Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
ORION
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Viva Las Vegas Vol. II or other ideas

Post by ORION »

After looking at all the pictures of Ann-Margret in another thread, I decided to give the VLV soundtrack another spin. I was amazed that it had been nearly 13-years since that soundtrack came out on FTD. I doubt, as much as I would enjoy it, that another volume of this soundtrack will come out on FTD. However, it could still happen. Here's to hoping that it does in the same manner that the second volume of GI Blues was done - re-mixed Masters and another round of outtakes.

That brings me to my next point. As we know by the excellent second disc on the Elvis For Everyone FTD, there are still several excellent movie song outtakes waiting to be unearthed. It would be a great 'moping-up' exercise for FTD to release a multi-volume two-CD set of the outtakes from the soundtrack years. In checking Keith Flynn's site, there are multiple outtakes from Blue Hawaii, Fun In Acapulco, Frankie & Johnny, Girl Happy, Clambake, Double Trouble, Spinout, etc.. that are still unreleased. This could also be a solution for the songs from Charro, The Trouble With Girls, and Change of Habit as well. These CDs of outtakes could be similar to the 90's 'Double Feature" releases from SONY except they would be outtakes only.
Last edited by ORION on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

DENBOW
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Re: Viva Las Vegas Vol. II or other ideas

Post by DENBOW »

ORION wrote:After looking at all the pictures of Ann-Margret in another thread, I decided to give the VLV soundtrack another spin. I was amazed that it had been nearly 13-years since that soundtrack came out on FTD. I doubt, as much as I would enjoy it, that another volume of this soundtrack will come out on FTD. However, it could still happen. Here's to hoping that it does in the same manner that GI Blues was done - re-mixed Masters and another round of outtakes.

That brings me to my next point. As we know by the excellent second disc on the Elvis For Everyone FTD, there are still several excellent movie song outtakes waiting to be unearthed. It would be a great 'moping-up' exercise for FTD to release a multi-volume two-CD set of the outtakes from the soundtrack years. In checking Keith Flynn's site, there are multiple outtakes from Blue Hawaii, Fun In Acapulco, Frankie & Johnny, Double Trouble, Spinout, etc.. Not to mention The Trouble With Girls and Change of Habit as well. These CDs of outtakes could be similar to the 90's 'Double Feature" releases from SONY.
sounds good to me hope it comes out soon :smt006

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by Eggrert »

Although VLV is far from my favourite soundtrack, I'd welcome a newly-remastered box-set treatment of the complete sessions. The current FTD sounds terrible, imo (very harsh and filtered).

clambake1967
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by clambake1967 »

All of Ftd titles prior to about 2007 have a sound not so good as later titles. So we need a vol 2 with new masters and outtakes of all of them imho

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

ORION wrote:After looking at all the pictures of Ann-Margret in another thread, I decided to give the VLV soundtrack another spin. I was amazed that it had been nearly 13-years since that soundtrack came out on FTD. I doubt, as much as I would enjoy it, that another volume of this soundtrack will come out on FTD. However, it could still happen. Here's to hoping that it does in the same manner that the second volume of GI Blues was done - re-mixed Masters and another round of outtakes.
Ideally, a remake of the original Viva Las Vegas FTD, using the improved masters issued by Sony in 2010, finding and including all the Ann-Margret work, and digging out the best of the available outtakes, would make for a very satisfying "classic album." In fact, to kick it off, I'd like to see the first 12 or 14 tracks represent what, in a perfect world, would have been the soundtrack LP in the summer of 1964. I have little doubt such a record could have topped the charts, despite the onslaught of the British Invasion. But logistics may be a problem for such dreams to follow in 2017-2018.

