"Merry Christmas Baby"!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Juan Luis

Re:

Post by Juan Luis »

Matthew wrote:I'd love to see some Chips quotes about Elvis doing I'll Hold You In My Heart.
"Chips had no interest in contributing to such an amateurish endeavor". Peter Guralnick.
And "he (Chips) had little use for uncontrolled self-indulgence"... That's the exact quote though. I will look on more specifics when I have time. If needed.

Marko

Re: "Merry Christmas Baby"!

Post by Marko »

Keith wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Fantastic topic Juan Luis as always, keep them coming! :smt023.

Merry Christmas Baby is one of my favourite Elvis´Christmas songs. My all-time favourite edit of this song is the one included on the original cd "Reconsider Baby" PCD1-5418, released in 1990! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.
Is that not the same version of the song released originally on the LP and CD in March 1985 Mike?
ln_afl1_5418.JPG
Keith
The edit on Reconsider Baby LP is unique (6:28). If I recall correctly the CD edit of the track is actually longer than the LP version (about the same as on Memories Of Christmas). I don't have the CD at hand now so I can't check that.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Topic author
r&b

Re: Re:

Post by r&b »

Juan Luis wrote:
Matthew wrote:I'd love to see some Chips quotes about Elvis doing I'll Hold You In My Heart.
"Chips had no interest in contributing to such an amateurish endeavor". Peter Guralnick.
And "he (Chips) had little use for uncontrolled self-indulgence"... That's the exact quote though. I will look on more specifics when I have time. If needed.
I think Chips was right. The song drags a bit and is very redundant. There were better tunes on Back In Memphis that could have replaced it.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

r&b wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
I think Chips was right. The song drags a bit and is very redundant. There were better tunes on Back In Memphis that could have replaced it.
This has been one of the most respected and critically lauded track in the reviews of this album. A highlight and a standout of FEIM. All Elvis.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Juan Luis wrote:
r&b wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
This has been one of the most respected and critically lauded track in the reviews of this album. A highlight and a standout of FEIM. All Elvis.
still, it was never a favorite of mine after 3 minutes

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

Marko wrote:
Keith wrote:

Merry Christmas Baby is one of my favourite Elvis´Christmas songs. My all-time favourite edit of this song is the one included on the original cd "Reconsider Baby" PCD1-5418, released in 1990! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.
Is that not the same version of the song released originally on the LP and CD in March 1985 Mike?
ln_afl1_5418.JPG
Keith
The edit on Reconsider Baby LP is unique (6:28). If I recall correctly the CD edit of the track is actually longer than the LP version (about the same as on Memories Of Christmas). I don't have the CD at hand now so I can't check that.
Hi Marko,

My 1985 CD version runs to 7:18, I have the Vinyl too but not at hand.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

As would I. To my knowledge there are no direct quotes from Chips Moman about this song.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

CoyotaBlues

Post by CoyotaBlues »

rlj4ep wrote:Just a quick memory if no one minds: I remember when I first listened to my The Wonderful World of Christmas album for the first time. I listened to it and was enjoying it. Then Merry Christmas Baby came on the record player. Wow, did I come out of my chair! I played that song over and over again. When my Dad came out and asked what is that song you keep playing, I had him sit down and listen to it. He loved it saying, "Now that's Elvis. Would like to hear more of that from him."
The same happened to me & my Dad with Merry Christmas Baby & especially Promised Land! Dad told me to play it over & over again. Only that I knew both of them from This is Elvis - and then I bought CDs. I was disappointed at first when I discovered that the guitar was overdubbed on MCHB and was not there... But now I prefer original jam. When was it added? Especially for This is Elvis? I remember that in those 70's albums I searched for any blues/rock songs. I was 15-16 years old for example when I bought Elvis Country and I just knew it was a classic, but then I bought "Love Leters from Elvis" and was disappointed (why El thought to remake Love Letters? It was fine in 1966) :/ Remember that I only liked It Ain't no Big Thing, but It's Growing, uh can't stand it now.

PS I love also I'll Be Home On Christmas Day "Country Rhythm Version"! Why hasn't nobody made topic about it!

