Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Domino
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

I Want You With Me.

Post by Domino »

I Want You With Me was written by Woody Harris (November 1, 1911 – February 19, 1985).
An American songwriter of the 1950s and 1960s, he was born in New York City , New York.
new-york-1950s1.jpg
Woody Harris did not have a large catalogue of songs but he did have several big names record his music and few collaborations with other writers.The most notable would be Bobby Darin.

ASCAP lists 32 compositions while BMI lists 13 .

Woody Harris wrote several songs that were recorded by Bobby Darin that were also co-written by Bobby Darin.

Some of the songs he wrote or co-wrote are :

Brand New House - co-write with Bobby Darin and recorded - 1958 . Also was recorded by Otis Spann.
Clementine - Bobby Darin - 1960.
Early in the Morning - co-write with Bobby Darin and recorded - 1958. Also was recorded by Buddy Holly.

Pity Miss Kitty - Bobby Darin - 1960.
Queen of the Hop - co-write with Bobby Darin and recorded - 1958.Also recorded by Dion and the Belmonts & Danny & the Juniors.

Real Love - co-write - (1958) - Jaye Sisters.
School’s Out - co-write - (1958) - Jaye Sisters.
You Never Called - Bobby Darin - 1958 .
Was There a Call for Me (flip side of Mack the Knife) - Bobby Darin - 1958.

He also wrote songs recorded by LaVern Baker - Dix-a-Billy (co-write with Paul Evans, Jack Reardon - 1959).
Guy Mitchell - Rock-a-Billy (co-write with Eddie V. Deane - 1957) - Reached #10 in the U.S and #1 in the U.K.

Della Reese, Lena Horne and Jimmy Witherspoon all recorded Some of My Best Friends Are the Blues - (co-write with Al Byron - 1967.

On March 12th,1961 , Elvis recorded the Woody Harris penned song called I Want You With Me.

From Elvis Presley - A Life In Music : The Complete Recording Sessions by Ernest Jorgensen .

"The aim at any Elvis session was to balance up-tempo material with ballads,and for the most part the rock 'n' roll songs were covers while the love songs represented original material.I Want You With Me was such a case ; the Woody Harris rocker was originally written with an arrangement straight out of the Fats Domino New Orleans tradition for the 1960 Bobby Darin For Teenagers Only(1958).Elvis ,who had met Darin in Las Vegas not long before the session,echoed his vocal phrasing ,while the band came up with it's own individualized brand of rock'n'roll."

The original recording appeared on the Bobby Darin album entitled For Teenagers Only from 1958 but was not released until September 1960.
for-teenagers-only.jpg

1-1960-july-26-bobby-darin-2.jpg
2-1960-july-26-bobby-darin.jpg
3-1960-july-26-bobby-darin.jpg
4-1960-july-26-bobby-darin-6.jpg

I Want You With Me was recorded by a few others.

Per "Elvis" Granberg & New Jordal Swingers - 1974
Paul Dragon with The Jordanaires - 1981

And also recorded by Rita Pavone in 2013.A very modern version.

The Rockin band on this Rockin Elvis record .

Musicians: Backup Vocals:
Guitar: Elvis Presley The Jordanaires: Gordon Stoker; Neal Matthews; Hoyt Hawkins; Ray Walker
Guitar: Scotty Moore Millie Kirkham
Guitar: Hank Garland
Bass: Bob Moore
Drums: D.J. Fontana
Drums: Murrey 'Buddy' Harman
Piano: Floyd Cramer
Saxophone: Homer 'Boots' Randolph

Recorded in just 2 takes at RCA Studio B in Nashville, Tennessee ,this song fit Elvis like a glove.This 1961 session was still in the Elvis Is Back stage and this Rocker song could easily have fit in the Elvis Is Back album.

Released on the Something For Everybody album on June 17, 1961.
hqdefault.jpg
Let's now hear how the session went down .

Take 1

The Master

Where I Went.

http://www.rockabilly.nl/references/messages/woody_harris.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Teenagers_Only
http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/610312.html#07
http://www.rockabilly.nl/references/messages/woody_harris.htm
http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/i/iwantyouwithme.shtml
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Mitchell
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_for_Everybody
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Domino on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

poormadpeter2

Re: I Want You With Me.

