Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

FredAistair
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Post by FredAistair »

midnightx on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:58 am wrote:
stevelecher on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:53 pm wrote: I have to disagree with X about Wonder Of You. C'mon, this was a big hit and it's well known. As someone else posted, other music lovers that don't know this probably don't know a lot of great Elvis hits from all decades. You make it sound like I'm Leaving or I've Got A Thing About You Baby.
Steve, I think you overestimate how much Elvis music is presently recognized by non-Elvis fans in the U.S. Outside of a few obvious, recognizable hits, my impression is that their familiarity does not run deep.
I am pretty miffed at the lack of recognition for Fred Astaire as well !

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stevelecher »

midnightx on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:58 pm wrote:
stevelecher on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:53 pm wrote: I have to disagree with X about Wonder Of You. C'mon, this was a big hit and it's well known. As someone else posted, other music lovers that don't know this probably don't know a lot of great Elvis hits from all decades. You make it sound like I'm Leaving or I've Got A Thing About You Baby.
Steve, I think you overestimate how much Elvis music is presently recognized by non-Elvis fans in the U.S. Outside of a few obvious, recognizable hits, my impression is that their familiarity does not run deep.
That was my point. If you're going to say the song isn't that well known today, then that would be true of many other stone cold classics. I'd also say that most people my age have at least heard the song and know of it while many millennials probably haven't. But they might not even know Don't Be Cruel.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

jetblack on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:48 am wrote:
midnightx on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:29 pm wrote: There lies the problem. I have openly presented my personal opinion about the song and my observation that it is not particularly well-known in the U.S. outside of Elvis fandom.
Please show your research of how you came to the above conclusion.
Research? It appears that you have a reading comprehension problem. I presented an "observation." If it is different for others, that is fine. I never said or implied it was a definitive and factual conclusion based on data.
midnightx on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:29 pm wrote: Where is the bias? Bias towards what?
Your own words speak for themselves.

midnightx on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:27 am wrote:
I won't lose any sleep if I never hear this vastly overrated Presley track again.
Again, you have provided nothing to substantiate that my post was influenced by bias. Whether I like the song or not does not change what I have observed regarding non-Elvis fans familiarity of "The Wonder of You." Of course, you are so quick in your efforts to present a "got ya" moment that you overlooked that detail. In addition to having reading comprehension issues, it appears that you do not understand the bias concept.

If I said, "I cannot understand how anyone likes the song" -- that would be possible example of how bias could influence my statement because of my personal feelings about the song. But here, I simply said most adults that I know who are non-Elvis fans that live in the U.S. are unfamiliar with the song. That is an observation. It has nothing to do with my feelings about the song. If most non-Elvis fans that I know were familiar with it, I would simply acknowledge that it is a big hit that everyone knows (one that I think is overrated). Bias is irrelevant here.
midnightx on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:29 pm wrote: I also acknowledged that the song is "quite popular" in the U.K. -- nothing controversial or degrading about that. But even that statement wasn't enough for you; you had to emphasize that the description is an "understatement." Okay. You have to look for any reason to get personal and lodge attacks.
One of Elvis' biggest hits in the UK is much more than 'quite popular'.
Semantics. You made an issue out of "quite popular" because of personal feelings about the poster who used the words, not because you truly felt the hit status for the song in question deserved greater emphasis. You tried to make something out of nothing for adversarial reasons. Petty stuff.
jetblack on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:48 am wrote:It seems you do have a problem with the factual info. I have provided though.
A problem with factual information? Of course not. The problem with your post is that factuality has nothing to do with it, it fails because of your inability to read and comprehend what you are responding to.

Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Ciscoking »

SteamrollerBlues on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:46 am wrote:
elvis-fan on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:22 am wrote:I've always thought the studio versions of You Don't Have To Say You Love Me and I've Lost You were two of Elvis' finest vocal performances from 1970. Pure Presley! :smt023
I second that!
Me, too...pure Elvis..yess..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

When was I really don’t want to know released? Why elvis country was released so SOON after TTWII? Can you picture Elvis 30 number 1 hits and 2nd to none released one month apart?

Iván

La voz del Rey

frus75

Post by frus75 »

I found very funny when on writing for the king one of the writers of the song claims that it was curious how a song co-written by a gay guy and made famous by a lesbian was sang in such a macho style by the most macho singer .

