3 New FTD Releases - October FTD's (Updated 10-4-2017)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

a mess of polk salad
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

Re: 3 New FTD Releases - October FTD's (Updated 10-4-2017)

Post by a mess of polk salad »

StefanKock1 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:52 pm wrote:
a mess of polk salad on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:45 pm wrote:
When In Rome on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:55 pm wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:
Mike Windgren on Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:04 pm wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.
a mess of polk salad on October 21st, 2017, 10:09 pm wrote:Just a few quick thoughts on CD-2 ---Straight into a good See See Rider on first listen. Of course the intro is missing ...Elvis and the band sound good and in good spirits on the following songs too - "I Got A Woman" (with good-natured fooling) - "Love Me" - "Trying To Get To You" - and there's a quick sprint through "All Shook Up". Love Me Tender's intro is extended due to Elvis handing out scarves etc...YDHTSYLM is a pretty standard run through , likewise 'Fever' & 'polk' --- if you've got the LIVE IN LA FTD, and other era soundboards-- you'll pretty much know what to expect ...

I did miss his usual, "I'm Wayne Newton or J.Cash" etc intro , which he doesn't do here. on the first disc ( 25th) it's Chuck Berry ...

More: There's a decent 'You Gave Me A Mountain' and Elvis say's after, "I like that song!".

The Jackson Five intro is good to hear as Elvis say's their one of the hottest bands around ....More: It's request time and an audience member asks for -" Old Shep'' - "I sang that when I was about eight years old" say's Elvis ...before a decent "Help Me Make It Through The Night." Lisa Marie is introduced which is nice to hear ...BBM rocks with nice James Burton guitar and a short reprise ...then adios ...CHFIL
Cool, what´s your first impression on Elvis-The Last Movies? :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.
I haven't had time to play it yet. Struggling to listen working 12hr shifts but will add my comments in a few days ...
The daily grind does have a tendency to interfere with ones FTD listening time, I'm right there with you. Hang on in there Mess, here's hoping a day off finds you soon!
Thanks

Just to add the 25th Tahoe show Elvis introduces hinself as Pat Boone, and not Chuck Berry. Just like to say after further listens these shows have revealled more: A just beautiful I'll Remember You - and indeed a very good Heartbreak Hotel = the sound quality is very good resulting in balanced sound mostly ...both shows are enjoyable and pretty solid ...I'm enjoying them ... 8)
I'll Remember You is the only 1974 version we know of (so far), so for the hardcore collector that's interesting. Could you tell me if Help Me Make It Trough The Night is a full version, or an abbreviated version like Jackson, June 9th 1975 ?

Thanks for the comments on the concerts, very much appreciated.

It does seem a little short, maybe ...

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

a mess of polk salad on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:13 pm wrote:
a mess of polk salad on October 21st, 2017, 10:09 pm wrote:Just a few quick thoughts on CD-2 ---Straight into a good See See Rider on first listen. Of course the intro is missing ...Elvis and the band sound good and in good spirits on the following songs too - "I Got A Woman" (with good-natured fooling) - "Love Me" - "Trying To Get To You" - and there's a quick sprint through "All Shook Up". Love Me Tender's intro is extended due to Elvis handing out scarves etc...YDHTSYLM is a pretty standard run through , likewise 'Fever' & 'polk' --- if you've got the LIVE IN LA FTD, and other era soundboards-- you'll pretty much know what to expect ...

I did miss his usual, "I'm Wayne Newton or J.Cash" etc intro , which he doesn't do here. on the first disc ( 25th) it's Chuck Berry ...

More: There's a decent 'You Gave Me A Mountain' and Elvis say's after, "I like that song!".

