Post Here All Reviews Of Bootleg CD's/LP's etc.

Legendary Performer Vol 5 Review

Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:26 pm

Just received the new Madison CD. Fantastic!! A very worthy follow up to the initial 4 vinyl volumes!!

First thing that strikes you is how great the artwork is. The Front cover booklet is 16 top quality glossy pages easily comparable to any official release.

The rear artwork too is great, with a track listing printed in silver over a dark blue background photo. The reverse is also printed, with a great photo of Elvis and Scatter "reading" a book.

The disc itself is a nice retro LP label in silver over black.

And then there is the content of course. 32 tracks cram a full 77 minutes onto the disc, and the sound is extremely good across all the tracks.

From my first play through I would say that the binaural takes sound much better than any other import release, One Night of Sin with sax is interesting (from the ballet soundtrack CD), a nice loud burp from Elvis precedes a sincere take 9 of No More!!

The early 60s Nashville outtakes are fairly standard fayre, followed by some nice (but unremarkable) movie unedited masters and alternate takes. The Climb is an alternate take in excellent sound, but features no discernible Elvis vocal, though he is rumoured to be singing backup vocals!!

500 Miles will be a revealtion to non promo collectors, as this is a totally different (stereo) mix which "escaped" on a rare promo (Memphis To Canada) in 2000!!!

A couple of good solid 1969 performances follow in great sound, and then Blueberry Hill/Lawdy Miss Clawdy from Feb 23 1970, sounding better than ever with Elvis at the piano.

A short unreleased segment of I've Lost You from the August 7 1970 rehearsal sessions is followed by a great full rehearsal version from 3 days later (a bit of feedback in the middle detracts a bit).

Take 1 of I've Got Confidence is billed as unreleased, and is sourced from an acetate. The sound is very good considering this, and it is a very good initial take, albeit ending rather abruptly!!

It's A Matter of Time is a beautiful song (IMO) and here we get the pure undubbed master. Heard it before, but probably the quality here is better.

An amusing short segment then follows from The On Tour conversation, and a On Tour radio ad.

Trying To Get To You from Houston Astrodome March 3 1974 (Event No. 8) is a nice sampler for that unique show.

Woman Without Love (undubbed master) is pretty, but unremarkable. Sourced from acetate, therefore slightly crackly, but barely noticeable.

The set closes with 3 great sounding soundboard songs - 2 from March 1975 (My Boy and Big Boss Man) and a binaural And I Love You So from Cincinatti March 21 1976. My Boy is a good version, but not the best (no long held notes!!) - Big Boss Man rocks, but sounds very familiar to these ears.

And I Love You So again demonstrates the unbelievable quality of this unique binaural soundboard!!

Overall I would give this release 11 out of 10 for artwork and 8 out of 10 for content. A great mastering job for sure, and a release which should find it's way into every discerning fans collection!!

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:29 pm

BIGREDG -

Thanks for taking the time to post the review.

And I Love You So again demonstrates the unbelievable quality of this unique binaural soundboard!!

I'm just waiting for a binaural audience recording !

Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:07 pm

Wasn't the first Cd on Profile one a binaural audience recording :lol:

Your prayers are already answered before you know it :wink:

Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:20 pm

BIGREDG -

You wrote:
Wasn't the first Cd on Profile one a binaural audience recording

Don't know how they pulled that one off !

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:42 pm

Clever guys these Yanks!!!

I once had a quadraphonic soundboard, but the dog ate it!!

Bet that would have been worth a couple of quid now too :wink:

Re: Legendary Performer Vol 5 Review

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:34 pm

"BIGREDG@TISCALI.CO.UK" wrote:

re: One Night of Sin with sax is interesting (from the ballet soundtrack CD)

What is the ballet soundtrack, exactly? I actually find this version more authentically bluesy (and ballsy) with that sax dubbed onto it! It sounds fully-fleshed out, and right at home.

re:
500 Miles will be a revelation to non promo collectors, as this is a totally different (stereo) mix which "escaped" on a rare promo (Memphis To Canada) in 2000!!!

So what's the version on that often-neglected FTD, "In A Private Moment"?

re:
An amusing short segment then follows from The On Tour conversation, and a On Tour radio ad.

That entertaining 30-second ad is by none other than Casey Kasem, long-time U.S. "Top 40 Countdown" host and cartoon voice.

I managed to swap for a CDR of this album, but would prefer to get the real thing. Why is it so hard to get boots in the USA? Will someone p.m. some leads so I don't have to keep getting CDRs with no booklets? The "secret handshake" or something? A "how-to" would be helpful. I've been a fan since 1976-77 but still feel left out sometimes.

Anyway, this is a neat release to have, even on CDR. It's too bad RCA is so asleep as to let someone else "take over" the "Legendary Performer" series, which is a natural setting for cast-offs and rarities.

Re: Legendary Performer Vol 5 Review

Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:58 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
re: One Night of Sin with sax is interesting (from the ballet soundtrack CD)

What is the ballet soundtrack, exactly? I actually find this version more authentically bluesy (and ballsy) with that sax dubbed onto it! It sounds fully-fleshed out, and right at home..

It was a ballet set to the music of Elvis, and featured very nicely done overdubs to a number of songs. It had it's premier at the State Theatre in Cleveland, Ohio on May 29 1996, and a 2 CD set (0786367458-2) was released by RCA / BMG

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
re: 500 Miles will be a revelation to non promo collectors, as this is a totally different (stereo) mix which "escaped" on a rare promo (Memphis To Canada) in 2000!!!

So what's the version on that often-neglected FTD, "In A Private Moment"?

In my opinion, these are completely different performances, not just the stereo difference

Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:54 am

Hey Keith, u wouldn't happen to have a binaural And I Love You So from Cincinatti March 21 1976 mp3 you want to share with a fellow Elvis fan, would ya??? :wink: