All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Remembering AUGUST 16, 1977

Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:00 am

Well, it's jus over midnite here in my neck of the woods and I got my Sirius Satelitte Elvis Radio playing in the back reflecting on that fateful day...

I jus can't believe it's already been 28 summers gone by...

What a gloomy and miserable day that was. I can remember sitting in front of the TV with my Mom and Dad. I'll admit it, I cried. Real tears.

I can also remember the years that followed and how it seemed that everyone seemed to turn their backs on Elvis, either for dying, finding out he was addicted to pills, becoming overweight, for making mediocre films and music, it goes on and on...noone seemd to care anymore about him the way that I kept feeling all along!!!

It was hard being an Elvis fan in the 80's...man, I caught sum real sh*t for defending Elvis or admitting I still liked him. now, 28 years after, it all seems to be coming full circle. people seem to think it's kool being an Elvis fan, and I've noticed so many newer Younger fans joining in on the ride. I think Elvis would be thrilled.

Anyway, enuff of my babbling, I get a lil sad on this day, but I also enjoy it cuz I get to pay tribute and honor my all time fav entertainer, singer, musician by wearin' my Elvis T-shirts, blast his music, watch his DVD's...etc etc...

ELVIS...You may be gone from the earth, but your Music and impact will never be forgotten. The most primal force in the history of Pop and Rock 'N Roll music.

If your an Elvis fan, no explanation is needed. If your not an Elvis fan, no explanation is possible!!!

You still, and will always, matter to me. Still missing you 'ole friend.

ELVIS A. PRESLEY
Jan. 8, 1935-Aug. 16, 1977

Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:25 am

I feel sad and something isnt right, I know why. thanks for reminding us. and I was only 6 when he passed. hmmm :?

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:29 am

August 16 again. Time flies.

I always have mixed emotions about this day.

As usual, I will spend the day watching Elvis on the telly and listening to his records.

Miss you like crazy, Man!

Respectfully,
Kristian

Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:57 am

When the news broke here it was early morning on the 17th, my wifes birthday!!!

And she wonders why I never buy her a pressie. :x

:shock: 8)

Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:54 am

Well, I wasn´t even born but I miss him so much! He was a great fella!!
Hey Sam...August 17th is also my birthday :D

Elvis....wherever you are my best thoughts are with you brother!!

Best Regards
Renan.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:14 pm

I was 7 when Elvis died, and my first Elvis memory is watching EIC on british TV. I can remember my mum and dad, who weren't fans, commenting on how bad he looked, how he was sweating, but I thought it was fantastic.

I've been a fan ever since.

El, wherever you are, thanks for everything.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:22 pm

happy birthday to renagulled and Sams wife for tomorrow then :D

but seriously every day is Elvis day for me, does'nt matter whether its january 8, august 16 or any day, he is ALWAYS ON MY MIND. he was and is the king and one of the best people who gave, loved, and sang to this earth. no words or feelings possible can express how much i feel for Elvis

death is mourning, but also a celebration. so free cheers for ELVIS ARON PRESLEY, THE KING!!!!!!!!!!

august 16th

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:24 pm

today is a real sad day, the pain never gets any easier, I was 12 when he passed away and was in bed for school the next morning, My mum came and woke me and told me the news, i was gutted, I remember watching the evening news on t.v. and thinking it was wrong, of course it was all too true. The biggest and best thing the 20th century ever had and still the biggest and best in the 21st and coming centuries. All fans on this board should reflect and share their feelings, TODAY IS THE DAY WE ALL JOIN TOGETHER AND UNITE!!!!!!!!!. cheers for the music 'E' we all love and miss you, and we always will :( :( :( , rick

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:34 pm

Here is a poem i just thought of

August 16, 1977, the day that you died
the day that you left this earth and this whole world cried
no more Elvis in this world, only MEMORIES
but you left us all behind a great legacy

you sang blue suede shoes, hound dog, jailhouse rock, way down
suspicious minds, burning love, stranger in my own home town
you sang rhythm and blues and gospel, loved God with all your might
you loved your dearest mama, and cried for her at night

you went back with your mama, and met God too
one thing we all have to say is ELVIS, I MISS YOU

from a 15 year old Elvis fan, Scott Haigh, on behalf of the Elvis fans of the world

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:38 pm

Well I was a mere 2 months old when Elvis passed away..

You're not very aware of much as a two month old infant, so I couldn't possibly have known how much of an impact Elvis would have on my life.

All I can really say is, there'd be a whole lot missing in my life if it weren't for Elvis and what he gave to the world.

I said it at his graveside, and I'll say it here.. "Thanks Elvis, from the bottom of my heart".

Kev.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:44 pm

I was 10 years old when he died and, like KevinK said, didnt realise the influence he would have on my life. He has been my best friend, comforter and companion now for 29 years. I miss him and am so grateful for all the pleasure he has brought to me and countless millions of others. Elvis, wherever you are, THANKS and TAKE CARE.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:11 pm

Well, I was not born in that time too, but I´m deeply sad about this day. :cry: :cry: :cry: It´s hard to imagine how these 28 years have gone so fast and if I join my whole life I am only 20! Anyway, we miss you so much Elvis!!