The Jackson Five intro is good to hear as Elvis say's their one of the hottest bands around ....More: It's request time and an audience member asks for -" Old Shep'' - "I sang that when I was about eight years old" say's Elvis ...before a decent "Help Me Make It Through The Night." Lisa Marie is introduced which is nice to hear ...BBM rocks with nice James Burton guitar and a short reprise ...then adios ...CHFIL
Cool, what´s your first impression on Elvis-The Last Movies? :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.
I haven't had time to play it yet. Struggling to listen working 12hr shifts but will add my comments in a few days ...
The daily grind does have a tendency to interfere with ones FTD listening time, I'm right there with you. Hang on in there Mess, here's hoping a day off finds you soon!
Thanks

Just to add the 25th Tahoe show Elvis introduces hinself as Pat Boone, and not Chuck Berry. Just like to say after further listens these shows have revealled more: A just beautiful I'll Remember You - and indeed a very good Heartbreak Hotel = the sound quality is very good resulting in balanced sound mostly ...both shows are enjoyable and pretty solid ...I'm enjoying them ... 8)
I'll Remember You is the only 1974 version we know of (so far), so for the hardcore collector that's interesting. Could you tell me if Help Me Make It Trough The Night is a full version, or an abbreviated version like Jackson, June 9th 1975 ?

Thanks for the reply ! In the meantime, a friend who has the cd's has ripped them and shared them with me while I'm waiting for them to become available in the ELvisMatters webshop (hopefully this week).

The version of Help Me Make It Trough The Night is quite complete (as opposite to the June 9th 1975 version which was cut short by Elvis) and actually very solid. Sound is the best I've heard on any of the Tahoe '74 soundboards (a kinda 'in your face' sound, warm and full) except for maybe the horns which are a bit too close for my taste. In the meantime listened to a couple of other songs too (I'll Remember You --> lovely compliment to the orchestra after the song, You Gave Me A Mountain --> very good version, and Help Me -->> always a firm favorite of mine).

Will fully comment on these concert when I have the actual cd's and have listened to them like a real nay-sayer should, with an open mind and full attention.

a mess of polk salad

StefanKock1 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:30 pm wrote:

Thanks

Thanks for the reply ! In the meantime, a friend who has the cd's has ripped them and shared them with me while I'm waiting for them to become available in the ELvisMatters webshop (hopefully this week).

The version of Help Me Make It Trough The Night is quite complete (as opposite to the June 9th 1975 version which was cut short by Elvis) and actually very solid. Sound is the best I've heard on any of the Tahoe '74 soundboards (a kinda 'in your face' sound, warm and full) except for maybe the horns which are a bit too close for my taste. In the meantime listened to a couple of other songs too (I'll Remember You --> lovely compliment to the orchestra after the song, You Gave Me A Mountain --> very good version, and Help Me -->> always a firm favorite of mine).

Will fully comment on these concert when I have the actual cd's and have listened to them like a real nay-sayer should, with an open mind and full attention.
Ha ha -- real naysayers unite . But joking aside yes just listened to HMMITTN and it's a very enjoyable version and full! Glad you heard them ...More: managed to listen a little more and yes indeed pretty solid concerts and enjoyable ... Sound is to be applauded - during I Got A Woman their all enjoying marking JDs low notes A,B,C + etc and you can hear Elvis talking with the sweets discussing the merits of JDs performance (26th)- just fantastic! Love that .../Agree Help Me is nice a favourite of mine too. And I'll Remember You is breathtakingly beautiful ...really enjoying these concerts now ....Thanks

P.s The Jackson Five must have loved the show ...very professional ...

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

a mess of polk salad on Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:02 pm wrote:Ha ha -- real naysayers unite . But joking aside yes just listened to HMMITTN and it's a very enjoyable version and full! Glad you heard them ...More: managed to listen a little more and yes indeed pretty solid concerts and enjoyable ... Sound is to be applauded - during I Got A Woman their all enjoying marking JDs low notes A,B,C + etc and you can hear Elvis talking with the sweets discussing the merits of JDs performance (26th)- just fantastic! Love that .../Agree Help Me is nice a favourite of mine too. And I'll Remember You is breathtakingly beautiful ...really enjoying these concerts now ....Thanks

P.s The Jackson Five must have loved the show ...very professional ...
If anything was going to excite hit-making teen-agers in 1974, it would be professionalism.

