One billion records sold according to Guiness World Records

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

r&b

Re: One billion records sold according to Guiness World Reco

Post by r&b »

I believe it. There are members here who probably have Hound Dog the 5,000 times it was issued! Since 50,000,000 Elvis fans cant be wrong, do the math!

Bodie
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Bodie »

brian wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:I seem to recall that 100 million sales were achieved by, and announced in, 1964. 52 years later and with several changes of formats along the way, not to mention endless reissues, I am perfectly willing, now, to accept the 1 billion sales figure, first claimed about 20 (?) years ago.
Elvis didn't sell 100 million records by 1964 that was just PR hype by RCA.
I believe that figure.

By the end of 1963, Elvis had released 19 albums.

His biggest sales were in singles, most being million sellers.

'Its Now Or Never' was his biggest selling single with sales over 20 million.

Then there was
'Hound Dog' 10 million sales.
'Don't Be Cruel' 6 million sales.
'Are You Lonesome Tonight' 5 million sales.
'Surrender' 5 million sales.

Several other singles with a couple of million sales each easily brings it up to 100 million by 1964.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

These figures are impressive, but please tell us where is the source for these. It's Now or Never reached 20 million sales? Surrender 5 million sales???? Are You Lonesome Tonight 5 million sales? Hound Dog 10 millions???? I doubt it.

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

jurasic1968 wrote:These figures are impressive, but please tell us where is the source for these. It's Now or Never reached 20 million sales? Surrender 5 million sales???? Are You Lonesome Tonight 5 million sales? Hound Dog 10 millions???? I doubt it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_singles

Scarre
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Scarre »

jurasic1968 wrote:These figures are impressive, but please tell us where is the source for these. It's Now or Never reached 20 million sales? Surrender 5 million sales???? Are You Lonesome Tonight 5 million sales? Hound Dog 10 millions???? I doubt it.
You can doubt it all you want...the much hated...on this message board...nowhere else :D "My Boy" sold 1,5 millions...
or was it 2 millions...

Steve Morse
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Steve Morse »

brian wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:I seem to recall that 100 million sales were achieved by, and announced in, 1964. 52 years later and with several changes of formats along the way, not to mention endless reissues, I am perfectly willing, now, to accept the 1 billion sales figure, first claimed about 20 (?) years ago.
Why, in 1964, would they need to lie ?

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

Steve Morse
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Steve Morse »

Bodie wrote:
Stop confusing people with the facts :D

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

brian
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by brian »

Steve Morse wrote:
brian wrote:
Because back in those days artists didn't sell a lot of records so record labels would make up stories about how much their artists had sold to make it sound better.

100 million records worldwide over 8 years sounds better than the more plausible 25 million.

FredAistair
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by FredAistair »

brian wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:
brian wrote:
Because back in those days artists didn't sell a lot of records so record labels would make up stories about how much their artists had sold to make it sound better.

100 million records worldwide over 8 years sounds better than the more plausible 25 million.
It is probable that in those times singles sales were quite strong and more so than now.

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

brian wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:
brian wrote:

Seems a bit daft to me that RCA would claim that Elvis sold more records than he actually did knowing that they would have to pay tax to the IRS from those record sales.

Brian Quinn

Post by Brian Quinn »

It is SONY policy not to release record sales details to the general public, particularly back catalogue ones. The main reason for this is that the record industry is an extremely competitive one and if they release such details then one of its competitors will immediately claim one of their acts has sold more. The outcome of this would be that if the public perceive something is real it will be real in its consequences. More people will start buying or collecting that acts records. People do not want to be hitched to a loser. Record statistics are also very difficult to prove due to different eras with different standards. In the modern era, Rihanna has already achieved 100 million song certifications and Justin Bieber is the King of streaming. Downloading and streaming have completely changed the ballgame. They are the modern measurements of success. One of Elvis' main measurements of success is longevity. However, one cannot really compare one era with another. Suffice it to say that Crosby, Sinatra, Presley, Beatles and Jackson were the most popular at their peak and beat all competitors. Luckily Elvis is still selling well (when he receives sufficient marketing) and his iconic status is unsurpassed - I, for one, am grateful for that. I appreciate that some fans are not really interested in record sales or measures of popularity and only wish to enjoy the music and that is fine with me. in conclusion, I cannot think of any other artist or group who has such a label as FTD which has served us magnificently throughout the years thanks to Ernst Jorgensen and Roger Semon. Long may it continue.

