All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

What is your fave Elvis Lp cover art ...and memories of it?

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:25 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Hi GREGORY, should we do a BEST album cover design this time; 1956- 70s? A top 10 ofcourse, there's a lot to choose from. Problem is most younger fans only have the cd releases, and many look like Gorilla ssshhiiit compared to the original vinyl issues. Bad colors, newly colored backgrounds, aborted logos and artwork, etc!

Waddoyouthink, bro? If you wanna start this topic, please do, I havent got a clue how to get that POLL listing on top of this thread...But...I can ride a bicycle with both hands in the air singing a medley of old Dutch Folksongs! Ciao!.......PS, It would be great if people can tell a story that goes with a certain favourite album... where and when they bought it, reaction when first played, special romantic [ Aaaahhh] memories, anything to make this thread an interesting read! I have a couple of free import cds to be won for those who put a little effort in their reply! Good luck to you all . And now I start listing my own top10... Catch you later!

We've given up on the poll idea because it limits choices, but how about it folks?

What is your favorite Elvis album cover art ? This should be on
LP, but it could have been CD or 8-track or cassette, however inferior and
small such formats are for artwork.

Maybe you have a top 10?
Any special personal memories of that first Elvis LP? How did you react to the cover art? Ashamed but love the music?
Love both? Or maybe it was a 45 rpm single, perhaps with a picture sleeve? Or if you're young'un, maybe it's that '70s CD box Grandma bought for you in '95?

Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:35 pm

My fave LP is This Is Elvis. I was 10 when this was released, and the movie when aired on TV is what turned me into an Elvis fan. Although both the movie and Lp are highly criticized by some fans, it got this young guy into nothing but the king (and the Beatles and KISS LOL). I bought a bootleg of this lp on CD and it sounded like pure crap. I hope one day a real one comes out.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:39 pm

As a kid I grew up with two Elvis fans (my parents) so I was introduced to Elvis without a formal intro... sort of stumbled upon his music and was allowed to play their records.

I remember playing Elvis Country and loving it, but couldn't work out why I was finding it so hard to put an individual track on!

The 40 Greatest Hits was brilliant for me. It had so many superb classics I was spoiled for choice. And the Ad made it onto British TV!

My dad had some old 78's of Elvis and seriously debated about painting them gold and hanging them in the room! I managed to get him to give them to me for safe keeping! I still have them. Phew!!

My own personal favourite has to be Moody Blue. I love the title track and love the songs on the album. I don't even mind the cover. I think it's quite cool. I've still to get a blue vinyl pressing though!

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:54 pm

When we got that classic first Elvis album: Elvis Presley in the UK, they re-named it Rock 'n' Roll, left some tracks off, and added others on.

But, thankfully, they left the sleeve alone !

And what a sleeve !

That great open-mouthed, guitar-wielding pose !

It was simply nothing like anything we'd ever seen before !

It seemed to cry out the warning: "This record is dangerous !" -

With the word 'Elvis' in the pink lettering down the left side, and 'Presley' along the bottom in green, it was sheer perfection !

And that was before we even heard it !

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:00 am

When I was 10 years old in 1974 I got the ELVIS album sold on TV from RCA Special Products. It was a double album and I played the hell out of it. Hound Dog opened the album and that was the first Elvis record I had ever heard. That happened with each succesive track 2nd,3rd and so on. I was blown away. Inside the cover was the ELVIS Catalog and right then and there I decided that I was going to get every album there.Not knowing in my wildest dreams that it would be a never ending task. My Mother was an original 50s fan and I did not know. But that's another story.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:34 am

My favorite cover art? Easy pickin's for me:

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:20 am

Well, by default, my favortie has to be my first Elvis album EVER (actually it was a budget priced tape):

Elvis' Golden Records Volume 1

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:05 am

KHoots wrote:My favorite cover art? Easy pickin's for me:

Whats with the fake guitar in this pic? I recall the LP had a red rectangular block with the track listings that covered the area that SHOULD have the neck and frets.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:42 am

In the mid 1970's, i was slowly becoming a fan and hearing his stuff on radio and watching the movies on TV. So at that time I had no idea really what songs were his hits or whatever. I decided I was going to buy one of his albums, so I went to a department store. I found this one with a black and white picture on the front and saw "blue suede shoes" and "tutti frutti". Those seemed to be the only ones familair to me and so I took a chance and bought it. Didn't know it was his first album at the time. But I played the hell out of it. I ended up wearing it out, and having to buy another one. I then proceded to buy 14 LP's in the next 2 years and then the unthinkable happended. After he died, it didn't take long to buy every album he made, because at that time they re-issued everything. Its so weird that an album made in 1956 had such an influence over me in 1975, but it did.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:37 am

Jim Dandy wrote:

Whats with the fake guitar in this pic? I recall the LP had a red rectangular block with the track listings that covered the area that SHOULD have the neck and frets.