And just look at the songs, not one but two Kris Kristofferson covers:

01 C. C. Rider - Chuck Willis cover
02 I Got A Woman / Amen
03 Love Me
04 Tryin' To Get To You
05 All Shook Up
06 Love Me Tender
07 You Don't Have To Say You Love Me - Dusty Sprnigfield cover
08 Hound Dog
09 Fever
10 Polk Salad Annie - Tony Joe White cover
11 Why Me Lord? - Kris Kristofferson cover
12 You Gave Me A Mountain - Frankie Laine cover
13 Suspicious Minds
14 Introductions
15 I Can't Stop Loving You - Ray Charles cover
16 Help Me Make It Through The Night - Kris Kristofferson cover
17 Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel cover
18 Let Me Be There - Olivia Newton-John cover
19 Big Boss Man - Jimmy Reed cover
20 Can't Help Falling In Love

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stevelecher »

Doc, I personally think Mountain started out as a Frankie Laine cover but became an Elvis song. Not many even remember Frankie Laine did it, then or now.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

stevelecher on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:20 am wrote:Doc, I personally think Mountain started out as a Frankie Laine cover but became an Elvis song. Not many even remember Frankie Laine did it, then or now.
you may mean a bit like Frank Sinatra and MY WAY

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Who's Frankie Laine? And the Dusty cover became an Elvis hit and gold record in its own right. So it shouldn't be bunched with other covers in a negative fashion.

drjohncarpenter

stevelecher on Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:20 pm wrote:Doc, I personally think Mountain started out as a Frankie Laine cover but became an Elvis song. Not many even remember Frankie Laine did it, then or now.
No one remembers "You Gave Me A Mountain" today, and certainly not as an "Elvis Presley song." But it was a top 25 single for Frankie Laine in 1969, and an MOR smash (yuck), and there were a bunch of cover versions before Presley added to his set in 1972.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Yes at the INFAMOUS closing Sept 2nd show 1974 Elvis introduces the song saying it wasn't personal and he heard Frankie Laine do it.....

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

I think a lot of people think of Mountain as an Elvis song. When I hosted some Elvis radio request shows these last half dozen years, Mountain is always requested, as is Trilogy. They are hallmarks of this phase of his career.

I do not think My Way has become an Elvis song in the way I'm saying Mountain is. No one has forgotten this is Sinatra's song.

drjohncarpenter

stevelecher on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:42 pm wrote:I think a lot of people think of Mountain as an Elvis song. When I hosted some Elvis radio request shows these last half dozen years, Mountain is always requested, as is Trilogy. They are hallmarks of this phase of his career.

I do not think My Way has become an Elvis song in the way I'm saying Mountain is. No one has forgotten this is Sinatra's song.
There is a clue in your reply as to why "Mountain is always requested."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

goldbelt
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by goldbelt »

Juan Luis on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:27 pm wrote:Who's Frankie Laine? And the Dusty cover became an Elvis hit and gold record in its own right. So it shouldn't be bunched with other covers in a negative fashion.
Mountain is nowhere to be found on the Frankie Laine hits compilation CD I purchased - and it's loaded with many of the records most famously associated with him. It's not like Elvis sang 'Rawhide' or 'Gunfight At O.K. Coral' live in concert ;)

One suspects the fact Elvis not only sang Mountain during the Aloha worldwide broadcast, but that it also featured on the hit album of the broadcast is more than enough for Elvis to be heavily associated with the song.

I love Dusty, got loads of her music, but don't often play YDHTSYLM by her. But Elvis studio version of YDHTSYLM is among my very favourites of all the material he recorded. And a live Elvis show is always improved by it's inclusion in the setlist.

Nothing wrong with cover versions anyway, especially when it's Elvis singing them, he usually does great interpretations of such material.

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

drjohncarpenter on Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:49 pm wrote:
stevelecher on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:42 pm wrote:I think a lot of people think of Mountain as an Elvis song. When I hosted some Elvis radio request shows these last half dozen years, Mountain is always requested, as is Trilogy. They are hallmarks of this phase of his career.