ORION wrote:That brings me to my next point. As we know by the excellent second disc on the Elvis For Everyone FTD, there are still several excellent movie song outtakes waiting to be unearthed. It would be a great 'moping-up' exercise for FTD to release a multi-volume two-CD set of the outtakes from the soundtrack years. In checking Keith Flynn's site, there are multiple outtakes from Blue Hawaii, Fun In Acapulco, Frankie & Johnny, Girl Happy, Clambake, Double Trouble, Spinout, etc.. that are still unreleased. This could also be a solution for the songs from Charro, The Trouble With Girls, and Change of Habit as well. These CDs of outtakes could be similar to the 90's 'Double Feature" releases from SONY except they would be outtakes only.
This may not be the best idea for several reasons. First, the quality and listenability of those soundtrack outtakes are not nearly as good as those studio outtakes included on the Elvis For Everyone FTD. Second, a double-disc FTD title that contains 100% soundtrack rejects is simply never going to be approved by Sony for release, not to mention that neither Ernst nor Roger would suggest such a thing.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
ORION

Post by ORION »

Ideally, a remake of the original Viva Las Vegas FTD, using the improved masters issued by Sony in 2010, finding and including all the Ann-Margret work, and digging out the best of the available outtakes, would make for a very satisfying "classic album." In fact, to kick it off, I'd like to see the first 12 or 14 tracks represent what, in a perfect world, would have been the soundtrack LP in the summer of 1964. I have little doubt such a record could have topped the charts, despite the onslaught of the British Invasion.

Doc - I can't argue with any of this at all. In fact, looking at the 2010 SONY release, all I can think is this would've been a helluva release. Like you said, possibly another number 1 album. Aaah well, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

First, the quality and listenability of those soundtrack outtakes are not nearly as good as those studio outtakes included on the Elvis For Everyone FTD. Second, a double-disc FTD title that contains 100% soundtrack rejects is simply never going to be approved by Sony for release, not to mention that neither Ernst nor Roger would suggest such a thing.

Doc - Either I misunderstand your statement or you are forgetting what the second disc of Elvis for Everyone on FTD is all about. All, or nearly all, of the outtakes on the second disc is soundtrack outtakes and to my old ears, they sound fantastic. Why is it you don't think Ernst could get SONY to greenlight the type of project I suggested? Maybe in the 5" format instead of the classic album size ?

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

skatterbrane wrote:..
No, no...don't like this duet. Almost horrible.

A beautiful song, but she ruins it...

drjohncarpenter

ORION wrote:Ideally, a remake of the original Viva Las Vegas FTD, using the improved masters issued by Sony in 2010, finding and including all the Ann-Margret work, and digging out the best of the available outtakes, would make for a very satisfying "classic album." In fact, to kick it off, I'd like to see the first 12 or 14 tracks represent what, in a perfect world, would have been the soundtrack LP in the summer of 1964. I have little doubt such a record could have topped the charts, despite the onslaught of the British Invasion.

Doc - I can't argue with any of this at all. In fact, looking at the 2010 SONY release, all I can think is this would've been a helluva release. Like you said, possibly another number 1 album. Aaah well, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

First, the quality and listenability of those soundtrack outtakes are not nearly as good as those studio outtakes included on the Elvis For Everyone FTD. Second, a double-disc FTD title that contains 100% soundtrack rejects is simply never going to be approved by Sony for release, not to mention that neither Ernst nor Roger would suggest such a thing.

Doc - Either I misunderstand your statement or you are forgetting what the second disc of Elvis for Everyone on FTD is all about. All, or nearly all, of the outtakes on the second disc is soundtrack outtakes and to my old ears, they sound fantastic. Why is it you don't think Ernst could get SONY to greenlight the type of project I suggested? Maybe in the 5" format instead of the classic album size ?
Disc 2 has both soundtrack and studio cuts, in the same way the original LP featured a similar mix. There are half as many studio cuts, though, on that second disc, I will admit. My point is the sessions you suggest simply do not offer enough quality in terms of performance or material to merit the kind of FTD release you suggest. And it would also go against Ernst and Roger's well-honed aesthetic for almost everything they've done in the past decade-plus,

