A look back at Elvis in Huntsville - WHNT News (nice photos)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Re: A look back at Elvis in Huntsville - WHNT News (nice pho

Post by Robert »

midnightx wrote:
Robert wrote: I stand by my case that June 1st is on par with other shows from the tour.
Which only further emphasizes that Elvis' live work from the summer of 1975 is vastly overrated by some.
That's your negative assumption. But you are quite alone on that one, except for maybe 2-3 people sharing that view?
In general June 75 is still considered solid by most fans and press.
So there's no overrating here.
Now, to bring more perspective to this period, I do consider 1975 as a transition year before things turned significantly worse.
But if you compare March/May/June 75 to October 74, Elvis actually improved over time, only to end up in a free fall after December = fact.

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

Robert wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Robert wrote: I stand by my case that June 1st is on par with other shows from the tour.
Which only further emphasizes that Elvis' live work from the summer of 1975 is vastly overrated by some.
In general, the June 1975 shows are good, Huntsville exempted, but the vocals are often a bit wobbly. He was not in what I would label strong voice. Leave the rose-colored glasses next to the CD player, Robert, and put on headphones and listen closely. The truth is in the ear of the listener.
Again, I don't know about all Huntville shows.
You may even be right but I'd rather hear by myself than just accepting the generic view that all 5 shows were bad.
My observation is that June 1 (Huntsville closing) is a good show and the shortcomings (yes, there are a few) are no worse than any other June 75 show.
No one is talking about the first show. It's not available. The biggest problem with Huntsville is the hype. They have been talked up too much.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

Ken Jensen wrote:
Robert wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:
midnightx wrote:
In general, the June 1975 shows are good, Huntsville exempted, but the vocals are often a bit wobbly. He was not in what I would label strong voice. Leave the rose-colored glasses next to the CD player, Robert, and put on headphones and listen closely. The truth is in the ear of the listener.
Again, I don't know about all Huntville shows.
You may even be right but I'd rather hear by myself than just accepting the generic view that all 5 shows were bad.
My observation is that June 1 (Huntsville closing) is a good show and the shortcomings (yes, there are a few) are no worse than any other June 75 show.
No one is talking about the first show. It's not available. The biggest problem with Huntsville is the hype. They have been talked up too much.
The buildup to the 5 concerts had to be super exciting in 1975.
Elvis totally owned the area in Alabama.. 100% Elvis territory at the time.
There are tons of newspaper articles and Chris Brown did a great job taking you on that journey in his book.
Soundboards are nice but only provide a fraction of the total experience at the time.
And 41 years later few people are stating these were bad shows featuring a drugged up Elvis.
The contrast can't be bigger.

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Post by Davelee »

lovin' EP wrote:This is a photo of Elvis wearing my hat and sunshades I gave him in Huntsville on Labor Day, early show, 1976.

Elvisly,

Linda
Huntsville76.jpg
Thank you Linda for sharing this wonderful memory with us.

Moderator3
Forum Moderator
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by Moderator3 »

!
All Members:
A reminder........This topic is for discussion of "A look back at Elvis in Huntsville - WHNT News (nice photos)". NOT discussion of particular members past or present. Disagree with something? Then argue your point without bringing personal attacks. Discuss and debate the topic at hand WITHOUT making it personal. Being a discussion forum, all viewpoints are welcome. Don't like that? See above. There is room for everyone. Everyone is welcome to debate CIVILLY. If the personal attacks continue, suspensions will be given. It doesn't matter who you are.

Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Ciscoking »

In all honesty I think that this tour No. 14 from 1975 is one of the bes Elvis ever gave..it was a wild one...in every sense..fantastico..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Deleted User 1099

Ciscoking wrote:In all honesty I think that this tour No. 14 from 1975 is one of the bes Elvis ever gave..it was a wild one...in every sense..fantastico.
One of the best tours? I can mention at least nine that are better. Comments like that make you lose your credibility.

Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Ciscoking »

Ken Jensen wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:In all honesty I think that this tour No. 14 from 1975 is one of the bes Elvis ever gave..it was a wild one...in every sense..fantastico.
One of the best tours? I can mention at least nine that are better. Comments like that make you lose your credibility.
There might be 9 better ones..no problem..we have a total of 29..btw..and please leave my opinion up to me..without being rude..credibility...in your eyes doesnt bother me.btw...cause you have an agenda...like a few others here for years have.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Deleted User 1099

Ciscoking wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:In all honesty I think that this tour No. 14 from 1975 is one of the bes Elvis ever gave..it was a wild one...in every sense..fantastico!
There might be 9 better ones..no problem..we have a total of 29..btw..and please leave my opinion up to me..without being rude..credibility...in your eyes doesnt bother me.btw...cause you have an agenda...like a few others here for years have.
I have no agenda whatsoever. Except, perhaps, get you to label concerts correctly (as we all know, you have trouble separating single dates from double dates, which creates confusion for new learners). You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but I deal in fact. And the fact is, the May/June 1975 tour is not one of the best. It's a good tour by all means, but there are between nine and twelve that are better, and then I haven't counted the fifties, obviously, or it would be even further down the list.