Hey it´s my birthday too on August 17th :wink:

Best Regards
Marco Aurelio

Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:18 pm

elvisjrn: if you don´t mind I posted your thoughts in a Brazilian forum...I really liked :wink:

Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:21 pm

Always a sad day - and I remember 28 years ago all too clearly
rick

Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:32 pm

thank you renagulled, i don't mind at all

Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:32 pm

thank you renagulled, i don't mind at all

Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:59 pm

28 years ago, the greatest entertainer and the biggest star ever passed away, who by all accounts was a loving, caring and very generous person who gave so much of himself to this world. I miss you, yet take comfort in knowing that your at peace now.

August 16

Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:00 pm

It's unbelievable it's already been 28 years. How time flies.
I heard it at the very first lesson in High School, I was 12 years old at the time. My biology teacher mentioned it as part of his warning against using drugs and what it does to the human body!!
I remember being shocked, I had become only interested in music and Elvis just around that time, I felt like having been robbed of something very special.
That night they showed clips of the Aloha Show (It's Over) and I have had the Elvis virus ever since. Not a day goes by that I don't listen to a CD or watch a DVD. He was the greatest cultural phenomenon of the 20th Century and he is still loved by so many people. He really is unique.
I wish you all a good day and let's always keep him where he belongs..at the top.
Cheers
Simon

Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:07 pm

Simon, did you watch the "NOS journaal" this morning? They did a nice tribute. They mentioned Elvis died of overuse of prescribed medicine and being overweight.
Veronica TV will show "Aloha from Hawaii" and "Girls! girls! girls!".
Radio 2 made Elvis artist of the day.

No

Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:11 pm

Hi Luuk,
No I did not see it this morning! Hopefully there will be a repeat later today. Tonight Aloha on TV, that has been quite a while since they showed that.
Cheers
Simon

Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:51 pm

I had just celebrated my 7th birthday and just started going to school in August 1977, and at that point I didn't know exactly what was going on in the world.

It took me some time afterwards to realize that Elvis had just passed away, but somehow his music started to fascinate me more and more at this stage in my life.

The first Elvis LP I ever got, was in fact the Camden release Elvis' Christmas album! Imagine how disappointed I was when first listening to it! :lol:

My Mom eventually bought me the Elvis Greatest Hits Reader's Digest Box Set (7 LPs), and from then on the carousel started spinning faster and faster!

After completing my first year at school, I was forever hooked on Elvis!

Br
Kristian

Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:32 pm

I wasn't born yet in 1977, but August 16 will never cease to make me sad.

the Prophet on Joy and Sorrow

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked. And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears. And how else can it be? The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain. When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy. When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:52 pm

I had just turned 18. I had been car shopping all day and had stopped by a little record shop that sold imports. I was leafing through the Elvis section when someone said, "That's a shame about him."

I thought they were talking about Elvis What Happened? We had an odd conversation when they realized I hadn't heard. When they told me he had died and that it was all over the radio, I went straight to my car and turned on the radio for the first time that day.

An Elvis song was playing. That was not a good sign. I drove to a pay phone and called a local TV station and they verified that Elvis had died.

I called home to discover that everyone was in a panic because no one had heard from me. I guess they thought I had killed myself.

Long story short. I ended up on a plane to Memphis to be with people that were as lost as I was. I'm glad I did. No one at home understood. Plus it was my first trip and got invited into the guard shack at the front gate by Vester around 3am where he told me the story about Priscilla exorcizing the Ghost of Glades and how he still hears Glades calling for him to let her in. The Presley's are great story tellers.

I can honestly say that when Elvis died, the world lost it's magic for me.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:12 pm

This is the New York newspaper we had the next day, having
heard it on TV on the 16th. It was all over the place,
like wild fire.

Minkahed and many of you echo my sentiments -
and yes, the '80s were
tough for young Elvis fans in particular.
(The '50s rebel Elvis was the
easiest to use to defend him...)

I was 8 years old in a family of fans - rather my mother
and brothers. I was too young in '73, but my family
was enraptured by the "Aloha" special.

I recall my brother's joy in getting
"Elvis' Golden Records" earlier in 1977
which I immediately fell in love with. (He had to beg
my late father for it.)
We also enjoyed his movies on TV and Mom's old 45's.
(To this day, I have original singles (usually with picture
sleeves)of "Heartbreak Hotel," "Hound Dog,"
"All Shook Up" and others like the "Love Me Tender." EP.
I also recall hearing either "Moody Blue"
or "Way Down" on the radio before he died.

August 16th, 1977 was the day before my mother's
birthday and I remember how she cried -we all did.
She turned 42 that next day. She'll turn 70 tommorrow.

Rest in peace, Elvis.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:03 pm

Is anyone on this MB listenin' to their Elvis cd's today?

watchin' a couple of Elvis films?

watchin' the great 68 COMEBACK or ALOHA DVD's...?