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Shawn1968
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Shawn1968 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ORION wrote:After looking at all the pictures of Ann-Margret in another thread, I decided to give the VLV soundtrack another spin. I was amazed that it had been nearly 13-years since that soundtrack came out on FTD. I doubt, as much as I would enjoy it, that another volume of this soundtrack will come out on FTD. However, it could still happen. Here's to hoping that it does in the same manner that the second volume of GI Blues was done - re-mixed Masters and another round of outtakes.
Ideally, a remake of the original Viva Las Vegas FTD, using the improved masters issued by Sony in 2010, finding and including all the Ann-Margret work, and digging out the best of the available outtakes, would make for a very satisfying "classic album." In fact, to kick it off, I'd like to see the first 12 or 14 tracks represent what, in a perfect world, would have been the soundtrack LP in the summer of 1964. I have little doubt such a record could have topped the charts, despite the onslaught of the British Invasion. But logistics may be a problem for such dreams to follow in 2017-2018.

ORION wrote:That brings me to my next point. As we know by the excellent second disc on the Elvis For Everyone FTD, there are still several excellent movie song outtakes waiting to be unearthed. It would be a great 'moping-up' exercise for FTD to release a multi-volume two-CD set of the outtakes from the soundtrack years. In checking Keith Flynn's site, there are multiple outtakes from Blue Hawaii, Fun In Acapulco, Frankie & Johnny, Girl Happy, Clambake, Double Trouble, Spinout, etc.. that are still unreleased. This could also be a solution for the songs from Charro, The Trouble With Girls, and Change of Habit as well. These CDs of outtakes could be similar to the 90's 'Double Feature" releases from SONY except they would be outtakes only.
This may not be the best idea for several reasons. First, the quality and listenability of those soundtrack outtakes are not nearly as good as those studio outtakes included on the Elvis For Everyone FTD. Second, a double-disc FTD title that contains 100% soundtrack rejects is simply never going to be approved by Sony for release, not to mention that neither Ernst nor Roger would suggest such a thing.
How have you heard all of them?

drjohncarpenter

Shawn1968 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:This may not be the best idea for several reasons. First, the quality and listenability of those soundtrack outtakes are not nearly as good as those studio outtakes included on the Elvis For Everyone FTD. Second, a double-disc FTD title that contains 100% soundtrack rejects is simply never going to be approved by Sony for release, not to mention that neither Ernst nor Roger would suggest such a thing.
How have you heard all of them?
A good number of outtakes may be heard on import CDs, and I have heard them all. More importantly, if you are suggesting that there are enough remaining, complete outtake performances of quality material "from Blue Hawaii, Fun In Acapulco, Frankie & Johnny, Girl Happy, Clambake, Double Trouble, Spinout" that FTD would consider issuing in a double CD format, that is folly.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
ORION

Post by ORION »

if you are suggesting that there are enough remaining, complete outtake performances of quality material "from Blue Hawaii, Fun In Acapulco, Frankie & Johnny, Girl Happy, Clambake, Double Trouble, Spinout" that FTD would consider issuing in a double CD format, that is folly.

Doc- obviously, without having the complete session reels in front of me, I cannot accurately attest to what is available and not, but I do believe there are sufficient outtakes to fill a couple of discs worth of quality material. I do realize the idea of 'quality' is subjective, but there are songs like "You Don't Know Me", "All That I Am", "Can't Help Falling In Love", etc. that have multiple 'complete' tracks that have been unissued by FTD THAT have appeared on import CDs that we have both heard. Along with these, you add in the outtakes from Change of Habit, and The Trouble With Girls and you could have some fine releases that sufficiently 'mop up' the remaining outtakes that Ernst and co. have at their disposal.

And it would also go against Ernst and Roger's well-honed aesthetic for almost everything they've done in the past decade-plus,

I assume you mean the "Classic Album" format. True, it would go again the classic album format, but as you recall, the Classic Album format went against the the format that was first established by FTD. When Ernst & the team switched to the Classic format, there were several who bit**ed and moaned about having to 're-buy' outtakes that they already had on the 5" releases like Studio B or Long, Lonely Highway. So, yes, while this might go against the last decade, it wouldn't be the first time they've changed direction, and it would allow for the outtakes from COH and TTWG to finally make an appearance.

drjohncarpenter

ORION wrote: if you are suggesting that there are enough remaining, complete outtake performances of quality material "from Blue Hawaii, Fun In Acapulco, Frankie & Johnny, Girl Happy, Clambake, Double Trouble, Spinout" that FTD would consider issuing in a double CD format, that is folly.