Brian

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

Brian Quinn wrote:It is SONY policy not to release record sales details to the general public, particularly back catalogue ones. The main reason for this is that the record industry is an extremely competitive one and if they release such details then one of its competitors will immediately claim one of their acts has sold more. The outcome of this would be that if the public perceive something is real it will be real in its consequences. More people will start buying or collecting that acts records. People do not want to be hitched to a loser. Record statistics are also very difficult to prove due to different eras with different standards. In the modern era, Rihanna has already achieved 100 million song certifications and Justin Bieber is the King of streaming. Downloading and streaming have completely changed the ballgame. They are the modern measurements of success. One of Elvis' main measurements of success is longevity. However, one cannot really compare one era with another. Suffice it to say that Crosby, Sinatra, Presley, Beatles and Jackson were the most popular at their peak and beat all competitors. Luckily Elvis is still selling well (when he receives sufficient marketing) and his iconic status is unsurpassed - I, for one, am grateful for that. I appreciate that some fans are not really interested in record sales or measures of popularity and only wish to enjoy the music and that is fine with me. in conclusion, I cannot think of any other artist or group who has such a label as FTD which has served us magnificently throughout the years thanks to Ernst Jorgensen and Roger Semon. Long may it continue.

Brian
Good post!

brian
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by brian »

Bodie wrote:
brian wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:
brian wrote:

Seems a bit daft to me that RCA would claim that Elvis sold more records than he actually did knowing that they would have to pay tax to the IRS from those record sales.
oh all record labels did that. For example does anyone believe that Bing Crosby sold 600 million records like Decca claimed back then.

They didn't have to pay more money to the IRS because these were tall tales.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

brian wrote:
Bodie wrote:
brian wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:
brian wrote:

oh all record labels did that. For example does anyone believe that Bing Crosby sold 600 million records like Decca claimed back then.

Bings White Christmas alone has sold over 100 millions. According to some sources the total amount of records sold is over 1 billion...

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Steve Morse wrote:There seems to be a number of members on here that like to put Elvis down at every opportunity.

I seem to recall that 100,000,000 sales were achieved by, and announced in, 1964.
And here is the proof! :wink:. RCA Victor salutes 100 millions worldwide sales 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

seaward
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by seaward »

Brian Quinn wrote:It is SONY policy not to release record sales details to the general public, particularly back catalogue ones. The main reason for this is that the record industry is an extremely competitive one and if they release such details then one of its competitors will immediately claim one of their acts has sold more. The outcome of this would be that if the public perceive something is real it will be real in its consequences. More people will start buying or collecting that acts records. People do not want to be hitched to a loser. Record statistics are also very difficult to prove due to different eras with different standards. In the modern era, Rihanna has already achieved 100 million song certifications and Justin Bieber is the King of streaming. Downloading and streaming have completely changed the ballgame. They are the modern measurements of success. One of Elvis' main measurements of success is longevity. However, one cannot really compare one era with another. Suffice it to say that Crosby, Sinatra, Presley, Beatles and Jackson were the most popular at their peak and beat all competitors. Luckily Elvis is still selling well (when he receives sufficient marketing) and his iconic status is unsurpassed - I, for one, am grateful for that. I appreciate that some fans are not really interested in record sales or measures of popularity and only wish to enjoy the music and that is fine with me. in conclusion, I cannot think of any other artist or group who has such a label as FTD which has served us magnificently throughout the years thanks to Ernst Jorgensen and Roger Semon. Long may it continue.

