Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Mon May 26, 2014 11:45 pm

Eddie wrote:X-Men Days of Future Past, thoroughly enjoyed it, a great addition to the series certainly as good as any of them and a little bit more imo, will go back and see it again on the big screen for it will lose a lot on the tv screen I'm sure, highly recommended entertainment. Nice to see Bryan Singer back at the helm also.

I thought this was very good, too, Eddie. Perhaps the best in the series since X-Men 2. Although there was plenty of exposition and it was a bit convoluted, but it was well acted and directed with real panache and forward momentum. The special effects were also superb and the dynamic between the Charles Xavier we know and the young Xavier created a real narrative heft. I'm really looking forward to X-Men: Apocalypse but will hopefully see this again in the cinema.

Tue May 27, 2014 8:50 am

Eddie wrote:X-Men Days of Future Past, thoroughly enjoyed it, a great addition to the series certainly as good as any of them and a little bit more imo, will go back and see it again on the big screen for it will lose a lot on the tv screen I'm sure, highly recommended entertainment. Nice to see Bryan Singer back at the helm also.

Enjoyed it too despite some scenes which I thought were too long. But having such cool dudes as James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Hugh Jackman in one movie is really a joy!

Tue May 27, 2014 5:26 pm

Horrible bosses 4.5/6 , guess Aniston got tired of rom-coms ;)

Guilt Trip 4.5/6 , deserved better at box office......

Madagascar 3 , 3/6......stale , I remember #2 as more fun. This time they go to Europe.

Tue May 27, 2014 6:16 pm

I had read reviews claiming it was confusing, especially for those who hadn't seen the previous ones....huh? Why you would be there having not seen them is a mystery to me and a bit of an easy critique. Again I've read it a bit convoluted but I didn't think so, there was a helluva lot going on , no doubt about that and perhaps some of the characters we know were just making an appearance for the sake of it but, I really enjoyed the whole time travel laying waste to the 1970s history, one scene, I did find a little hard to swallow narrative wise and just had to go with it though.It's not a perfect film but, certainly worthy of the admission price. Nice to see Wolverine not hogging the limelight as much, giving others, Mystique in particular the chance to shine. The entire future scenes were immensely enjoyable and really for the first time in the series did believe the x-men in real peril. Really would like to see more of that. Dont know how the box office is shaping up for the movie but the big hits tend to be the returning customer ones, for me this is one of those.

Tue May 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Eddie wrote:I had read reviews claiming it was confusing, especially for those who hadn't seen the previous ones....huh? Why you would be there having not seen them is a mystery to me and a bit of an easy critique. Again I've read it a bit convoluted but I didn't think so, there was a helluva lot going on , no doubt about that and perhaps some of the characters we know were just making an appearance for the sake of it but, I really enjoyed the whole time travel laying waste to the 1970s history, one scene, I did find a little hard to swallow narrative wise and just had to go with it though.It's not a perfect film but, certainly worthy of the admission price. Nice to see Wolverine not hogging the limelight as much, giving others, Mystique in particular the chance to shine. The entire future scenes were immensely enjoyable and really for the first time in the series did believe the x-men in real peril. Really would like to see more of that. Dont know how the box office is shaping up for the movie but the big hits tend to be the returning customer ones, for me this is one of those.

It's doing great business, Eddie. $171 million internationally on its opening weekend.

Tue May 27, 2014 9:21 pm

Not too shabby at all, it's actually been a very good year thus far film wise, I find myself at the cinema more these past five months than the previous two years. Long may it continue.

Wed May 28, 2014 2:14 pm

Watched "12 Years A Slave" among others. I was impressed yet shocked. I think Michael Fassbender is such a fine actor, really enjoy his on-screen presence.

Wed May 28, 2014 2:44 pm

Last night i watched two recent horror movies .The first was Oculus
Mike Flanagan is the co-writer and director of Oculus, which was developed with co-screenwriter Jeff Howard from Flanagan’s own 2006 short film. By design, it’s a psychological thriller masquerading as a haunted house movie, and Flanagan wisely avoids cheap jump scares in favor of letting the dread develop naturally.
Karen Gillan, a Scottish actress mainly known for her role on Doctor Who, plays Kaylie, a twentysomething antiques dealer who has finally come into possession of a mirror with supposed supernatural powers. Her younger brother Tim (played by Brenton Thwaites) is recently released from a mental hospital, and she convinces him to spend the night with the cursed mirror in the house where their parents (Sackhoff and Cochrane) were murdered. Tim has finally come to grips that his own delusions were the real cause of their childhood tragedy, but his sister clearly hasn’t.
What’s brilliant about the screenplay is that Kaylie introduces the “rules” of the mirror’s power right away, as well as her own carefully constructed plan to thwart the mirror and exact revenge. The film then flashes back and forth to the present-day plot while strategically filling in the backstory of that awful night 11 years ago. It’s an effective technique not just because it draws numerous parallels between stories, but because it constantly calls into question the sanity of all four characters.
Flanagan gets great mileage out of the fallible perspectives of Tim and Kaylie, putting the audience in their shoes as much as possible. How much of the narrative can we trust if the person conveying it has a possible mental illness?
Remove the supernatural threat and you have a film that preys on the sometimes scary dynamic of any dysfunctional family. Leave it in and you have a genuinely creepy ghost story that spotlights some nightmarish scenarios without resorting to gore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 28, 2014 2:52 pm

And the second i watched was Hammer Films latest offering "The Quiet Ones"

A paranormal researcher with skepticism about the concept of evil and a predatory bent (Jared Harris, never better); his three Oxford-student assistants; a violently mentally disturbed young woman who may be “possessed” (Olivia Cooke in a wrenching performance); an old dark house in the country; and the Hammer Film Productions trademark. Despite a few overdone sound shock cuts and the usual things that go bump in the night, thriller director John Pogue (Ghost Ship, Quarantine 2: The Terminal) pries a very watchable horror film, psychological shocker, or whatever you want to call it, out of the screenplay he wrote with Craig Rosenberg and Oren Moverman (adapted from Tom de Ville’s original screenplay). The acting, especially by Harris, Cooke, and Sam Claflin, carries the ball even when the Exorcist business fails to. A snapping good workout for all concerned
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 28, 2014 5:53 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Watched "12 Years A Slave" among others. I was impressed yet shocked. I think Michael Fassbender is such a fine actor, really enjoy his on-screen presence.

Michael Fassbender is a fine actor and one of my favourites. His performances are usually of a high standard and he frequently seeks challenging roles and pursues interesting material -- and even in movies I don't rate so highly, such as Prometheus and The Counselor, Fassbender was still reliable and very good in the former. His work with Steve McQueen has been very rewarding and hugely impressive, not just in 12 Years a Slave but in Hunger and in Shame, which are both very good movies in their own right. He's also terrific in Frank, where he further displays just how remarkable he is as a physical actor. And who better to play the younger Magneto in The X-Men?!

Wed May 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Eddie wrote:Not too shabby at all, it's actually been a very good year thus far film wise, I find myself at the cinema more these past five months than the previous two years. Long may it continue.

I think so, too. What's been your favourites so far this year, Eddie? Top five, perhaps?!

Wed May 28, 2014 9:30 pm

I'd rate Dallas Buyers Club above all others I've seen this year Greystoke, not only for it's wonderful acting but also for the hard work in getting the film made and on a tiny budget that really showed faith from all involved in it's story,a truly magnificent film all round. Other favourites are of course 12 Years a Slave, think they may have been late last year releases but I didnt see them until the turn of the year. Fassbender again, as you said earlier, great performance from a fine actor who goes from strength to strength in his career, X-Men Days of Future Past is up there now among my top movies for the reasons mentioned earlier. Really liked Godzilla, while knowing nothing of the traditional origin story really enjoyed that it didnt go the typical Hollywood route these movies tend to travel. Against my better judgement I went to see 300 Rise of an Empire and found it so over the top I couldnt help but like it, Only Lovers Left Alive was a little indie film that caught me unawares, Noah, I quite enjoyed though still feel the director has something in him that will one day truly make up for his miss fires. There are so many Ive missed, Frank, Locke and Captain America, most likely will now catch on the small screen and really looking forwards to the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Wed May 28, 2014 11:43 pm

keninlincs wrote:And the second i watched was Hammer Films latest offering "The Quiet Ones"

