Family Photos (1970) in One Place - improved quality

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years

Family Photos (1970) in One Place - improved quality

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Update May 27, 2015.

Just saw these pics in a somewhat better quality on eBay. Thought I put them in this thread for completeness sake:

---------
Original post:

Looking at former threads about these well-known family-shoot pictures at the Hillcrest Home in Beverly Hills, it looks as if those photos are scattered all over the place.

Also, not everyone is convinced that the date was indeed December 10, 1970.

Former threads about these pics:

Family Photos of Elvis, Priscilla and Lisa Marie
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42445

Family Portrait, 1970
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77053

Candid Central
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/lep71.html

Now, all compiled in one place:

Last edited by MikeFromHolland on Wed May 27, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: The December 10, 1970 Family Photos in One Place

Post by drjohncarpenter »

MikeFromHolland wrote:Looking at former threads about these well-known family-shoot pictures at the Hillcrest Home in Beverly Hills, it looks as if those photos are scattered all over the place.

Also, not everyone is convinced that the date was indeed December 10, 1970.
Nice collection, thank you.

The photos almost certainly date to Thanksgiving Week, 1970. Note that Elvis looks as lean as he did during his November 10-17, 1970 tour. Given this, and a few other factors, the portrait session in Los Angeles was most likely done during the Thanksgiving holiday:

Thanksgiving Week 1970: November 23 (Mon) to 27 (Fri)
Thanksgiving Day 1970: November 26 (Thu)

On the 23rd he flew to Memphis. On the 25th he flew to Denver for a short visit at the police department, then returned to L.A.

Here's what he looked like in Denver:

With Denver Police Chief George Seaton - Wednesday, November 25, 1970

It's a match for his appearance in the portrait photos, including his hairstyle and glasses. My guess is the photos were done on Friday, November 27, 1970. You might also want to note that all of them were taken by Frank Carroll of NBC-TV.

See:
Frank Carroll --> Man of a Thousand Places!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87016

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

With Priscilla's description of having to coax Lisa to participate, this seems evident in a few images. And doesn't Elvis look like "Elvis" without his goggles on? Were they light prescription sunnies? His eyes look distorted when wearing the glasses.

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

HAPPIES
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by HAPPIES »

Thanks for bringing them all together Mike. Much appreciated. :)

Cheers, HAPPIES.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Thanks a lot, Mike for this wonderful collection. Elvis and Cilla were so happy, together with Lisa looked like a very strong family. Only one year later, all this fallen apart, tragically.
Last edited by jurasic1968 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

jurasic1968 wrote:Thanks a lot, Mike for this wonderful collection. Elvis and Cilla were so happy, together with Lisa lokked like a very strong family. Only one year later, all this fallen apart, tragically.
Yes, it's hard to comprehend, looking at these pictures alone...

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Spanish_Eyes
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Spanish_Eyes »

jurasic1968 wrote:Thanks a lot, Mike for this wonderful collection. Elvis and Cilla were so happy, together with Lisa lokked like a very strong family. Only one year later, all this fallen apart, tragically.
by the time these pics were taken, Elvis was sleeping with Kathy Westmoreland. It was only a matter of time before everything blew up.

steevefry
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by steevefry »

Thank you Mike !!

Brian's Elvis Corner

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

And also with Joyce Bova and Barbara Leigh

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by DEH »

Yeah at one point Elvis was juggling Priscilla, Joyce Bova, Barbara Leigh and Kathy Westmorland. He wanted the happy home life and the women on the side. Crazy.

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

I always wondered when Elvis dated Barbara Leigh. Thanks for locking down the time frame for that.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

steevefry wrote:Thank you Mike !!

Brian's Elvis Corner

Hey cool! Thanks for the link! Looks like (most of) the pictures are there as well. Dated November 26, 1970 for it was Thanksgiving.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter

Tony Trout wrote:I always wondered when Elvis dated Barbara Leigh. Thanks for locking down the time frame for that.
Elvis first made time with actress and model Barbara Leigh the night MGM president James Aubrey brought her along as his date to an August 1970 show. He picked up on her while Aubrey was in another part of the post-show, backstage party. I'm sure this had never happened before.

MikeFromHolland wrote:
steevefry wrote:Thank you Mike !!

Brian's Elvis Corner

Hey cool! Thanks for the link! Looks like (most of) the pictures are there as well. Dated November 26, 1970 for it was Thanksgiving.
As that page on FECC member bripet56's site indicates, it is only a guess. I chose the next day, Friday, November 27, 1970 as when the portrait session took place, namely because Thanksgiving can be a very busy holiday for any family home, be it Elvis' or photographer Frank Carroll's abode.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote:
As that page on FECC member bripet56's site indicates, it is only a guess. I chose the next day, Friday, November 27, 1970 as when the portrait session took place, namely because Thanksgiving can be a very busy holiday for any family home, be it Elvis' or photographer Frank Carroll's abode.
That's true, it was his guess. November 27 sounds plausible as well!

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stevelecher »

DEH wrote:Yeah at one point Elvis was juggling Priscilla, Joyce Bova, Barbara Leigh and Kathy Westmorland. He wanted the happy home life and the women on the side. Crazy.
The one woman here he apparently wasn't sleeping with at the time is Priscilla, according to many recollections.

