All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:27 pm

Rob wrote:
Hammer wrote:And I know for a fact that he never knew a girl called Sylvia


You are joking, right?

It was a joke attempt indeed :wink:

Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:28 pm

Whew! I feel so much better about you now.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:32 pm

Rob wrote:Hey! Just because he sang these songs doesn't mean that he has to actually live them and.......uh........everything else that Colin said.


Some of the songtitles of the songs I sing are 'Sex Starved' and better yet 'Haemmorrhoid Rock'...........I surely hope you don't have to actually experience every BS you sing :wink:

Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:23 pm

Rob wrote:
ColinB wrote:Hey, lighten up guys !

When a performer sings a song, they are like an actor playing a role.

The lyrics don't have to apply to them personally !

Elvis can sing about 'she took my small baby boy' and 'I was raised on rock'

These are songs, sung for their entertainment value, not autobiographical statements.


Believe it or not, I know all of this. My post was intended to be a joke.


I knew that !

Actually, Rob, it wasn't you I was getting at.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:49 pm

elvis1977br wrote:1 - CONFIDENCE !!!
2- Queniie...
3-Old MC
4- Yoga is
5- He´s your uncle...


Exactly my list....and and on the sixth place "ITO EATS"

Regards Björn

Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:23 pm

Rob wrote:Whew! I feel so much better about you now.


:lol: Now I'm all chipper as well :wink:

Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:44 pm

Hammer wrote:They could be nice guys, I don't know about that. I'm just not too fond of hippies and the hippie-movement and the Beales were much involved in that


I meant that no-talent entertainers might be nice guys, I didn't mean The Beatles - I don't think it's even relevant whether they were nice or not.

You're not fond of the hippie movement? Jeez, is that still an issue for you? Get over it - it was 40 years ago. They left a great book of songs - it'd be a shame for you not to enjoy the music because of some age-old cultural prejudice.

Jules

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:03 pm

I take pot-shots at the excesses of the '60s (and the self-involved
nostalgia of baby boomers like Jan Wenner of ROLLING STONE magazine
who tend to sleight '50s rock -and Elvis- plus their knee-jerk snobbism towards popular non-rock music ) but I still have to give
credit to the '60s rock or "hippies," if must... :lol: There was some great
music ("The Beatles, the Beards, etc...") :wink:

Good point, Jules.


At this point, getting on topic, I'm sort of glad Elvis recorded everything he
did. It happened. Learn to love it. :shock:

It's sort of like asking a parent about which kids she loves the most...
and the least...Even the mutts are "family" ...
:lol:



**************************************************

Another late add that I'm getting tired of hearing in the live imports:

"If You Love Me (Let Me Know)"

I'm fine with the album version and a few live versions, but wish
it hadn't been a staple live. Just too pedestrian.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:55 pm

Not even Elvis loved a lot of stuff he recorded. So why should we? He even wrote or spoke to people at RCA not to release Dominic.

Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:08 am

JLGB wrote:Not even Elvis loved a lot of stuff he recorded. So why should we? He even wrote or spoke to people at RCA not to release Dominic.


Cnversely, there were songs Elvis like that aren't faves of mine. "My Wish Came True" comes to mind.

Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:07 am

familyjules wrote:
Hammer wrote:They could be nice guys, I don't know about that. I'm just not too fond of hippies and the hippie-movement and the Beales were much involved in that


I meant that no-talent entertainers might be nice guys, I didn't mean The Beatles - I don't think it's even relevant whether they were nice or not.

You're not fond of the hippie movement? Jeez, is that still an issue for you? Get over it - it was 40 years ago. They left a great book of songs - it'd be a shame for you not to enjoy the music because of some age-old cultural prejudice.

Jules


They're still around and I dislike their general attitude and the fact that they mix music (which is one of the best things in life) with politics (which is one of the most awful things in life)
Jeroen

Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:06 pm

He should not have recorded about 80% of the movie-songs he did in the 60's. What a waste of talent. Just imagine the great records he could have made......

Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:14 pm

Hammer wrote:They're still around and I dislike their general attitude and the fact that they mix music (which is one of the best things in life) with politics (which is one of the most awful things in life)
Jeroen


Jeroen, all human life is politics!

Lyrics in song can embrace all aspects of human life. To limit that to the shallow and the ephemeral seems to me to be a great shame.

Why the need to compartmentalise life? It's all one experience.

How much of a hippie do I sound now? :lol:

Jules

Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:45 pm

familyjules wrote:
Hammer wrote:They're still around and I dislike their general attitude and the fact that they mix music (which is one of the best things in life) with politics (which is one of the most awful things in life)
Jeroen


Jeroen, all human life is politics!

Lyrics in song can embrace all aspects of human life. To limit that to the shallow and the ephemeral seems to me to be a great shame.

Why the need to compartmentalise life? It's all one experience.

How much of a hippie do I sound now? :lol:

Jules


:lol: :lol: :lol: Indeed you hippie! j/k!

I hope not everything in life is politics and I believe that a lot of music is about feelings, having fun, being crazy and true emotions....all things that have nothing to do with politics (damn that sounds pretty hippie as well) :wink:

Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:03 pm

Mike DK wrote:He should not have recorded about 80% of the movie-songs he did in the 60's. What a waste of talent. Just imagine the great records he could have made......


In a way I agree. BUT think of the talent he displayed in makeing even the worst of the drivel at least listenable. Anyone else would drowned.

Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:18 pm

Hammer wrote:I hope not everything in life is politics and I believe that a lot of music is about feelings, having fun, being crazy and true emotions....all things that have nothing to do with politics (damn that sounds pretty hippie as well) :wink:


Feelings, having fun and true emotions - well a lot of that would come under sexual politics! Heh.

Jules

Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:20 pm

familyjules wrote:
Hammer wrote:I hope not everything in life is politics and I believe that a lot of music is about feelings, having fun, being crazy and true emotions....all things that have nothing to do with politics (damn that sounds pretty hippie as well) :wink:


Feelings, having fun and true emotions - well a lot of that would come under sexual politics! Heh.

Jules


:lol: .......see now we're finally getting somewhere :wink:

Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:24 pm

Hammer wrote:
familyjules wrote:
Hammer wrote:I hope not everything in life is politics and I believe that a lot of music is about feelings, having fun, being crazy and true emotions....all things that have nothing to do with politics (damn that sounds pretty hippie as well) :wink:


Feelings, having fun and true emotions - well a lot of that would come under sexual politics! Heh.

Jules


:lol: .......see now we're finally getting somewhere :wink:


I think there was a British group from the 1960s who wrote a lot about sexual politics.....oh yes - The Beatles!

:lol:

Jules

Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:25 pm

familyjules wrote:
Hammer wrote:
familyjules wrote:
Hammer wrote:I hope not everything in life is politics and I believe that a lot of music is about feelings, having fun, being crazy and true emotions....all things that have nothing to do with politics (damn that sounds pretty hippie as well) :wink:


Feelings, having fun and true emotions - well a lot of that would come under sexual politics! Heh.

Jules


:lol: .......see now we're finally getting somewhere :wink:


I think there was a British group from the 1960s who wrote a lot about sexual politics.....oh yes - The Beatles!

:lol:

Jules


:lol: :lol: Damn.....you got me again!!!

Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:36 pm

Mike -

You wrote:
He should not have recorded about 80% of the movie-songs he did in the 60's.
What a waste of talent.
Just imagine the great records he could have made......


Hmmm.................

For me, he started going off the rails even before the 60's soundtracks took over.

The material selected for Pot Luck & Something For Everybody was becoming a bit 'middle-of-the-road' for old rockers like me.

After the promise of Elvis Is Back, which touched on many different musical genres, he seemed to settle for a rather bland repertoire on these, his last two studio albums before the film stuff got its stranglehold on his output.

Not rock, not blues, not even good commercial 'pop'.

