Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: New documentary: Elvis And That Girl From Vienna

Post by drjohncarpenter »

ForeverElvis wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:A very touching and respectful movie about an extremely strong woman. A recommendation for anyone to watch. Beautiful. At some points it brought a tear to my eye.

Good footage was shown as well. This is from one of the fragments, a short clip of footage I didn't see before. It's with Vernon and Elvis.

these look like they may have been taken on the set of Wild In The Country.
A bummer this documentary doesn't have subtitles, I'm not multilingual.
It's not from "Wild In The Country." This footage is from the end of filming the MGM movie "It Happened At The World's Fair." We see Elvis signing about $50,000 worth of checks for charity. Also note that the man seen here with the Presleys is then-Memphis mayor Henry Loeb's executive assistant Mark King. Loeb could not attend the Los Angeles presentation, and sent King in his place. One can read the words National Bank of Commerce on the checks, which was Elvis' bank in Memphis. The date of this ceremony may be November 8, 1962

A newspaper report indicated it was to make up for a promised benefit concert that did not happen. What a shame, we could have had one live Elvis show from 1962.
PLEDGE FULFILLED
Singer Elvis Presley signs 50 checks for $1,000 each for charitable organizations in Memphis, Tenn., to compensate for his inability to return to his home town to appear at a benefit as he had promised last year. His father, Vernon (left), and Mark King, executive assistant to the mayor of Memphis, assist on the set of MGM's "If Happened at the World's Fair." (UPI)

Asbury Park Press - Friday, November 9, 1962
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/144447717/

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years

Post by MikeFromHolland »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:You enjoy your documentary. I'll continue to appreciate the facts.
Yes, I will continue to enjoy the respectful way James Forsher wants to portrait his mother (and father). Thank you.

Sometimes respect to ones parents is more important than your "facts". If you don't agree, go tell James.

"Facts" in brackets for you weren't there when it happened, were you?
These are events from more than half a century ago. The people involved are deceased. I am sharing my knowledge of the situation, and the fact that the documentary is glossing over a portion of the story being told.

There is nothing ever disrespectful about appreciating and understanding what the facts tell us about the history being discussed. You seem to have some strange concern over "offending" people who are either dead, or will never know of what we talk about here.

Instead of being contemptuous to those who want to learn more, you should just bow out gracefully.
Have you confronted James already, that he's not faithful to the facts you know so well?

I'm just a respectful messenger. Yes, especially when people can't defend themselves anymore. It's the way I was brought up I guess. It's only them who know the facts. We only know stories. Don't sell them as 'facts', please, if your ego can handle that. Thank you.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter

MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:These are events from more than half a century ago. The people involved are deceased. I am sharing my knowledge of the situation, and the fact that the documentary is glossing over a portion of the story being told.

There is nothing ever disrespectful about appreciating and understanding what the facts tell us about the history being discussed. You seem to have some strange concern over "offending" people who are either dead, or will never know of what we talk about here.

Instead of being contemptuous to those who want to learn more, you should just bow out gracefully.
Have you confronted James already, that he's not faithful to the facts you know so well?

I'm just a respectful messenger. Yes, especially when people can't defend themselves anymore. It's the way I was brought up I guess. It's only them who know the facts. We only know stories. Don't sell them as 'facts', please, if your ego can handle that. Thank you.
These discussions are going over your head. Your defensiveness seems to betray an insecurity about them.

As I wrote, instead of being contemptuous to those who want to learn more by pointing out facts, you should just bow out gracefully.

Hope you enjoyed the information I just provided to the footage you could not identify. :smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:These are events from more than half a century ago. The people involved are deceased. I am sharing my knowledge of the situation, and the fact that the documentary is glossing over a portion of the story being told.

These discussions are going over your head.
Yeah, what you say is so extremely complicated, so hard to comprehend, it goes all over my head. Sleep on. Big child.

We just don't share the same value system. That's all.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter

MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:These discussions are going over your head. Your defensiveness seems to betray an insecurity about them.

As I wrote, instead of being contemptuous to those who want to learn more by pointing out facts, you should just bow out gracefully.

Hope you enjoyed the information I just provided to the footage you could not identify. :smt023

Yeah, what you say is so extremely complicated, so hard to comprehend, it goes all over my head. Sleep on. Big child.