Marko

Post by Marko »

Dan_T wrote:
Marko wrote:
Keith wrote:

ln_afl1_5418.JPG
Keith
Hi Marko,

My 1985 CD version runs to 7:18, I have the Vinyl too but not at hand.
Thanks, Dan! I believe the LP version is 6:28.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

I just checked my 1985 "Reconsider Baby" CD (PCD1-5418). The packaging states that "Merry Christmas Baby" runs 6:28, but the actually running time is 7:18.

The EU reissue of "The Wonderful World Of Christmas" (ND 81936) also uses the 7:18 edit.

MT

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

MysteryTrain wrote:I just checked my 1985 "Reconsider Baby" CD (PCD1-5418). The packaging states that "Merry Christmas Baby" runs 6:28, but the actually running time is 7:18.

The EU reissue of "The Wonderful World Of Christmas" (ND 81936) also uses the 7:18 edit.

MT
The version on my LP version of Reconsider Baby indeed runs 7:18 too with the running time on the LP being 6:28, so i'm guessing the wrong time was there since the release of the album.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

drjohncarpenter

Johnny2523 wrote:
MysteryTrain wrote:I just checked my 1985 "Reconsider Baby" CD (PCD1-5418). The packaging states that "Merry Christmas Baby" runs 6:28, but the actually running time is 7:18.

MT
The version on my LP version of Reconsider Baby indeed runs 7:18 too with the running time on the LP being 6:28, so i'm guessing the wrong time was there since the release of the album.
Joan made a boo-boo.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rollinson1

Post by rollinson1 »

Matthew wrote:My first exposure to Elvis' recording was the 7 minutes 18 seconds version of the undubbed recording that appeared on a CD edition of The Wonderful World of Christmas.

It was only later that I heard the album master with dubbed lead guitar and to be honest I've never really cared for it. Eddie was a solid player but knowing the undubbed recording for so long, with James playing over it, it always sounded weird to me to hear Elvis call out "dig it James" and the overdub comes in, playing over the top of James.

Also, as much as they fit the jam, lines like "now I'm putting it through Al's mic" and "wake up Putt!" ought to have been removed from the album master in my opinion. How many fans and casual Christmas consumers in 1971 had any clue what these lines meant?

How many casual Christmas consumers where this master has appeared on countless seasonal releases over the decades have any idea? Without the proper context they make no sense at all.
Why do you have to over analyse this song. It is a one off jam with a 70's Elvis that you criticise so much showing great enthusiasm for a song that he obliviously enjoyed. It is not a song or singer that wants to change the world. Who gives a s..t whether the casual Christmas consumer knows whats being sung about. This song was in all probability never intended for the casual Christmas listener or buyer. Take it for what it is (Brilliant in my opinion) just a bunch of guys having a great time and making great music in the recording studio.

Paul

ELVIS PRESLEY - THE MOST UNDERRATED, UNDERUSED, WASTED TALENT OF ALL TIME

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

MT
Joan made a boo-boo.
Not answering your letter was her boo-boo. She must be rolling around in her grave thinking why didn't I answer that kid?!!!

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

rollinson1 wrote:Why do you have to over analyse this song.
If you don't want to discuss this song in a thread setup to discuss this song, then piss off out of it, and take your attitude with you.

:smt006

Marko

Post by Marko »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

MT
Joan made a boo-boo.
Wasn't the album compiled by Gregg Geller? I don't see Joan in the album credits.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

rollinson1 wrote:
Matthew wrote:My first exposure to Elvis' recording was the 7 minutes 18 seconds version of the undubbed recording that appeared on a CD edition of The Wonderful World of Christmas.

It was only later that I heard the album master with dubbed lead guitar and to be honest I've never really cared for it. Eddie was a solid player but knowing the undubbed recording for so long, with James playing over it, it always sounded weird to me to hear Elvis call out "dig it James" and the overdub comes in, playing over the top of James.

Also, as much as they fit the jam, lines like "now I'm putting it through Al's mic" and "wake up Putt!" ought to have been removed from the album master in my opinion. How many fans and casual Christmas consumers in 1971 had any clue what these lines meant?