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Thanks for the post.

I don't agree with Ernst that Elvis echoes Bobby's phrasing particularly. Darin might have been a solid rock n roller, but Elvis knew this kind of material better than anyone and he completely blows Bobby's version out of the water. Darin's rendition is held back by the awful backing singers and the fact that the song never really finds a comfortable groove - there's something awkward about the whole thing despite Bobby's rather raw vocal which seems to be channelling his idol, Ray Charles, just a little bit. Elvis's recording on the other hand is brilliantly executed and suffers from none of these problems. The mono and stereo versions by Darin are different takes, with the stereo version first being issued on the 1964 Clarion LP "Clementine" and only reappearing with the CD issue of For Teenagers Only on the Collector's Choice label.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

One of the last attempts to throw back his sound to the fifties. The material is good, but somehow not great. Still, not a bad master at all.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Domino

Post by Domino »

drjohncarpenter wrote:One of the last attempts to throw back his sound to the fifties. The material is good, but somehow not great. Still, not a bad master at all.

It may not be quite up where the 1950's recordings were and maybe a couple steps down from 1960 but it was a whole lot better then what was to come in the next few years.Fast forward to 1967/68/69/70 and then the Something For Everybody album gets blown out of the water.

ImageImage

Topic author
Domino

Post by Domino »

poormadpeter2 wrote:Thanks for the post.

I don't agree with Ernst that Elvis echoes Bobby's phrasing particularly. Darin might have been a solid rock n roller, but Elvis knew this kind of material better than anyone and he completely blows Bobby's version out of the water. Darin's rendition is held back by the awful backing singers and the fact that the song never really finds a comfortable groove - there's something awkward about the whole thing despite Bobby's rather raw vocal which seems to be channelling his idol, Ray Charles, just a little bit. Elvis's recording on the other hand is brilliantly executed and suffers from none of these problems. The mono and stereo versions by Darin are different takes, with the stereo version first being issued on the 1964 Clarion LP "Clementine" and only reappearing with the CD issue of For Teenagers Only on the Collector's Choice label.

Yeah,I don't see a lot of what Elvis did with the song coming from Bobby's version.Bobby sounds kind of clumsy .I don't see Bobby Darin as a solid rocker.That was Elvis's game and I think Elvis took the song to a place out of Bobby's reach.I agree that Elvis's recording was brilliantly executed.

ImageImage

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Thanks for this! Very informative. The Bobby Darin version lyrics are a bit different from Elvis' including, "I want you to be my wife! Elvis was not going to touch that line, especially in 1960! LOL..

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by Davelee »

Domino wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:Thanks for the post.

Yeah,I don't see a lot of what Elvis did with the song coming from Bobby's version.Bobby sounds kind of clumsy .I don't see Bobby Darin as a solid rocker.That was Elvis's game and I think Elvis took the song to a place out of Bobby's reach.I agree that Elvis's recording was brilliantly executed.
Yeah, Darin certainly is no "solid rocker" he's never been seen that way.

As for the song I Want You With Me i think its a terrific perfromance, a great rocker! Love the line "there is no mountain that i can't climb, you find a mountain child and i won't have the time" and the power thumping of DJs drums when he hits "and i won't have the time". Though the performance is light years away from his 50s rockers but its still great.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Its a great song, right in Elvis' wheelhouse. A real rocker on side2 of that LP. Basically Elvis stopped doing these types of bluesy rock songs after this LP, or if he did, didnt sing them with the same gusto. I like the Darin version, but there is no comparison. BTW, that is a good Darin album.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Davelee wrote: As for the song I Want You With Me i think its a terrific perfromance, a great rocker! Love the line "there is no mountain that i can't climb, you find a mountain child and i won't have the time" and the power thumping of DJs drums when he hits "and i won't have the time". Though the performance is light years away from his 50s rockers but its still great.
Davelee, I agree with your opinion of I Want You With Me. But for the record I'm pretty sure the line is: "You find the mountain child and I will find the time."