Austin
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Austin »

Spanish_Eyes wrote:
by the time these pics were taken, Elvis was sleeping with Kathy Westmoreland. It was only a matter of time before everything blew up.
I've long suspected Elvis and Kathy had a thing, but I'd never heard it outright. Thanks for confirming that.

How long was their affair?

My tongue gets tied when I try to speak, my insides shake like a leaf on a tree. There's only one cure for this body of mine, that's to have that girl that I love so fine!

javierTCB
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by javierTCB »

Austin wrote:I've long suspected Elvis and Kathy had a thing, but I'd never heard it outright. Thanks for confirming that.
Check on "Careless Love, The Unmaking of Elvis Presley" (Peter Guralnick, 1999) at "A Night at The Opera" chapter, sept 1969 - sept 1970 ::rocks

From that chapter:

"THIS WAS THE ATMOSPHERE that twenty-five-year-old Kathy Westmoreland came into when she joined the show as high soprano Millie Kirkham’s replacement on Sunday, August 16 (1970). Kathy had agreed to take three weeks out of her busy L.A. session schedule to replace Kirkham, the Nashville backup singer who had come out at Elvis’ request strictly for the filming. Upon her arrival, she was met by Felton Jarvis, who welcomed her to the show, introduced her to Colonel Parker (who in turn presented her with a straw hat), and gave her a huge stack of records to allow her to familiarize herself with the repertoire. She watched the show that night, with Millie still in it, and was shocked at the behavior of the fans. A classically trained musician whose father had appeared in The Student Prince and The Great Caruso with Mario Lanza, she had “never seen anything like that in my life, and I doubt if I ever will. These women, fully dressed in these glamorous evening gowns, literally running down the tables in their high heels, knocking over champagne bottles, stepping on other people’s steaks.” She was also overwhelmed by the music and “by the transformation of the man I’d just met downstairs into this gorgeous, just grand charismatic person.”

She was terrified when it came time to go onstage the following night, but Elvis reassured her in her dressing room. “He told me, ‘Don’t worry about it, just relax and have fun. Remember, we’re just here to make people happy.’ But then he winked and said, ‘But when I point at you, you better sing something, kiddo.’ So—great!”
Despite her nervousness, Kathy fit right in. Looking somewhat prim in her dark brown pants and blouse beside the relatively unrestrained Sweets, she was more than open to learning from their rhythmic improvisations and intricate vocal harmonies. “I had a separate dressing room, but I would always go down to theirs and sit with them before the show. We really developed a strong, strong friendship; they made me feel really comfortable even though we were from such totally different backgrounds, and we would work out the most incredible harmonies and sounds, syllables I couldn’t even emulate today if I attempted to recall them. They were so advanced in their rhythms and harmonies and just thinking in one mind.” The Imperials, too, she found completely professional, “very polished, tight, and very, very precise in their vocal projection,” and even if the overall choral effect was sometimes a little ragged, with the nine voices and disparate musical backgrounds occasionally failing to mesh, there was enough give-and-take that the overall feel came through—“it did create a musical impression which really affected people. There was something for everybody.”

Most of all, though, it was Elvis she was intrigued by: his ambitions, his aspirations, his personality. She got to know him at first because he was always running in and out of the Sweets’ dressing room, laughing and joking and just hanging out. After a while he started talking to her about the music. He asked her if the tea she was drinking was good for the voice, he was curious about her musical background, and her father’s, too, he asked her opinion about some of the great tenors in history, like Caruso and Bjoerling. She discovered to her surprise that his own ability with a song could move her to tears, even when she didn’t much like the song. When she remarked upon the power that he exerted over an audience, he said that he knew he could influence people’s thinking, but that wasn’t his intent. “I think it’s important for me to just entertain… make people happy, help them forget all their troubles for a while. I think that’s what I’m on this earth to do.”

The story goes in next chapter book, "A Comic Book Hero", sept 1970 - jan 1971 :smt002

"If you're in old habits
Set in your old ways
Changes are a-comin'
For these are changing days
And if your head is in the sand
While things are goin' on
What you need is a Change of Habit"

DEH

Post by DEH »

stevelecher wrote:
DEH wrote:Yeah at one point Elvis was juggling Priscilla, Joyce Bova, Barbara Leigh and Kathy Westmorland. He wanted the happy home life and the women on the side. Crazy.
The one woman here he apparently wasn't sleeping with at the time is Priscilla, according to many recollections.
Last edited by DEH on Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

DEH

Post by DEH »

stevelecher wrote:
According to the other women they were not getting lots of sex either. Apparently the actual sex act was not a big deal and important to Elvis. He seemed to be more into the companionship part and such. there was not tons of sacktime.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Like the "Florsheim" boots he's wearing. Kool!

drjohncarpenter

DEH wrote:
stevelecher wrote:The one woman here he apparently wasn't sleeping with at the time is Priscilla, according to many recollections.
According to the other women they were not getting lots of sex either. Apparently the actual sex act was not a big deal and important to Elvis. He seemed to be more into the companionship part and such. there was not tons of sacktime.
Wrong. Read more, please. :smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

Thanks Mike.

The last one is totally new to me.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

DEH

Post by DEH »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DEH wrote:
stevelecher wrote:The one woman here he apparently wasn't sleeping with at the time is Priscilla, according to many recollections.
Wrong. Read more, please. :smt023
You are the The biggest hypocrite here. :roll: Look in the mirror bud. :D

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Re: Family Photos (1970) in One Place - improved quality

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...