Doc- obviously, without having the complete session reels in front of me, I cannot accurately attest to what is available and not, but I do believe there are sufficient outtakes to fill a couple of discs worth of quality material. I do realize the idea of 'quality' is subjective, but there are songs like "You Don't Know Me", "All That I Am", "Can't Help Falling In Love", etc. that have multiple 'complete' tracks that have been unissued by FTD THAT have appeared on import CDs that we have both heard. Along with these, you add in the outtakes from Change of Habit, and The Trouble With Girls and you could have some fine releases that sufficiently 'mop up' the remaining outtakes that Ernst and co. have at their disposal.

And it would also go against Ernst and Roger's well-honed aesthetic for almost everything they've done in the past decade-plus,

I assume you mean the "Classic Album" format. True, it would go again the classic album format, but as you recall, the Classic Album format went against the the format that was first established by FTD. When Ernst & the team switched to the Classic format, there were several who bit**ed and moaned about having to 're-buy' outtakes that they already had on the 5" releases like Studio B or Long, Lonely Highway. So, yes, while this might go against the last decade, it wouldn't be the first time they've changed direction, and it would allow for the outtakes from COH and TTWG to finally make an appearance.

The "classic album" decision was due to RCA's deletion of many catalog items at retail. It was a way of keeping them in print while giving each one a nice historical sheen for the hard core collector. And, honestly, the outtakes you suggest to fill a 2 CD title simply are not of a consistently high standard to see release. For the label to serve up this "mop up" idea would indicate the very bottom of the barrel has been reached.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Have been told many years ago that the complete recording session exist in the RCA/SONY vaults :smt020.

I´ll tell you why until now FTD hasn´t released an updated version yet :wink:. It´s because Ernst Jorgensen still think it would be unfair to re-release it and oblige the fans to spend their hard to earn money to get this.

Yes I know, it´s sounds wierd because he didn´t think the same when he redid FTD "Girl Happy" (new reels were found).... :roll:. Instead of an updated Viva Las Vegas 2 cd set, he has decided to include unreleased takes from this session on FTD Elvis For Everyone 2 cd set! :cry:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

drjohncarpenter

Mike Windgren wrote:Have been told many years ago that the complete recording session exist in the RCA/SONY vaults

I´ll tell you why until now FTD hasn´t released an updated version yet . It´s because Ernst Jorgensen still think it would be unfair to re-release it and oblige the fans to spend their hard to earn money to get this.

Yes I know, it´s sounds wierd because he didn´t think the same when he redid FTD "Girl Happy" (new reels were found)..... Instead of an updated Viva Las Vegas 2 cd set, he has decided to include unreleased takes from this session on FTD Elvis For Everyone 2 cd set!

Posts full of conjecture, while condemning Ernst and the Follow That Dream label, are very uncool. This one is another example. Please stop, as it misleads collectors here about the good work done by the FTD team.

Not sure who told you about "complete" session tapes for the 1963 MGM project, but they may have been taking advantage of your gullibility.

Ernst has made no public comment on a future FTD release of "Viva Las Vegas" material I am aware of.

The 2003 FTD of Girl Happy was primarily reissued in 2009 because a better quality tape was found of the album master.

There are NO outtakes from "Viva Las Vegas" on Elvis For Everyone (FTD, 2014).

