Gamma Master wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:59 am
elvis-fan wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:35 pm
Domino wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:13 pm
I hardly believe they have audience recordings in the vault
Well the soundbooth recordings aren't exactly audience recordings per se, the ones the FTD has in their vault were recorded by the sound crew, and not just members of the audience. They used soundbooth recordings on their 'I found my thrill' medley from the release of the same name. I think they sound just as good as some soundboards, and probably better than the sound on lower quality soundboards. For instance, I'd rather listen to a soundbooth tape than the tape of the 22nd March 1975 MS, because I think it would actually sound better than the soundboard.

So basically, they're not in-line tapes like soundboards are, but they're still professionally recorded by Elvis' sound crew and NOT by amateurs in the audience. They would be in FTD's vault because they were recorded by the sound crew. They wouldn't have 'bought audience recordings'.

Personally I welcome soundbooth tapes if no soundboards are available to represent the earlier years. Of course I understand people who may think differently

How do we not have that complete show from the opening sequence of this medley? The sound is excellent... much better than any soundboard recordings...
Exactly my point, I think a Winter 1974 soundbooth release is due, especially given the lack of Soundboards from that engagement which was for the most part pretty good.

That being said, it’s possible the shows aren’t complete so maybe that’s why we haven’t had any yet
I agree, except with the "lack of Soundboards from that engagement" part. FTD have several soundboards from the first few days of that engagement recorded between jan. 27. and feb. 1. They don't have the first 2 shows from jan. 26th.
It seems they are afraid to release other soundboards from this season, because 'I Found My Thrill' didn't sell that well. (I don't know why as it's a great FTD and the only concert from that season!) Another problem is that most of the soundboards from this season are not too good sounding. The best sounding one is the jan. 27. show that was released by FTD.
the ones used as bonus tracks on the i found my thrill FTD didn't sound bad either thou

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

MadTiger
Registered for: 3 years 3 months

Re: New FTD releases in July 2022!.

Post by MadTiger »

ORION wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:49 am
It's time for another's two cents worth before this one reaches many a mailbox. First, I pre-ordered this one over a couple of months go. This was long before I heard any sound samples or knew for sure if it was soundbooth or soundboard recordings. That's because I'm an old time FTD customer who used to get every release from FTD automatically. Then somewhere along the line, the concert series CDs started to have issues that weren't present in the beginning (issues such as incomplete shows, missing songs, running speeds, sloppy packaging, different shows edited together without acknowledgment from FTD, etc..) Now, before I get slammed for being an FTD hater (which I am far from since I own all but FOUR FTD releases minus nearly all the Books and vinyl), I can't help but feel my days of automatic buying are over. I own 200+ ARs, but I knew what I was getting when I purchased those, so I am totally disappointed that FTD didn't announce at the start that this CD contained a soundbooth, a soundboard, and quite possibly an AR. To me, I feel deceived and am not pleased at that. Perhaps going forward FTD should come with a "Buyer Beware" sticker.
I've listened to CD #1 through my Bose QC35 II headphones yesterday and if that is an audience recording (recorded by the audience) instead of an early, poor, sound-booth recording made by Elvis's sound crew then I'm going to eat my jacket. Without pepper and salt.

ORION
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Post by ORION »

MadTiger wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:06 pm
if that is an audience recording (recorded by the audience) instead of an early, poor, sound-booth recording made by Elvis's sound crew then I'm going to eat my jacket. Without pepper and salt.
I'm glad (OK, glad is an overstatement) that you feel that the first Disc is not an AR recorded by an audience member. However, what I find adding fuel to my displeasure with FTD is your notion that it's a "poor" soundbooth recording. To that I simply ask WHY? Why release something that is really not historically significant in POOR quality? Is the soundboard cabinet really so low that it's time to serve up a show that is recorded so poorly that it' better than releasing nothing? Surely there could have been another show added that was equal in sound or just make the release a regulr two-fer and kepp the price near or the same as it's been - yea, I know "inflation."

Gunter
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by Gunter »

:wtf:
Johnny2523 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:54 pm
moonandback wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:00 pm

I agree, except with the "lack of Soundboards from that engagement" part. FTD have several soundboards from the first few days of that engagement recorded between jan. 27. and feb. 1. They don't have the first 2 shows from jan. 26th.
It seems they are afraid to release other soundboards from this season, because 'I Found My Thrill' didn't sell that well. (I don't know why as it's a great FTD and the only concert from that season!) Another problem is that most of the soundboards from this season are not too good sounding. The best sounding one is the jan. 27. show that was released by FTD.
the ones used as bonus tracks on the i found my thrill FTD didn't sound bad either thou
Whatever the case, a januari/februari 1974 release is very welcome by me. Be it soundbooth or soundboard or a combination of the two.