Brian
I guess the annual RCA record catalogs are our closest insight of insider sales information.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

OK, Bodie. I apologize for doubting your post. I am very happy if Elvis sold more than 1 billion records. But some of the schemes The Colonel made (like he did with the Aloha viewers) made me suspicious. So, Long Live the King and I hope he will sell more records in the following years.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by MikeFromHolland »

jurasic1968 wrote:OK, Bodie. I apologize for doubting your post. I am very happy if Elvis sold more than 1 billion records. But some of the schemes The Colonel made (like he did with the Aloha viewers) made me suspicious. So, Long Live the King and I hope he will sell more records in the following years.
Classy!

::rocks

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

Scarre wrote:
brian wrote:
Bodie wrote:
brian wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:
brian wrote:

Bings White Christmas alone has sold over 100 millions. According to some sources the total amount of records sold is over 1 billion...
Just looked this up and on the list of biggest selling singles it has Bing Crosby's version of 'White Chistmas' with sales of 50 million.

But on another wiki page it claims that figure is actually 100 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Christmas_song

Both sources are apparently from The Guinness Book Of Records. :facep:

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Wow!!!! 100 million singles??? I'm All Shook Up!!!

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

I said before but I like to say once again: in the 1985-1995 years in Russia and Eastern Europe Elvis' records, video tapes, CD and DVD' s were almost sold on the black market. And the sales were huge.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Steve Morse wrote:There seems to be a number of members on here that like to put Elvis down at every opportunity.

I seem to recall that 100,000,000 sales were achieved by, and announced in, 1964.
And here is the proof! :wink:. RCA Victor salutes 100 millions worldwide sales 8). Bye for now :smt006.

I still have the Billboard mag with that insert. Unfort, this campaign was tied in with a huge promotion for one of Elvis' worst films and albums, Kissin Cousins. The Col went all out promoting this trash at a time when The Beatles and other groups were starting to take hold. Made Elvis look ridiculous in comparison. He should have been competing in a much better way than this.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

Bodie wrote:
Scarre wrote:
brian wrote:
Bodie wrote:
brian wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:
brian wrote:

Just looked this up and on the list of biggest selling singles it has Bing Crosby's version of 'White Chistmas' with sales of 50 million.

But on another wiki page it claims that figure is actually 100 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Christmas_song

Both sources are apparently from The Guinness Book Of Records. :facep:
Just goes to show that Wikipedia is not always the most reliable source. Thank you for the info.

Edit:
Just checked the Guinness World Records 2015 book and...both numbers are correct!
50 million on it's own and 100 million if you count the albums where the song has been included...

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Thanks a lot, Greystoke. I like to ask maybe a very difficult question for the year 2016: Why the impressive sales from the past are so big comparing to today? Because of the Internet? Maybe I am wrong but Michael Jackson with his LP Thriller was the last one to sell in such a big scale (more than 60 milion copies, I read).

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

Greystoke wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Wow!!!! 100 million singles??? I'm All Shook Up!!!
The collective sales of Bing Crosby's White Christmas were reckoned to be 68 million in North America and 32 million internationally by 1970. This, with regards to singles, EPs and albums. Plus 5.5 million sheet music sales in North America.

Singles sales are generally estimated at around 50 million, with the song having taken four years to sell its first million copies in North America. This being Bing's third million-seller, which spent 11 weeks at No. 1 and 72 weeks on the best-sellers chart.

To put this into context with regards to Bing's audience, White Christmas was the most popular song from the fifth most popular film of 1942, Holiday Inn. Which sold around 13.9 million tickets at the North American box office. It was also the most popular song from the most popular film of 1954, White Christmas. Which sold around 27 million tickets at the North American box office. To put that into further context, it would take the combined ticket sales of Love Me Tender, G.I. Blues, Blue Hawaii and Viva Las Vegas to match White Christmas at the box office.
You forgot to mention the most important thing...it's a beautiful, lovely song :D