A paranormal researcher with skepticism about the concept of evil and a predatory bent (Jared Harris, never better); his three Oxford-student assistants; a violently mentally disturbed young woman who may be “possessed” (Olivia Cooke in a wrenching performance); an old dark house in the country; and the Hammer Film Productions trademark. Despite a few overdone sound shock cuts and the usual things that go bump in the night, thriller director John Pogue (Ghost Ship, Quarantine 2: The Terminal) pries a very watchable horror film, psychological shocker, or whatever you want to call it, out of the screenplay he wrote with Craig Rosenberg and Oren Moverman (adapted from Tom de Ville’s original screenplay). The acting, especially by Harris, Cooke, and Sam Claflin, carries the ball even when the Exorcist business fails to. A snapping good workout for all concerned

Good review, Ken. Although I wasn't nearly as fond of The Quiet Ones as you are. I found it very disappointing.

Wed May 28, 2014 11:56 pm

Eddie wrote:I'd rate Dallas Buyers Club above all others I've seen this year Greystoke, not only for it's wonderful acting but also for the hard work in getting the film made and on a tiny budget that really showed faith from all involved in it's story,a truly magnificent film all round. Other favourites are of course 12 Years a Slave, think they may have been late last year releases but I didnt see them until the turn of the year. Fassbender again, as you said earlier, great performance from a fine actor who goes from strength to strength in his career, X-Men Days of Future Past is up there now among my top movies for the reasons mentioned earlier. Really liked Godzilla, while knowing nothing of the traditional origin story really enjoyed that it didnt go the typical Hollywood route these movies tend to travel. Against my better judgement I went to see 300 Rise of an Empire and found it so over the top I couldnt help but like it, Only Lovers Left Alive was a little indie film that caught me unawares, Noah, I quite enjoyed though still feel the director has something in him that will one day truly make up for his miss fires. There are so many Ive missed, Frank, Locke and Captain America, most likely will now catch on the small screen and really looking forwards to the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

I really enjoyed Only Lovers Left Alive, too. That's a sombre and subtle gem of a movie. I recommend Frank and Locke very highly, and really enjoyed Maleficent, which I saw today. It's quite dark, with rich cinematography, striking imagery and a magnificent central performance from Angelina Jolie. It riffs on the Disney version of Sleeping Beauty but strives to tell its own tale. And does so very competently, with a fairy tale narrative and a richly three-dimensional central character who challenges expectations and affords genuine humanity in the process.

Thu May 29, 2014 9:11 pm

Might give that a look indeed thanks Greystoke, by the look of the trailer its a big screen film..yes? Going to have a look at the Tom Cruise action sci'fi Edge of Tomorrow, it's not expected to do well at the box office by some corners but have read some decent reviews. I admire his work ethic these days having reached the career stage he has now, he is working with great directors trying new things, an underated actor imo and cant recall the last bad film he made. Looking at my years favourites it must seem Im only into loud action testosterone filled fun, its really not the case lol, just been the way it has unfolded of late, Im a fan of any genre, a good well acted and directed film is just that regardless of target audience.

Thu May 29, 2014 9:23 pm

Eddie wrote:Might give that a look indeed thanks Greystoke, by the look of the trailer its a big screen film..yes? Going to have a look at the Tom Cruise action sci'fi Edge of Tomorrow, it's not expected to do well at the box office by some corners but have read some decent reviews. I admire his work ethic these days having reached the career stage he has now, he is working with great directors trying new things, an underated actor imo and cant recall the last bad film he made. Looking at my years favourites it must seem Im only into loud action testosterone filled fun, its really not the case lol, just been the way it has unfolded of late, Im a fan of any genre, a good well acted and directed film is just that regardless of target audience.

I'm seeing Edge of Tomorrow tomorrow, too, Eddie. I'm a big Tom Cruise fan and have been looking forward to this one. Cruise's work-ethic is certainly one of the things I admire most about him, but he's in another interesting phase of his career just now. I think Edge of Tomorrow will do Ok, but with Maleficent doing fairly well, it seems, X-Men likely to keep performing and A Million Ways to Die in the West there to sink or swim, it's going to be a good weekend at the box office, I'm sure.

Fri May 30, 2014 8:17 pm

greystoke wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Watched "12 Years A Slave" among others. I was impressed yet shocked. I think Michael Fassbender is such a fine actor, really enjoy his on-screen presence.