r&b

Post by r&b »

Pete Dube wrote:
Davelee wrote: As for the song I Want You With Me i think its a terrific perfromance, a great rocker! Love the line "there is no mountain that i can't climb, you find a mountain child and i won't have the time" and the power thumping of DJs drums when he hits "and i won't have the time". Though the performance is light years away from his 50s rockers but its still great.
Davelee, I agree with your opinion of I Want You With Me. But for the record I'm pretty sure the line is: "You find the mountain child and I will find the time."
That is correct

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Davelee wrote: Yeah, Darin certainly is no "solid rocker" he's never been seen that way.
And you own exactly HOW many of his recordings from the 550 or so he made?

While Darin didn't choose to record much rock music, that doesn't mean he wasn't good at it - although I Want You With Me hardly shows him at his best, which was why it sat in the vaults for two years and issued on a hastily gathered together collection of music for the teenage market that Darin had all but deserted for a year by the time of the LP's release. It was to issued just to keep the younger fans happy.

It is very clear from anyone that knows Darin's music that he was a very solid rocker - and here he is in 1973 on Midnight Special proving just that, despite being extremely ill.

It appears the Youtube insertion button isn't working, so here's the link: https://youtu.be/9_oog7ErqXk?t=3m51s

While I don't ever imagine Elvis on a 1970s talk show, it would have been really quite something to have seen him on Midnight Special, rocking out with the abandon that Darin does here and on other clips from the period.

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
Davelee wrote: Yeah, Darin certainly is no "solid rocker" he's never been seen that way.

While Darin didn't choose to record much rock music, that doesn't mean he wasn't good at it - although I Want You With Me hardly shows him at his best, which was why it sat in the vaults for two years and issued on a hastily gathered together collection of music for the teenage market that Darin had all but deserted for a year by the time of the LP's release. It was to issued just to keep the younger fans happy.

It is very clear from anyone that knows Darin's music that he was a very solid rocker - and here he is in 1973 on Midnight Special proving just that, despite being extremely ill.

It appears the Youtube insertion button isn't working, so here's the link: https://youtu.be/9_oog7ErqXk?t=3m51s

While I don't ever imagine Elvis on a 1970s talk show, it would have been really quite something to have seen him on Midnight Special, rocking out with the abandon that Darin does here and on other clips from the period.
Bobby Darin is not a known "solid rocker" fact. And i never said he couldn't rock - by your own words he didn't record much rock, so therefore he is not a "known" rocker, he's more of a Sinatra-type singer had a couple of pop hits "Dream Lover" being one - which is basically, outside of his fan base, the song hes basically known for.

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Fantastic thread!

Here's a 1961 version of I Want You With Me in French.

Les Vautours with "Ne Me Dis Pas Non".

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Davelee wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:

Bobby Darin is not a known "solid rocker" fact. And i never said he couldn't rock - by your own words he didn't record much rock, so therefore he is not a "known" rocker, he's more of a Sinatra-type singer had a couple of pop hits "Dream Lover" being one - which is basically, outside of his fan base, the song hes basically known for.
You said quite clearly he couldn't rock.

"Darin certainly is no solid rocker." They're your words. You wrote them.

And I said quite clearly than anyone who knows Darin's music (which you don't) would know just how good he was. I said nothing about him primarily being known for his rock output.

One of us has written a well-received book on Darin, one of us hasn't. When you've listened to his work beyond the 3 tracks you've already heard, then we can have a proper discussion. As for Dream Lover being the song he's principally known for, you seem to have missed Mack the Knife which hit #1 in America (you know, the only country that counts) for nine weeks!
Last edited by poormadpeter2 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Bobby Darin Rocks on Bear Family features Bobby at his rockin best. In fact he may just give the best Elvis impersonation ever on Mighty Mighty Man. 35 tracks and I Want You With me is on there. Its one of my favorite CDs.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

r&b wrote:Bobby Darin Rocks on Bear Family features Bobby at his rockin best. In fact he may just give the best Elvis impersonation ever on Mighty Mighty Man. 35 tracks and I Want You With me is on there. Its one of my favorite CDs.
Quite clearly davelee needs an education.

