Topic author
rockinrebel
Registered for: 21 years

Elvis Is Back! - Complete Artwork

Post by rockinrebel »

eib3.jpg
eib2.jpg
eib1.jpg
These were created following discussions between myself and fellow member EPA 4368 in respect of what RCA could have done with the "Elvis Is Back"!" artwork had the album not been rush released. Ideally a posed shot of Elvis from March 1960 would have been ideal, but as there were no publicity photos taken until work began on "G.I. Blues", this wasn't possible.

As the album really showcases Elvis' talent as a musician, I would have also liked to have used photos from the actual sessions, but again (to the best of my knowledge) the first photos we have of Elvis' recording post army are from the "G.I. Blues" sessions. Therefore, I have used a little artistic license, with the time-frame for the photographs going from 1958 to August 1960.

I couldn't decide on one final design either, so there are several variations, including a nice tribute to the French version of the album, which I always liked the look of. Full size uploads will be posted on the blog soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rockinrebel on Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polksalade8
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Re: Elvis Is Back! - Previews

Post by polksalade8 »

very good job
very good selection of photos
more beautiful than the original
bravo

JeroenNL
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by JeroenNL »

WOW!!! These are great! Would love to download them! I like 1 & 2 the best. Please upload them all to your site.

Topic author
rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

JeroenNL wrote:WOW!!! These are great! Would love to download them! I like 1 & 2 the best. Please upload them all to your site.
Hi Jeroen,

The covers will be available for download soon. I'm just working on the blog post and will hopefully have it finished for weekend.

JeroenNL

Post by JeroenNL »

Looking very much forward to these! :-) Thanks!! Do you have CD labels as well? :-)

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by EPA4368 »

Awesome Work!

Better Than The Original :smt023

Topic author
rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

EPA4368 wrote:Awesome Work!

Better Than The Original :smt023
Thanks, your input was much appreciated too. Just working on a pdf file, with some background information on the design process. Then I will upload this and all of the high resolution artwork.

Just found a photo for a late addition to the alternate covers too :)

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by fn2drive »

Really is amazing what care and creativity can create. RCA had zero interest in either.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

JeroenNL

Post by JeroenNL »

Can't wait to see them all on your site rockinrebel! Thanks!!

Topic author
rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

Thanks again to everyone for the positive feedback. The article to accompany the artwork is almost ready and should be completed by this weekend at the latest.

Unfortunately, I have been distracted by the world cup :)

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Thanks for your time and effort RR!!

Topic author
rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

Joe Car wrote:Thanks for your time and effort RR!!
Thanks, Joe.

Topic author
rockinrebel

Re: Elvis Is Back! - Complete Artwork

Post by rockinrebel »

Artwork now available for download:

https://memoryrevival.wordpress.com/

polksalade8

Post by polksalade8 »

superclass
the work of professional
more beautiful than the album
output to the age
What is the next alternate art ?
...fantastic

Topic author
rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

polksalade8 wrote:superclass
the work of professional
more beautiful than the album
output to the age
What is the next alternate art ?
...fantastic
Thank you. Glad you liked them. There are a couple of DVD covers on the way. The "Elvis In Concert" one which is previewed on this page, and also "The Spirit Of '71".

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by EPA4368 »

OUTSTANDING work and you hit it out of the park with the story behind the design process. AWESOME!

I agree when you consider the timeframe in which the album was recorded, I wouldn’t be critical for RCA using the earlier publicity photo, but thought they missed it with using the army photo on backside and especially the black & white army photographs inside of the gatefold sleeve. Parker was probably more interested in promoting Elvis' new film and I'm surprised he didn't use an army photo on the frontside too. I thought army photos should’ve ended with A Date With Elvis.

I think using photos from the Graceland press conference would've been RCA's only option with having such a tight timeframe around the time of the actual recording sessions and love the "It's Now Or Never/A Mess Of Blues" artwork.

I'm hoping someone answers your request having photographs from the sessions. I met two guys at a record convention many years ago, said they worked at RCA and RCA did have photos from the sessions, but the photos were either misplace or taken.

They also said, although nothing was documented in RCA's files wanting to use the LOC format (booklet) like they did for Elvis' Christmas Album for Elvis Is Back, it was considered and only one 60's album was documented wanting to use the LOC format.

polksalade8

Post by polksalade8 »

Hello
there
it would be nice
to do the same thing with
something for everybody

steve rogers
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by steve rogers »

well, what can we say..except..WOW! what a job and what a great work!
steve

dennyelvis
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by dennyelvis »

Awesome work Rebel, true talent, if we had yours in digipack they would sell like hot cakes ..............

The image is one thing and the human being is another. It’s very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.

Topic author
rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

EPA4368 wrote:OUTSTANDING work and you hit it out of the park with the story behind the design process. AWESOME!

I agree when you consider the timeframe in which the album was recorded, I wouldn’t be critical for RCA using the earlier publicity photo, but thought they missed it with using the army photo on backside and especially the black & white army photographs inside of the gatefold sleeve. Parker was probably more interested in promoting Elvis' new film and I'm surprised he didn't use an army photo on the frontside too. I thought army photos should’ve ended with A Date With Elvis.

I think using photos from the Graceland press conference would've been RCA's only option with having such a tight timeframe around the time of the actual recording sessions and love the "It's Now Or Never/A Mess Of Blues" artwork.

I'm hoping someone answers your request having photographs from the sessions. I met two guys at a record convention many years ago, said they worked at RCA and RCA did have photos from the sessions, but the photos were either misplace or taken.

They also said, although nothing was documented in RCA's files wanting to use the LOC format (booklet) like they did for Elvis' Christmas Album for Elvis Is Back, it was considered and only one 60's album was documented wanting to use the LOC format.

Thanks for the extra information re: the RCA photo files. It would be wonderful if photos from the "Elvis Is Back!" sessions did turn up one day.

Glad you liked the designs and thanks for your input throughout the design process. It's always helpful to hear the thoughts and opinions of other fans.

Topic author
rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

polksalade8 wrote:Hello
there
it would be nice
to do the same thing with
something for everybody
Thanks for the kind words. "Something For Everybody" sounds like a good idea. It's always been a favourite of mine, and it's an under rated album too in my opinion.

Also there is the original US artwork, and the uncropped Canadian design, so there are alternative design styles to work with too.

Topic author
rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

steve rogers wrote:well, what can we say..except..WOW! what a job and what a great work!
steve
Thanks for the kind words Steve. Glad you like the designs.

Topic author
rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

dennyelvis wrote:Awesome work Rebel, true talent, if we had yours in digipack they would sell like hot cakes ..............
Thanks Denny. Glad you like the designs. I'm having printer problems at the moment, and it looks like I'm going to have to buy a new one soon. When I'm up and running again I'm planning to print some digi packs to see how they look, and will post the results here.

Also,I would welcome input from all fans in respect of new designs and projects, so if anyone has any ideas please get in touch.

dennyelvis
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by dennyelvis »

What do u use to design them on ? PS ? i use Xara Designer Pro X9

http://pro.magix.com/en/designer-pro/overview.324.html

give the demo a try ........... the links at the bottom of the add ............ ne probs gettin it let me know .............

The image is one thing and the human being is another. It’s very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.

Topic author
rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

dennyelvis wrote:What do u use to design them on ? PS ? i use Xara Designer Pro X9

http://pro.magix.com/en/designer-pro/overview.324.html

give the demo a try ........... the links at the bottom of the add ............ ne probs gettin it let me know .............
Thanks. On the netbook at the moment, but will try out the software over the weekend and let you know how it goes.

All of my recent work has been done in photoshop.