Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: "Elvis Aron Presley" - 1980 review

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:37 pm

Did this 1980 box have access to the original master tape of the Hawaii concert? Or did it use a dub? If they used a dub, has Ernst / Sony been able to source the master tape and will it be issued on FTD and / or Legacy?

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:25 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:Did this 1980 box have access to the original master tape of the Hawaii concert? Or did it use a dub?

The original 1978 Golden Archives release includes a tampered "Hound Dog", which runs longer than it actually was. The 1980 RCA release includes this song in its original length (or in untampered format, at least), so I guess they had access to the original source.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:43 pm

I remember listening to the 1975 Concert. That was great although the Lp's stated stereo on the label (not), and the sound quality lacked somehow compared to other live releases I had heard. Little did I know this was the first concert soundboard released officially or otherwise at the time. Much later found out about the concert being edited from more than one show/performance.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:26 am

Mister Moon wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:Did this 1980 box have access to the original master tape of the Hawaii concert? Or did it use a dub?

The original 1978 Golden Archives release includes a tampered "Hound Dog", which runs longer than it actually was. The 1980 RCA release includes this song in its original length (or in untampered format, at least), so I guess they had access to the original source.

Who recorded the performance? Was it an inline recording or offline? Does FTD have any plans to issue this in remastered form since it is out of print?

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:15 am

greggers wrote:
..about the sound quality, my copy (L 12590) has this memo included in it from Shari Marx, referencing a call from Joan Deary. Does anyone else have a memo like this in their copy? I believe I got my copy on eBay back in the early 90s. Thanks for the post Mister Moon!

I put my copy with this memo out on eBay now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111442062521

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:02 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Who recorded the performance? Was it an inline recording or offline? Does FTD have any plans to issue this in remastered form since it is out of print?

More information in this thread :

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40962

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:23 am

Mister Moon wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:Who recorded the performance? Was it an inline recording or offline? Does FTD have any plans to issue this in remastered form since it is out of print?

The 1980 RCA release included more of the introduction made by Rear Admiral Robert L. Campbell. It was the first thing I noticed when I played the concert. Two songs in, it was also immediately clear the audio was a significant upgrade as well. Elvis Aron Presley also included "Hound Dog" without the artificial extension heard on the 1978 Golden Archives bootleg. The audio is apparently from an offline source, recorded directly from the PA. It must have been captured by K-POI Radio or management.

You may enjoy this relevant topic:

U.S.S. Arizona Memorial Benefit Show --> Golden Anniversary!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59824

According to our own davide, the next FTD book project will cover the legendary 1961 Honolulu show, and include the concert as a bonus CD:

(UPDATED!) Memphis to Nashville '61 FTD book new promo video
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84101&p=1312772#p1312772

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:According to our own davide, the next FTD book project will cover the legendary 1961 Honolulu show, and include the concert as a bonus CD

That is great news!! Damn... one more thing I can't afford but will definitely look to purchase... it's been an expensive "Elvis year" so far.
I only hope they take the opportunity to try and improve the sound (if possible) with today's technology...

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:Who recorded the performance? Was it an inline recording or offline? Does FTD have any plans to issue this in remastered form since it is out of print?

The 1980 RCA release included more of the introduction made by Rear Admiral Robert L. Campbell. It was the first thing I noticed when I played the concert. Two songs in, it was also immediately clear the audio was a significant upgrade as well. Elvis Aron Presley also included "Hound Dog" without the artificial extension heard on the 1978 Golden Archives bootleg. The audio is apparently from an offline source, recorded directly from the PA. It must have been captured by K-POI Radio or management.

According to our own davide, the next FTD book project will cover the legendary 1961 Honolulu show, and include the concert as a bonus CD:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84101&p=1312772#p1312772

Thanks for this interesting post, Doc.

I never owned the 1978 bootleg, but I purchased "Elvis Aron Presley" in 1980, and LP 2 was clearly one of the highlights of that wonderful box-set.

It's interesting to see that the 1978 release featured "I Need Your Love Tonight" as the last song in side one, while RCA placed it as the first song in side two.

A small question : how much longer was "Hound Dog" in the Golden Archives album ?

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Doc, thank you very much for the news. If this FTD project comes, I will buy it even it will cost 300 $.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:10 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:... I will buy it even it will cost 300 $.

Shhhh don't say that :wink:

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:15 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The 1980 RCA release included more of the introduction made by Rear Admiral Robert L. Campbell. It was the first thing I noticed when I played the concert. Two songs in, it was also immediately clear the audio was a significant upgrade as well. Elvis Aron Presley also included "Hound Dog" without the artificial extension heard on the 1978 Golden Archives bootleg. The audio is apparently from an offline source, recorded directly from the PA. It must have been captured by K-POI Radio or management.

Thanks for this interesting post, Doc.

I never owned the 1978 bootleg, but I purchased "Elvis Aron Presley" in 1980, and LP 2 was clearly one of the highlights of that wonderful box-set.

It's interesting to see that the 1978 release featured "I Need Your Love Tonight" as the last song in side one, while RCA placed it as the first song in side two.

A small question : how much longer was "Hound Dog" in the Golden Archives album ?

IIRC, it is extended by a couple of minutes.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:51 am

According to the book Bootleg Elvis, the tape of the show has been through about 5 different owners when it as located by Vic Colanna in an accountant's office. Wish Vic's book would come out so we could have additional details.
Last edited by Mike C on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:49 pm

So is it confirmed that Sony has the original source tape of the Hawaii performance -- or is it a dub? Recall that The Return to Vegas 1969 Vegas FTD CD was sourced from an RCA dub tape prepared for vinyl with fade ins and fade outs -- so it is at least one step removed from the master tape. Will FTD perform a fresh transfer to digital from the original location Hawaii source tape -- or will they remaster some sort of (possible re-dub) prepared for the 1980 EAP box? Or simply reissue the digital master used on the 1998 CD reissue of EAP (ala the recycled non-remastered rehearsal tracks on disc 8 of the TTWII box)? What I'm getting at is -- will this FTD be a significant sonic upgrade of the Hawaii show? Do any insiders here have the scoop on what kind of sonics we can expect for this superb performance?

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:33 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:So is it confirmed that Sony has the original source tape of the Hawaii performance -- or is it a dub? Recall that The Return to Vegas 1969 Vegas FTD CD was sourced from an RCA dub tape prepared for vinyl with fade ins and fade outs -- so it is at least one step removed from the master tape. Will FTD perform a fresh transfer to digital from the original location Hawaii source tape -- or will they remaster some sort of (possible re-dub) prepared for the 1980 EAP box? Or simply reissue the digital master used on the 1998 CD reissue of EAP (ala the recycled non-remastered rehearsal tracks on disc 8 of the TTWII box)? What I'm getting at is -- will this FTD be a significant sonic upgrade of the Hawaii show? Do any insiders here have the scoop on what kind of sonics we can expect for this superb performance?

Five in one post!