Indeed, it looks very odd! This is the original sleeve:

Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:01 am

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:

Indeed, it looks very odd! This is the original sleeve:

What you are seeing is the Back of the original Double LP.The front side is ELVIS IN PERSON AT THE INTERNATIONAL HOTEL. The name of this double album is FROM MEMPHIS TO VEGAS/FROM VEGAS TO MEMPHIS. It was released in 1969. In 1970 the original double album was sold as 2 separate albums.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:11 am

Yeah, you´re right! But did the ´70 single LP really have that pathetic fake guitar? RCA´s art department strikes again :wink:

Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:29 am

I do not see it as a fake guitar. Maybe the shadows? The colors on the backside of the double album are not real. It is a black and white photograph with the letters in color and red thing with song titles at the bottom.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:38 am

Shadows, yes that´s possible - but that doesn´t explain why the neck is missing from the actual body of the guitar!

Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:43 am

I just see it as a very dark picture with his face in light and parts of the guitar emerging from a dark background. I will add that both those albums are wrong. The second with mostly wrong colors and the first should not have the little title at the top that the double album has.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:02 am

OK, let´s get to the bottom of this! First, I agree colours etc are wrong on the two covers posted above. Here is the correct Back In Memphis:

And in this photo you can see what I mean about the guitar, the neck goes all the way to the "hole" (sorry, don´t know the english name for it!), so you can see it´s really amateurish work by RCA (again)...

Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:12 am

You are correct! I was looking at my vinyl album cover and its ok. I have just checked the CD and thats where the problem is.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:17 am

I´m glad we could finally agree! :wink:

Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:24 am

Sorry about that.Mega oops!

what is your fave

Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:41 am

Delboy, let me make it up to you, for my own piece of mind and your greatly appreciated help. If I can have your address I will mail you some goodies shortly... You can find mine on the page of WORST cover art. Thanks amigo.

what is your fave

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:06 pm

Delboy, try pm me, I think I know now [ after only 6 months...] how to read that mail! It saves you a stamp.

what is your fave

Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:44 pm

I always considered both the music and cover design found on the TTWII album quite good. Good enough to play it to my then girlfriend one evening during the early months of 1971. That morning I drove my green colored moped, with "Elvis" handpainted in orange on the tank, to the Record Shop in a nearby town. Picked up the album and drove back to my parents house, where I lived back then. Rushed to my little Studio on the first floor where I worked on cartoons and comic strips to make a living, put the record on and played it full blast while admiring the album cover. My my, the back held a bunch of photographs from the actual movie! Quite a pleasant surprise for a change! That afternoon I rang my lady and asked her to come over for a drink that evening... I played her some of my favourite tracks, such as How The Web Was Woven and kept our glasses filled with cheap wine from the local Supermarket. Halfway thru playing the record we found ourselves on the floor making out... Come to think of it , I dont remember asking her afterwards if she had enjoyed the album, or at least the part she had heard?

Re: what is your fave

Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:15 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:I played her some of my favourite tracks, such as How The Web Was Woven and kept our glasses filled with cheap wine from the local Supermarket. Halfway thru playing the record we found ourselves on the floor making out... Come to think of it , I dont remember asking her afterwards if she had enjoyed the album, or at least the part she had heard?

I just can't help believin' this story, Ger. Did she orgasm, or did she just pretend? Did you find out she was called Mary in the morning? Did the lovemaking continue for twenty days and twenty nights? And on the twenty first day, did you lose that lovin' feelin'? And after that, did you patch it up? Did she say "you don't have to say you love me, Ger"?

:lol: :roll:

Jules

Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:43 pm

After she said "The next step is love", Ger bailed out! :wink:

Probably the most important album for me was ‘From Elvis In Memphis’. I didn’t get this until 1984. At that time I had a good Elvis collection but a lot of Elvis’ catalogue in the UK was deleted and FEIM was one of them. It wasn’t available anywhere. When I found out that record shops would actually order albums for you that weren’t on the shelves I enquired about FEIM at a local record stall in an indoor market that I used. Around about that time it must have been reintroduced into the catalogue and he took my order. Several weeks passed and I got a call saying it had arrived. I went and collected the LP paying the princely sum of £4.99 (expensive for an album) and 29p for the obligatory PVC cover.

I rushed home to play it. At that time I had only heard ‘Gentle on my Mind’ (Welcome to my World LP), ‘Any Day Now’ (The Other Sides Tape) and ‘In the Ghetto'. I’d read track by track reviews of the rest and the expectation was at fever pitch. I played it and was blown away! The main thing was the opening track ‘Wearing That Loved on Look’. I’ve never been so impressed by a track upon hearing it for the first time than that one. I played it about 6 times before I got to the rest of the LP. The album was all I played for about a month. I also thought it was a cool cover. I used to store my albums in a rack with the best cover facing the front. That was ‘From Elvis in Memphis’ for a long time.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:50 pm

I understand the history of the "Back in Memphis" cover and all, and, guitar issues aside, I just love Elvis' expression and the powerful feel he emotes, the shadowing, and the boldness of the lettering. It has always been my favorite cover--front, back or otherwise. In fact, I am wearing a shirt with that very picture as I sit here--minus the "Back in Memphis" lettering...