You know, that version of "Dixie" and uh, the "Battle Hymn of the Republic," it's so beautiful!
The band he's put together is so over-the-top, and only Elvis would have that kinda spending power, and just audacious craziness. Choirs, and orchestras, and a great rhythm section, maybe another gospel group on the side. None of it makes sense until you suddenly hear something like that, and they're all playing a role in that, and it's very moving music. That's the pure joy of music in the man. You know, that's when I see everything stop.

~Tom Petty - The Searcher

Gunter
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by Gunter »

ORION wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:33 pm
MadTiger wrote:
if that is an audience recording (recorded by the audience) instead of an early, poor, sound-booth recording made by Elvis's sound crew then I'm going to eat my jacket. Without pepper and salt.
I'm glad (OK, glad is an overstatement) that you feel that the first Disc is not an AR recorded by an audience member. However, what I find adding fuel to my displeasure with FTD is your notion that it's a "poor" soundbooth recording. To that I simply ask WHY? Why release something that is really not historically significant in POOR quality? Is the soundboard cabinet really so low that it's time to serve up a show that is recorded so poorly that it' better than releasing nothing? Surely there could have been another show added that was equal in sound or just make the release a regulr two-fer and kepp the price near or the same as it's been - yea, I know "inflation."
Honestly, of the three shows we got on this release, the first one is my favorite. Whatever the source, I would not call it 'poor sounding'. The sound might not be as good (if that is the correct term, I'd prefer different) as the the second show or as the august 20th show, it's still a very very good sounding show. Well excellent for an off-line recording actually. If this were an AR everybody would be praising it. In fact I did a quick comparison with the so-called soundbooths from Straight Arrow. This one is way better. For me it's a very enjoyable CD. Because of the content (it's a very solid show) and the sound quality.

You know, that version of "Dixie" and uh, the "Battle Hymn of the Republic," it's so beautiful!
The band he's put together is so over-the-top, and only Elvis would have that kinda spending power, and just audacious craziness. Choirs, and orchestras, and a great rhythm section, maybe another gospel group on the side. None of it makes sense until you suddenly hear something like that, and they're all playing a role in that, and it's very moving music. That's the pure joy of music in the man. You know, that's when I see everything stop.

~Tom Petty - The Searcher

Mona Lisa
Registered for: 3 years 7 months

Post by Mona Lisa »

Gunter wrote:
ORION wrote:
MadTiger wrote:
Honestly, of the three shows we got on this release, the first one is my favorite. Whatever the source, I would not call it 'poor sounding'. The sound might not be as good (if that is the correct term, I'd prefer different) as the the second show or as the august 20th show, it's still a very very good sounding show. Well excellent for an off-line recording actually. If this were an AR everybody would be praising it. In fact I did a quick comparison with the so-called soundbooths from Straight Arrow. This one is way better. For me it's a very enjoyable CD. Because of the content (it's a very solid show) and the sound quality.
Please can you highlight a couple of the performances from your favourite disc . I can't wait to get this release ...

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Mona Lisa men have named you ...

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by Markus K. »

Mike Windgren wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:12 pm
Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Markus K. wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:22 pm
frus75 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:34 pm
Markus K. wrote:
frus75 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:10 pm
This 3 cd 1973 combo sounds promising! Any reviews on the studio set?? Sound quality? Mixes etc?
In all honesty listening to the set with my Sennheiser headphones I could not make out any significant differences. I've been doing some A-B comparisons with the "Elvis sings Memphis,Tennessee" set this morning and find it hard to differentiate between releases. If at all the differences in sound are really, really, really subtle - at least to my set of ears.
Looking at the wave files in Adobe Audition the tracks seem to be mostly identical - make of that what you like.
I will add two A-Bs for you and I assume without telling you which is which you will be hard pressed to tell. Neither "Witchcraft" nor "It hurts" me found any change to the files - just plain copy/paste into a new merged file. I will resolve how the two files were edited a little later.
I'm really curious if any of you will be able to find a difference. If you'd like another sample for a particular track let me know.
Thaaaanks! I will listen closely this afternoon
And here's the promised listing for both tracks - did you figure it out yourself?