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by MikeFromHolland »

r&b wrote:Bobby Darin Rocks on Bear Family features Bobby at his rockin best. In fact he may just give the best Elvis impersonation ever on Mighty Mighty Man. 35 tracks and I Want You With me is on there. Its one of my favorite CDs.
O yes!

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
Davelee wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:

And I said quite clearly than anyone who knows Darin's music (which you don't) would know just how good he was. I said nothing about him primarily being known for his rock output.

One of us has written a well-received book on Darin, one of us hasn't. When you've listened to his work beyond the 3 tracks you've already heard, then we can have a proper discussion. As for Dream Lover being the song he's principally known for, you seem to have missed Mack the Knife which hit #1 in America (you know, the only country that counts) for nine weeks!
Lets get a few things right here.Yes, i said hes no solid rocker - meaning he's not a solid rocker and hes not known for it, so hes done a some rocking tunes that doesn't make him a "solid rocker" - fact. Elvis has done a few country songs but hes not known for country music or a "solid country" singer - fact.

Also, how do you know what i know about Bobby Darin? You have never met me or seen me and you certainly would not know the types of music i'm into....other then knowing i like Elvis, being a member of this forum would give that clue, you absolutely would not know the details of my collection. And i know a lot more then 3 Bobby Darin tunes. So you've written a book about your opinion on Darins music, big deal, that doesn't mean to say i don't know about his music and what songs hes done just because i'vr not written a book about him. So before you start shooting your mouth off and making rude remarks think before you speak.
Last edited by Davelee on Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

Yeah, Mighty Mighty Man vocally is impersonating Elvis but the backing is more swing orientated but hes not a "solid rocker". The B. Family CD is good stuff! But he was more of a Sinatra-type singer.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Davelee wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
Davelee wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:

Lets get a few things right here.Yes, i said hes no solid rocker - meaning he's not a solid rocker and hes not known for it, so hes done a some rocking tunes that doesn't make him a "solid rocker" - fact. Elvis has done a few country songs but hes not known for country music or a "solid country" singer - fact.

Also, how do you know what i know about Bobby Darin? You have never met me or seen me and you certainly would not know the types of music i'm into....other then knowing i like Elvis, being a member of this forum would give that clue, you absolutely would not know the details of my collection. And i know a lot more then 3 Bobby Darin tunes. So you've written a book about your opinion on Darins music, big deal, that doesn't mean to say i don't know about his music and what songs hes done just because i'vr not written a book about him. So before you start shooting your mouth off and making rude remarks think before you speak.
So now Elvis wasn't a solid country singer? Riiiight.

You do understanding how we are using the word "solid" here, right? Do we have to get the dictionary out to help you along every time we converse?
At first glance, solid appears to be a simple word, but it really offers shades of meaning. A solid friend is dependable. If you give a solid performance, it was very good, though not quite great. Likewise, if you achieve a solid win, you win by a large, but not huge, majority. In a less figurative use, if a piece of chocolate is solid — as opposed to hollow — it is chocolate throughout.
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/solid
As for Mighty Mighty Man, if you really think that backing is "swing" then I suggest that you sit back and do some reading on popular music before posting again.

brian
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by brian »

Good thread and Great post Domino.

I hope poormadpeter doesn't get this good thread off topic.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

brian wrote:Good thread and Great post Domino.

poormadpeter was never trying to get thread off topic - my original post added to the thread. Sadly someone seems intent on arguing about it.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Impossible!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

poormadpeter2 wrote:

poormadpeter was never trying to get thread off topic - my original post added to the thread. Sadly someone seems intent on arguing about it.
Rubbish!! My initial post was in response to Domino's assertion that he doesn't see Darin as a "solid rocker" and i agreed with him. You, however, came along with your usual rude manner accusing me of not knowing anything about Darin and his music and making derogatory remarks on how i need a dictionary to understand - so, it is you whos clearly out for an arguement.

brian
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by brian »

I liked the entire Something for Everybody LP I feel it's underrated.