There is a clue in your reply as to why "Mountain is always requested."
I had nothing to do with what was requested. I was a guest for three hours, several shows over five years, on a local oldies radio show. Callers were told they could request anything Elvis ever recorded, not just hits. I brought all the masters with me to the station. It was amazing what was requested in addition to the hits: Judy, We're Coming In Loaded, Cotton Candy Land, Flaming Star, Walk A Mile In My Shoes, Edge Of Reality, amongst others. It was fun.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

StefanKock1 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:30 pm wrote:

Thanks

One good review wont hide the other 1000 bad ones...food for thoughts..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by Markus K. »

As much as I like Elvis voice in this late era in the game I was never happy with the concert repertoire and overall performance quality during that time. I don‘t like „Why me Lord“, no fan of „Help me“ and I can‘t stand the performances of „Fever“, „Suspicious Minds“ and „Love me“ to name just five songs typically done during these shows between March and July 74. As it is these Tahoe shows usually have all of them which is a shame as it ruins my joy even before I started listening. Nevertheless these tapes from May in Tahoe usually feature some of the best audio quality for soundboard recordings which finally results in me playing select tracks from that season every now and then. I am happy for you soundboard enthusiast who are celebrating whatever is offered. I just once again realized that I keep buying this stuff just for completionist sake and support the label but the fun seems to be gone for good.

drjohncarpenter

Markus K. on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:16 pm wrote:As much as I like Elvis voice in this late era in the game I was never happy with the concert repertoire and overall performance quality during that time. I don‘t like „Why me Lord“, no fan of „Help me“ and I can‘t stand the performances of „Fever“, „Suspicious Minds“ and „Love me“ to name just five songs typically done during these shows between March and July 74. As it is these Tahoe shows usually have all of them which is a shame as it ruins my joy even before I started listening. Nevertheless these tapes from May in Tahoe usually feature some of the best audio quality for soundboard recordings which finally results in me playing select tracks from that season every now and then. I am happy for you soundboard enthusiast who are celebrating whatever is offered. I just once again realized that I keep buying this stuff just for completionist sake and support the label but the fun seems to be gone for good.
Don't worry, maybe the label still has a few interesting items to share from the rehearsals and concerts done in 1969-1970. As we both know, Elvis' level of performance then was far superior to what came later.

1969 > 1970 > 1971 > 1972 > 1973 > 1974 > 1975 > 1976 > 1977

It's not rocket science. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by Markus K. »

Yes we all can live in hope here, hm?
Maybe we‘ll be even treated to another Vegas 69 show or „On Stage Volume 2“. Hell, I‘ll even take Vegas 72 mulitrack - I don‘t want to be picky ;-)

Jamie

Post by Jamie »

If we want to talk covers shouldn't we add Hound Dog and Fever? I tend to work on the basis that if Elvis recorded it in the studio then it is in his catalogue and therefore valid for the live set. Even if I would prefer otherwise. On the basis that RCA recorded a number of songs in Feb for Standing Room Only then I tend to think of Mountain as a legitimate part of the EP catalogue. Otherwise frankly an aweful lot of Elvis' songs would probably be classed as covers.

Cheers

Gator's got me Granny.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Markus K. on October 23rd, 2017, 9:25 am wrote:Yes we all can live in hope here, hm?
Maybe we‘ll be even treated to another Vegas 69 show or „On Stage Volume 2“. Hell, I‘ll even take Vegas 72 mulitrack - I don‘t want to be picky ;-)
An "On Stage volumen 2" would be certainly interesting as there is still some unreleased material not released by SONY/FTD :wink:. Like some of the material that was included in one of the best live package ever produced: Elvis-Rebooked At The International (Backdraft import label) :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.
flyer-rebooked.jpg
These are the original rough mixes made by Felton Jarvis in early 1970 in preparation for the up-coming ‘On Stage’ album. No repairs, No overdubs!
Source: http://www.elvisoncd.com/frame.htm?http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/import/boot.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

Ciscoking on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:19 am wrote:
StefanKock1 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:30 pm wrote:

Thanks

You should stop this bull ****. My posts on this messageboard confirm that I'm a fan of all periods, my collection (which has costed me 1000's of euro's in the past 28 years) tells that too. You're an arrogant, insulting piece of 'something'. You're always crying about being bullied, but let me tell you, you're the biggest bully in disguise on this very board. You should be ashamed of yourself !

drjohncarpenter

StefanKock1 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:15 am wrote:
Ciscoking on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:19 am wrote:
StefanKock1 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:30 pm wrote:Thanks for the reply ! In the meantime, a friend who has the cd's has ripped them and shared them with me while I'm waiting for them to become available in the ELvisMatters webshop (hopefully this week).

