

Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:33 pm

Amen to the Dutch fans, they´ve always put that extra effort on their products. I don´t think we would have had either Baxter or Bilko if it wasn´t for them.
Now Mr Rijff, did you locate that copy of "Down At The End Of Lonely Street" you promised me to search for back in 1996? Haha, probably not.
How about "Inside GI Blues",

Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:41 pm

... Yes, I believe it was he... Theres never been found any proof to the Uncle Pen story, as far as I know? Ive known Hans since the late 60s, but lost contact in recent years, Hans [ like Ernst] is a man of facts, and I feel, he would never ever make up such a story to "show off" . The same I can say about his close friend Adri Sturm, who joined Hans on these trips to the South . And I dont remember ever having seen mention of Pen in connection with Elvis prior to Hans... The mystery continues...

Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:46 pm

...Down at the end?... 9 years ago ?! Sorry!...

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:06 pm

... Bilko?... Baxter?... 2001... Laurel... Live Archives...and on it goes... Yes, right. Inside G.I. Blues? I LOVE to do such a photo-book, but there wont be enough buyers, Im afraid? You can see for yourself on this mb, almost all 70s fans. But hey! Never give up hope, Ive lost bags of money before by doing Elvis projects. but still felt good afterwards! Hup Two- Three Four!

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:17 pm

I am a fan of all decades.
Am I in for trouble now?

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:33 pm

Yes Ger, please continue... Some projects must have done well, as many of your books are very hard to find! By the way I got all of them and will keep collecting if you continue...

Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:24 pm

I have all your books too Ger! Even Echoes Of The Past!

My favorites are: - Memphis Lonesome
-The Cool King
- Fire In The Sun

And then those "Inside" books.. if there are a couple of new Elvis books out , but i don't have the money to buy them all at once , i will always buy the one with the most 50's pictures in it!

My All time favorite book is: Elvis Golden Reflections!! 1956.

Dennis.

Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:37 pm

Bless you my son. Im really damn good, if I say so myself!... heh, heh...

Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:46 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D :D :D .

Mr. Rijff count on me to buy at least one book if you are not sure to publish Inside G.I.Blues, it should be a winner 8)!! . By the way if you don´t have enough pictures for such a book, somebody is selling on ebay almost 30 unreleased G.I.Blues pictures that includes: candids, recording sessions, in between takes etc, please take a look: :idea:. Bye for now. :wink: :wink: :wink: .

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!

sun

Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:47 pm

have to agree with you dennisdee, fire in the sun is by far one of the best books to have hit us bar none, the cool king comes in a close second but fire is always a joy to look at, for me elvis was great vocally 56-63 and 69-74, hey mr ger any new ones in the pipeline??

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:04 pm

Let's not forget that the famous 'Sun Collection' LP was out before Elvis died - and it was an English release before it came out in the US with that godamn awful sleeve with a '68 special-type wiggling Elvis!
The work of European fans in digging back to the Sun period should never be forgotten about. They were great times - before everyone became an 'expert' like they are today. We all knew a lot less back then and they were more innocent times, but they were great times and very exciting. These days a new release is posted on the internet months in advance and the whole thing is analyzed by fans before it's even out! By the time it does come out it's old hat and eveyone's moved on to the next release. It wasn't always like that, and things were much better back then. Oh my god, I'm getting old...

Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:41 pm

The Uncle Penn rumor started(I believe) with an Elvis songbook(1950s) that had that title and some others. By the way Mr. Longhair, I have the Long Lonely Highway book I bought in 1988. Excellent 50s scrapbook.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:00 am

I remember hearing a story that Hans Langbroek actually gave Elvis a copy of 'My Baby's Gone' in Vegas in 1971. Is that right, Ger?

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:48 am

And another thing, Ger. When are you going to do an 'Inside Love Me Tender'?

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:54 am

Then an inside 'Clambake'. (Bump, bump, bumpity bump!)

Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:37 am

'Inside Frankie & Johnny'?

Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:40 am

By the way I have that small booket by Hans and it is very interesting. Its a reprint, but still very hard to find. He describes in detail what "uncle Pen" sounded liked. He also decribes in detail what "my baby's gone" sounded like before it was ever heard by the masses. He writes, "so bluesy that voice". Many other tidbits there-in as well.

Re: SUN RECORDS EXPLORED BY THE DUTCH AS EARLY AS 1969 !!!

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:08 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... In a topic about Sun Records and drummer Johnny Bernero,our American friend Graceland Gardener, mentioned Elvis early days with Sun did not get the attention till after Elvis his death. Wrong! As early as back in 1969, both Dutch and UK fans of Elvis, and 50s rock n roll in general, traveled to Memphis and Nashville to explore the early days.

1969 ?

What took them so long?

Bill Black was already dead.
Dewey Phillips was already dead.
Steve Sholes was already dead.

Dead.

and it was some 14 years since the end of Elvis' presence at Sun,
and was a place changing owners by then.

- but a noble effort nonetheless.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:41 am

... GG, it wouldve been nice had your fellow Americans done some fieldwork themselfs, prior to the Europeans in 69... Am I right, or am I right?!

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:32 am

It seemed for a long time that most American fans were more interested in buying tacky Elvis-souveniers than researching Elvis's work. It looked like Elvis's work was more appreciated in Europe than in the US. Of course RCA's treatment of Elvis' recorded work was in a mess until a certain Dannish took over.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:39 am

Precisely,Mr. Tallhair,you put the finger on the spot.For most Europeans it was too expensive to even think about travelling to the USA.But we were anxious enough to do some research whenever we had the opportunity so we traded information and Elvis material as best we could in those early days of the 60's.

In the late 60's I came in contact with Dutch fans and heard the rumours that people were travelling to Memphis.This was something I had wished to do for a long time myself,but on account of education and getting a job I just had no possibility to do so.Frankly,I was penniless,because I was collecting all the records by Elvis and other 50's R n' R singers that I could lay my hands on.

My opportunity came in 1975.I went to Nashville,met Scotty and D.J.Fontana and went to the Shelby Singleton offices.Found out that the musicians had forgotten most details of what took place in the 50's.A direct quote from D.J. in the lobby of my hotel in Nashville :"You have told me things about my life I didn't know myself."I tend to believe him.Other people were mostly interested in earning a quick buck and could provide little information.I managed to get some records for my collection,so it was not completely wasted.And of course,I met two of my heroes who came to Europe several times during the next 30 years.

What happened in Memphis I'll tell about later.There's a chance a bit of it will be in a book next year.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:58 am

I agree too, Europeans are more in to details and facts. Although I've to say I got a lot of US friends who also see this as more important... but it has not always been like that. Sometime it seems like some americans would rather hear an impersonater sing "Elvis" in a wrong key, then hear another out take of an Elvis song. Again not all of them.