Your all-time favourite Beatles song?

Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, londonflash, Site Mechanic

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Re: Your all-time favourite Beatles song?

Post by rjm »

Oh, btw, Frank Sinatra LOVED "Something" but thought it was a L/M. He said something to Harrison about what a great song they did. He, uh, corrected him. Lotta guts there!

Just for the record. But I love the one I picked.

rjm

Sent via mobile

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

memfisking
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by memfisking »

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:Although I liked John's songs overall the best, my fave has got to be We Can Work It Out. From the opening note, this is the perfect pop song, lyrics, melody, and just fantastic harmonies on the bridge, which I m still trying to figure out. This song was something special. I also think it was John's finest moment as a rhythm guitar player. Was that an accordian in there also?
You're thinking of the harmonium, played by John.

"We Can Work It Out" is also a joint composition, with Paul coming up with the verse and chorus, John the devastating middle eight ("Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend ...").

We Can Work It Out | The Beatles Bible
http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/we-can-work-it-out/
Yes it does sound like a joint effort and thats when their magic worked best. The devastating middle eight is my favorite part of ANY Beatles song!
That 'devastating' (what a ridiculous term) middle eight was co-written by Paul and John. But what makes it , oh so special, is the change in tempo and for that we can thank George Harrison.

"I had the idea, the title, had a couple of verses and the basic idea for it, then I took it to John to finish it off and we wrote the middle together. Which is nice: ‘Life is very short. There’s no time for fussing and fighting, my friend.’ Then it was George Harrison’s idea to put the middle into waltz time, like a German waltz. That came on the session, it was one of the cases of the arrangement being done on the session.
Paul McCartney
Many Years From Now, Barry Miles"

Just wanted to set the record straight as some here like to alter history to suit their own agenda, regarding The Beatles.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

memfisking wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:Although I liked John's songs overall the best, my fave has got to be We Can Work It Out. From the opening note, this is the perfect pop song, lyrics, melody, and just fantastic harmonies on the bridge, which I m still trying to figure out. This song was something special. I also think it was John's finest moment as a rhythm guitar player. Was that an accordian in there also?

"We Can Work It Out" is also a joint composition, with Paul coming up with the verse and chorus, John the devastating middle eight ("Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend ...").

Yes it does sound like a joint effort and thats when their magic worked best. The devastating middle eight is my favorite part of ANY Beatles song!
That 'devastating' (what a ridiculous term) middle eight was co-written by Paul and John. But what makes it , oh so special, is the change in tempo and for that we can thank George Harrison.

"I had the idea, the title, had a couple of verses and the basic idea for it, then I took it to John to finish it off and we wrote the middle together. Which is nice: ‘Life is very short. There’s no time for fussing and fighting, my friend.’ Then it was George Harrison’s idea to put the middle into waltz time, like a German waltz. That came on the session, it was one of the cases of the arrangement being done on the session.
Paul McCartney
Just wanted to set the record straight as some here
like to alter history to suit their own agenda, regarding The Beatles.
Nobodies trying to change history to suit their own agenda. Why did you say that? Did you even bother
to look at the link the Doc supplied? Go to the link
and read the story about the song, the information
is there, incidently by Barry Davies' "Many Years From Now".

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

memfisking
Banned
Banned

Post by memfisking »

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
memfisking wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Paul McCartney
Just wanted to set the record straight as some here
like to alter history to suit their own agenda, regarding The Beatles.
Nobodies trying to change history to suit their own agenda. Why did you say that? Did you even bother
to look at the link the Doc supplied? Go to the link
and read the story about the song, the information
is there, incidently by Barry Davies' "Many Years From Now".
Did you read the Doc's quote? Obviously not.

He said John Lennon wrote the 'devastating middle eight', he clearly did not, as 3 members of the Beatles had a hand in writing the 'middle eight' and it was George's input that made it so special.
He could have said that Lennon contributed to it but no, he said that he wrote it.

Btw 'ManyYears From Now' was written by Barry Miles not Barry Davies.

It seems like you are in such a hurry to defend the Doc that you ignore basic facts.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by memfisking on Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

Yes, i did read the Doc's quote and thats what it says in the link he supplied that "John wrote the middle 8th" and thats coming from John's own words.

