Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Presley and Streisand Duet. CD Out In Sept.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:31 pm

r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:So Babs sees herself in the washed up, end stage of her career, a la Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett, where she wants to do a duets project? I think it's kind of sad.

Bennett might be at the tail end of his career, but he's hardly washed up - and neither was Sinatra. In fact, Bennett sounds barely any different to forty years ago. It's a way of getting yourself out there to a wider audience. For Bennett and Sinatra it paid dividends, both financially and getting their music heard by people who wouldn't normally hear it. And Bennett's album with Lady Gaga is out in a month.

And it will be very real , no fakes. They really like each other and had a blast working in the studio together. Duets work right when the chemistry is there and it isnt electronically faked. I would give the Bennett album a listen. Will pass on Babs.

Yes, that will certainly be the case. It's been recorded for a long while now, and I'm not sure what the hold up was on releasing it. I have to say I don't think much of the "single" Anything Goes, as it certainly doesn't measure up to their previous duet outing. But I'm sure the album will be very good nonetheless.

Re: Presley and Striesand Duet. CD Out In Sept.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:33 pm

Mike C wrote:I wonder which LMT vocal they will use. The 1956 single, the 1968 comeback special version or a live take from 1969/1970.

It will almost certainly be the studio master take from August 24, 1956. It is the version that topped the charts, and Presley's rendition is sublime. As has been noted, the vocal likely exists in isolation, making it ideal for the Streisand project.

It appears all other male duet partners are living, one wonders if EPE made the push for inclusion, or could it have been a request from Barbra's camp?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:27 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:So Babs sees herself in the washed up, end stage of her career, a la Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett, where she wants to do a duets project? I think it's kind of sad.

Bennett might be at the tail end of his career, but he's hardly washed up - and neither was Sinatra. In fact, Bennett sounds barely any different to forty years ago. It's a way of getting yourself out there to a wider audience. For Bennett and Sinatra it paid dividends, both financially and getting their music heard by people who wouldn't normally hear it. And Bennett's album with Lady Gaga is out in a month.

And it will be very real , no fakes. They really like each other and had a blast working in the studio together. Duets work right when the chemistry is there and it isnt electronically faked. I would give the Bennett album a listen. Will pass on Babs.

Yes, that will certainly be the case. It's been recorded for a long while now, and I'm not sure what the hold up was on releasing it. I have to say I don't think much of the "single" Anything Goes, as it certainly doesn't measure up to their previous duet outing. But I'm sure the album will be very good nonetheless.

They did The Lady Is A Tramp in 2011 for her Tv Special. Do you think the Duets album tracks were recorded then? I thought Lady was very good, total jazz. I agree with you on Anything Goes, so-so. Tony sounds older on this track so maybe it was done after 2011?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:35 pm

r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

They did The Lady Is A Tramp in 2011 for her Tv Special. Do you think the Duets album tracks were recorded then? I thought Lady was very good, total jazz. I agree with you on Anything Goes, so-so. Tony sounds older on this track so maybe it was done after 2011?

My understanding is that the album was recorded early last year. It was due for release in time for last Christmas but got put back - perhaps Gaga had a new solo album out at the time?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:38 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:I didn't think they even liked it each other. Never been a fan of fake duets, BUT LMT? Of all songs they pick LMT?! Sony should have a song list of classic songs that can never be used by other artists for "duets". Rant over.

It's worth saying, though, that many duets are "fake" these days, and have been for years. Sinatra might have been an active participant in his duets albums in 1993, but all he did was record new full solo versions of each song and then let other people record their parts later and cut and paste them together - a bootleg called "Solos" contains the full Sinatra versions. Streisand recorded a track for that project, but never recorded in the studio with Sinatra any more than she recorded with Elvis. Just because one duet partner was alive at the time doesn't mean it's any less "fake" really.

Even going back to the 1950s, Rosemary Clooney recorded an album with Duke Ellington and his orchestra, but they never met in the studio. I'm sure there are many other examples.

Yep...with technology, why must any duet be real?

Duet albums are such scams. Barbara Streisand? Love Me Tender? Seriously?

:roll:

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:12 pm

Perhaps cos she didnt get him for ASIB she always wanted to duet with him ?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:30 pm

My vote would've been for Memories…

phpBB [video]

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:23 pm

BrianTCB wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:I didn't think they even liked it each other. Never been a fan of fake duets, BUT LMT? Of all songs they pick LMT?! Sony should have a song list of classic songs that can never be used by other artists for "duets". Rant over.