Witchcraft - Take 1
0:00-0:16 - Elvis sings Memphis, Tennessee
0:16-0:27 - Session Set
0:27-0:36 - Elvis sings Memphis, Tennessee
0:36-0:56 - Session Set

It hurts me - Take 1
0:00-0:22 - Elvis sings Memphis, Tennessee
0:22-0:27 - Session Set
0:27-0:35 - Elvis sings Memphis, Tennessee
0:36-0:48 - Session Set

The main difference is usually that there is a small count-in and call out for the take number at the start of the masters that is not present on some of the tracks on the old FTD. Additionally there is one officially unreleased FS and I think that's about it. The rest is mostly just a reproduction of what we had.
Any more unreleased dialogue beside de count-in or call out on this set?. The other Sessions sets had. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.
I'm sorry Mike, I didn't write down all differences in regards to little bits and pieces that may be found on the new set that were not released before. In all honesty I didn't have a moment were I stopped thinking "wow, never heard that before". So if there is anything else besides what I mentioned it must have slipped past me. In all honesty despite me liking this particular set of songs pretty much, I think this is one of the weakest releases by FTD so far in regards to what you get for your moneys worth. That is definetly true in regards to the "Session" series it features in.
Hopefully FTD will release one of the soundtrack sessions next, one that has not been overly covered officially or via bootlegs before and were they do have most or all of the recordings in their vaults. If they do a revamp of the 66/67/68 material or "Frankie and Johnny" or "Spinout" next, were we also have almost all there is to it (with the exception of "Goin' Home" for obvious reasons) I'd be really disappointed.

MadTiger
Registered for: 3 years 3 months

Post by MadTiger »

ORION wrote:
MadTiger wrote:
I meant 'poor' in comparison with the other known sound-booth recordings, so perhaps a unlucky choice of words with English not being my native language. The fact that it is, probably, one of the earliest made by Elvis's sound crew is most likely the reason it sounds lesser. It is in no way a bad recording (or a bad show). Nevertheless it is still good have this recording (and I actually prefer this to a badly balanced soundboard) which I thoroughly enjoyed.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

Markus K. wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
Markus K. wrote:
frus75 wrote:
Markus K. wrote:
frus75 wrote:
This 3 cd 1973 combo sounds promising! Any reviews on the studio set?? Sound quality? Mixes etc?
In all honesty listening to the set with my Sennheiser headphones I could not make out any significant differences. I've been doing some A-B comparisons with the "Elvis sings Memphis,Tennessee" set this morning and find it hard to differentiate between releases. If at all the differences in sound are really, really, really subtle - at least to my set of ears.
Looking at the wave files in Adobe Audition the tracks seem to be mostly identical - make of that what you like.
I will add two A-Bs for you and I assume without telling you which is which you will be hard pressed to tell. Neither "Witchcraft" nor "It hurts" me found any change to the files - just plain copy/paste into a new merged file. I will resolve how the two files were edited a little later.
I'm really curious if any of you will be able to find a difference. If you'd like another sample for a particular track let me know.
And here's the promised listing for both tracks - did you figure it out yourself?

Witchcraft - Take 1

It hurts me - Take 1

The main difference is usually that there is a small count-in and call out for the take number at the start of the masters that is not present on some of the tracks on the old FTD. Additionally there is one officially unreleased FS and I think that's about it. The rest is mostly just a reproduction of what we had.
Any more unreleased dialogue beside de count-in or call out on this set?. The other Sessions sets had. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.
I'm sorry Mike, I didn't write down all differences in regards to little bits and pieces that may be found on the new set that were not released before. In all honesty I didn't have a moment were I stopped thinking "wow, never heard that before". So if there is anything else besides what I mentioned it must have slipped past me. In all honesty despite me liking this particular set of songs pretty much, I think this is one of the weakest releases by FTD so far in regards to what you get for your moneys worth. That is definetly true in regards to the "Session" series it features in.
Hopefully FTD will release one of the soundtrack sessions next, one that has not been overly covered officially or via bootlegs before and were they do have most or all of the recordings in their vaults. If they do a revamp of the 66/67/68 material or "Frankie and Johnny" or "Spinout" next, were we also have almost all there is to it (with the exception of "Goin' Home" for obvious reasons) I'd be really disappointed.
I don’t know if they’ll cover GI Blues, the 4 cds already released cover just about everything. If so, they could add the flaming star complete sessions as a bonus. I would have added follow that dream to pot luck but, as it’s not possible anymore, maybe to the blue Hawaii set?