How many casual Christmas consumers where this master has appeared on countless seasonal releases over the decades have any idea? Without the proper context they make no sense at all.
Why do you have to over analyse this song. It is a one off jam with a 70's Elvis that you criticise so much showing great enthusiasm for a song that he obliviously enjoyed. It is not a song or singer that wants to change the world. Who gives a s..t whether the casual Christmas consumer knows whats being sung about. This song was in all probability never intended for the casual Christmas listener or buyer. Take it for what it is (Brilliant in my opinion) just a bunch of guys having a great time and making great music in the recording studio.

Paul
It was released as a single. So it was mainstream by intent. Awfulcover as well on the single.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"

Post by Davelee »

TINML wrote:This one never did anything for me, not a song I listen to this time of year.
Best played on pancake day then....

drjohncarpenter

Marko wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Joan made a boo-boo.
Wasn't the album compiled by Gregg Geller? I don't see Joan in the album credits.
I thought we were still discussing Memories of Elvis, released in late 1982. Gregg Geller did not come on the scene until 1984.

821111_RCA CPL1 4395_Memories of Christmas.JPG
The back cover prominently shows: REISSUE PRODUCED BY JOAN DEARY

If you are speaking of the amazing Reconsider Baby reissue in 1985, please forgive me. It was one of RCA project A&R director Gregg Geller's finest Presley efforts, from the art to the liner notes by Peter Guralnick, and I have written many times praising the LP.

Elvis Presley Reconsider Baby (RCA AFL1-5418, April 1985)

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59343&p=880518#p880518
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67173&p=999050#p999050
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84586&p=1318007#p1318007

Please know I never try to "wilfully [sic] deceive members of this forum." :smt023
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

CoyotaBlues

Post by CoyotaBlues »

r&b wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
What!Are you talking about I'll Hold You In My Heart? I don't understand maybe... But one of the best tracks ever by anyone! Haven't you lost any love in your life (girl/family member)? It's mindblowing performance.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

CoyotaBlues wrote:
r&b wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
What!Are you talking about I'll Hold You In My Heart? I don't understand maybe... But one of the best tracks ever by anyone! Haven't you lost any love in your life (girl/family member)? It's mindblowing performance.
Exactly! And it's all 100% Elvis.

rollinson1

Post by rollinson1 »

Matthew wrote:
rollinson1 wrote:Why do you have to over analyse this song.
If you don't want to discuss this song in a thread setup to discuss this song, then piss off out of it, and take your attitude with you.

:smt006
Well I pissed off for a while :lol:
Seriously why does my post say attitude to you, it's just an opinion. I asked you Why? you over analyze the song so much. That is part of a discussion. I wasn't trying to tell you can't as some people on here try to. If I had answered one of your posts in the same manner I would have more than likely been banned and definitely would not have got a like from the Doc. Again just saying as I see it, no attitude intended.

Paul

ELVIS PRESLEY - THE MOST UNDERRATED, UNDERUSED, WASTED TALENT OF ALL TIME

Marko

Post by Marko »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Marko wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Joan made a boo-boo.
I thought we were still discussing Memories of Elvis, released in late 1982. Gregg Geller did not come on the scene until 1984.

821111_RCA CPL1 4395_Memories of Christmas.JPG
The back cover prominently shows: REISSUE PRODUCED BY JOAN DEARY

If you are speaking of the amazing Reconsider Baby reissue in 1985, please forgive me. It was one of RCA project A&R director Gregg Geller's finest Presley efforts, from the art to the liner notes by Peter Guralnick, and I have written many times praising the LP.

Elvis Presley Reconsider Baby (RCA AFL1-5418, April 1985)

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59343&p=880518#p880518
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67173&p=999050#p999050
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84586&p=1318007#p1318007

Please know I never try to "wilfully [sic] deceive members of this forum." :smt023
Thanks for clearing that up.

drjohncarpenter

Marko wrote:Thanks for clearing that up.
Sure thing. Sorry for any confusion there!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »