Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:00 am

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

luckyjackson1 wrote:Watched the second screening on Saturday in Bad Nauheim with about 50 - 100 people. Even the screening the day before was reportedly well attended. No outtakes were shown for obvious reasons.

Enjoyed the movie once again (didn't watch it in years), despite Schmidlin's decision to leave out "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "I Just Can't Help Believin'". Cancelled my order of the blu-ray for now.

Shame on you, I have cancelled my order as well :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

While the initial movie looks pretty good on blu-ray, my decision was simply made for money issues. Might buy it one fine day when it's cheaper though (amazon always has this special offers where you can buy three blu-rays for 20 euros).

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:33 am

Anybody else noticed how charlie hodge is mispelled as Charley Hodge?
vlcsnap-2014-08-20-10h13m43s83.png

Some more screengrabs for you guys
vlcsnap-2014-08-20-10h09m13s224.png

vlcsnap-2014-08-20-10h11m44s9.png

vlcsnap-2014-08-20-10h19m09s142.png

vlcsnap-2014-08-20-10h35m37s12.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:03 pm

Cool man, thanks.

Can you post some screens from those outtakes, when you will have some time?

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:36 pm

On stage screengrabs.

vlcsnap-2014-08-20-11h32m12s188.png

vlcsnap-2014-08-20-11h25m17s133.png

vlcsnap-2014-08-20-11h18m46s75.png

vlcsnap-2014-08-20-11h11m47s244.png

vlcsnap-2014-08-20-11h09m14s2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:56 pm

Let me start with a short review

Purchased this yesterday came today

Package petty good enjoyed the book and photos
Menu was ok nothing special

Patch it up I'm guessing was shot 4/3 back in 2001 as my TV aspect it letter box

I think they could of given a longer version of what was shot but anyway

Regarding outtakes like previous posts in a nut shell a joke putting VHS outtakes in mono sound to me looks like a mistake quality is shocking

Regarding the main title sound department great but I feel the blacks have been crushed way to much compared to dvd version and one now can notice things like never before and to be honest at times during filming picks floors in the production but I guess this was 1970

Final verdict pretty good 6/10 I thought the film grain and blacks spoiled what could of been a very good presentation I feel in the fudge down the track an upgrade will surface

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:21 pm

Tomek wrote:Cool man, thanks.

Sure.. they look just as bad as before.
s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:32 pm

Ohh sh*t...
Really bad.

WB is a joke.
First the screwed EOT and now this, and it's second time they put such garbage in offical release.

I won't pay more that $10 for that blu ray now.

Thanks a lot.

What a damn shame :(

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:35 pm

OnTourCam wrote:Let me start with a short review

Purchased this yesterday came today

Package petty good enjoyed the book and photos
Menu was ok nothing special

Patch it up I'm guessing was shot 4/3 back in 2001 as my TV aspect it letter box

I think they could of given a longer version of what was shot but anyway

Regarding outtakes like previous posts in a nut shell a joke putting VHS outtakes in mono sound to me looks like a mistake quality is shocking

Regarding the main title sound department great but I feel the blacks have been crushed way to much compared to dvd version and one now can notice things like never before and to be honest at times during filming picks floors in the production but I guess this was 1970

Final verdict pretty good 6/10 I thought the film grain and blacks spoiled what could of been a very good presentation I feel in the fudge down the track an upgrade will surface

Hi Ontourcam,

Thank you for your review, what is annoying is your use of the word 'of' when you mean to say 'have'. You're not the only one doing it, but my question is why? It is disturbing reading.

Cheers,

Simon

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:22 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Sure.. they look just as bad as before.

Are you able to put some screen grabs of the same moments from the outtakes, taken from the DVD?

They are more pixelated on the DVD.

I still can't fathom why they all play about 3% too fast - i.e. what you'd expect with a PAL transfer.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:08 pm

Ordered the blu-ray from "dvdpacific" 2 weeks ago but still havent got it.
No idea how long it will take to europe......maybe shipped by boat :?

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:32 pm

Question about the outtakes. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in the menu but I can only play one outtake at a time. When each outtake finishes the Blu-ray goes back to the menu. Very strange. Little Sister ends very abruptly. I agree they seem a little fast.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:34 pm

:wink:

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:05 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Anybody else noticed how charlie hodge is mispelled as Charley Hodge?

As I see more and more screen shots from this BR release the more confident I feel about sitting out this purchase. I will probably get it at some point but at a lower price point or maybe even used but there is no rush. The picture looks very dark and while the colors appear deeper, the overall image does not pop. I was incredibly impressed when the original TTWII SE was released on both VHS and then DVD a decade ago. The colors were vibrant and every scene leaped out at you. You could tell there was significant work done to the footage. I can't say the same about what I'm seeing so far in these screen grabs. The colors are deeper but the overall feel is muted. I'm sure it looks fine on an HDTV but given all the samples I've seen...I'm not bowled over. I was looking forward to this release but I feel I can live without it.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:55 pm

Simon give me a break I did this quick review in the early hours of the morning sorry it didn't live up to your amazing spelling

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:08 am

I know I asked this question before in regards to the song "Little Sister/Get Back". I was confused why a cd can have the song while the video is more difficult. I sord of understand that now thanks to some help by members on here. My question now is in regards to this copyright issue again for video. So if they don't have the rights to Get Back and have to cut up the outtake like they did, why is it that the rehearsal version from June/July? as seen in the film is complete? Should it not also be all cut up?