You should stop this bull sh*t. My posts on this messageboard confirm that I'm a fan of all periods, my collection (which has costed me 1000's of euro's in the past 28 years) tells that too. You're an arrogant, insulting piece of 'something'. You're always crying about being bullied, but let me tell you, you're the biggest bully in disguise on this very board. You should be ashamed of yourself !
Don't let his rudeness and bullying bother you, the rest of us appreciate your contributions here very much.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

a mess of polk salad

Markus K. on Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:16 am wrote:As much as I like Elvis voice in this late era in the game I was never happy with the concert repertoire and overall performance quality during that time. I don‘t like „Why me Lord“, no fan of „Help me“ and I can‘t stand the performances of „Fever“, „Suspicious Minds“ and „Love me“ to name just five songs typically done during these shows between March and July 74. As it is these Tahoe shows usually have all of them which is a shame as it ruins my joy even before I started listening. Nevertheless these tapes from May in Tahoe usually feature some of the best audio quality for soundboard recordings which finally results in me playing select tracks from that season every now and then. I am happy for you soundboard enthusiast who are celebrating whatever is offered. I just once again realized that I keep buying this stuff just for completionist sake and support the label but the fun seems to be gone for good.
Maybe it's time to join another forum bud ...?

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

Markus K. on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:16 am wrote:As much as I like Elvis voice in this late era in the game I was never happy with the concert repertoire and overall performance quality during that time. I don‘t like „Why me Lord“, no fan of „Help me“ and I can‘t stand the performances of „Fever“, „Suspicious Minds“ and „Love me“ to name just five songs typically done during these shows between March and July 74. As it is these Tahoe shows usually have all of them which is a shame as it ruins my joy even before I started listening. Nevertheless these tapes from May in Tahoe usually feature some of the best audio quality for soundboard recordings which finally results in me playing select tracks from that season every now and then. I am happy for you soundboard enthusiast who are celebrating whatever is offered. I just once again realized that I keep buying this stuff just for completionist sake and support the label but the fun seems to be gone for good.
If I ever get that way, please knock me down, step on my face and slander my name all over the place. Screw it! Go ahead and go as far as to burn my house, steal my car and drink my liquor from an old fruit jar.

I'll enjoy the soundboard shows until they are no more.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

I wish FTD would let Sebastian Jeansson rework the 1972 "An American Trilogy'' FTD multi-track recordings & work his magic like he did for the 60 Special FTD release

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by When In Rome »

Well, I managed to listen to 'The Last Movies' last night. It's not a bad CD at all, very similiar (obviously!) to the last volume of the Double Features series. The sound quality is fantastic, though by and large, for me anyway, the best tracks are on the first half of the CD which are the masters, undubbed masters and rough mixes. Great stuff. Once we get to the college medley the momentum is lost somewhat, the best bits of that medley (the Elvis bits!) we've had before and whilst 'Almost' is a nice little song in its completed form the outtakes reveal nothing radical. In fact, like the complete 'Roustabout' title song outtakes from the last soundtrack FTD, I found the whole process wears a little thin in no time at all. The CD wraps up with an alternate vocal of 'Let Us Pray' which is fine but the final track on the disc, the isolated vocal track of the same song, unfortunately does nothing for me but then I've never been too keen on isolated vocal tracks so one's mileage may vary.
All in all, it's certainly a worthy addition to the catalogue and was always going to be a slightly peculiar compilation because of these smaller 'leftover' soundtracks requiring this 'mopping up' strategy. The packaging is up to the usual standard and manages to give us all the usual kind of movie information we have been accustomed to with the soundtrack series with some nice images.
I give this a solid 7/10.
So what's left for the soundtrack series now? Only 'Kissin' Cousins', if I'm not mistaken. That should be fun! ...or something :wink:

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...