Right. I like facts, you prefer stories.

Enjoy them all you want, but you'll look better if you do not condemn others for their preference for the historical record.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:These discussions are going over your head. Your defensiveness seems to betray an insecurity about them.

Right. I like facts, you prefer stories
Nope. Read back. You sell stories and call them facts. I just call them stories.

By now I really have the impression it all goes over your head :D and believe me, I'm not the only one :wink:

Lmao.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

elvis56
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by elvis56 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:You enjoy your documentary. I'll continue to appreciate the facts.
Yes, I will continue to enjoy the respectful way James Forsher wants to portrait his mother (and father). Thank you.

Sometimes respect to ones parents is more important than your "facts". If you don't agree, go tell James.

"Facts" in brackets for you weren't there when it happened, were you?
These are events from more than half a century ago. The people involved are deceased. I am sharing my knowledge of the situation, and the fact that the documentary is glossing over a portion of the story being told.

I dunno if it's been removed or not but I can't find the 'shared knowledge' of not quite the story, can you re post or share the facts doc

drjohncarpenter

elvis56 wrote:

I dunno if it's been removed or not but I can't find the 'shared knowledge' of not quite the story, can you re post or share the facts doc
I was not only speaking of my first-hand knowledge of the genesis of the documentary, having met James Forsher at his home, but also generally stating the fact that the suggestion made about his mom's leaving Parker was not quite correct. I also clearly identified the noted film footage that no one else was able to do. Given the behavior of the OP, I'll leave anything further to someone else regarding Trude's leaving the Presley camp.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote:I'll leave anything further to someone else regarding Trudi's leaving the Presley camp.
Trudi? Her name was Gertrude. They called her Trude.

To elvis56: if you google you'll find another reason why she "left the Presley camp". And when you ask her son you might yet hear another one. Her son decided to share the reason as given in the documentary as told by himself (after about 58 minutes in the docu). The lady he's telling the story to asks: "really?". And James nods: yes.

DJC now says that he's not telling the real story. So in the docu the son says it's A and FECC member DJC claims it's B.

There are facts and stories. In this case we have to do with stories. The two people who know the facts, the "real story", aren't around anymore: Trude and Parker. The man who comes closest, the son, James, tells us it's reason A.

He also has another project going on since 2012 and that's: writing/compiling a book of fan letters:

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

elvis56

Post by elvis56 »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I'll leave anything further to someone else regarding Trudi's leaving the Presley camp.
Trudi? Her name was Gertrude. They called her Trude.

To elvis56: if you google you'll find another reason why she "left the Presley camp". And when you ask her son you might yet hear another one. Her son decided to share the reason as given in the documentary as told by himself (after about 58 minutes in the docu). The lady he's telling the story to asks: "really?". And James nods: yes.

DJC now says that he's not telling the real story. So in the docu the son says it's A and FECC member DJC claims it's B.

There are facts and stories. In this case we have to do with stories. The two people who know the facts, the "real story", aren't around anymore: Trude and Parker. The man who comes closest, the son, James, tells us it's reason A.

He also has another project going on since 2012 and that's: writing/compiling a book of fan letters:

Thanx Mike, I thought the Doc was sharing his knowledge as claimed, thought I'd missed it, but seems it was a false claim after all. I'll google & view, thank you.
The screen grab footage has also been around for years on one of Tunzis dvds if I remember correctly (been a while since I've watched)

drjohncarpenter

elvis56 wrote:Thanx Mike, I thought the Doc was sharing his knowledge as claimed, thought I'd missed it, but seems it was a false claim after all. I'll google & view, thank you.
The screen grab footage has also been around for years on one of Tunzis dvds if I remember correctly (been a while since I've watched)
Yes, and completely misidentified on the JAT DVD. The knowledge I shared above is correct. As for the rest of what you write, I now see you had an entirely different agenda when you reached out to me. Duly noted, "elvis56."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis56 wrote:Thanx Mike, I thought the Doc was sharing his knowledge as claimed, thought I'd missed it, but seems it was a false claim after all. I'll google & view, thank you.
Yes, and completely misidentified on the JAT DVD. The knowledge I shared above is correct. As for the rest of what you write, I now see you had an entirely different agenda when you reached out to me. Duly noted, "elvis56."
Curious now- why did she leave her job with Col/Elvis? I only speak English so I don't understand the documentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always Elvis
Anthony

elvis56

Post by elvis56 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Hardly, I had a genuine question as I can't understand a word on that docu. u claimed u was giving facts to what I can't even understand on the film, but in fact it was just a pissing contest where u offered nothing to your original claim when I asked/reached out ...

