Elvis In Hi-Res Audio (24/96)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Re: Elvis In Hi-Res Audio (24/96)

Post by When In Rome »

skatterbrane wrote:Just because a file is 24/96 does not preclude the possibility that they are simply CD resolution uploaded to a high-rez format. And if that is the case there would be no sonic improvement. I wonder how one can be ensured that when you buy a high-rez product that it was actually mastered from the original master tapes and converted directly to high-rez digital, rather than simply transferring a CD master to the high-rez format?

I also understand that all the Anesini complete masters reside on a 24/96 format in the first place, so that is good. But that still does not guarantee a retail source for high-rez simply used a CD for their master source.

In short, how do I know I am not just getting an oversampled CD master?

If the Elvis For Everyone high-rez file is from the original LP master, then many of the songs will be in ERS.
I don't think they are strictly using the LP masters per se for 'Elvis For Everyone' (samples on the link below) the majority of the album sounding very much like the recent '20 Classic albums' release and the FTD version, notable exceptions to those are 'For the Millionth and the Last Time' and 'Memphis Tennessee' which seem to have the extra added reverb, like the original album masters.

The recent 'Mastered for iTunes' 'Elvis For Everyone' seem to use these same versions also, only compressed into the AAC format, obviously. The fifties album collection on iTunes is also 'Mastered for iTunes' featuring the unedited 'I Want To Be Free' on 'A Date With Elvis', the single version of 'Doncha' think it's Time' on Gold records 2 (but not the odd edit on 'Any Way You Want Me' on 'Golden Records') also a few of these albums have extra bonus tracks. Now if all these Hi-Res/'Mastered for iTunes' collections/remasters/albums whatever are emanating from the same source, presumably 24/96 Hi-Res Masters, one begins to wonder if these will form the basis for the much mooted 'New Boxset in the Works'; if so, it will ultimately result in the same discrepancies we've had for the last twenty years or so. I really hope not...

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/elvis-is-for-everyone-elvis-presley/0886445009958#item

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Well it won't play for me on "the built in player" and I am not going to download yet ANOTHER program to play online digital samples.

Topic author
LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

Will
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Will »

Nine new releases......gonna be a long night!!!!! :D

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by emjel »

Mmmm. I got Lucky and C'mon Everybody but no TTWII

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

When In Rome

Post by When In Rome »

emjel wrote:Mmmm. I got Lucky and C'mon Everybody but no TTWII
I can't see 'C'mon Everybody' on Qobuz but I can see three TTWII - the 30th Anniversary edition, the Legacy edition and the deluxe edition...

Topic author
LSP-4445

Post by LSP-4445 »

When In Rome wrote: I can see three TTWII - the 30th Anniversary edition, the Legacy edition and the deluxe edition...
Unfortunately they are not HD editions.
Last edited by LSP-4445 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

emjel

Post by emjel »

I wonder if those Camdens are in the original mono format

~

Will

Post by Will »

lets be friends hd was a mix of mono and stereo as per the original album...........put my money on these being part of the new boxset

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

Will wrote:lets be friends hd was a mix of mono and stereo as per the original album...........put my money on these being part of the new boxset
Will is absolutely right. I'm also sure that this HD releases and the mastered for iTunes series feature new masterings that'll be part of the new box

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Iván

La voz del Rey

When In Rome

Post by When In Rome »

When In Rome wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:Just because a file is 24/96 does not preclude the possibility that they are simply CD resolution uploaded to a high-rez format. And if that is the case there would be no sonic improvement. I wonder how one can be ensured that when you buy a high-rez product that it was actually mastered from the original master tapes and converted directly to high-rez digital, rather than simply transferring a CD master to the high-rez format?

I also understand that all the Anesini complete masters reside on a 24/96 format in the first place, so that is good. But that still does not guarantee a retail source for high-rez simply used a CD for their master source.

In short, how do I know I am not just getting an oversampled CD master?

If the Elvis For Everyone high-rez file is from the original LP master, then many of the songs will be in ERS.
I don't think they are strictly using the LP masters per se for 'Elvis For Everyone' (samples on the link below) the majority of the album sounding very much like the recent '20 Classic albums' release and the FTD version, notable exceptions to those are 'For the Millionth and the Last Time' and 'Memphis Tennessee' which seem to have the extra added reverb, like the original album masters.

The recent 'Mastered for iTunes' 'Elvis For Everyone' seem to use these same versions also, only compressed into the AAC format, obviously. The fifties album collection on iTunes is also 'Mastered for iTunes' featuring the unedited 'I Want To Be Free' on 'A Date With Elvis', the single version of 'Doncha' think it's Time' on Gold records 2 (but not the odd edit on 'Any Way You Want Me' on 'Golden Records') also a few of these albums have extra bonus tracks. Now if all these Hi-Res/'Mastered for iTunes' collections/remasters/albums whatever are emanating from the same source, presumably 24/96 Hi-Res Masters, one begins to wonder if these will form the basis for the much mooted 'New Boxset in the Works'; if so, it will ultimately result in the same discrepancies we've had for the last twenty years or so. I really hope not...