Iván

La voz del Rey

frus75

Post by frus75 »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:28 pm wrote:
r&b on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:00 am wrote:
MRM on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 am wrote:

From August 1970, cut from "That's the Way It Is."
Yes I have seen this and to me its forgettable, in fact I think the MSG version is better. Goofing with the lyrics, messing them up, and you think this sweeps all before? He is in good voice, better than the Garden, but to me its not a good performance for reasons I have stated. For my money this is the best live version I have ever heard:

Wow! 7,847,600 views, too.

The clip of "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" is from "Dusty" AKA "The Dusty Springfield Show" (BBC 1, Tuesday, September 19, 1967).

Dusty did very well in secondary markets, her single reaching #1 in the U.K. on May 4, 1966:
http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19660428/7501/
Errr...when is the UK a secondary market for a UK artist?!
In this forum. Indeed, this is a secondary market forum ImageImage

Iván

La voz del Rey

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

frus75 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:50 am wrote:I found very funny when on writing for the king one of the writers of the song claims that it was curious how a song co-written by a gay guy and made famous by a lesbian was sang in such a macho style by the most macho singer .
Hilarious.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by fn2drive »

frus75 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:45 pm wrote:When was I really don’t want to know released? Why elvis country was released so SOON after TTWII? Can you picture Elvis 30 number 1 hits and 2nd to none released one month apart?
Are you joking? For the money. If RCA need to make its earnings targets and the cupboard was bare, call the Colonel. There was nothing he wouldn’t release for $. They likely shipped EC to jobbers/ distributors late in Dec for early Jan release and had TTWII in Q4 as well. Follow the money.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

fn2drive on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:27 pm wrote:
frus75 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:45 pm wrote:When was I really don’t want to know released? Why elvis country was released so SOON after TTWII? Can you picture Elvis 30 number 1 hits and 2nd to none released one month apart?
Are you joking? For the money. If RCA need to make its earnings targets and the cupboard was bare, call the Colonel. There was nothing he wouldn’t release for $. They likely shipped EC to jobbers/ distributors late in Dec for early Jan release and had TTWII in Q4 as well. Follow the money.
And you have no evidence to back that up whatsoever, do you?

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

poormadpeter2 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:02 pm wrote:
Treat it as well informed speculation. I’d be curious as to your explanation or theory.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

fn2drive on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:18 am wrote:
Treat it as well informed speculation. I’d be curious as to your explanation or theory.
I wouldn't come forward with one unless i had basis for it.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

poormadpeter2 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:33 pm wrote:
So in other words, you’ve got nothing.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

fn2drive on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:49 am wrote:
I never said I had anything. I don't feel I've let myself down because I haven't come up with a convoluted theory about why one LP came out at a specific time. There are more important things.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

poormadpeter2 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:23 pm wrote:
I never said I had anything. I don't feel I've let myself down because I haven't come up with a convoluted theory about why one LP came out at a specific time. There are more important things.
Then you know very little about business, public companies and earnings management.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

fn2drive on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:43 am wrote:
Then you know very little about business, public companies and earnings management.
Errrrr.....ok.

I have no idea what that has to do with anything, but ok anyway.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

poormadpeter2 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:45 pm wrote:
Errrrr.....ok.

It has everything to do with the release schedule of major record labels and that your admission that you have no idea means that rather than reject what I said because I said, you should learn about something you know little about.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

fn2drive on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:08 am wrote:
Errrrr.....ok.

It has everything to do with the release schedule of major record labels and that your admission that you have no idea means that rather than reject what I said because I said, you should learn about something you know little about.
I thought you weren't talking to me? That lasted all of thirty seconds. Ho hum. Meanwhile, all i did was say that your comment was pure speculation. And, unless you have access to documents from RCA to back it up, that is all it is. Whether I have knowledge of major record labels release schedules from fifty years ago is entirely by-the-by, as my analysis of your comment was correct.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on that evidence of me dissing tracking from 1960 on the She's Not You thread. But rather than admit you were wrong about that, you'd rather waffle on about this to try and deflect that.

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

elvis-fan wrote:I've always thought the studio versions of You Don't Have To Say You Love Me and I've Lost You were two of Elvis' finest vocal performances from 1970. Pure Presley! :smt023
yep, You don’t have to say you love me is a masterclass lesson in singing to me.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

"An artist like Elvis is actually pretending, when he’s home, to be normal. And when he goes out on stage at night is who he actually is." — Bruce Springsteen

jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by jetblack »

midnightx on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:48 pm wrote:
midnightx on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:29 pm wrote: There lies the problem. I have openly presented my personal opinion about the song and my observation that it is not particularly well-known in the U.S. outside of Elvis fandom.
Please show your research of how you came to the above conclusion.
Research? It appears that you have a reading comprehension problem. I presented an "observation." If it is different for others, that is fine. I never said or implied it was a definitive and factual conclusion based on data.
midnightx on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:29 pm wrote: Where is the bias? Bias towards what?
Your own words speak for themselves.

midnightx on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:27 am wrote:
I won't lose any sleep if I never hear this vastly overrated Presley track again.
Again, you have provided nothing to substantiate that my post was influenced by bias. Whether I like the song or not does not change what I have observed regarding non-Elvis fans familiarity of "The Wonder of You." Of course, you are so quick in your efforts to present a "got ya" moment that you overlooked that detail. In addition to having reading comprehension issues, it appears that you do not understand the bias concept.

If I said, "I cannot understand how anyone likes the song" -- that would be possible example of how bias could influence my statement because of my personal feelings about the song. But here, I simply said most adults that I know who are non-Elvis fans that live in the U.S. are unfamiliar with the song. That is an observation. It has nothing to do with my feelings about the song. If most non-Elvis fans that I know were familiar with it, I would simply acknowledge that it is a big hit that everyone knows (one that I think is overrated). Bias is irrelevant here.
midnightx on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:29 pm wrote: I also acknowledged that the song is "quite popular" in the U.K. -- nothing controversial or degrading about that. But even that statement wasn't enough for you; you had to emphasize that the description is an "understatement." Okay. You have to look for any reason to get personal and lodge attacks.
One of Elvis' biggest hits in the UK is much more than 'quite popular'.
Semantics. You made an issue out of "quite popular" because of personal feelings about the poster who used the words, not because you truly felt the hit status for the song in question deserved greater emphasis. You tried to make something out of nothing for adversarial reasons. Petty stuff.
jetblack on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:48 am wrote:It seems you do have a problem with the factual info. I have provided though.
A problem with factual information? Of course not. The problem with your post is that factuality has nothing to do with it, it fails because of your inability to read and comprehend what you are responding to.
More rhetoric - There's no need to apologise. :)

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

r&b

Post by r&b »

fn2drive on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:08 pm wrote:
Errrrr.....ok.

With Elvis is always been about product, product, product since 1956 when RCA released all his Sun masters on 45 at the same time. Since then, every year saw multiple releases that I bet outnumbered most other artists. its funny how the Col held Elvis back from appearing in public or on TV in fear of over exposure, but he had no problem with saturation when it came to records. To have Elvis Country follow so closely to the previous album, TTWII is mind boggling at a time when most big artists were taking care to make sure each album was a sort of a milestone in their career.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

r&b on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:45 am wrote:
fn2drive on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:08 pm wrote:
Errrrr.....ok.

With Elvis is always been about product, product, product since 1956 when RCA released all his Sun masters on 45 at the same time. Since then, every year saw multiple releases that I bet outnumbered most other artists. its funny how the Col held Elvis back from appearing in public or on TV in fear of over exposure, but he had no problem with saturation when it came to records. To have Elvis Country follow so closely to the previous album, TTWII is mind boggling at a time when most big artists were taking care to make sure each album was a sort of a milestone in their career.
The product was so RCA could achieve its quarterly earnings per share targets. When Elvis death was revealed during a mtg at RCA, the controller noted they had $ 250,000 life insurance policy. He went on to quip, looks like we made the quarter ( earnings forecast). Can’t recall which bio this was reflected in. That what Elvis was to them-product and $. Parker’s treatment of RCA and his greed had a lot to do with the relationship which was hardly collaborative. Though I have to keep reminding myself, on this board , Tom Parker was the greatest manager ever.

jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by jetblack »

fn2drive on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:58 pm wrote:Though I have to keep reminding myself, on this board , Tom Parker was the greatest manager ever.
Another generalisation which doesn't stand up.

Please list the quote of where this is stated.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

jetblack on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:34 am wrote:
fn2drive on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:58 pm wrote:Though I have to keep reminding myself, on this board , Tom Parker was the greatest manager ever.
Another generalisation which doesn't stand up.

Please list the quote of where this is stated.

Andy
Of course it is a generalization. Search the board history for all the examples of the perfection of all that came into Elvis’ orbit and hence QED.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Regarding Elvis Country LP, nobody (RCA executives, Parker, Jarvis, Elvis) realized that was Elvis' last great studio album.