It's worth saying, though, that many duets are "fake" these days, and have been for years. Sinatra might have been an active participant in his duets albums in 1993, but all he did was record new full solo versions of each song and then let other people record their parts later and cut and paste them together - a bootleg called "Solos" contains the full Sinatra versions. Streisand recorded a track for that project, but never recorded in the studio with Sinatra any more than she recorded with Elvis. Just because one duet partner was alive at the time doesn't mean it's any less "fake" really.

Even going back to the 1950s, Rosemary Clooney recorded an album with Duke Ellington and his orchestra, but they never met in the studio. I'm sure there are many other examples.

Yep...with technology, why must any duet be real?

Well, technology meant that sometimes Elvis didn't record his vocal at the same time as the band played their parts. Are those recordings not real either? Is If Every Day Was Like Christmas a fake?!

And let's add to that the fact that thousands of people go to see Elvis on a big screen with a bunch of musicians playing along to his vocal and yet have no problem with that. Surely that's fake too?!
Last edited by poormadpeter on Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:23 pm

EPA4368 wrote:My vote would've been for Memories…

phpBB [video]

Agreed. It would have been a great fit.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:28 pm

LMT certainly wouldn't have been my choice.

George Klein claimed that Elvis didn't like his 1956 studio recording of it.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:37 pm

Bodie wrote:LMT certainly wouldn't have been my choice.

George Klein claimed that Elvis didn't like his 1956 studio recording of it.

Neither do I!
Another vote for Memories.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:40 pm

Give me his 68 version of LMT anyday ..............

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:36 pm

Well the Streisand album is the best selling album on amazon at the moment, and it's not out for another three weeks or so.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:56 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Well the Streisand album is the best selling album on amazon at the moment, and it's not out for another three weeks or so.

You mean pre-order sales.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:08 pm

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Well the Streisand album is the best selling album on amazon at the moment, and it's not out for another three weeks or so.

Whatever you want to call them - it's outselling everything else whether released or due to be released.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-music-albums/zgbs/music/ref=pd_dp_ts_m_1

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:55 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:

Whatever you want to call them - it's outselling everything else whether released or due to be released.

didn't you just say these words below in another thread;

"On Amazon rankings, for example, just a handful of sales (literally half a dozen) can see an item jump quite a lot of places." :wink:

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:29 am

sweetangeline wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:

"On Amazon rankings, for example, just a handful of sales (literally half a dozen) can see an item jump quite a lot of places." :wink:

I did. But it's a bit different when we're talking about ranking 170 to 140. We're obviously talking considerably more units for the #1 position.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:04 am

poormadpeter wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:

I did. But it's a bit different when we're talking about ranking 170 to 140. We're obviously talking considerably more units for the #1 position.

...check our the sales figures for ELVIS` HEART & SOUL last week...I think you may be a bit surprised :wink:

Re: Presley and Striesand Duet. CD Out In Sept.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike C wrote:I wonder which LMT vocal they will use. The 1956 single, the 1968 comeback special version or a live take from 1969/1970.

It will almost certainly be the studio master take from August 24, 1956. It is the version that topped the charts, and Presley's rendition is sublime. As has been noted, the vocal likely exists in isolation, making it ideal for the Streisand project.

It appears all other male duet partners are living, one wonders if EPE made the push for inclusion, or could it have been a request from Barbra's camp?

The other day I saw a commercial for the record. It is just a black background then the words Partners and Streisand appear. The recording they played is the 56 master. From the little expert I heard it reminded me of the Viva mix of Love Me Tender.
On the bottom there is an advertizement that you cam purchase this on Amazon

Burning Love

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:30 am

phpBB [video]

A more logical choice yes. But I'm glad this song will be left alone--it's one of my all time personal favorites and I'm glad it won't be marred by a slushy Streisand vocal.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:44 am

:? If the duet had been 'Memories'... well then maybe i would have been interested but LMT...no!~ :|

Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:33 pm

Matthew wrote:This is a little creepy.

i think that is very funny. it sounds terrible.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:32 pm

phpBB [video]

I agree

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:37 pm

We Had it all

Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:05 pm

Why does anyone want to ruin perfectly good music by adding other voices with it? Not a Streisand fan. I'll stick with the original Elvis versions.