Post Here All Reviews Of Bootleg CD's/LP's etc.

Pieces Of My Life - July 24, 1975

Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:34 am

I listened to an audience recorded concert over the weekend that I had not heard in quite awhile. It came from Asheville, North Carolina on July 24, 1975. This is Elvis' third appearance here in as many days.

It is a pretty decent sounding show. It has a lot of bass to it which makes it sound much fuller than it probably should. I won't go into the entire show, but I will tell you that it was a pleasurable listening experience. The show is longer than most ( closing show of the tour) and Elvis takes several requests from the audience.

The first thing you notice is that the crowd is very excited while anticipating Elvis' arrival. The first pleasant surprise is that he opens with That's All Right. He also performs Jailhouse Rock, which is rare for 1975. You can definitely tell that it has not been rehearsed. Some other surprises are Something (again rare for '75) Wooden Heart, Return To Sender and Shake A Hand.

The fall out between Elvis and the Sweets and Kathy Westmoreland has subsided by this time because Elvis introduces them in a very professional manner (totally unlike he has introduced them in the past few days.)

There is a part in the show also that the crowd gets very loud and excited. One wonders what is going on until Elvis makes reference to a ring that is worth several thousands of dollars. He obviously gave it to someone in the audience.

The highlight of the night was "a song that is my Dad's favorite off of my latest album." He then does a very good job of Pieces Of My Life.

A soundboard of this show would be very much welcomed. However, thankfully, it is available at least on an audience recording, which is much better than not having it at all. Below is the track listing from this show.

July 24, 1975 (8:30 pm) Asheville, NC. Ashville Civic Center.

2001 Theme / That's All Right / I Got A Woman / Amen / Big Boss Man / Love Me / If You Love Me / All Shook Up / Teddy Bear - Don't Be Cruel / Hound Dog / American Trilogy / Heartbreak Hotel / Jailhouse Rock / Something / Return To Sender / Wooden Heart / Hawaiian Wedding Song (+ reprise)/ Bridge Over Troubled Water / Polk Salad Annie / Intros by JD Sumner: Johnny B. Goode by James Burton - Ronnie Tutt drums solo - Jerry Scheff bass solo - Glen D. Hardin piano solo - Joe Guercio and orchestra - Hail! Hail! Rock' n' Roll / T-R-O-U-B-L-E / Shake A Hand / Pieces Of My Life / How Great Thou Art / Can't Help Falling In Love / Closing Vamp

Elvis wore the Aztec suit for this show which had 7,437 people in attendance.

Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:18 am

Damn Rob, that sounds great!

can u elaborate a bit on more on Jailhouse?

does he only sing the 3 verses like he did in '76/'77?

is it the same tempo, or does he slow it down?

man, I would love to get my hands on this show...

Thanks again for the review and tracklist!

Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:34 am

Jailhouse Rock pretty much bites. There is no kick-off from James. Elvis just starts singing. He just does the first two verses if I remember correctly. He ends it the same as he did in the '68 Comeback instead of the way he did it in the 1976 and '77 versions.

There is quite a bit of mumbling by Elvis throughout the song. He was as unprepared to sing it as the band was to play it. However, the crowd loved it.

Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:58 pm

Which CD is this show on, Rob? Is it "Gyrating Asheville". This is the kind of show I'd like FTD to release.

Nice review as always.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:14 am

No. The CD is called Pieces Of My Life from July 24, 1975.
Gyrating Asheville is from the day before on the 23rd.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:38 pm

Probably one of the best concerts of his career.. I enjoy very much listening to this concert....
Nice review.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:59 pm

One other note from this fantastic show: this is the show where he gave away his Gibson "dove" signature guitar to a gentleman in the audience!

Read about it here http://www.scottymoore.net/ep69dove.html

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:58 am

I would love to hear this show. I have one from Asheville also but its from the 23rd and its a very good show also!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:55 pm

8) Great review! however i just don't care for his trashing of Nancy's request!!!! Apart from that it's a damm good show

Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:32 am

YDKM wrote:8) Great review! however i just don't care for his trashing of Nancy's request!!!! Apart from that it's a damm good show

and jus what was Nancy's request?

Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:56 am

An American Trilogy- which he doesn't give a damm about and spoils this version.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:16 am

YDKM wrote:An American Trilogy- which he doesn't give a damm about and spoils this version.

wow...never knew that!

Thanks for the reply.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:36 pm

Great review and a great concert.... The three concerts from Ashville are awesome! I like very much this concert. Elvis does a great job in Pieces Of My Life and Return To Sender.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:55 pm

Yea! This show is coming out on *Import*.... I for one can't wait to hear this show!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:11 pm

Do we already have the cover art and when it´s going to be released ????