You also seem to have trouble with the terms "best" and "favorite". For instance, the first Vegas season is the best, but that does not mean you have to like it. Your favorite Vegas season may very well be the last, which is the worst. My favorite season is the third. This is where we find the best shows. However, the season as a whole is not better than the previous two. Elvis is not focused enough for that. I know you have trouble with finer nuances like this, but please try to wrap your head around it. It will do you a world of good. I promise.

Davelee
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Post by Davelee »

Ken Jensen wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:In all honesty I think that this tour No. 14 from 1975 is one of the bes Elvis ever gave..it was a wild one...in every sense..fantastico..
I have no agenda whatsoever. Except, perhaps, get you to label concerts correctly (as we all know, you have trouble separating single dates from double dates, which creates confusion for new learners). You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but I deal in fact. And the fact is, the May/June 1975 tour is not one of the best. It's a good tour by all means, but there are between nine and twelve that are better, and then I haven't counted the fifties, obviously, or it would be even further down the list.

You also seem to have trouble with the terms "best" and "favorite". For instance, the first Vegas season is the best, but that does not mean you have to like it. Your favorite Vegas season may very well be the last, which is the worst. My favorite season is the third. This is where we find the best shows. However, the season as a whole is not better than the previous two. Elvis is not focused enough for that. I know you have trouble with finer nuances like this, but please try to wrap your head around it. It will do you a world of good. I promise.
If could, i'd like to ask a question: i've heard/read that Ciscoking is a consultant for FTD concerning live shows in the70s, considering hos rather strange behaviour on 70s shows, how is that so?

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Davelee wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:In all honesty I think that this tour No. 14 from 1975 is one of the bes Elvis ever gave..it was a wild one...in every sense..fantastico..

If could, i'd like to ask a question: i've heard/read that Ciscoking is a consultant for FTD concerning live shows in the70s, considering hos rather strange behaviour on 70s shows, how is that so?
It is disturbing.

Deleted User 1099

midnightx wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:

It is disturbing.
Are you saying you didn't like Odessa '76?

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

I like tour number 14. I miss some of the material or line up from the march Vegas season, and my theory is that as he was thinner than on the previos 1975 tour and vegas engagement he moved more, hence resulting in breath problems. The first show on dixieland delight ftd is an example of breathing problems and tonal difficulties . The second cd, and of course other shows from the tour are better. Indeed is one of those tours where i'd be happy with one of the shows and a second cd of bonus performances.

BTW, which is the best concert from this tour for you?

Iván

La voz del Rey

frus75

Post by frus75 »

Linda ,could you share stories from the 1976 shows? I was surprised by the afternoon show as released by Ernst on Elvis In Alabama FTD cd, I didn't expect it to be that reasonable good, you all may throw stones at me, but I dismiss many soundboard, but keep that and west coast tours.

Iván

La voz del Rey

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by vinelvis »

I agree! I think the shows are good and entertaining. I also like the 1976 Huntsville shows by the way.

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

I am not going to get into the back-and-forth which has taken over this thread. However, I enjoyed the Odessa '76 release. I've sat back with a soft drink, listened to it, and enjoyed the show. It's part of Elvis' life and career. Go ahead and BOO me if you must, but I find it enjoyable. I am grateful for all the efforts of FTD and Sony. Just my two cents.......

rlj

Deleted User 1099

frus75 wrote:Linda ,could you share stories from the 1976 shows? I was surprised by the afternoon show as released by Ernst on Elvis In Alabama FTD cd, I didn't expect it to be that reasonable good, you all may throw stones at me, but I dismiss many soundboard, but keep that and west coast tours.
Alabama and West Coast are my projects. Glad to hear you like them.

frus75

Post by frus75 »

Ken Jensen wrote:
frus75 wrote:Linda ,could you share stories from the 1976 shows? I was surprised by the afternoon show as released by Ernst on Elvis In Alabama FTD cd, I didn't expect it to be that reasonable good, you all may throw stones at me, but I dismiss many soundboard, but keep that and west coast tours.
Alabama and West Coast are my projects. Glad to hear you like them.
A pleasure Sir, keep the good work. West Coast covered a -mostly- unknown tour on the soundboard medium. And the sound was great. I liked the shows enough to keep them. Alabama was different, we all 90's fans knew still rocking the nation by heart, so I bought with some fear, as I suspected an afternoon gig wasn't a good bet in the summer of 76. I was gladly surprised. That's why I ask Linda if she was at the afternoon show.

Anyway, Elvis In Alabama, Chicago Stadium, West Coast Tours and Show time show the way to represent the elvis tours from the 70's for me.

Iván

La voz del Rey