That said, chronologically then we should have:

It happened at the world’s fair
Girl happy
Frankie and Johnny
Spinout
Complete 66-67-68 Nashville sessions

Iván

La voz del Rey

bajo
Registered for: 21 years

Post by bajo »

I've become reluctanc myself, after all these beers! But, when it comes to the sessions sets, I'm keen! We are already well covered by the Memphis FTD. But, I kinda like the remix work done on the sessions sets! So, I'll go for this one too! As for the live set, I'll get it! Hoping for a good sounding recording at least! I may add that I would like to have an update of FTD "sessions/soundtracks" released prior to 2007!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by Markus K. »

bajo wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:18 pm
I've become reluctanc myself, after all these beers! But, when it comes to the sessions sets, I'm keen! We are already well covered by the Memphis FTD. But, I kinda like the remix work done on the sessions sets! So, I'll go for this one too! As for the live set, I'll get it! Hoping for a good sounding recording at least! I may add that I would like to have an update of FTD "sessions/soundtracks" released prior to 2007!
Sure, I'm generally with you on that. The problem I found with the recent '63/'64 session set that to my ears there was absolutely no difference in sound to make out in the first place plus you don't really get anything new in regards to content if you dismiss the announcment and count-in to a number of masters plus really just a couple of seconds of a FS. This set is just a new cardboard and the tracks in chronological order. There is really no gain compared to "Elvis sings Memphis, Tennessee". Glad if you're happy with that though.

Memphis1967
Registered for: 3 years 2 months
Mood:

Post by Memphis1967 »

Gamma Master wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:35 pm
Domino wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:13 pm
I hardly believe they have audience recordings in the vault
Well the soundbooth recordings aren't exactly audience recordings per se, the ones the FTD has in their vault were recorded by the sound crew, and not just members of the audience. They used soundbooth recordings on their 'I found my thrill' medley from the release of the same name. I think they sound just as good as some soundboards, and probably better than the sound on lower quality soundboards. For instance, I'd rather listen to a soundbooth tape than the tape of the 22nd March 1975 MS, because I think it would actually sound better than the soundboard.

So basically, they're not in-line tapes like soundboards are, but they're still professionally recorded by Elvis' sound crew and NOT by amateurs in the audience. They would be in FTD's vault because they were recorded by the sound crew. They wouldn't have 'bought audience recordings'.

Personally I welcome soundbooth tapes if no soundboards are available to represent the earlier years. Of course I understand people who may think differently

Many thanks for the video with the medley. great :D I had the CD once, but I never got to the medley (last track) because of the horrible sound of the concert recording (in my ears).

Topic author
Mike Windgren
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Mike Windgren »

Markus K. wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:11 pm
Mike Windgren wrote:
Markus K. wrote:
frus75 wrote:
Markus K. wrote:
frus75 wrote:

Witchcraft - Take 1

It hurts me - Take 1

Thank you!. Well not everybody have received their sets yet, hopefully some will find out if there’s something revealing in the dialogues. My set won’t arrive before three weeks, my dealer hasn’t received them yet….Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

On Tape 1972
Registered for: 1 year 11 months

Post by On Tape 1972 »

Show 1 is a lot of fun to listen to. Not focusing on Elvis' performance here, which is fine and focused but on the sound quality of the recording. It seems the message has come across and it is, what appears to be, running at the correct speed and pitch (which I still need to verify). Definitely (!!) not an AR as some have said but some audience banter is happening directly near the mics. The recording is excellent for what it is. Bass, drums,... paints a real nice image, especially in terms of the lower frequencies. Tape hum is pretty noticeable, which I like, because that means most of the dynamics are still present. Elvis' voice seems a bit distant and and doesn't quite get into focus as much as I would have liked. I noticed the first re-adjustment of the mics during "Fever" and wow does the stereo image change. WOW! All of a sudden it's like day and night and BAM!, Elvis is right there in the middle. Soon after that, for some reason, the positioning of the mics is once again fiddled with and Elvis is back where he was before. A shame really but damn, this is a great recording. The real highlight for me happens during "Trilogy". The cresendo / orchestra-build-up right before "glory, glory...", WOW!, never heard it like that before. The warm sound of the orchestra comes across just perfectly for a moment and that's something most recordings fail to capture. But not this one. Left a big smile on my face. What a fantastic addition the collection. Play it loud!