DULY NOTED!!!

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

ForeverElvis wrote: Curious now- why did she leave her job with Col/Elvis? I only speak English so I don't understand the documentary.
The story as told in the documentary by her son James:

"Colonel Parker said: 'If you divorce, I will fire you. We don't want any scandals here'. My mother didn't believe him and got her divorce. After that, she didn't have a job anymore".

Not in the documentary, the letters she wrote to Parker about her problems with husband Bruno. Here's one reply by Parker:
1959 04 13 Letter from Parker to Trude - problems with husband Bruno.jpg

The story not in the documentary, is that Bruno thought Trude had an affair with either Elvis or Parker and got jealous. With the "scandal" Parker may have pointed to possible (and damaging) gossips that might got spread when she got divorced and kept on working for Parker and Elvis.

As said, James might have had his reasons to not tell this version of the story in his documentary, but he shared this earlier.

Also not in the documentary, but told by James as well somewhere else:

Trude almost got fired earlier, in 1957. He called it "The studio recording incident" in which Jude tried to get Elvis to record a song she and Byron Raphael wrote for him: "Castles In The Sand". On February 23 that was. According to "Elvis Presley: Caught in a Trap" by Spencer Leigh: "Elvis liked it, sang a few bars, decided it wasn't for him and started signing Bing Crosby's "True Love".
1957 05 07 Letter to Tom Diskin Studio Recording Incident Trude Forsher Tried to Get Elvis to Record a Song She Wrote .jpg

Byron Raphael was a William Morris agent-in-training at the time. A long interview with him can be found here: http://www.classicbands.com/ByronRaphaelInterview.html

Perhaps it's nice to know that she and Parker were keeping in touch for quite a while since then. Trude even tried to get working for him again in 1965:
1965 09 13 Letter to Trude Forsher.jpg

More info:
The Love Me Tender Years Diary Paperback – August 21, 2006
https://www.amazon.com/Love-Me-Tender-Years-Diary/dp/1419634704

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote: Curious now- why did she leave her job with Col/Elvis? I only speak English so I don't understand the documentary.

"Colonel Parker said: 'If you divorce, I will fire you. We don't want any scandals here'. My mother didn't believe him and got her divorce. After that, she didn't have a job anymore".

Not in the documentary, the letters she wrote to Parker about her problems with husband Bruno. Here's one reply by Parker:

The story not in the documentary, is that Bruno thought Trude had an affair with either Elvis or Parker and got jealous. With the "scandal" Parker may have pointed to possible (and damaging) gossips that might got spread when she got divorced and kept on working for Parker and Elvis.

As said, James might have had his reasons to not tell this version of the story in his documentary, but he shared this earlier.

Trude almost got fired earlier, in 1957. He called it "The studio recording incident" in which Jude tried to get Elvis to record a song she and Byron Raphael wrote for him: "Castles In The Sand". On February 23 that was. According to "Elvis Presley: Caught in a Trap" by Spencer Leigh: "Elvis liked it, sang a few bars, decided it wasn't for him and started signing Bing Crosby's "True Love".
1957 05 07 Letter to Tom Diskin Studio Recording Incident Trude Forsher Tried to Get Elvis to Record a Song She Wrote .jpg

Byron Raphael was a William Morris agent-in-training at the time. A long interview with him can be found here: http://www.classicbands.com/ByronRaphaelInterview.html

Perhaps it's nice to know that she and Parker were keeping in touch for quite a while since then. Trude even tried to get working for him again in 1965:

More info:

Thank you for the detailed answer, I appreciate you going to the effort. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always Elvis
Anthony

Christopher
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Christopher »

thank you, mike!
just a little extra info:
a good portion of that book can be read for free, after clicking on the cover picture ("look inside").
a fascinating story from the (few) years, when all was good for our boy
and another piece of the puzzle for us.