Have a good day.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Tony C
Registered for: 9 years 10 months
Mood:

Post by Tony C »

Regarding the second version of the FTD Girl Happy package, they were in a no-win situation. When they issued the revised set because of a newly found tape they were accused of ripping fans off by "forcing" them to buy it again, releasing shoddy product the first time around, etc. If they had found the tape and thought "It's done, it's out there and it's not that great an album anyway so why bother" there would have been an outcry from the habitual complainers saying they were being denied the improved source. I'm sure Ernst realises that, at times, he just can't win.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Have been told many years ago that the complete recording session exist in the RCA/SONY vaults

I´ll tell you why until now FTD hasn´t released an updated version yet . It´s because Ernst Jorgensen still think it would be unfair to re-release it and oblige the fans to spend their hard to earn money to get this.

Yes I know, it´s sounds wierd because he didn´t think the same when he redid FTD "Girl Happy" (new reels were found)..... Instead of an updated Viva Las Vegas 2 cd set, he has decided to include unreleased takes from this session on FTD Elvis For Everyone 2 cd set!

Posts full of conjecture, while condemning Ernst and the Follow That Dream label.

Not sure who told you about "complete" session tapes for the 1963 MGM Project.

Ernst has made no public comment on a future FTD release of "Viva Las Vegas" material I am aware of.

The 2003 FTD of Girl Happy was primarily reissued in 2009 because a better quality tape was found of the album master.

There are NO outtakes from "Viva Las Vegas" on Elvis For Everyone (FTD, 2014).

Have a good day.
Sorry my mistake it was FTD Viva Las Vegas lp :smt020.

No public comment, no conjucture...., he told me face to face and that is a fact! :facep:. Bye for now :smt006.

drjohncarpenter

Mike Windgren wrote:Sorry my mistake it was FTD Viva Las Vegas lp
Mixing up the titles is forgivable, the rest of your post is not.

Please stop posting conjecture that is primarily meant to make FTD look bad.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
ORION

Post by ORION »

For the label to serve up this "mop up" idea would indicate the very bottom of the barrel has been reached.

Doc- I'm not looking for troop members by stating the following, but I do believe that your statement is true. We are reaching the critical level of the proverbial barrel. There are scant few studio sessions that have not been served up by Ernst and his FTD projects. I just believe there are many that have not been touched as thoroughly as I believe they could have been. That's why I suggested the 'moping-up' project in my initial post. It would serve as a way to add the long questioned nuggets of COH and TTWG soundtracks and how to best present them. As I stated earlier, the second disc of Elvis For Everyone (as an example) is quite an enjoyable listen. In fact, I feel as though it flows nicely and was assembled quite well.

Sorry my mistake it was FTD Viva Las Vegas lp

Mike - This further illustrates my point that there are sessions that contain worthy outtakes (an oxymoron for thought) that should be released before FTD shutters its doors. Better yet, as I initially said - Bring on a second volume of VLV with Sebastain and Vic behind the mixing desk and give us the ultimate soundtrack from this iconic Elvis & Ann-Margret movie. Remix these Masters with the care that was taken on the new Roustabout soundtrack. Time has shown that Lene Riedel simply just didn't have the ear for Elvis' music that others currently have.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Sorry my mistake it was FTD Viva Las Vegas lp
Mixing up the titles is forgivable, the rest of your post is not.

No conjucture, just fact! 8). Yes I apologized, something you still have to learn when you make mistakes.... :facep:. Bye for now :smt006.

drjohncarpenter

Mike Windgren wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Mixing up the titles is forgivable, the rest of your post is not.

No conjucture, just fact!
Yes, that is your goal. We hope you reach it.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Mixing up the titles is forgivable, the rest of your post is not.

No conjucture, just fact!
Yes, that is your goal. We hope you reach it.
Who is we? :shock:. You always speak for others.... :facep:. Bye for now :smt006.

drjohncarpenter

Mike Windgren wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Yes, that is your goal. We hope you reach it.
Who is we?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/memberlist.php

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Yes, that is your goal. We hope you reach it.
Who is we?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/memberlist.php
Ha :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Posts full of conjecture, while condemning Ernst and the Follow That Dream label, are very uncool. This one is another example. Please stop, as it misleads collectors here about the good work done by the FTD team.
This forum is not a love-in.