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

On Tape 1972 wrote:Show 1 is a lot of fun to listen to. Not focusing on Elvis' performance here, which is fine and focused but on the sound quality of the recording. It seems the message has come across and it is, what appears to be, running at the correct speed and pitch (which I still need to verify). Definitely (!!) not an AR as some have said but some audience banter is happening directly near the mics. The recording is excellent for what it is. Bass, drums,... paints a real nice image, especially in terms of the lower frequencies. Tape hum is pretty noticeable, which I like, because that means most of the dynamics are still present. Elvis' voice seems a bit distant and and doesn't quite get into focus as much as I would have liked. I noticed the first re-adjustment of the mics during "Fever" and wow does the stereo image change. WOW! All of a sudden it's like day and night and BAM!, Elvis is right there in the middle. Soon after that, for some reason, the positioning of the mics is once again fiddled with and Elvis is back where he was before. A shame really but damn, this is a great recording. The real highlight for me happens during "Trilogy". The cresendo / orchestra-build-up right before "glory, glory...", WOW!, never heard it like that before. The warm sound of the orchestra comes across just perfectly for a moment and that's something most recordings fail to capture. But not this one. Left a big smile on my face. What a fantastic addition the collection. Play it loud!
Thanks so much for your comments . It's what I search for and hope to enjoy --these kind of recordings ...

Beale
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Beale »

My CD's were shipped on the 18th of July, so hopefully will have them by August 1st. I'm dying to hear the concerts.

Beale

On Tape 1972

Post by On Tape 1972 »

Show 3 at the Sahara Tahoe is rock solid. Elvis is in a good mood, very focused and keeps his audience interactions far and between. Especially the ballads are performed incredibly well (!). Eliasson's trademark-mastering with its prominent bass works great on what would otherwise be a pretty dry sounding tape. The show is 100% complete, no tape-turning or anything. The balanced soundstage (considering this is "just" a regular soundboard) and the scarcity of these recordings makes this release an essential purchase. It's too bad many a fan who picked up Takin' Tahoe back in 2003 is no longer around for this one.

draig goch
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by draig goch »

Both sets just dropped through the door....That's my weekend sorted.

Greg1995
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Greg1995 »

draig goch wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:28 pm
Both sets just dropped through the door....That's my weekend sorted.
Could you post some pictures of the 1963 "Lost Album", please?
Packaging, booklet etc?

On Tape 1972

Post by On Tape 1972 »

Attached are the dynamic range measurements for "Elvis Sings Memphis, Tennessee" (2008) and "Devil In Disguise - The 'Lost Album' Sessions" (2022). Masters from Discs 1 only. Seems like the label was pretty happy with the way these tracks sounded, which is why the differences are very minor. I probably wouldn't be able to spot any of this with a waveform editor.

Don't fix stuff that isn't broken.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by On Tape 1972 on Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve in sc3
Registered for: 2 years

Post by steve in sc3 »

Email from Graceland today. Mine have shipped!!

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

Regarding the session release,one thing is that there is very little unreleased takes…if any…or maybe one.
But why couldnt they at least have the takes without fadeout so we could hear how the songs are ended?
Like all Echoes Of Love takes have a fadeout….not even one runs to the very end :(
I can understand that they would fadeout all tracks on the mainstream Sony label but not on FTD.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

LSP-4445 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:44 am
Regarding the session release,one thing is that there is very little unreleased takes…if any…or maybe one.
But why couldnt they at least have the takes without fadeout so we could hear how the songs are ended?
Like all Echoes Of Love takes have a fadeout….not even one runs to the very end :(
I can understand that they would fadeout all tracks on the mainstream Sony label but not on FTD.
Because perhaps they were recorded that way

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

On Tape 1972 wrote:Show 3 at the Sahara Tahoe is rock solid. Elvis is in a good mood, very focused and keeps his audience interactions far and between. Especially the ballads are performed incredibly well (!). Eliasson's trademark-mastering with its prominent bass works great on what would otherwise be a pretty dry sounding tape. The show is 100% complete, no tape-turning or anything. The balanced soundstage (considering this is "just" a regular soundboard) and the scarcity of these recordings makes this release an essential purchase. It's too bad many a fan who picked up Takin' Tahoe back in 2003 is no longer around for this one.
Got to agree it’s a good solid show . Love the CHFIL closer ~~ it’s short but sweet with a cracking short vamp to finish with a delicious two second Hendrix like wah-wah which then culminates into a very short free~form jazz like vamp ~~then the announcements.

It’s a great companion release with TAKIN’ TAHOE TONIGHT .

I Like STEAMROLLER too - good solid version. Sound is pretty much Balanced throughout that said with a heavy bass sound .Image

Last edited by Mona Lisa on Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

TCK_KING
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by TCK_KING »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:19 pm
LSP-4445 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:44 am
Because perhaps they were recorded that way
LOL recorded with fadeout :smt003
Oh and many times we have them complete on bootleg but not on these "Complete Sessions" releases.