Instead we got stuff like Kiss Me Quick and Gently - not really such bad songs but simply music without balls !

Whether his material would have toughened up with his next studio album we never found out; the soundtracks dominated for most of the 60's.

Right at the end of the decade, he started getting 'on message' again with things like Guitar Man, and with the '69 American Sound Studio session he was back at the top of his form.

Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:57 pm

Colin, you remind me of the original impression about some of those
early '60s sides, most of which I finally hear only years later.
(Growing up, I could tell some of those were going to be sort of lame
by the bland LP covers of the time, that is, the King minus his sideburns, and no longer as thin as 1960...)

Image
In time, sets like "From Nashville To Memphis" (the '60s box) have restored the lustre
of this brand of pop.
In fact, that one disc on there that covers this period was the one that introduced me to some of those tunes.
Image
I appreciate this poppy side of Elvis and I bet
Likethebike could stick up for these sides.
Image

Still, he did go awfully "pretty" there for awhile. And it was some of the
movie soundtracks that kept the "rocker" alive, relatively speaking.

Okay, what do you think, say, of "You'll Be Gone"?

I love it.

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:16 pm

ColinB wrote:Mike -

You wrote:
He should not have recorded about 80% of the movie-songs he did in the 60's.
What a waste of talent.
Just imagine the great records he could have made......


Hmmm.................

For me, he started going off the rails even before the 60's soundtracks took over.

The material selected for Pot Luck & Something For Everybody was becoming a bit 'middle-of-the-road' for old rockers like me.

After the promise of Elvis Is Back, which touched on many different musical genres, he seemed to settle for a rather bland repertoire on these, his last two studio albums before the film stuff got its stranglehold on his output.

Not rock, not blues, not even good commercial 'pop'.

Instead we got stuff like Kiss Me Quick and Gently - not really such bad songs but simply music without balls !

Whether his material would have toughened up with his next studio album we never found out; the soundtracks dominated for most of the 60's.

Right at the end of the decade, he started getting 'on message' again with things like Guitar Man, and with the '69 American Sound Studio session he was back at the top of his form.


Unfortunately Kiss Me Quick is probably the most well known song in Brazil. Not a bad song at all but when you see a fat impersonator using glasses, using jumpsuits and dancing like a mongol singing this song sometimes makes you want to cry :cry:

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:25 pm

Sounds bloody awful!
Image
Actually, I'm glad Elvis did pop numbers like that!

He had terrific range!

So embrace songs like "Heart of Rome" like so many of us do,
Colin! :D

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:47 pm

Greg -

You wrote:
Okay, what do you think, say, of "You'll Be Gone"?


It's one of the finest songs Elvis ever wrote [well, co-composed].

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:17 pm

ColinB wrote:
After the promise of Elvis Is Back, which touched on many different musical genres, he seemed to settle for a rather bland repertoire on these, his last two studio albums before the film stuff got its stranglehold on his output.

Not rock, not blues, not even good commercial 'pop'.

Instead we got stuff like Kiss Me Quick and Gently - not really such bad songs but simply music without balls !


I have to disagree with you Colin. There was plenty of good commercial pop and pop-rock on both singles and albums in the post EIB! period: His Latest Flame/Little Sister; Return to Sender; Good Luck Charm; She's Not You; Devil In Disguise; Witchcraft; Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello; King of the Whole Wide World; I Want You With Me; I Feel So Bad; Put The Blame On Me; Gonna Get Back Home Somehow; Night Rider; Such An Easy Question; Long Lonely Highway. There was also the many classy ballads of the period, particularly the Don Robertson tunes. While it's true the 'ballsiness' by & large disappeared in the early 60's, there were still some relatively tough tracks here & there such as Little Sister; I Want You With Me; I Feel So Bad and Witchcraft.
As for Gently, it's really just a re-write of Love Me Tender (and Elvis did LMT during his 'King of r&r heyday).
But Kiss Me Quick is pretty bland!