I hope this helps.

memfisking
Banned
Banned

Post by memfisking »

"I had the idea, the title, had a couple of verses and the basic idea for it, then I took it to John to finish it off and we wrote the middle together. Which is nice: ‘Life is very short. There’s no time for fussing and fighting, my friend.’ Then it was George Harrison’s idea to put the middle into waltz time, like a German waltz. That came on the session, it was one of the cases of the arrangement being done on the session."
Paul McCartney
Many Years From Now, Barry Miles

You can't say I didn't try.

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

memfisking wrote:"I had the idea, the title, had a couple of verses and the basic idea for it, then I took it to John to finish it off and we wrote the middle together. Which is nice: ‘Life is very short. There’s no time for fussing and fighting, my friend.’ Then it was George Harrison’s idea to put the middle into waltz time, like a German waltz. That came on the session, it was one of the cases of the arrangement being done on the session."
Paul McCartney

Stop being an idiot and go to the link the Doc supplied and read what it says there...

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

"Oh Darling" and" Bungalow Bill" are my 2 favorite Beatles tracks

-instagram kenh1964

memfisking
Banned
Banned

Post by memfisking »

memfisking wrote:"I had the idea, the title, had a couple of verses and the basic idea for it, then I took it to John to finish it off and we wrote the middle together. Which is nice: ‘Life is very short. There’s no time for fussing and fighting, my friend.’ Then it was George Harrison’s idea to put the middle into waltz time, like a German waltz. That came on the session, it was one of the cases of the arrangement being done on the session."
Paul McCartney

Stop being an idiot and go to the link the Doc supplied and read what it says there...
That is where I got this quote, which you seem to completely ignore. Ah well.

Have a nice one.

memfisking
Banned
Banned

Post by memfisking »

The Beatles have so many great songs I can't single one out.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Paul McCartney

I'm sorry I brought the song up lol (but its still my favorite)

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

r&b wrote:
Paul McCartney

I'm sorry I brought the song up lol (but its still my favorite)
Don't let one of the usual suspects ruin a nice topic. :smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

There are lots of candidates for the title of "best ever Beatles single", but "We Can Work It Out" / "Day Tripper" is one of the strongest, I think.

I have a soft spot for "She Loves You" / "I'll Get You", too.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Mister Moon wrote:There are lots of candidates for the title of "best ever Beatles single", but "We Can Work It Out" / "Day Tripper" is one of the strongest, I think.

Yes with Day Tripper on the flip, another song at the top of their game, its probably their strongest 2 sided single.

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

Mister Moon wrote:There are lots of candidates for the title of "best ever Beatles single", but "We Can Work It Out" / "Day Tripper" is one of the strongest, I think.

"We Can Work It Out" / "Day Tripper" is certainly a strong one. John calls "Day Tripper" their first "druggy song" and what a druggy song it is.

I have a soft spot for "Hey Jude" / "Revolution".

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

I'm not a huge Beatles fan but I like some of their songs.

These are the songs that I like by them and it's hard to pick which one is my favorite.

Twist & shout
I'll follow the sun
Ticket to ride
Help
I'm looking through you.
Wait
Eleanor Rigby
Revolution
The fool on the hill
Here comes the sun
Get back
Don't let me down
one after 909.

Topic author
luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

brian wrote:I'm not a huge Beatles fan but I like some of their songs.

These are the songs that I like by them and it's hard to pick which one is my favorite.

Twist & shout
I'll follow the sun
Ticket to ride
Help
I'm looking through you.
Wait
Eleanor Rigby
Revolution
The fool on the hill
Here comes the sun
Get back
Don't let me down
one after 909.
Not a bad list, brian, some nice picks among them.

@Mister Moon: I also have a soft spot for the "She Loves You" / "I'll Get You" single as it was one of the very first things I heard from the Fab Four.
I think my parents owned the following "Odeon" singles:

"She Loves You" / "I'll Get You"
"A Hard Day's Night" / "Things We Said Today"
"Can't Buy Me Love" / "You Can't Do That"
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/With A Little Help From My Friends" / "Within You Without You"

and my cousin owned the "Hey Jude" / "Revolution" single.

This explains why "Things We Said Today" and especially "You Can't Do That" are still some of my favourite Beatles tunes, although I prefer them in mono.

Took me years to give the "Red Album" a first spin (back in 1988) and get used to songs like "I Feel Fine" or "Ticket To Ride" but they haunt me since then.
Actually I really loved "Love Me Do" from the very first start, must have heard it as a little bitty child. Pure magic, just like Elvis' recording of "That's All Right".

I purchased the "Blue Album" in 1993 when issued on CD and I couldn't believe what wonderful music was on there, with a few exceptions I still don't really care for - songs like "Octopus's Garden", "The Fool On The Hill" or "Old Brown Shoe".

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

luckyjackson1 wrote:I also have a soft spot for the "She Loves You" / "I'll Get You" single as it was one of the very first things I heard from the Fab Four.

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/With A Little Help From My Friends" / "Within You Without You"

This explains why "Things We Said Today" and especially "You Can't Do That" are still some of my favourite Beatles tunes, although I prefer them in mono.
"Things We Said Today" and "You Can't Do That" are fantastic recordings, both from the "A Hard Day's Night" album, one of my favourites, as I said above.

Regarding "I'll Get You", I heard it for the first time in the old "Rarities" EMI album, later replaced and expanded by the "Past Masters" volumes.

"I'll Get You" has an irresistible Merseybeat groove, and in the hands of a less prolific band it would have been an A-side. It's cool to notice the vocal mistakes in the bridge of this song - no need to repair them, that's rock and roll.

I also like the live version included in the first volume of the "Anthology" CDs.

Thirteen years later, Ramones cut a song for their second album which has clear reminiscences of this Lennon / McCartney minimasterpiece :

Ramones - "What's Your Game" - Sire album "Ramones Leave Home" - Recorded 1976.

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Mister Moon wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:I also have a soft spot for the "She Loves You" / "I'll Get You" single as it was one of the very first things I heard from the Fab Four.

"Things We Said Today" and "You Can't Do That" are fantastic recordings, both from the "A Hard Day's Night" album, one of my favourites, as I said above.

Regarding "I'll Get You", I heard it for the first time in the old "Rarities" EMI album, later replaced and expanded by the "Past Masters" volumes.

"I'll Get You" has an irresistible Merseybeat groove, and in the hands of a less prolific band it would have been an A-side. It's cool to notice the vocal mistakes in the bridge of this song - no need to repair them, that's rock and roll.

I also like the live version included in the first volume of the "Anthology" CDs.

Thirteen years later, Ramones cut a song for their second album which has clear reminiscences of this Lennon / McCartney minimasterpiece :

Ramones - "What's Your Game" - Sire album "Ramones Leave Home" - Recorded 1976.
Yeah, right now I try to remember the usually well-known lyrics mistake but just don't get it. They played "From Me To You" this morning on the radio and I just can't get it out of my head... :wink:

For a little company
There's always me

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by EPA4368 »

So many songs it's impossible to pick one, but today it's "I Feel Fine"

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

EPA4368 wrote:So many songs it's impossible to pick one, but today it's "I Feel Fine"

Already been posted on page 1

Great video, just love it!....the start of their surreal days.

dennisdee
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by dennisdee »

for me its gotta to be: "Penny Lane"

Just love the opening of the song! and the rest too of course.

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

dennisdee wrote:for me its gotta to be: "Penny Lane"

How do you like the alternative "Beatles" ending as featured on the Anthology album?

For a little company
There's always me

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

luckyjackson1 wrote:

How do you like the alternative "Beatles" ending as featured on the Anthology album?
The 1996 Anthology 2 release features the extra six notes during the coda by piccolo trumpeter David Mason, along with some studio noodling.

The Beatles - Penny Lane (Anthology 2 Disc 2)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthology_2#Track_listing
http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/penny-lane/2/

But these closing notes were originally released in 1967 on the promotional pressing of the "Strawberry Fields Forever" / "Penny Lane" single.

Genius at work!
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:

The 1996 Anthology 2 release features the extra six notes during the code by piccolo trumpeter David Mason, along with some studio noodling.

The Beatles - Penny Lane (Anthology 2 Disc 2)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthology_2#Track_listing
http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/penny-lane/2/

But these closing notes were originally released in 1967 on the promotional pressing of the "Strawberry Fields Forever" / "Penny Lane" single.

Genius at work!
By the way, a very rare and valuable single nowadays. I sold a copy in the late 70's. Should have kept it. Impossible to find a real one. Bootlegs exist!