Give a man a fish and he´ll have dinner for a day.
Teach a man how to fish and he´ll have dinner for a lifetime!

(signature borrowed from treasured fecc member lovin´ EP Linda ... until she wants it back)

More important than ever: https://blacklivesmatter.com/

jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by jetblack »

drjohncarpenter wrote: I was not only speaking of my first-hand knowledge of the genesis of the documentary, having met James Forsher at his home
Can you provide documented evidence of this :) A pic of the 2 of you together will do. :lol:

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

G.I. Blues
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by G.I. Blues »

MikeFromHolland wrote:

More info:

You delivered, Mike! Thanks!

Daddy has left the Wohnzimmer!
Thank You and Good Night!

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

G.I. Blues wrote: You delivered, Mike! Thanks!
My pleasure :D

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Christopher wrote:thank you, mike!
just a little extra info:
a good portion of that book can be read for free, after clicking on the cover picture ("look inside").
a fascinating story from the (few) years, when all was good for our boy
and another piece of the puzzle for us.
Thank you!

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by elvis4life »

It seems that it was aired [in English] in Australia 9/10, but for Australian fans they can see it via SBS On Demand:

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1033809987922/elvis-and-the-girl-from-vienna

Elvis And The Girl From Vienna

Synopsis

In August 1956, Elvis Presley started shooting his first feature film, Love Me Tender. At his side was his manager, Colonel Tom Parker and his just-hired secretary, Trude Forsher from Vienna. Her son takes us through exclusive archive material, never before seen interviews with his mother and her story of the breakthrough years of The King.

DIRECTOR Kurt Langbein
CAST Elvis Presley
LANGUAGE English
COUNTRY USA
YEAR 2017
GENRE Documentary
LAST AIRED Sunday 10 September — SBS
EXPIRES 21 days left

elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by elvis4life »

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Felvismatters.com%2Findex.php%3Fpagina%3Dnieuws%26id%3D17977&sandbox=1

Elvis documentary on NPO2 Extra

On 21 but also on April 23, the theme channel NPO 2 Extra will broadcast the very interesting music documentary "Elvis And the Girl From Vienna"! In August 1956, Elvis Presley began filming his first feature film, "Love Me Tender." His side was Colonel Tom Parker, his manager, and his recently hired secretary, Trude Forsher. "Elvis and The Girl From Vienna" is Trude's account of how Elvis' career grew from a singing sensation in the southern United States into a global legend. During the five years that Trude worked with Elvis and the Colonel, she observed first-hand the legendary moments in Elvis's life.

The broadcast starts today at 3.30 p.m. but you can also watch this documentary in the replay on Tuesday April 23 at 9.55 p.m.

Published: April 21, 2019, 15:22

Published by: ElvisMatters - Jeroen Vanderschoot.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

elvis4life on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:50 am wrote:http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Felvismatters.com%2Findex.php%3Fpagina%3Dnieuws%26id%3D17977&sandbox=1

Elvis documentary on NPO2 Extra

On 21 but also on April 23, the theme channel NPO 2 Extra will broadcast the very interesting music documentary "Elvis And the Girl From Vienna"! In August 1956, Elvis Presley began filming his first feature film, "Love Me Tender." His side was Colonel Tom Parker, his manager, and his recently hired secretary, Trude Forsher. "Elvis and The Girl From Vienna" is Trude's account of how Elvis' career grew from a singing sensation in the southern United States into a global legend. During the five years that Trude worked with Elvis and the Colonel, she observed first-hand the legendary moments in Elvis's life.

The broadcast starts today at 3.30 p.m. but you can also watch this documentary in the replay on Tuesday April 23 at 9.55 p.m.

Published: April 21, 2019, 15:22

Published by: ElvisMatters - Jeroen Vanderschoot.

Thanks for the info!

Some photos from her archives:
1958 03 12.jpg
From Trudes archive 02.JPG
From Trudes Archive 03.JPG
From Trudes Archive 04.jpg
Elvis and Trude - dressing room 01.jpg
Elvis and Trude - dressing room 02.jpg
Elvis and Trude - dressing room 03.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...