All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:04 pm

For me it's the first Elvis album I ever bought - Live At Madison Square Garden. Love that jumpsuit he's wearing, plus the pose w/ the guitar - an Elvis classic.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:55 pm

Okay, nice start, folks. Here are most if not all of the albums mentioned
so far, except for those already depicted. I had to guess
on a couple, like the "40 Greatest.." and '73 "Elvis" one.

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:00 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:For me it's the first Elvis album I ever bought - Live At Madison Square Garden. Love that jumpsuit he's wearing, plus the pose w/ the guitar - an Elvis classic.

Amen to that, BBM! That cover is a very close #2 for me...

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:27 pm

50,000,000 Elvis fans... has to right at the top! Classic shot! I also love King Creole album cover. Also Pure Gold from '75, is a fav of mine. Also love ROR album cover... too bad the album itself is not as good as the cover(which was rare).

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:39 pm

JEFF d wrote:50,000,000 Elvis fans... has to right at the top! Classic shot! JEFF d
Elvis fan

Very true, Jeff. That cover has also been "covered" by Bon Jovi and Rod Stewart, as I recall. There may have been others, as well. In fact, Beavis and Butthead appeared in that form on a cover of Rolling Stone a few years ago.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:21 pm

This is the original cover of 'Elvis' 40 Greatest' released in 1974 on the Arcade label. This will bring back memories for all Brits late 30's and over! :D

Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:53 pm

Thanks! Thats the blue one with yellow Elvis letters.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:55 pm

My first Elvis 10" was the French "Good Rockin' Tonight" (second pressing).
It's a beauty :!:

Another beauty:

The best bootlegcover ever:

Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:13 pm

1. from memphis to vegas
2. thats the way it is
3. msg
4.elvis in hollywood

Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:21 am

JEFF d wrote:50,000,000 Elvis fans... has to right at the top! Classic shot! I also love King Creole album cover. Also Pure Gold from '75, is a fav of mine. Also love ROR album cover... too bad the album itself is not as good as the cover(which was rare).

JEFF d
Elvis fan

'Raised On Rock' LP sleeve. Surely he's breaking wind.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:29 am

Personally, I've always been especially fond of this album cover.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:50 am

The CD cover in this case is nicer than the original album cover that had some song titles where the black area is to the right.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:44 am

I always was liked the cover used on the "On Stage Feb. 70" album. I liked the photography and as I recall Elvis' name was nowhere on the sleeve.... and I thought that was really cool at the time.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:54 am

Moody Blue has always done it for me. This is the first album I bought myself plus it was on the heels of me seeing the B'ham concert, so this one has a special place in my heart. I can remember staring at the cover for hours trying to figure out if Elvis was really overweight or if it was the lighting. Come to think of it I did the same for the EP Blvd Album.

I always thought (at the time and at the tender age of 9 years old) the overweight Elvis was just a conspiracy of the tabloids.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:01 am

He wasn't overweight on the Moody Blue cover. The picture used came from Hawaii in November 1972.

You can rest easy now, my friend.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:08 am

I've always wondered were the 'Moody Blue' shot was taken thanks Rob.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:25 am

Some albums have great photos but lousy artwork (Madison Square Garden, Raised On Rock - hey, why bother with doing two sides of the sleeve when you can just use the front cover on the back as well - unbelievable! Having Fun On Stage - black and white photos that show his paunch...).

And then there are a few albums that had great artwork.

In the 50´s RCA must have had more competent people in their art department, the sleeves have a lot of class. The "Elvis" album is a beauty, and "For LP Fans Only is very nice too. Simple but not cheap looking.

In the early 60´s they were OK too, but it seems the movie formula took its toll on the art directors, the start of "just take this here promotion picture of Elvis from the film and stick the title and his name on it. Done!"

When the music started getting better again, so did the album covers. TV Special is a classic, iconic image with the red letters in the background. Same goes for the Memphis album. "On Stage" and "That´s The Way It Is" are timeless, elegant and exciting at once. "Elvis Country" had a really nice touch with the 3 year old Elvis. Makes you wonder who thought of that idea?! After that, I guess Parker told RCA, "nothing too fancy, that´ll scare away the fans". Hence "Love Letters", "Wonderful World Of Christmas" and all the albums that followed. "Moody Blue" was almost a return to form... At least they did some work on the sleeve, found really nice pictures.

One thing that has not been mentioned in this thread is the "ELVIS" superhero logo that appeared in 1974, I just love it! I thought that was incredibly cool back in 77 when I got my first albums.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:32 am

For general information purposes only......

Did you know that the only live album that was ever released by BMG on Elvis (not including re-issues) that featured a photograph from the actual show on the disc was this one? There was no other.

Re: .

Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:40 pm

Blue-Gypsy wrote: Come to think of it I did the same for the EP Blvd Album.

I always thought (at the time and at the tender age of 9 years old) the overweight Elvis was just a conspiracy of the tabloids.

They did airbrush out some of Elvis's "lovehandles" on the EP Blvd album. I've seen a reproduction of the original picture and compared it to the sleeve and there was definitely more paunch before the RCA sleeve artists got a hold of it.

Jules

Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:49 pm

You can find the original picture in the 70´s box set... quite a difference! But for once they did a pretty good job...

Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:57 pm

I don´t know why but I prefer the 70´s (in LP covers). My choices would be:

1-) Fool
2-) Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden
3-) Raised On Rock

Great pictures!

Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:18 pm

I Got Lucky - original Camden LP.

If someone could post the cover, would be greatly appreciated. It seems i'm not able to do so.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:16 pm

Here you go......

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:20 pm

Also, if you have a hot date and are keen to impress with a sharp suit, don't forget the tie of choice for Elvis album cover afficionados...

what is your fave

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:31 pm

Im not bitching, but very few 70s releases had anything to do with Design. Its most of the time a concert photo [ no matter what you were about to hear on the actual record!?] and the title in the left or right corner. Now some of the 60s Soundtracks artwise had a lot more to offer. For instance the G.I. Blues handpainted lettering on the blue border background is Top Quality work done by a true Pro Graphic designer. Its in perfect balance with the great knife sharp photograph. The backcover isnt a rush job either...Again good lettering and fine pix from the movie. When my brother graduated from Highschool in 61 he got this album as a gift from our parents. It was the very first Elvis Longplayer in our collection! To this day I still love it to death! Greg, I hope you have a 60s pressing for display? Some of the later ones were fokked in true RCA style... Wrong logo, ugly added color border on the bottom, etc... The original gets a 9 out of 10 in my book! Hup Two Hup Two!