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/elvis-is-for-everyone-elvis-presley/0886445009958#item
frus75 wrote:
Will wrote:lets be friends hd was a mix of mono and stereo as per the original album...........put my money on these being part of the new boxset
Will is absolutely right. I'm also sure that this HD releases and the mastered for iTunes series feature new masterings that'll be part of the new box

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I said exactly the same thing a few posts up; I just hope they tweak a few things on the fifties albums, so they are as they were. Time will tell...
The Complete 50's Albums Collection.jpg
The Complete 60's Album Collection, Vol. 1 1960-1965.jpg
The Complete 60's Album Collection, Vol. 2 1966-1969.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

emjel

Post by emjel »

Is anyone who is getting these Hi Res releases, buying into the Complete Albums box set, on the assumption that it does get released. Will there be any updated remastering from the 2007 work I wonder.

~

Mike DK
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Mike DK »

emjel wrote:Is anyone who is getting these Hi Res releases, buying into the Complete Albums box set, on the assumption that it does get released. Will there be any updated remastering from the 2007 work I wonder.
The only updated sound could come from a different mastering approuch compared to the 2007 remasters (and only if you like the new approuch). Wouldn't mind if they got Bernie Grundman og Steve Hofmann to do the whole Elvis catalog :)

emjel

Post by emjel »

Mike DK wrote:
emjel wrote:Is anyone who is getting these Hi Res releases, buying into the Complete Albums box set, on the assumption that it does get released. Will there be any updated remastering from the 2007 work I wonder.
The only updated sound could come from a different mastering approuch compared to the 2007 remasters (and only if you like the new approuch). Wouldn't mind if they got Bernie Grundman og Steve Hofmann to do the whole Elvis catalog :)
Probably too late now to bring someone else in I guess and might be a bit of a slap in the face for all of those who have worked on the catalogue recently. There stills seems to be some uncertainty about recent FTD releases being remastered since the 2007 work and I think this is one of the confusing aspects with the current catalogue. Nothing is really clear.

~

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Is it possible that no ONE person's mastering is the best ever done on EVERY song? There are certain masters I prefer from one guy, and other masters I prefer from another guy, etc. Kevan Budd comes to mind, as do a few others who are not named Anesisi.

Topic author
LSP-4445

Post by LSP-4445 »

Not many HD albums from the 70s are missing now....only on stage,ttwii,he touched me.

KingElvis
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by KingElvis »

ok,with everything thats available.
Top 3 songs or albums that really shows the sound upgrade??

Scoobie
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Scoobie »

KingElvis wrote:ok,with everything thats available.
Top 3 songs or albums that really shows the sound upgrade??
I have just listened to FEPBMT and wow! it does sound great, on "Danny Boy" it is like he is in the room with you. Very good indeed. This was never an album that I really liked, but hearing on HD on headphones has made me appreciate it more, it will never be FEIM but I like the HD version. Fairly sure this will be one of the best in terms of sound upgrade.

Will

Post by Will »

FEPBMT...... Must agree with Scoobie it sounds fantastic

KingElvis
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by KingElvis »

Will the new "If I Can Dream: Elvis Presley With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra" be available in Hd-sound?

Will

Post by Will »

KingElvis wrote:Will the new "If I Can Dream: Elvis Presley With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra" be available in Hd-sound?

The answer to that will come tomorrow my friend.........at the very least I would expect it to appear in 24/44 .....but I think we will see in 24/96 following on from the Today release in that quality

Lohmax
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Lohmax »

LSP-4445 wrote:Not many HD albums from the 70s are missing now....only on stage,ttwii,he touched me.
Promised Land and Elvis in Concert

Image Image Image

Topic author
LSP-4445

Post by LSP-4445 »

Lohmax wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:Not many HD albums from the 70s are missing now....only on stage,ttwii,he touched me.
Promised Land and Elvis in Concert
We do have all the Promised Land album tracks available as part of the Elvis At Stax HD release.
I dont see Elvis in Concert beeing available in HD anytime soon...and thats fine by me.

Claus

Post by Claus »

KingElvis wrote:Will the new "If I Can Dream: Elvis Presley With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra" be available in Hd-sound?
http://www.hdtracks.com/catalog/product/view/id/264743/

Jamie
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Jamie »

I checked with Qubuz and Elvis with RPO will be available in 24/96 quality on 6 November as a download. Not sure on price yet but Sony Legacy will be providing a 24/96 version.

cheers

Gator's got me Granny.