Michael Fassbender is a fine actor and one of my favourites. His performances are usually of a high standard and he frequently seeks challenging roles and pursues interesting material -- and even in movies I don't rate so highly, such as Prometheus and The Counselor, Fassbender was still reliable and very good in the former. His work with Steve McQueen has been very rewarding and hugely impressive, not just in 12 Years a Slave but in Hunger and in Shame, which are both very good movies in their own right. He's also terrific in Frank, where he further displays just how remarkable he is as a physical actor. And who better to play the younger Magneto in The X-Men?!

Fassbender is really good in Inglorious basterds and the lastest Xmen movies as well.

Fri May 30, 2014 8:23 pm

Saw the latest Xmen film. really good. But it would help if a person has seen at least a couple of the previous ones. otherwise u will be lost on quite a few things. The highlight scene was with "Quicksilver". a fun character that u wish there was more of in the movie. There is a scene involving him that is the highlight of the whole film. Interesting that another Jim Croce song appears in a big movie. First Django Unchained and now Xmen. His music is becoming a favorite among filmakers lately.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:30 pm

DEH wrote:Saw the latest Xmen film. really good. But it would help if a person has seen at least a couple of the previous ones. otherwise u will be lost on quite a few things. The highlight scene was with "Quicksilver". a fun character that u wish there was more of in the movie. There is a scene involving him that is the highlight of the whole film. Interesting that another Jim Croce song appears in a big movie. First Django Unchained and now Xmen. His music is becoming a favorite among filmakers lately.

I know what scene you're talking about and this was also the highlight for me! I think the movie had a good soundtrack anyway.

Just watched "Savaged"... uh... oh... errrr... hmmm...

Can't wait to see "The Wolf Of Wall Street" again, this time for the first time in english. But I'm not going to count the f-word, though! :wink:

Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:07 pm

Edge of Tomorrow, really enjoyable sci-fi/ action movie. Take James Camerons 'ALIENS' add 'GROUNDHOG DAY' and a little dash of 'Saving Private Ryan's beach landings'' mix them up and you pretty much have the premise of this film, it doesn't take itself too seriously but does give value for money on the screen with a virtual blast of action from the first to the last minute. My one criticism of it is the suits who make these movies with that wider audience rating of 12A imo are doing the film a disservice, really targeting the older audience would elevate a good enjoyable action/sci-fi into a movie that could have stood along side James Cameron's great Alien sequel. That said, do not let that dissuade anyone from seeing it, the film was a fun ride throughout and the action scenes stand out and hold their against any other movie I've seen. All in all [like X-Men Days of Future Past] I give it four out of five.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:36 am

Actually not a movie but I just watched Season 1 of "Orphan Black" - I think Tatiana Maslany is terrific in the leading role. And a very good show overall. Much better than a lot of the films today in my opinion.

But I think TV series are the future movies anyway.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:14 pm

Izzat 5/6 , about the rise of Oslos pakistani gangs in the 80s......great movie

Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:50 am

Eddie wrote:Edge of Tomorrow, really enjoyable sci-fi/ action movie. Take James Camerons 'ALIENS' add 'GROUNDHOG DAY' and a little dash of 'Saving Private Ryan's beach landings'' mix them up and you pretty much have the premise of this film, it doesn't take itself too seriously but does give value for money on the screen with a virtual blast of action from the first to the last minute. My one criticism of it is the suits who make these movies with that wider audience rating of 12A imo are doing the film a disservice, really targeting the older audience would elevate a good enjoyable action/sci-fi into a movie that could have stood along side James Cameron's great Alien sequel. That said, do not let that dissuade anyone from seeing it, the film was a fun ride throughout and the action scenes stand out and hold their against any other movie I've seen. All in all [like X-Men Days of Future Past] I give it four out of five.

Also watched "Edge Of Tomorrow" last saturday and despite the fake 3D I really enjoyed this movie! Give it 8.5 out of 10.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:02 pm

Just started watching the marvellous TV series "Fringe" again. Despite the rather weak Season 1 it's getting better and better and John Noble's acting is simply priceless.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:32 pm

I tend to give the 3D screenings of most movies a pass unless the reviews tell me its a must, I just finished Fringe for the first time around, a great show and personally I thought the first season was excellent, without its strong showing I would never have bought the box set and watched the entire five seasons. Ive just seen the fourth season Game of Thrones finale and after the last two episodes I thought it couldn't keep that standard but I was wrong, yet another great end to a terrific season, got to wait till next year for more now..oooft.