Also I still don't get why Tom Brown argues that the original footage is lost for the outtakes? When it comes to some of the outtakes such as "I Just Can't Help Believin'" and "I've Lost You", could they not just have hd those songs from the original movie on dvd rather than using the super dark versions they have on the outtakes? Lord knows those are great improvement from the outtakes

Leaving Memphis today and I have to say I enjoyed the trip and will try to share some exciting things going on here. I came down to see TTWII on the big screen so I missed most of the Elvis Week stuff. The film was pretty cool but mostly because of the reaction of the fans during the show. Very awesome! But at the show Tom Brown hosted and explained that the WB Turner couldn't find the originals for the outtakes and that's why they are so dark. He continued to explain that Elvis fans don't care about that. We just love him and can listen to him anyway possible from a scratchy 45 to an 8 tracks to cassettes, we will take him anyway we can because it's ELvis. Nice cover up and of course the audience applauded him.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:14 am

DJL wrote:But at the show Tom Brown hosted and explained that the WB Turner couldn't find the originals for the outtakes and that's why they are so dark. He continued to explain that Elvis fans don't care about that. We just love him and can listen to him anyway possible from a scratchy 45 to an 8 tracks to cassettes, we will take him anyway we can because it's ELvis.

Well that just sums up the attitude I've explained in the past doesn't it! It's an Elvis product, so we can sleep at the wheel because Elvis fans are idiots and don't really care anyway!

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:17 am

DJL wrote:... we will take him anyway we can because it's ELvis. Nice cover up and of course the audience applauded him.

Sigh...I have no doubt they did. :facep:

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:19 am

DJL wrote:Leaving Memphis today and I have to say I enjoyed the trip and will try to share some exciting things going on here. I came down to see TTWII on the big screen so I missed most of the Elvis Week stuff. The film was pretty cool but mostly because of the reaction of the fans during the show. Very awesome! But at the show Tom Brown hosted and explained that the WB Turner couldn't find the originals for the outtakes and that's why they are so dark. He continued to explain that Elvis fans don't care about that. We just love him and can listen to him anyway possible from a scratchy 45 to an 8 tracks to cassettes, we will take him anyway we can because it's ELvis. Nice cover up and of course the audience applauded him.

Wow! He really said that?? If you see him again, can you punch him in the face for me... :smt062

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:23 am

Yeah I hate to say it but that was pretty much the jist of Brown's remarks right before he began to show some of the outtakes.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:26 am

DJL wrote:But at the show Tom Brown hosted and explained that the WB Turner couldn't find the originals for the outtakes and that's why they are so dark.

How disorganized are those guys at Warner that they could somehow misplace the originals? :facep: I don't really believe that to be possible. It's actually very convenient for WB that the originals can't be found and the outtakes have to be presented in subpar quality. That way they have a reason to release an updated version of the Blu-ray in the futue that has the outtakes in better quality. Elvis fans will buy it again, of course. :smt023

DJL wrote:He continued to explain that Elvis fans don't care about that. We just love him and can listen to him anyway possible from a scratchy 45 to an 8 tracks to cassettes, we will take him anyway we can because it's ELvis. Nice cover up and of course the audience applauded him.

:smt021

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:38 am

Rideon wrote:How disorganized are those guys at Warner that they could somehow misplace the originals? :facep: I don't really believe that to be possible. It's actually very convenient for WB that the originals can't be found and the outtakes have to be presented in subpar quality.

Oh, I believe it's the video master they made a few years ago that they've misplaced, not the original film elements! Heaven forbid new transfers are made! :wink:

The outtakes look awful on the BluRay and play noticeably too fast (Girl Happy mode!), they might as well not be on there at all.

Seriously considering getting an old laserdisc player and tracking down a copy of The Lost Performances.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:44 am

Seriously considering getting an old laserdisc player and tracking down a copy of The Lost Performances.

Actually have them both and a worth while investment! :D After all we will watch Elvis anyway that we can.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:21 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
Tomek wrote:Cool man, thanks.

Sure.. they look just as bad as before.
s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

Has anyone received any feedback from Feltenstein at Warner Brothers?

George Feltenstein (SVP Warner Bros. Marketing)
george.feltenstein@warnerbros.com

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:35 am

Justin wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Anybody else noticed how charlie hodge is mispelled as Charley Hodge?

As I see more and more screen shots from this BR release the more confident I feel about sitting out this purchase. I will probably get it at some point but at a lower price point or maybe even used but there is no rush. The picture looks very dark and while the colors appear deeper, the overall image does not pop. I was incredibly impressed when the original TTWII SE was released on both VHS and then DVD a decade ago. The colors were vibrant and every scene leaped out at you. You could tell there was significant work done to the footage. I can't say the same about what I'm seeing so far in these screen grabs. The colors are deeper but the overall feel is muted. I'm sure it looks fine on an HDTV but given all the samples I've seen...I'm not bowled over. I was looking forward to this release but I feel I can live without it.

You aren't going to miss much by waiting. To my eyes and ears, there isn't much difference between the Blu-Ray and SE DVD.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:00 am

Spinout wrote:I saw it today in the theater as well. Only 10 people total, and 7 were my group.

How pathetic is that? Elvis fans dwindling in number. Sad.